Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

good austrian resort

Poster: A snowHead
can anyone recommend a good austrian resort with the follwing points with 1 being the most important and 4 a bonus pretty please:

1) uncrowded slopes either looking to go mid jan or early march
2) good snow record with a possible chance to ski to door
3) nice size ski area enough to keep occupied for a week
4) pretty village

i know i wont get everything all in the one resort but is there any resorts that have more of the above than others?

i dont know a lot about austria as i tend to ski in the states/canada but prices are steep this year so was going to plump for austria
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obergurgl
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Would agree with Obergurgl but would also add Oberlech into the frame. www.oberlech.com Oberlech not cheap mind you, but then again don't think Obergurgl is much cheaper
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
colors, You are unlikley to find anywhere in Austria which is as uncrowded as somewhere like Lake Louise or Sunshine, if you are hoping for that (I don't have experience of oter US/Canadian resorts to know if those are typical).

But by European standards, most Austrian areas apart from the real mega-resorts will meet criteria 1 in mid January.

For 2, as always, look for somehwhere high, but ski to door is not all that common in Austria. As others have said, Obergurgl is one which can meet both.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Obertauern might also be worth considering.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My requirements list was almost exactly the same as yours, and I've just booked to go to Obergurgl over Xmas ... can't wait! Very Happy

From my research, if you want true ski to your door accomodation, look at the hotels in Horchgurgl, which is based further up the mountain. The two areas apparently have a direct gondala (8-minute ride) connecting them.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lech
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
colors, Forgot to mention that I have been to Oberlech for last two years in mid/late Jan and the conditions have been excellent. Have subsequently gone start of March on boys trip to St Anton and personally I thought the conditions were better in Jan, and it was queiter. Hardly had to queue whilst in Oberlech at all - seriously, only had to wait a few minuts after ski school started one day. Good thing about staying in Oberlech is that you can venture to Zurs by lifts etc and St Anton, Stuben and St Christoph by bus/taxi. Plenty of of piste if that's your thing too. There's also a fantastic sledge/toboggan run down to Lech, which is great fun too. All the food in the restaurants is fantastic, heated seats on most chairs, cruisy skiing....I could go on. I find it really hard to fault Oberlech - only downside is that not that many mountain restaurants (but everyone seems happy enough to lunch in the plentifull restaurants in Oberlech) and hardly any tree runs.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boabski - just out of interest who did you book with to go to oberlech? cant seem to find much info on it you see
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lech
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
colors, Need to book direct, although I think Made to Measure Ski may do packages. We stayed at Hotel Montana, which I would highly recommend as the food is without doubt the best I have ever tasted anywhere. Stayed there two years running. www.montanaoberlech.com Also www.oberlech.com is good. Innsbruck best airport, then probably (depending on numbers) getting taxi www.innsbruck-taxi.com cheaper than local taxi companies. Friedrichshafen close by too and you can get shuttle bus. Luggage is taken from Cable car in lech and arrives in your room, and your skis in boot room - amazingly efficient. Sporthotel Cresta is cheaper alternative to Montana and equally as good location. Anything else you need, give me a shout
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
oooo it is quite expensive think i will have to give that a miss
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
colors, FYI we're going to Stuben ( http://www.stuben.com/index.php?id=3&L=1 ) this year as finances are tight. Stuben lies halfway between St Anton and Lech and is a fraction of the price of either. Very quiet though and no shops or anything like that, but then again you're only 10 mins away from either Lech or St Anton. Stuben has cracking snow record too
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boabski wrote:
colors, FYI we're going to Stuben ( http://www.stuben.com/index.php?id=3&L=1 ) this year as finances are tight. Stuben lies halfway between St Anton and Lech and is a fraction of the price of either. Very quiet though and no shops or anything like that, but then again you're only 10 mins away from either Lech or St Anton. Stuben has cracking snow record too
And is piste/lift linked into the main st. anton domain...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bertie bassett, oops, and of course linked into St Anton portion of the Ski Arlberg region. In fact one of my favourite runs goes into Stuben - 7km red/blue. Zurs is a mere 5 mins away by bus. which links you in to the Zurs/Lech aspect of it. The 3rd are, Sonnenkopf is only 5 mins away too, but like most people I've never skied it, and I think most folk want it that way (ie totally deserted)
ski holidays
boabski wrote:
bertie bassett, oops, and of course linked into St Anton portion of the Ski Arlberg region. In fact one of my favourite runs goes into Stuben - 7km red/blue. Zurs is a mere 5 mins away by bus. which links you in to the Zurs/Lech aspect of it. The 3rd are, Sonnenkopf is only 5 mins away too, but like most people I've never skied it, and I think most folk want it that way (ie totally deserted)

Sonnenkopf is just a figment of your imagination all the ski-lifts have been removed and it doesn't snow there ever wink
ski holidays
boabski, Thanks for all your help Boabski now PLEASE go and do some work or your wife will not be happy
latest report
Konigsleiten, I was there yesterday and it was drowning in snow.
snow report
I am also looking to go away Mid to late-Jan (was looking at France La Plagne/Courch/Meribel). I am ok for any slope but the other half has only started to ski last year. What if any of the above resorts are most importantly good for beginners and can keep me occupied ( a few good blacks) when she is at Ski School in the morning?

If any other resorts please feel free to suggest. (been to Zell/Zee and Kaprun)

thanks
snow report
micdoc_uk, Gueten Tag Herr Doherty
snow report
boabski wrote:
micdoc_uk, Gueten Tag Herr Doherty

The native speaker is back Smile
latest report
ineedsnow, Herr Doherty ist meinen Freund. Er trinkt Radler gern - pooftisch!
snow conditions
Have you considered Serfaus. Its 1400m sso snow unlikely to be a problem in Jan, linked with Fiss and Ladis so plenty of pistes to go at and its pretty cheap. It also has an underground train meaning you dont have far to walk wherever you stay in the village. The village which is quaint and pretty and hardly any British people know about it.
snow conditions
jmm2130, agreed, my favourite all round ski area in Tirol and on my annual ski pass Smile
snow conditions
boabski, Very Happy

It gets better
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy