Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

uncrowded resort?

Poster: A snowHead
can anyone recommend a good uncrowded resort for late feb ear;y march? i was thinking banff and yllas but was also looking at les arcs and alpe d'huez. are the two french resorts uncrowded or do they tend to get busy? im not too bothered about nigtlife etc my main concern is the slopes not being crowded with a decent ski arera. any suggestions?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shapes, as late February/early March is still French school holidays, French resorts are likely to be crowded.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shapes, the last of the French school zones will return to school on 9 March, so Les Arcs and Alpe d'Huez will be relatively crowded until then. I don't know HOW crowded, though, sorry. The two weeks from 9 March will be the best time to avoid crowds in France - after February holidays and before Easter.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
shapes, Banff is never really too crowded.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
whats the snow usually like around mid march? ive never been so late so i dont know much about snow conidtions this time of the yr?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
shapes, Sunshine is open till the end of May. Early-Mid March is arguably the best time to be there(for chance of good snow but it is never really bad). A few years ago I went the 2nd week in April and conditions were fantastic.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 26-10-08 14:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shapes wrote:
whats the snow usually like around mid march? ive never been so late so i dont know much about snow conidtions this time of the yr?

What's the snow like where? If you're lucky - powder, less lucky but still pretty good - creamy corn, unlucky- boilerplate hardpack/refrozen crud. Same rules almost anywhere in the world at that time except maybe Alaska.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

ive never been so late

there's no rules when it comes to snow, but in the French Alps for the last few years mid March has been great snow, and no crowds. Frankly, you'd be mad to go to a French resort during the Paris school holidays when you can go at other times!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shapes, last week in Feb 2009 is MardiGras/Carnevale/Fasching week when Bavaria, Belgium, Southern Netherlands, some parts of Italy all have school holidays, so Bavarian Alps, Austria & Dolomites likely to be busy that week, not that you were looking at these areas.

Best to leave it 'til 2nd week of March, I've always had really good snow in the Alps that week and the slopes are a lot quieter.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Why does everyone think the ski season is over after the first week of March? Mid to late March is absolutely the best time of the season, and not only on the bleak tops of glaciers either. We've skied to our apartment at 1550m till the third week in April every year for 6 years now. Christmas and New Year, on the other hand, are often grim. Dark, cold, and not very snowy.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
shapes wrote:
can anyone recommend a good uncrowded resort for late feb ear;y march? i was thinking banff and yllas......

Both Jasper and Fernie rarely get crowded at any time other than national holidays, though traffic can increase most Saturdays.

Was in Jasper '07 & Fernie '08 March time and you couldn't fault the snow, with fresh powder most days, though with any resort that'll obviously vary year in, year out.

If it wasn't for the damn daily bus ride, the VERY mellow nightlife, and the 5hr transfer (along a highway that's often shut, making it 8hrs via Edmonton.......) Jasper would always be on the shortlist. The Marmot hill is one of the best places I've ever ridden, save Whis/Blac.

Going back to Fernie late Jan '09. Maybe Jasper in March.

John.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
right ok you lot got me set on going mid march. now is it best to pick somewhere now or wait until say feb to book it to ry and get a cheap deal? canada this yr seems very expensive so would i get a good deal in feb? same goes for france is it worth waiting?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
shapes, mid March is not the cheapest time (because of how good it is wink ) but if you're flexible you can probably find a good deal. But if you're not, or if there are a crowd of you, might be difficult. Are you looking for a package? If going DIY, best to book flights asap. If self catering, probably just as cheap to book an apartment now, and then you can find something really well located, rather than risk being stuck with a long walk to the lifts. If you want a really quiet place, go somewhere which isn't in all the TOs brochures.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
its just me and my gf. i prbably would prefer to bok through a travel agents just because of the way airlines are going under all the time lately etc just dont think its worth the risk. can you recommend any resorts in any country in europe that would be uncrowded with a decent size ski ara in march? sorry to be a pain but the brochures all say the same thing to be honest
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
shapes, Serre Chevalier should be uncrowded in mid-March.
snow conditions
shapes, We would certainly consider mid-March to be high season (although not holiday season) and do not consider it late at all. The last week of April is late! What do you consider a decent size ski area? What sort of skiing do you like? Are you a piste or off piste skier? Do you like challenging or flattering runs? All these questions would help people to come up with sensible suggestions. Very Happy
snow conditions
Les Contamines, La Thuile - both out of Geneva. Go easyjet, financially very strong still, but book on visa to be sure. Both decently high, and snowsure, both easy fron Geneva. Less chance of easyjet going bust than any travel operator at the moment. Chances are very low volume of skiiers. No mega night life in either resort though. Go to Le Chemanez in Les Contamines or Chalet Eden in la Thuile, - both highly recommended.
ski holidays
We were in Banff for the first two weeks af March last season, good conditions and no crowds until the weekends, even then wasnt too bad. Lift queues were only about 5-10 mins at peak spots at the weekend. The loonie seems to be climbing a little and could make it a favourable destination Smile
snow report
ski wise im a strong intermmidiate red/black and my girlfriend is a beginner so ski area size i would like something big enough to keep us both happy for a week. personally i do like to challenge myself so dont want the piste to be to flat. i will be looking at ust on piste for this hol, think if im going to do off piste i might as well go to whistler/fernie etc
ski holidays
shapes, there are plenty of challenges especially at Lake Louise//Norquay if you are a bump skier. In Canada everything within the resort boundary is skiable, not just the "pisted" or marked runs, unless closed due to avalanche danger.
snow report
out of interest. wouldnt les arcs be uncrowded as there only seems to be a handful of hotels/apartments?
ski holidays
shapes, Les Arcs is a huge area, there are loads of hotels and apartments.
snow report
Les Contamines would probably be less crowded than Les Arcs. It has plenty of skiing for a week, and some long and enjoyable reds (in the most reliable snow areas, at the top of the domain and east-facing) as well as some long and usually bumpy blacks which I, for one, find more than challenging enough. It's easy for people skiing different kinds of runs to meet at the central "Signal" restaurant at the top of the two-stage gondola. I don't know anything about the ski schools there, as I just go over for a day now and then, but that will obviously be particularly important for your girl friend.
snow conditions
shapes, there is more than one village to Les Arcs - several, in fact + Bourg St Maurice + the Paradiski bunch from La Plagne. I suspect you only looked at one particular part of it. The suggestion of Les Contamines etc is good if you want quiet. Les Saisies where pam w, has an apartment would probably also be fine. Chamrousse near Grenoble would be good too... Also you might do well in La Toussuire just after the french school hols. The quieter resorts are unlikely to be in many Tour ops brochures, and certainly Easyjet and also Ryanair, booking by card for the insurance (and taking out holiday insurance which covers your travel arrangements) are likely to be just as safe as any Tour Op at the mo - cheaper and with more choice too.
ski holidays
If you can afford the cost of an American ski trip now that the pound has lost a quarter of its value against the dollar, and put up with a slightly convoluted journey, then (going by what some friends of mine who've been just about everywhere experienced) I understand Big Sky is the ultimate crowd free (major) resort.
ski holidays
I would agree with Les Contamines as an option. We were there end of Jan, so it's always quiet then, but you can see our photos at powderhounds dot org dot uk.
Cheers,
CW
ski holidays
If a skier doesn't like crowds then stay away from resorts frequent by the French and British school children and their parents.

So if you think would the French go skiing outside their country and the answer is obvious.
ski holidays
truffaut wrote:
I understand Big Sky is the ultimate crowd free (major) resort.

I can vouch for that. Big Sky is astonishingly quiet and, if you want a large expanse of uncrowded skiing it's probably the best place in the world if the guide books are to be believed. It's the second biggest ski area in North America, and on a typical day there's more than an acre of snow for each skier.

We visited a couple of years back during the busiest week of the year - mid February with President's Weekend and the UK half term - and the place was completely deserted. One memorable afternoon we spent a couple of hours riding untracked powder on a bunch of runs off served by a fast quad lift that literally no-one else was using. The resort has some great cruising runs that your g/f might enjoy, and some seriously tough skiing that you can sneak off to.

The downside - and this is why it's so quiet - is that it's really hard work to get there; you have to change flights twice and then drive for a few hours. And I can't imagine many tour operators go there, either. Having said that, flights this year are very reasonably priced compared with Canada and Colorado.

I guess it all depends how badly you want the space.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonny Jones, it sounds wonderful. But however do they make any money?
snow report
pam w wrote:
Jonny Jones, it sounds wonderful. But however do they make any money?

Real estate.

There's no way that development of the ski area is fully funded by lify tickets. But selling tiny chunks of previously worthless Monata wilderness for upmarket property development is a very rewarding activity.
ski holidays
Jonny Jones, ah. I see. But what happens when the plots are all sold? Will there be enough inhabitants or visitors to keep the lifts running? Maybe we should all visit before they run out of money? wink
ski holidays
pam w, When the plots are sold, I guess that the ski resort (which might just be a conveniently distinct legal entity from the property development company) runs out of money and the expensive condos become worthless. The scheme's developers then quickly leave to repeat the scam in some other place. So, yes, you should visit now before it's hit by the the USA's real-estate crisis.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy