Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I hate Les Gets

Poster: A snowHead
Let's face it. The village of Les Gets is pretty but it is really only an access road on the way to the real jewel in the crown of the "Portes du Soleil", Morzine. The skiing is largely dull, the only area worth visiting is Mont Chery, but even then, only for a few hours on a busy Sunday. If you want to ski the rest of the PDS you need a car to drive to Ardent or Les Prodains. As for the off season; ghost town.

The only place with more boring skiing than Les Gets is...........................any suggestions?

OK then, IMO, La Rosiere. My god is the skiiing boring there, except of course the runs down to La Thuile, but then they never have any snow on them anyway so who cares.

Yes, OK, standing by for incoming.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 27-10-08 20:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Xscape, Braehead?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
zzz...zzz...skiing, how boring.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh lighten up Frosty, just trying to stimulate a little debate other than the will it/wont it, be a snowy winter.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
zzz, it's the only place I've ever been spat on... make of that what you will
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
red 27, that's a new one on me. By one of the locals I guess?
Frosty the Snowman, Further to my last, having done a little search, I now realise that La Rosiere is a bit of a joke on this forum. Sorry, I really had no idea. I stand by what I said though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To be honest I find Morzine a right royal pain. The links with the rest of the PDS are lousy, either a huge queue for the cable car, an iffy home run to the top of the Super Morzine bubble or the Les Linderets bottle neck. Gave the PDS 4 trips but would not go back to Morzine
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
indeed... many many many many years ago.... there was a bar with chess set on a half landing which I think went down to a dancing area (and the bogs)... we went there every night, on one occasion I was at the bar and ordered in english and a local youth, in a party of 4, immediatley turned and spat on my cheek!

I'm not sure if he knew I was with a big group, but an unpleasant and prolonged fight ensued with one of our party, a brutal and frankly violent hooker from the Valleys, ended up being arrested and the rest of us being ejected from our chalet.

Happy days.... Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
red 27 wrote:
an unpleasant and prolonged fight ensued with one of our party, a brutal and frankly violent hooker from the Valleys, ended up being arrested and the rest of us being ejected from our chalet.

Happy days.... Embarassed
I trust a hooker of the oval ball playing variety Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
zzz, agree that Les Gets is a bit out of the way if you want to acces the whole PDS but I still think the slopes are better all-round in LG than in Morzine.
Let's face it, aside from all those wooded runs that run down into Morzine (that are jam packed at the best of times with ESP groups) the only other attractions are Pont Du Nyon and Chamoisure (excuse spellings) and even then, I'd say they belong as much to LG as they do to Morzine.

The village is pretty although a bit dull in the nightlife sense, and it's a bit of a street with stuff along it rather than a compact resort, but it's the snow we're there for and LG offers masses of it.

If you're finding somewhere boring then IMO, you're not trying hard enough to entertain yourself...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anniepen wrote:
I trust a hooker of the oval ball playing variety Puzzled

There are other sorts? Little Angel

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 27-10-08 21:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anniepen, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gilberts Fridge, Fair enough but they do have snow making on Super Morzine these days which has helped a lot.

red 27, Sounds great. I remember a similar incident here in Morzine many years ago, where an English tourist went to jail for five years, for manslaughter, for whacking a nightclub owner over the head with a fire extinguisher rolling eyes

Great for the English/Local relationship.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
zzz, Bhudda?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Never been to Les Gets.

La Rosiere is OK, but nothing special. La Thuile is more interesting.

I doubt if many snowheads have heard of Crest Voland, a small resort at 1200m near Alberville. Linked to Les Saises. Great wee place and much more interesting than La Ros. I would go back to La Ros, but only if I could get a really cheap deal.
snow conditions
johnboy wrote:
Never been to Les Gets.

Very wise - keep it that way. they'll only gob on you, and then you'll have a 2 hour trip over to the PdS proper
snow conditions
Specialman wrote:
zzz,

If you're finding somewhere boring then IMO, you're not trying hard enough to entertain yourself...

Couldn't agree more.; not suggesting that Morzine skiing is the best but just better linked to the rest of the PDS.

Red27, no a long time before the Buddha, La Pacha, which is now the Opera Rock.
ski holidays
I like 'Les Gets' .. on the basis that its closest neighbour {Morzine) is full of English ladies' front bottoms who go there because they can pronounce it ..... Next Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Agenterre, and 'Les Gets' isn't of course.

Night night
latest report
zzz, I could of course write a reasoned explanation of why Morzine is just a 'Party-town' with difficult/slow ski access with no sun .. but I cant be arsed wink
Take care and Sleep well !
ski holidays
Gilberts Fridge, what Lindarets bottle neck? If you mean out of the plateau towards Chatel or Avoriaz it's no longer a problem. Sure the bubble out of Ardent can be a little busy at times. You also forget the Prodains chairlift option , which get you straight to where you might want to be on a sunny powder day.

Contrary to zzz, I rather like Les Gets. Especially on big lunch days. I mean, you wouldn't go there for the skiing would you?
snow report
Never been to Les Gets but for all-round boring I vote Serre Chevalier (sorry, I know people like it on here, I really didn't). La Thuile was pretty dull and I wouldn't bother going back to Les Deux Alpes either. Three holidays was enough, and I had no choice in the matter as I went with my parents.
latest report
Chamonix sucks a$$.
snow conditions
I liked Les Gets when I was there at Easter. Access to PDS was ok apart from the trek across Morzine to the Gondola but generally good skiing, not too crowded, nice restaurants and a pleasant town for the evening.
snow report
Picadilly, so what's your favourite place? And was it the skiing your found boring, or the life in the towns themselves?

I find that the huge number of Brits is one of the downsides of Les Gets.
snow report
pam w,
Quote:

I find that the huge number of Brits is one of the downsides of Les Gets.

I just ignore them and get on with skiing.
ski holidays
It's got one of the best downhills I've ridden...in Summer
ski holidays
I was pleasantly surprised by Les Gets last January. I had worked PDS a couple of times in the '90s but had never made it over the link. Of course, now my friend has a chalet there - I think it's really really lovely !
CW
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch, sorry my mistake I ment the Ardent piste home, we actually used the Ardent bubble as our main access in the end. I do like the PDS, a lot of good terrain but I just got fed up with the faffing around trying to get to the lifts in the morning and trying to get back at night.

Thinking about it we did the PDS 5 times with 3 of them fairly central in Morzine. I think if we went back I would get my accomodation either close to Ardent, Linga or up in Avoriaz.
latest report
yeh les gets sucks, never go there.....

ski holidays
kitenski, What were you thinking? That jacket with Those poles? rolling eyes
snow report
arv wrote:
kitenski, What were you thinking? That jacket with Those poles? rolling eyes

It's not me Smile

This is me on the same trip

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 28-10-08 10:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I love lamp.
snow report
kitenski, I agree with you. Les Gets really sucks and people should really stay away and leave all the rubbish for us Very Happy
latest report
Yeah, I agree, Les Gets sucks.

(Christmas day, 2003)…
snow report
Agenterre, (or anyone) how is 'Les Gets' pronounced, as a matter of interest?
snow report
Anywhere is good on a powder day.

Glad we are all agreed then. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
laundryman, Lay Jay ..with a soft rather than hard 'J' is best I can describe it
ski holidays
laundryman, Wot Agenterre, says.
ski holidays
laundryman wrote:
Agenterre, (or anyone) how is 'Les Gets' pronounced, as a matter of interest?

Lez G'eh ts wink

(Lay Jay)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy