Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flims/Laax/Falera winter 08/09

Poster: A snowHead
I guess I might as well start this now. Season starts in just over two weeks and Flims and Falera are white on the web cams (can't see much of Laax on the web cam at the mo). Looks like around 15cm at Curnius and there are icicles on the cameras at Crap Sogn Gion
snow report
 brian
brian
eng_ch, c'mon, where's your enthusiasm ?

30cm of Crap snow, according to SLF:

http://www.slf.ch/lawineninfo/schneeinfo/stationsdaten/rk30_sd_c_EN
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
brian, being strictly damped down as I have far too much work to get through between now and then! But we are planning on being there on 15th Wink Let's hope the weather doesn't warm up too much as this dump would be a nice base
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
so this is my snow report playground fo the year Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dan100, when we can get down there and aren't working all weekend (she says with feeling!). Definitely planning on being there on 15th for opening day. The web site is being rather cagey at the moment about which side(s) will be open that early - they only ran the Flims lifts for the first couple of weeks last year - but there are events at the Rider's Palace on the evening of 15th and the Laax ticket office is due to be open from that date so I'm hoping they'll be opening up our side right at the start too
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The season in Flims/Laax started this last weekend but we didn't get up there because we were too busy fitting a ceiling in the bathroom. However I did take a pic across to the Val Signina to show that, although there was no snow at village level, the snow line is not much above.

Only the glacier is open at the moment, and access is only from Flims - but I think the main reason for that is that they're desperately trying to get enough work done on The Rocks for Laax to function when it opens on 29th Nov - as yet there is no lift pass office or ski school office, but the ground floor of a couple of the new buildings are being dried out in a hurry and fitting out is about to begin. Anyone who's been to Laax before will hardly recognise the place.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We are going to arrive at Laax cons this weekend on 22.11.08., 8 people together.
If we have to believe the snow-forecast com, snow things are going to improve this week Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cbr7, welcome to snowHead The forecast on Meteoschweiz is for snow right down to Zurich level by Saturday. Looks like the worst risk is likely to be of lift closures owing to high winds. Do bear in mind, though, that it is still glacier season so any skiing lower than than is a bonus and all access is from Flims until 29th so you'll need to get the shuttle bus along. Cons is pretty though, and Laax Dorf is quite chocolate-boxy. Enjoy!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank`s for advise, eng ch!
We have arranged the Renault Traffic in Zurich, but there was discussion if we really need to..
The website has no info about ski bus service Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
cbr7, it's a shite web site isn't it? It should be on the bus stops and you can usually pick up a timetable in the tourist office. I'd suggest you go to the bus stop on foot in street shoes when you arrive and check out the times. It usually runs half-hourly in the main season, and hourly through the night
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just got down to Laax, snowing hard, roads covered, about 30cm has fallen since about lunchtime by the look of it Very Happy Due to carry on like this until Sunday morning/lunchtime. Can now only wait and hope the weather allows the lifts to open Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pics please Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eng_ch good news

now have 2 weekends in jan booked flying into to zurich so planning to visit the area at least once this winter Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So, good news! Very Happy
Waiting taxi to the airport....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski, I think I've left the cable at home Confused Will have to see if the card reader I left here works... A good 40 cm here at 1100m now, can't see across to the cable car building for all the snow on the trees, really interesting effects on the stone cladding of the building in The Rocks... However, all lifts closed today owing to storm force winds up high. Oh well, we'll just have to throw snowballs at the dog instead - it's a hard life Wink
latest report
cbr7, you have a PM

kitenski, looks like the card reader is boogered and would need to go to Chur for a new one Sad So you'll have to wait until Monday, sorry!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just been out for 2 hours with the dog, up the back lanes of Murschetg and over to Larnags, Rutschen put his touring boots on and I stomed in street boots, so a certain person, mentioning no names, has got some powder turns in today despite lifts being closed, and I had an enjoyable stomp while going green with envy. In places the dog was sinking up to beyond his belly which makes the snow depths getting on for a metre in places. Loads of pics to follow when I can get them off the camera Wink
snow conditions
eng_ch, jealous, me ? Yes totally.
ski holidays
Everything closed again today but loadsa snow. Have never seen so much snow at Chur, irrespective of time of year - and it's only November!
ski holidays
So the promised pics. We got a bit snap happy so just a little selection.

First one to give you an idea of how much snow had fallen in 24 hours. It kept on snowing for another 18 hours after this pic too, although not quite as hard

A few impressions:

And just to prove that the lifts not running doesn't mean you can't have fun in the snow:

My apologies for the quantity of pics, probably won't manage as much for the rest of the season now
latest report
eng_ch, very nice. Looks like you were in the eye of the storm with all that snow Smile
snow report
rob@rar, the web cams were still showing green late am on Fri so I guess we must have been. It was gloriously sunny today, but I guess it was too stormy yesterday for them to get the piste bashers out, hence lifts still closed today Sad
ski holidays
eng_ch, wow! Looks absolutely great! snowHead I'll have to show the OH these photos - he really loved Laax when we went last year. How is the Rocks development coming on? Last year it was just an empty-ish building site. Is it finished now?
latest report
cathy, the shells of all bar one of the buildings in the central area are pretty much in place now. The building nearest Meini is almost complete, it looks like the ground floor of that is going to be the reception for the apartments and is just being fitted out. The whole ground level has been raised to the level of Meini and the old lift pass and ski school offices and Crap Bar have been filled in and are now part of the ground and the gondola base station is now below ground level. There are two new buildings between what was the fondue restaurant and the bottom of piste 65, the ground floors of which I think need to be fitted out before next weekend Shocked and look like they're going to be ski school/lift pass office and hopefully Crap Bar (evidently it is definitely going into one of the Rocks buildings). They have built back behind the old fondue resto, to make what looks like will be the lift pass office (my supposition) as well as a lift shaft at the back of that which then links straight across to the main cable car. The fondue resto was gutted and is being refitted - as they were advertising for pizza chefs, I'm wondering if it's going to go back to being a pizzeria, which would be a bit of a shame
snow report
Web site has updated - the snow storm has meant they've been unable to do any preparation at all so the earliest the lifts will reopen is Tuesday. More snow due tonight and tomorrow morning but sun due later in the week. I might just have to take Friday off Twisted Evil

(Can't go next weekend as we're playing at the Polyball, one of the biggest events in the Zurich social calendar, but our sets will be between 10.30 pm Sat night and 5 am Sun morning. Whose bright idea was that?)
snow conditions
snowing on the webcams today
snow report
So Rutschen and TwoLeftSkis were in Laax about 3 weeks ago and did they do a snow report? Did they heck rolling eyes

However I was down today with a friend so you can have one from me. Pretty much a constant drizzle of snow, visibility was OK up to about Curnius until about 3pm, after which the cloud that had covered everything any higher, making vis v poor, decided to sink even lower Sad Unfortunately the Falera run wasn't open today which is a shame as that's a reasonably good one when vis isn't great. Conditions underfoot were nice - a very few patches that were getting scraped a little hard, otherwise nice and powdery and going into some bumps

Pic for you from the Tegia Larnags at the first bubble stop from Laax

snow conditions
eng_ch, I can picture it all! When we there last year it was bright blue skies and sunny every day - I can't imagine poor visbility! Toofy Grin Looks nice snow
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It snowed in Laax all day yesterday, 20 cm of fresh reported.
snow report
The weekend was a continuous drizzle snow and no vis so I didn't go up. On Monday the sun started shining and conditions were superb most of the way down, but the very bottom was getting icy as it was warm in the valley during the day and there's been a bit of a freeze-thaw going on. Same again yesterday, great conditions down to Curnius, not a cloud in the sky, the Falera run was also good, heading towards a bit soft lower down but the very bottom, the last track down to the chair lift was hard rutted ice - nice. Below Curnius was very hard and getting scraped off to ice underneath when I came down just after 3pm, very busy with a mix of people ranging from (former) racers and instructors who made it look easy, to snowboarders who couldn't turn on it at all and either straight lined it or side slipped the lot rolling eyes and the rest of us in between taking it rather carefully to keep out of their way. It being Christmas Eve it would have been rude not to stop for a beer in the Crap Bar afterwards Wink

I have pics but they're still on the camera
latest report
what's the conditions like, my mates are coming over form Bodensee on Saturday.
snow report
Sorry, not been down for a while; the flu lurgi got us over Xmas/New Year, then 3 weeks of no snow sounded less than tempting then have been away in the 3V for a week. Since there has been a load of new snow and more forecast for the weekend, I would think conditions will be pretty decent.
ski holidays
Just back from a great week in Laax.

We arrived on Sat 14th Feb and were told it had snowed on and off for 3 days so the conditions were great for us. Then it snowed from Monday evening through to some time overnight on Tuesday night - 30cm in resort and more uptop.

The conditions on Wednesday/Thursday were nothing short of sublime !

Anyone going out there is in for a treat. Full Laax resort report coming up when I get time.
snow report
out there next week looks like a little more snow to come
snow report
latest report
latest report
dan100,

Where are you staying ? Have you been there before ?

The snow is fantastic - if you get some fresh before you arrive then even better !
snow report
Hairy Boy, glad you had a good time!

dan100, may well be able to catch up with you for night skiing on the Fri you're there
ski holidays
cool if my legs still work by then. probably ski sat morning as well.

I think its snowing again and forecast suggests more snow on friday
latest report
dan100, we'll deffo be down for the night skiing and the weekend, I may be down during the day on Fri too - will let you know. Been snowing here at home all day
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy