Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you have to be aggressive to be a good skier - discuss -

Poster: A snowHead
Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No but it helps to get through the European lift queues. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No, the best skiers make it look effortless and only get aggressive when they have too...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
erica2004, I find it helps me sometimes - not that I'm that good.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmm, i’d say to be a good skier, no. To take it to the next level and be a great skier, yes. Lack of aggressiveness is a criticism often given to me on high end training courses. On the last course i did (with skimottaret), there was little i was told to do in terms of making changes to the way i ski, more a case of adding to - i.e. to try to be more dynamic and aggressive.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
not all the time, but it is needed in your kitbag sometimes skiing "on eggshells" is required, other times aggressive skiing.....
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
beanie1, your too little to be aggressive wink me on the other hand..... Crying or Very sad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
beanie1 wrote:
To take it to the next level and be a great skier, yes.

I would agree, and I don't think it is something that one can change.

For me, it is whether in a split second decision you would typically choose to go faster or slow down.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Depends on what's 'Good' Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
GGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lookiong at it the other way, I don;t think you can ever be a good skiier if you;re passive. you need to put in the appropriate amount of effort
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Depends on the conditions and context.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd still be walking down the Orelle red if I hadn't given myself a damn good telling off and got really cross with it. It was amazing how pursuassive a good four letter swear word was at every turn. Don't get cross get even with it was what I used to get down it. However, that doesn't necessarily mean it made me a good skier in terms of skiing it well Laughing

Most unlike me though Little Angel
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
GGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Twisted Evil

I often find that a good growl can help put you in that aggressive mental state to attack the slope and snow.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My opinion roughly reflects that of beanie1.

You can be a very good, cruising recreational skier without recourse to aggression. To "take it to the next level" as beanie1 put it, you need more of everything: inclination, angulation etc etc. Quite often that takes some hard, forcefull skiing, not to mention balls to do.
ski holidays
You need to be able to dominate the skis sometimes, which can require putting a lot of energy into your skiing. If you call that aggression, then, yes to be a good skier you need to have the capacity for aggression in your skiing. But mostly it is timing and sensitivity for the snow & terrain which will raise your skiing to the next level.
snow conditions
We can also ask the question: physical or mental aggression?
ski holidays
skisimon wrote:
We can also ask the question: physical or mental aggression?

Physical aggression, mental calmness is the path to true enlightenment Smile Unfortunately I get it the wrong way around far too often Sad
snow conditions
If I'm stood at the top of a hard looking slope and start skiing it timidly, I tend to fall over and get into a mess. If I stand at the top of the same slope and give myself a good talking to and set off aggressively, I ski it much better. Then again, I probably don't know what a good skier looks like. I think I'm good. I suspect an instructor, or anyone who vaguely knew what they were doing would disagree. Wink
latest report
No
snow report
beanie1 wrote:
i.e. to try to be more dynamic and aggressive.

Two very different things. Dynamic - nearly always (although when you get sufficiently good sometimes art can conceal the art); aggressive - only when necessary.

Aggression can frequently be the trigger that gets the required dynamism, but then can get in the way of control. I'm very rarely criticised for being insufficiently aggressive, but when I try and calm it down, unfortunately the dynamism goes as well Sad .
latest report
Quote:

If I'm stood at the top of a hard looking slope and start skiing it timidly, I tend to fall over and get into a mess. If I stand at the top of the same slope and give myself a good talking to and set off aggressively, I ski it much better.

I agree timid is not good. But the alternative can be positive and dynamic, rather than aggressive. And it's perfectly possible to be aggressive and useless - you see 'em all the time, using way more energy than they need, flinging their arms about....
snow report
pam w, That's the word 'dynamic'. I think you need to feel strong in your core too, if that makes sense.
snow report
Quote:

If I'm stood at the top of a hard looking slope and start skiing it timidly, I tend to fall over and get into a mess. If I stand at the top of the same slope and give myself a good talking to and set off aggressively, I ski it much better

I see this too. Timid did me no good at all. Once I developed the attitude that there was no-one else going to get me down the slope except me so I better get on and sort it out things went much better.
latest report
Quote:

I think you need to feel strong in your core too, if that makes sense.

Perfect sense. If I'm feeling a bit scared and intimidated I actually feel the need to relax, rather than get "aggressive". And I find the best way of doing that is music. Turn in time to the music, that does it. But definitely with that core strength - as in dancing, rather than thumping someone on the nose. I dare say that to jump off cliffs or head straight down the Men's Downhill you need adrenaline, but for the sort of ordinarily scary run that worries us normal punters, I don't think adrenaline is a help.
snow report
olster wrote:
If I'm stood at the top of a hard looking slope and start skiing it timidly, I tend to fall over and get into a mess. If I stand at the top of the same slope and give myself a good talking to and set off aggressively, I ski it much better.

I wouldn't class that as aggression but having the courage of your convictions, i.e. commitment.
snow report
Another new question... (which I think eng_ch has essentially just touched on, in a roundabout way). Is a "good skier" someone who is technically proficient, or someone who has decided to get down something at the edge of their ability... rolling eyes

We seem to have drifted towards the latter. If we are talking about getting a grip and attempting something new in a positive, rather than timid manner, then we could class any third day skier attempting a blue run as a "good skier".

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 28-10-08 20:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
skisimon, we're talking about the first, i was anyway.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is aggressive the wrong word? Should it be committed?

What do you mean by aggressive?
snow conditions
beanie1, it's what I thought we were talking about too, but there seems to have been a little bit of thread drift.
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, I think that's the crux of it.

For certain types of skiing, such as racing, I would certainly say that aggression is key, the speeds and forces involved require not only commitment and balls, but a very concerted effort to put power into the turns as appropriate to counter the appropriate forces.

Now I'm not an expert on off-piste, after all, I don't do enough of it, but I would have thought that aggression (as opposed to commitment) could be counter-productive in the deep and fluffy stuff.
snow conditions
skisimon wrote:
Now I'm not an expert on off-piste, after all, I don't do enough of it, but I would have thought that aggression (as opposed to commitment) could be counter-productive in the deep and fluffy stuff.

I think it varies with snow conditions. On the Friday at last season's EoSB the increasing temperatures meant that the afternoon snow off-piste was pretty sludgy in parts and was best skied by powering through it with a lot of force. On the same descent but a little bit further down the mountain the snow had a bit of a light crust which would support you but only if you skied it very gently; I found it was much better to ski this with a retraction turn to avoid breaking through the surface. Horses for courses as they say - a good skier will have a wide range of tools available, including aggressive and gentle skiing styles, and will use them appropriately.
snow report
rob@rar, quite. I was just using fluffy as an example. I certainly agree that a a good skier will have a range of styles they can adopt according to the conditions.
snow conditions
Yes - being timid in moguls is not a recipe for sucess and we're not all blessed with being fluid and elegant but bludgeoning can be a practical technique.

I've skied with some very technically strong women who just don't seem to push it half as hard as they could. Must be because they lack the macho posturing/overconfidence gene wink
ski holidays
May I argue semantics here? Are we using the word "aggression" as a substitute for confidence, competence and comfort? I'm sure it's as rob@rar illustrates, the knowledge and experience you gain dictates how well and how quickly you ski in the conditions. They expand your 'comfort zone' and obviously your confidence to ski over or through conditions that would stymie others.

Alternatively, are we using "aggression" to define the brute force and ignorance that so many of us Oestrogen challenged display whilst 'sur Bash' wink
ski holidays
Masque, I agree with the OP, GrahamN and pam w, who all used the word "dynamic." This is to be contrasted with poddling along on auto-pilot, which won't generally cut the mustard, except perhaps on a very easy, wide, empty slope.
latest report
Hurtle, it's probably just semantics, but isn't it possible to be dynamic (which to me means constantly changing such things as balance, direction, flow) while skiing gently?
snow report
rob@rar, erm, yes, I guess so.
snow report
erica2004, no but you probably do to be a good racer, big difference between the two
ski holidays
D G Orf, Very Happy I think racing is the activity where aggression probably does have a place.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy