Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing after easter

Poster: A snowHead
We're thinking of taking our kids skiing for the first team and easter hols are an option. Due to work commitments we couldn't leave before maundy thursday - so we'd be looking at going some time over easter weekend. I guess the advantages are less crowded and cold than at half term. Are there disadvantages in terms of liklihood of snow? Any advice on resorts to look at? I had been looking at snowbizz but their last departures are the previous week. Since this is the first time I'd probably prefer the ease of a package like theirs, but equally don't want to pay something extortionate. I notice easyjet haven't released their flights beyond end march yet so presumably if we watch out for them we may be able to get a good deal...

Just waffling and looking for advice really.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Easters well late next year, probably find its at the close of many places season and snow might be pretty poor, probably best to look high.. Theres a thread around on here with alot of the resorts closing dates on..would be worth a look.

we got a good deal last year on the last week of the season at fairly last minute, so it might be worth hanging on especially as some places have been getting fairly decent dumps of snow right at the end of March beginning of april.

Anyone know if any resort are extending the season to take in the late easter?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Did cervinia over easter a couple of years ago - around 13/14th April IIRC. It was great even snowed on easter sat - sunday fresh powder and brigh sunshine doesn't get any better. could still ski all the way back to the town, but a bit slushy (stoppy) on the lower slopes. Bizarrely LGW on the thursday pm was empty when I thought it would be rammed.

Go high and / or with glacier - how old are your kids and how much skiing have you/they done..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
quick look at this http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=41607 and it seems plenty are open late into april
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mazza, that late in the season the snow is more likely to be a bit soft/slushy in the afternoons and probably a bit icy first thing in the mornings assuming it freezes overnight. I've skied mid and late April a few times in the high French resorts (in Les Arcs, Tignes, Val Thorens) and there has always been enough snow and fairlyy often we got lucky with some fresh snow falling. It is a pleasant time of year, especially for kids, as it rarely gets very cold, the days are long so plenty of opportunity for tobogganing after the pistes have shut. Easter is fairly busy, but nothing like as busy as February half term.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hi mazza, i love skiing in March / April. the pistes are so much quieter, the weather is warmer which is great especially if you've got young kids learning and it's a really relaxing time to ski. Which dates are you looking at? I'm guessing the 11th - 18th April if you want to leave Easter weekend. In the last few years we've had great snow in April, last year was amazing and even 2007, which was the bad year for snow, saw a great finish to the season. Lifts here in Chatel have always stayed open till the last weekend in the April, most of the rest of the Portes Du Soleil is the same.

having said that, i completely agree with rob@rar, the snow can be icy in the morning and does get slushy in the afternoon, 10 am till 2 pm are the best times to ski. And obviously it will never be as easy to guarantee as earlier in the season. But if you aren't bothered about having loads of long days on the slopes and want the kids to get their first taste of skiing it could be worth a shot.

Enjoy!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Personally I like slush (but some people object if you "spoil" the off-piste slopes by making great ruts in them in the afternoon).
Many resorts have their highest snow depths on upper runs in April.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mazza, Skiing at Easter is great.

If the snow is really icy in the morning, head to the bar.
If the snow is really slushy in the afternoon, head to the bar.
If the sun is too hot, head to the bar.
If a snowstorm comes in, head to the bar.
If the pistes are crowded, head to the bar.

So when choosing a resort, make sure there are plenty of bars. That's my tip. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mazza, I think late skiing is great for kids. They don't mind the slush at all! If you want a package, waiting for some last minute offers could be the way to go. Otherwise, if you do a "DIY package", with some help from Snowheads wink it's really not difficult. You can rent an apartment easily, and book flights with the likes of easyJet (whose late march/april flights should be out before long) and then book a private taxi or minibus transfer to resort - if you don't want the hassle of driving.

Val Thorens might be a good bet. It's not picturesque, but it's high and convenient, and good for kids because a very easy piste runs down through the middle of the village, and you're likely to be able to find an apartment where they can just go and potter outside in the snow without supervision unless they're tinies. In dead of winter it can be very cold and bleak, but it's a good place for April. There's another recent thread about ski schools in Val Thorens - for a first holiday, finding the right lessons for everybody is "make or break".
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Going high is a good option but so is going north, far north. Have a look at Yllas in Finland, north of the Arctic Circle so there will def be snow, good family skiing and lots of other activities. It will be quite light by mid april.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some good advice above, Val Thorens is a good bet with the children we went for 3 seasons in a row and had a great time, for skis school we found www.prosneige.fr particularly good with the childrens lesson.
Val Thorens is probably best avoided from April 19th on when a large group of (adults only) geeks from a ski website descend on the place. wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We're doing VT that Easter week with the kids in tow and are probably going to use Prosneige Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I also think you've got it right with the idea of going late, particularly if the kids are quite small and most resorts seem to be planning on opening until late April. 'Good' snow is generally far more important to adults than kids - anything vaguely whitish counts in their book and they don't seem to have the same problems with either icy or slushy that we do.

I would also recommend at least thinking about DIY. You can book flights to somewhere like Grenoble with good access to a wide variety of resorts and as the time approaches narrow down your resort options depending on snow cover - you may find that you can go low and still have more than adequate snow which may suit small kids better. We were in St Gervais over the Easter hols this year (admittedly a great end to the season snow wise)which is not high by anyone's standards and had miles of uncrowded slopes to play on, not something I'm sure we would have enjoyed in the traditional late skiing resorts - but we were fortunate that the snow was AS good and I wouldn't book low significantly in advance.

Late skiing we've enjoyed include La Plagne, Les Deux Alpes, St Gervais and Grand Massif (Morillon, Flaine, Samoens Les Carroz) - sorry they're all France.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

they don't seem to have the same problems with either icy or slushy that we do.

I have a great photo somewhere of my daughter, aged 5, in her ski suit, with an ecstatic smile, "skiing" on a surface which was about 50% grass, with a thin cover of very thin, grey, melty looking snow. Was in Austria in January, village nursery slope. snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wow - what a lot of replies to digest. Thank you all. Just to clarify my youngest is six so not that small. None of us have been on a skiing holiday before but have had some lessons at xscape - to check we liked it first wink. So, we do want to be pretty much guaranteed some skiing but won't to be doing long days on the slopes so sounds like easter is a good option provided we are sensible about a resort.....

We don't really want to drive and I suppose what puts me off about DIY is organising skis, lift passes etc. and potentially forgetting something wink. But, I'm sure you're right and we would get better value. I assume the advice is to book flights and then find accommodation somewhere not too far away?
snow report
Ooh - and another question. If we were to diy I'm guessing we need to go saturday to saturday to get the best choice of accommodation? I've just found some very cheap flights thursday to thursday - but is that a no no?
latest report
Mazza, it's very easy to book a DIY trip, and organising ski hire, lift passes, ski school, etc is not difficult (much of it can be done via the internet). For me the biggest challenge of DIY is arranging the transfer from airport to resort. Although there are scheduled coach services to many resorts, and some resorts are served by train link + buses it is often easier (and sometimes cheaper) to hire a car and drive for two or three hours from airport to your chosen resort. There's always a lot of advice here on snowHeads if you worry you might forget to get something arranged.

If you have never been on a ski holiday I'd recommend that your choice of resort is at least partly influenced by the ski school that you want to book with. For peopke new to skiing the quality of instruction can make or break a ski holiday.
snow conditions
Mazza wrote:
If we were to diy I'm guessing we need to go saturday to saturday to get the best choice of accommodation? I've just found some very cheap flights thursday to thursday - but is that a no no?

It's not a complete no no, but does make things a little more complicated. Many accommodation providers book Saturday-Saturday, especially during busy weeks such as school holidays. But if you look around there are some places, often smaller operators or independent owners offer more flexible booking conditions. Another thing to consider is that most ski schools operate Sunday/Monday to Friday group lessons, so if you are getting instruction non-Saturday start dates might be a small problem. On the other hand, travelling to resorts during mid-week will be much more pleasant than the frequent traffic jams you get during weekend transfers Smile
snow report
Mazza, it's far more difficult to find accommodation other than Sat/Sat in France (though Snowhead Helen Beaumont has an apartment available for other periods, which looks very nice). One option is to book an apartment for two weeks, if you can save enough on the flights to make it worthwhile. But you'd be out of step with ski school group lessons if you do that.

Organising skis for a family just means going to a decent hire shop, telling them you're beginners and getting sorted out - it's no easier of you've booked the equipment through a TO and you still have to queue up, be measured, figure out what ski boots are supposed to feel like, etc. And sometimes you get rubbish equipment that way.

Passes are almost always organisable on the internet these days and, if not, by just buying on the spot (most resorts can take an electronic photo of you when you buy). It's really easy and in the bigger resorts people will understand English OK (but don't forget to always say "bonjour!".

You'd be wise to book lessons for all before you go - Prosneige does sound excellent.

The first day of a first ski trip is a bit bewildering and hard work however you do it, frankly - it all seems very strange and getting kids equipped with passes, choc bars, tissues, sun cream, etc etc and out the door early in the morning is a mission. Can't think why we do it, really. wink

The only downside is, you'll all get hooked and life will become very expensive.

snowHead
snow report
Mazza, as you have realised from all the positive posts here, Easter is a great time to go skiing. I've been going out at Easter every year since 1993 (Nendaz x4, Verbier, La Plagne x6, Val Thorens x6, Whistler) and never had a bad year. Indeed i would suggest rob@rar's comments are on the pessimistic side. We have usually had lots of fresh show (indeed we expect it), and rarely met with slush.

However, you last post has me rather confused.
You wrote:
We don't really want to drive and I suppose what puts me off about DIY is organising skis, lift passes etc.
and
you wrote:
I've just found some very cheap flights thursday to thursday

But if you are thinking of organising your own flights, and therefore your own transfer to the resort, that would suggest you are going DIY.
latest report
Mazza,
Quote:

None of us have been on a skiing holiday before but have had some lessons at xscape

That changes a lot. Many ski resorts have their nursery slopes at resort level and there is a fair chance that they may be suffering at easter as it's too warm to make snow at night. You need to choose somewhere which has the ability to teach beginners at over 2000m. Fortunately your experience at xscape should enable you to get from higher lifts to the higher nurseries, but I would suggest that having chosen your preferred resort you ring the ski schools and describe your ability level to see if they think that they will have terrain suitable for you open at easter.
snow conditions
Mazza, After the easter weekend it should be possible to do thurs-Thurs with Self catering. Over easter - no - too busy. Most Tour ops finish at easter, and that leaves lots of possibilities. Get the cheap flights, rent a small car and drive to the resort of your choice. Anywhere with summer skiing should be fine, and many other resorts are fine at that time of year too. Very Happy
ski holidays
If visitng Tignes or Val T DIY from Yorkshire, look at flying into Chambery (eg jet2).
Mid-week accom - in Tignes try alpaka.com or tignes.co.uk - they'll be probably be able to help with transfers, skis, passes etc too.
snow conditions
If you let me know the resorts you are considering (and the week or weeks) I'll tell you their snow record on those weeks (lower and upper slopes- the former giving some idea of natural snow on nursery slopes but those should also have artificial snow. Often now piste-maps - which are all visible on the internet - mark which runs have snow cannons)
snow conditions
Squaw Valley USA, California. They're high nursery slopes are at over 2000 meters high and they usually are open late than May. Yes, they've been open on JULY 4TH!!!!! before. Of course, it's a long ways a way from where we are, expensive, but heck--you're using the dollar!
snow report
Skiing in Les arcs this year (albeit earlier than next year) I had the best conditions ever, however it was busier than I have ever seen it Easter. But amazing conditions though
snow report
Yes, last year was fantastic - but a particularly snowy end of season, and not really a reliable guide to the usual conditions.
ski holidays
Had some of my best trips around Easter: nice deep base, no rocks just under the surface, great weather, more than a slight possibility of decent snowfall, less busy, cheap... snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

If we were to diy I'm guessing we need to go saturday to saturday to get the best choice of accommodation?

Big TO do Saturday to Saturday but some smaller chalet operators, particularly the independents owner run ones do Sunday to Sunday for the very reason that their guests can then book cheaper flights as Sunday flights are often cheaper than Saturday ones. Some independents are also prepared to be flexible & do a mid week changeover depending on what else they have booked - nothing to lose from finding some accommodation you fancy & enquiring if it's possible. If you go Sunday to Sunday it also gives you skiing on a Saturday which is often the quietest day on the slopes as most people are on transfer coaches.
Quote:

I suppose what puts me off about DIY is organising skis, lift passes etc. and potentially forgetting something

What sort of accommodation are you looking for? If you're in self catering then you're left more to your own devices (although I guess this depends on who you're renting from) but if you go for a chalet holiday then the people running the chalet will either help you sort out lift passes or get them for you and will help sort out ski hire - they often have some arrangement with a local hire shop that includes some discount on the walk-in price. You could try posting in the solutions room of chalets direct - http://www.chaletsdirect.com/ although be aware that a lot of the owners on there have chalets in Morzine which is not a high resort. Having said that I've had 2 great Easter holidays in Morzine! Another site I've used is http://www.chaletgroup.com/
Personally I like chalet accommodation for a ski holiday as it usually includes a hot breakfast, tea when you come off the slopes & evening meal unlike self-catering (after a day on the slopes I don't want to cook), gives the chance to meet other skiers which you can also do in a hotel but I've found hotels tend to be more impersonal with groups/families etc keeping to themself unlike in a chalet where people talk more, particularly as you are often sharing the same large table at meal times. When I've gone away in a group which includes families with young children they also like chalets as they've been more comfortable with putting the children to bed (often after an earlier supper than the adults) & then coming back down for their own meal & to socialise compared to in a hotel.
Do you want hotel, chalet or self-catering is something you'll need to decide on whether you organise the holiday independently or through a TO.
snow report
Mazza wrote:
We don't really want to drive and I suppose what puts me off about DIY is organising skis, lift passes etc. and potentially forgetting something

It's not that hard and doesn't take very long - and it's questionnable the value a TO adds to the process (IMHO) unless you're paying to go with the likes of Scott Dunn or Descent who will deliver your skis to you on a silver platter at breakfast, and provide a complimentary gold laminated piste-map

a) find your ski-school - ESF (if in france) or an independent as recommended by snowheads. Book and ask what lift passes the kids will need, as if the kids haven't skied before it's likely that it might not even be needed for the first couple of days.

b) lift-passes walk to the caisse and say bonjour, gruss grot, guten tag or whatever - politely enquire as whether they speak english and ask for x no of passes for y days. As a family then certain domains do family passes - e.g. paradiski which gives a reduction. Certain areas (3v, Paradisk, Espace Killy) have two main types of passes a 'local pass' for the lifts that are 'local to you' - e.g. meribel lifts in 3v, or you can pay more for the whole domain. The kids almost certainly won't need more than the local lift and you probably won't either given that'll you'll want to be back when there lessons finish.

c) Kit hire - If you appartment is ski-in/ski out then find the shop nearest your appartment (as good as any other!). If not then find the one nearest the lifts and see if they have lockers for you to leave the kit there overnight (sometimes at lift-station itself) go in and say hello and just ask them to sort you out. They do this week in week out for 10000's of people so they'll definitely be able to help. You need skis, boots and poles. Kids need helmets too. If the shop is not helpful then just go to the next one.
snow conditions
Thank you all - very helpful. Not sure where we are looking at yet - need to do some more research.

Jonpim - I wasn't enthusiastic about DIY but since everyone suggested it - I checked out some flights just to see. I'm reluctantly coming to the veiw it may be the best option wink

Bertie - I'd love skis delivered on a silver platter at breakfast, and a complimentary gold laminated piste-map - but I suspect I don't want to pay what it costs wink
snow report
Mazza wrote:
Ooh - and another question. If we were to diy I'm guessing we need to go saturday to saturday to get the best choice of accommodation? I've just found some very cheap flights thursday to thursday - but is that a no no?

Sorry to get in on this so late. I can offer you a Thurs-Thursday stay over Easter if you wish in an apartment in Serre Chevalier, click on my signature for more details. Normally Sun-Sunday preferred but we are flexible.
latest report
Independent accommodation providers tend to offer Sat-Sat but there are a fair few who offer Sun-Sun not many are as flexible as Helen. Sun-Sun is a good option because flights are cheaper, airports and roads are quieter and because you get to ski quiet slopes on the Saturday of your holiday when everyone else is on the move.
snow conditions
Mazza, I've skied in Austria the past couple of Aprils, and have never had any trouble finding B&Bs that will take bookings based on single nights or midweek to midweek. I've also managed to do the same in Saas Fee, Switzerland (I stayed in Saas Grund) in a cheap hotel. Saas Fee has a galcier, so you'd be fine for snow there.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy