Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off the beaten track

Poster: A snowHead
One of the things that gets me through times of no snow is my (our, as I insist Mrs Fridge will come to ) plan when we retire to spend a year skiing(or sooner if a lottery win comes our way)

I hope to do some of the more obvious, like a season some where and then Aus, NZ, South America and Japan but also would like to go to some of the more obscure like the Russia and its former republics, Lebanon, Turkey, Himalayas, Cypress and whatever else I can find out about in the next 25 years.

So where is the most obscure , out of the way or unusual place you have skied or know about. I guess some of the tourers out there may have found some very good non lift served terain but I think we will still be limited to lifts by the time we get round to it. So for me so far, as some of you may have read, the most out of the way was a couple of the small resorts near Rome.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Korea.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Does Afganistan not have some skiing?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gilberts Fridge, a friend of mine did Heliski in Kamchatka! He said skiing down the side of an active volcano was a new experience rolling eyes He had a pretty amazing time. Gotta try it!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Elizabeth B, I thought about it, if not it must have the potential, the same as Pakistan and India. Be interesting to see if anyone has been there.

Lizzard, I knew there was some in Korea, have you been or is it a wish. So many possibilities out there.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A hydro-electric town ski club in gorge in Labrador. The access was at the top of the slope, you skied down,and caught the lift back up to the club house.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stoatsbrother, had a look but could only find cross country ski clubs in Labrador, sounds like fun though.

Steilhang, Would like to think I'd be up to heliskiing by then, very cool place to go and just a short hop to Japan I guess, may go on the list of possibilities.

Just found this from the Times archive about Afghanistan, sorry about the length of the link, re formatted the PC and forgot to save the instructions.

Dodging the landmines, could be a new extreme slalom discipline maybe

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article729912.ece
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hmm..where would I go.... probably have alook at India and the Himalayas, the Urals altho' I am not sure how sorted they are there..
The state of the helis and lifts would be a concern to me... so maybe touring about Elbrus...

Of course, if you had enough money then Candian and Alsakan heli skiing sounds the biz.... and a few more places in Europe.. Not so much out of the way as just some things to do before you keel over...Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
anywhere with snow!
don't forget Iran (actually has resorts with lifts)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno wrote:
anywhere with snow!
don't forget Iran (actually has resorts with lifts)

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Dizin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Did forget about Iran, have a friend who lived there before and during the revolution. Said the people were great, really welcoming. He was asked to stay on after the revolution as he speaks Farsi but decided against it.

He never skied but he said the mountains were spetacular, in fact he was driving back from them when the revolution started to get serious and had to negociate a few iffy roadblocks to get home.

Had a look at II 's link didn't realise they were at 3500M, do you think the snow will be ok in March and when is the Tehran half term Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In Europe, it's Siciliy and Cyprus.

In Africa, it's Egypt.

In Eurasia, it's Iran.

In Asia, it's Afghanistan.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whitegold, skiing in Egypt? Where?

Iran and Afghanistan are both in Asia.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gilberts Fridge, What a wonderful story. There is at least one more skiing Afghan though as I taught one who was living in France many years ago. He was going to return after the war (Russians) was over. He wasn't much cop at it due to almost completely round legs (rickets), but he was a lovely guy and lots of fun. Being permanently on the outsite edges of your skis is a bit of an issue for turning, but might help in mine avoidance!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gilberts Fridge, I haven't been to anywhere particularly exotic to ski but my oddest day was in Scotland. School trip and on way to Glenshee. Couldn't get there - no idea why - high winds stopping lifts, drifting snow, attack of feral ptarmigans or somesuch.

Anyway just before the Spittal, we see a sign advertising a ski lift. We investigate and discover an enterprising farmer who's wound a rope round an old tractor wheel and is selling day tickets for 50p or something. School bus duly spend a happy few hours up and down one of his cow fields before the snow gets too thin.
snow conditions
Ski toured in Pakistan. 21 days on the Hispar-Biafo Glacier in the Karakoram. Fantastic experience.
snow report
Morocco.
ski holidays
uganda
snow report
Worcestershire Beacon in '95, not exactly of the beaten track but near enough.... Laughing
snow report
china?

http://www.business-in-asia.com/skichina.html
snow report
David Murdoch, sounds good fun though, afraid when I lived back home I never realised Scotlands potential. Now that I am back in England I might be able to get there. I do have a burning desire to try the Lake District clubs just to say I have.

Mike Pow, I saw some stuff when I was in living in Italy about a group of snowboarders touring Pakistan. It was all Helicopters though. Was the tour organised in anyway, sounds like it deserves a thread of its own too,
ski holidays
Oukaimeden in Morocco?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/main.jhtml?xml=/property/2007/12/25/psnow125.xml&page=2
latest report
Gilberts Fridge wrote:

Mike Pow, I saw some stuff when I was in living in Italy about a group of snowboarders touring Pakistan. It was all Helicopters though. Was the tour organised in anyway, sounds like it deserves a thread of its own too,

Drove up the Karakoram Highway to the village of Gilgit.

Then 2 day walk from the village to the tongue of the glacier at 4,000m. This was porter supported.

Then a group of 6 (tour leader David Hamilton plus 5 clients) skinned and pulled sleds up and down the Hispar-Biafo glacier.

We were met at the other end by the porters and had a two day walk to Skardu.

Amazing trip, scenery, people.

David is a great leader and I would recommend any of his ski tours.

David Hamilton, High Adventure
http://www.highadventure.org.uk/
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy