Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montgenevre - opinions sought...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all. Long time lurker/poster in RSRE Newsgroup - first time here...

Taking a group of (at least) 16 - probably up to 20, to Montgenevre (probably) in late March (we have cheap flights to Turin booked) and am looking for dire warnings about Montgenevre or helpful opinions. Not utterly fixated on Montgenevre, but I hear it's nice and it's quick and easy to get to with A-T-S. Stayed in Sauze in January before and had awful snow, so not keen on going back, but admittedly better snow would make the place a bit more appealing! We have Sunday flights, so need Sunday (20th March) to Sunday 27th March accommodation.

Firstly - been offered accommodation in the self-catering block of "Résidence La Loubatière" so if anyone knows anything about that place it'd be handy. Also want to know about suitability of the resort for kids (with a couple of weeks experience) would ESF be best or is there a better local school for English kids?

Non-skiing wife - all she wants to do is get up late, go swimming and then read a book in the sun somwewhere... easily pleased! is there a swimming pool there that's open in the Winter? I notice there is a pool mentioned on the site, but it appears to be open-air and these are often shut in Winter...

Anyone want to offer opinions on whether I should be looking at Serre Che instead? (or even anywhere else nearby?) Want somewhere with easy access to piste & village with a nice pool somewhere nearby for my wife & we're all happy... Very Happy

Oh, and several feet of fresh snow every night then blue skies during the day when we're there would help... snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
carled, welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead
Sorry can't help with Montgenevre - only skied there once for a day. But for a super little indoor pool you want Monetier Les Bains (which is part of Serre Chevalier). It's a naturally-heated, spa-fed municipal pool. Serre Che is not much further from Turin than Montgenevre and for a big group I doubt if the transfer would cost much more. We have a snowHead out in Montgenevre now for the season, I think, but I can't remember her username. We have a few experts on Serre Che. Stick around and you'll get more responses when the folks go back to work tomorrow.
Can I point you to snowBase on the bottom right of the mountain view. Links to all the major resort web sites and loads of the little ones too. Or the Search Engine in User Facilities pull down menu on the bottom left. You can search for all previous posts about Montgenevre.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
carled,

Hi and welcome,

I don't know about the Milky way but can tell you that Cervinia and the Monte rosa resorts are as near and seem to do Sun/sun booking. For a non-skiing wife I would look at Cervinia as 1 st choice. It is high, 2000-3400m so should be ok at that time of the year.

Or maybe Pila...never been there but accessible from Aosta which is a largish town so would be better for a non-skiing spouse, I would think.
Stick around because someone will have some more detail..!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pila is a nice resort and is reached direct from Aosta Town by a 15 minute gondola ride. Pila itself doesn't have much appeal for a non skier though.

Its only about an hour and a bit from Turin airport.

We're off to Bardonecchia in a couple of weeks time.
Havn't been there before, but i would have thought it was quite good for a non skiing wife.
AS it is a town rather than a village it is larger than most, has a market on a Thursday and Saturday and has it's own direct link train station from Turin.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
carled,
Montgenevre is a great place to ski but I have only done it (several times) from Briancon so I don't know what it is like to stay in.

The nearest swimming pool that I know of is in Briancon which is about a 15 minute drive, in the valley below Montgenevre The pool here is v good. Indoor training pool plus fun area together with outdoor heated. The old town of Briancon is well worth visiting for the nonskier. A very attractive fortified town with interesting streets and architecture, the pool is a fair distance from the old town (15-20 minute walk at a guess) Though no problem with a car.

There is plenty of skiing available for the children with reliable north facing slopes, Not sure about ski schools the ESF's In Serre Che are generally pretty reasonable with children but have large classes.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the opinions so far guys. Hopefully someone from Serre Che or Montgenevre will pipe up soon! Having trouble getting the tourist agencies in Montgenevre to respond to me now... probably because they can't understand why I want more than 2 8-person apartments for 16 people! I keep telling them that I'm after a little more space, firstly in case anyone else joins the group late and secondly because we don't want to be too cramped in the apartments, but they say they only have the two 8-person apartments and have nothing else to offer (which I greatly doubt... I think they just think I'm mad...)

Anyhow - I've now emailed the Central agency in Serre Che as well, asking about staying in Serre Che 1500 so I can see what they can come up with. They seem to do some good deals for accommodation & lift pass combined late in the season - may be worth a pop.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy