Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

question about Rossignol B83s

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Probably a bit rude to introduce myself with a question, but hey ho .. Sorry!

I've got hold of some new Bandit B83s very cheap, and I think part of the reason is that they've got Axial 2 race bindings screwed straight into the ski deck - I'm not sure about this as doesn't their free absorber technology wotnot mean they are supposed to have something attached to the ski which the bindings then attach to? I'm wondering what the binding arrangement is supposed to be and how this is going to affect the ski's performance (I've tested them at Braehead Xscape but 200 yards of slope is pretty hard for me to properly judge performance on) ... any thoughts? Cheers Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The free absorber technology is basically some rubber/visco-elastic damping material inside the ski. Most skis have something similar anyway. The bindings in the bandit range have always been mounted traditionally i.e. by screwing the bindings into the ski.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ah, cheers for that Smile I wondered because in some of their marketing stuff Rossignol go on about the bindings not being screwed directly to the ski. Evidently not the case! I've only seen them in shops etc with adjustable bindings on, so wasn't sure if the mounting bar was part of the adjustment mechanism like on most skis or part of the FAT system. Ta!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think the Bandit was offered with a choice of binding - the Axium which used the TPi2 binding interface.
Or, it came as a flat ski using traditional screwed on Axial bindings.
Obviously the intigrated Axium binding came with a price premium. Shocked
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've checked back again. The Rossignol bumf says "The addition of Rossignols Free Beam binding interface allows the ski to flex naturally underfoot for exceptional carving ability on-piste while the built-in elastomers on the Free Beam plate give a smooth, confident ride even at the highest of speeds. FREE BEAM: This technology with bindings built into skis is a Bandit ALL MOUNTAIN exclusive. The Free Beam is an interface beam in which bindings are positioned tool-free. Elastomers at each end add damping and comfort."

It's the free beam thing I don't have, not the FAT system, sorry, my confusion. Just Axium2s screwed straight to the deck. no idea how much difference that will make, any thoughts? Don't think the B2s or the B3s ever had this so I'm guessing it probably isn't that big a deal?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I recently bought the B83 and the idea of the Free Beam as it was explained to me, is that there is no need for screw holes in the ski which can effect the torsion etc of the ski. Having just looked at the skis I cannot actually see how the Free Beam attaches to the ski. Maybe it's just superglue!

That by the way, is not the reason I bought them.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My ex-missus has B78Ws from the same year and I thought that the "no screw holes" thing was a myth - the freebeam is still screwed to the top of the ski (otherwise how would it attach?) but you don't need tools to move the bindings. which doesn't really matter if you aren't planning to lend them to someone else anyway. And I didn't need tools to move the bindings on my Xwings either so I can't see what the big thing is about it. Meh, I dunno rolling eyes it's all too confusing. Guess I won't find out how much it really matters until January and some proper skiing!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I suppose with the freebeam, however it is attached to the ski, it is always in exactly the same place so therefore it can be allowed for in the design and construction of the ski.

With a traditional binding, even if the ski is only ever used by one person, the position of the screw holes will vary according to the size of the skiers boot.

Just a thought.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The point of Rossignol's "Freebeam," Fischer's "Freeflex" and Atomic's "Neox" etc. etc. is - to allow the ski to flex below the foot. Laughing

Otherwise - when your boot is clipped into a binding on a flat ski - that portion below the foot is locked. There is no way the ski can bend along the section below the foot. Thus when carving, it's only the front and tail sections that actually flex and bend. rolling eyes

p.s. This is nothing new by the way - I had a pair of Ess bindings away back in 1996 that pioneered this technology.
Ess were eventually bought over by Atomic who further developed the idea.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 7-11-08 0:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Really? I can't see how that makes sense from a basic engineering point of view? I mean, the fixed contant points restrict the ski flex, right? there's no difference between the four screws that hold on a freebeam and the four screws that hold on a binding, surely? since the skis flex away from the boot between the bindings (and anyway the boot is elevated above the ski surface) all it means it that your binding screws represent fixed points in the curve your ski forms. There's nothing to stop the section of ski between the bindings flexing, I guess is what I'm saying. The bindings would only need to move fractions of a mm against the boot to give give significant curvature of the ski, which they can do without popping.

Obviously where the screws are placed on the freebeam might effect the shape of the ski curvature though, so that could be a major improvement for carving etc..
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ooops I guess I was wrong - seems the freebeam is not a flexing binding fixing. Embarassed

Atomic's Neox and the Fischer Freeflex have a freely suspended heel section which can allow the ski to flex below the boot.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I recently tore the rear portion of my freebeam (On a pair of Bandit B83s). If anyone is still interested it is basically two plastic plates that are held on by 4 screws each, so there are 8 screws total. The two plastic plates that (that the bindings slide on) are separate but joined by a rubberized section that just sort of pops on the ends of each. I would imagine that having 8 screws distributed over a much greater length of ski than the typical 4 under binding setup has less of an impact on the curve of the ski during carving simply because they are farther apart and more uniform along the ski.

Anyway, the rear runner is probably a bit of a design flaw, in the back its held on by two screws in a plastic washer clip. If you're a skier with modern race experience this system may not be for you. It's supposed to rip and carve on the groomers and it does until the plastic runner fails from two much torque. Then you are out of luck.

I'm still looking for somewhere to find a replacement part. Rossignol customer service sucks unless your french Canadian which I am not. Anyone out there have any idea where I could find a piece of a Rossy binding system? Perhaps a Rossy junkyard in the sky? The plastic part that failed probably costs $5 to produce.

Any ideas? Not Al's Ski Barn. . .

yea, it took about 3/4's of a season with this ski being my main ride for the rear runner to tear out. .fyi
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy