Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbuhel

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,
Thinking of booking a trip to Kitzbuhel mid March, whats the resort usually like at this time for snow????
Thanks in advance Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You should be fine. Resort runs may be a bit slushy towards the end of the month, but you should still be able to ski them.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Elizabeth B, Thanks, also is it cheaper to buy lift pass in resort or with tour op its £158 with Thomsons pp
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
romeowner, That might depend on the exchange rates. We got 1.1 something today. You can buy lift passes from either of the two big lift stations in Kitz.

snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kitzbühel is a great resort even for more advanced skiers. Anyways I can understand your concerns about snow in March. If you are unlucky you can have really bad conditions at the base stations. If you stick to the higher lifts you should be fine. If you want you can check out details about the resort here:
Kitzbuhel Ski Resort

Greetings from Bavaria
Martin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
martin82, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
martin82, Cheers Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oops and welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Also been reading on here about Austrian resorts not needing to be as high as the french resorts any thoughts on this?
Its just i found a good deal with free kids place for 7th March dont want to miss out on it but want snow too wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
romeowner, i was there middle of march
the very bottom of the hannenkahm was getting a bit slushy but the rest of the resort was fine
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nigel b, Thanks for the heads up gonna book 14th March i think
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
romeowner wrote:
Also been reading on here about Austrian resorts not needing to be as high as the french resorts any thoughts on this?

What's underfoot (or underski) is one of the critical factors. If the base is rock, like it is in many of the high resorts, then you have to have a deep level of snow to cover it, and make it skiable. Many of the Austrian resorts are pastureland, which can be skied with liitle more than a dusting of snow - hence being viable at lower altitudes.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
romeowner wrote:
Its just i found a good deal with free kids place for 7th March dont want to miss out on it but want snow too wink

The further east you go, it generally gets colder as the milder Atlantic influence wanes and the colder Continental air mass has more influence. Freeze-thaw levels are generally lower as a consequence. Couple that with the grassy pastures that are skiable with a thin base as Elizabeth B said, often makes for good conditions at what sound like low altitudes. But with snow, nothing's guaranteed! wink snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

The further east you go, it generally gets colder as the milder Atlantic influence wanes and the colder Continental air mass has more influence. Freeze-thaw levels are generally lower as a consequence. Couple that with the grassy pastures that are skiable with a thin base as Elizabeth B said, often makes for good conditions at what sound like low altitudes. But with snow, nothing's guaranteed!

Ah ok sounds good to me, all booked up and ready to go!!!! snowHead
Thanks for all your replies
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yeah that´s right the resorts in Austria provide better conditions even at lower altitudes. You can use the tree line as a good indicator. Tree line is at around 500m lower in Austria than in France. In my opinion snow in Austria is as good as in France even if the resorts are 500m lower. Have a nice trip. Kitzbuhel is great Happy
ski holidays
Kitzbuehel is too low for mid-Mar.

The skiing is not that testing.

And the ski areas are disjointed with a gash skibus service.

Go to Lech, instead.

Or rebook Kitz for Jan or Feb.
snow report
skidi, thanks for that it does looks great, and welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
Whitegold, you might have noticed that romeowner, is taking kids. This would suggest he isn't looking for all-out ski-challenge but some nice varied and scenic cruising with a nice town at the bottom of the hill with some other amenities like a decent pool.

If those are his circumstances (and I know I am guessing) then I would say Kitzbuhel is ideal. It is also a magical place in its own right. I found myself wandering off the Innsbruck to Munchen autobahn last week just to go and say hello to the place.

There are plenty of Kitz enthusiasts on snowHeads,

snowHead
snow report
Chris_Bish, Au contraire. The advice is bang on.

Dragging kids around ski areas that are miles apart, and onto infrequent skibuses, is no fun.

Taking kids onto green slopes is also no way to get them excited.

The guidance sticks.

Head higher in Mar.
snow conditions
Chris Bish, spot on this trip is for more of an all round trip its not my only trip either, so not fussed on a being a bit slushy at the bottom but on that note marh can be mad for snow. snowHead
Whitegold, i wont need to catch a bus as chalet is 2 mins from gondela and i believe the areas are linked, i'll prob head higher in aprill with no kids Very Happy
snow report
The 3S lift has done away with the need for buses, as far as my level of skiing is concerned, anyway. Plenty to keep me amused at the top of the Hahnenkamm. Come to that, I can spend a day on the Horn with enough cafe stops.

snowHead
snow report
Chris Bish, excuse my ignorance but whats the Horn???
snow report
romeowner, its the Kitzbuheler horn
on the other side of the town from the main Kitzbuhel slopes
Whitegold, disagree,it was fine last year
snow report
nigel b, ye just seen it on the piste map thanks, anyone done the safari here i read it was 35km of linked piste and a vert drop of 6000m Shock and doable without having to take your board of Very Happy
ski holidays
Whitegold, wtf? From the Hahnenkamm gondola you can ski all the way to the new Panoramabahn at Mittersill and back without touching a bus... The lift system has been much upgraded in recent years, with plenty of high speed lifts - and the few slower lifts means there are still some runs that arent ridiculously crowded... On an average year, the snow will be fine. On a less than average year, the extensive snowmaking should ensure some decent skiing. On a better than average year it could be fantastic...

romeowner, enjoy Very Happy
ski holidays
romeowner, check out these amazing pics:

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=24499&hilit=kitzbuhel

They show the entire ski safari in great detail Smile
snow conditions
oasis13, cheers nice1 snowHead
Just checked those pics out AWSOME!!!!!

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 26-10-08 21:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Whitegold wrote:
Kitzbuehel is too low for mid-Mar.

The skiing is not that testing.

And the ski areas are disjointed with a gash skibus service.

Rubbish. The ski areas are all linked, apart from the Horn. If you want to go there just ski/board there that day. The skibus service is fine and runs to the timetable - we've never had a problem. Last year we were there from about 8-15 March - the Hahnenkamm run was a bit of a no-goer, although the OH and plenty of others did ski it but everything else was fine. We had fresh snow as well. Obviously this can change from year to year wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Must go to Kitzbuehel one day...
snow report
Was there in Feb this year for a lads weekend. good fun had by all. The 3s really makes a difference to the ease of skiing around between a couple of the main sections. Definately reduced the q's getting across the 3s early and skiing that side on a busy and sunny sunday..
latest report
Mid March is a bit late, too late I'd say, although there will be skiing and it'll be quiet. The ski area is not disjointed apart from the Horn, but to my intense irritation, I have to agree with whitegold that the bus service is ropey, IME.
snow conditions
Thanks for your heads up on this place guys we have just returned from our best trip ever!!!!!!!!!!!!
As for the non believers i was boarding in knee deep powder on friday and you can still ski to the base snow is a plenty.
Thankyou Very Happy
ski holidays
Excellent. Where did you stay? I'm always on the lookout for cheap and cheerful pensions in Kitzbuhel.
ski holidays
romeowner, lucky you. I went this time last season and there was no snow at resort level, but up top it was lovely... Very Happy
latest report
richmond, we stayed in chalet Karlberger run by Crystal, basic but good and in a great location you can ski to the back door!!! no buses needed only to get to the horn where we stayeed for the day and walked back only took about 15 mins.....
queen bodecia, its getting a bit thin toward the bottom but still skiable, there will be skiing there well into Aprill no problem...
P.s how the hell did they manage to install the 3s cable car!!!!! awsome....
snow conditions
romeowner, great to hear that you had a sweet trip!
snow report
romeowner, apparently one of the 3S cars has a transparent floor; I haven't found it yet. When I was there a few weeks ago I wondered how they got the cables across. Fixing one end and taking them across by helicopter is the obvious way, but that length of cable would weigh too much, I'd have thought. Using a lighter cable might work, but then dragging the heavy cable across though the tress would be impossible, I imagine. Laying the cables across the running gear on the pylons must have been a bit of a challenge too. No doubt there's a simple solution, but I can't see it.
ski holidays
romeowner, I stayed at the Karlberger too. I'm sure Katie and Courtney looked after you well... Very Happy

I also happened across the 3S bubble with the window in the floor. It's actually a bit of an anticlimax, you get a view of trees far below and not much else. Nice idea though...

richmond, last year on the Bergbahn website they had a little video showing the construction of the 3S Bahn. Not sure if it's still there and the narration was in German, most interesting...
snow conditions
queen bodecia, yes, I suppose trees would be about it, but I like the idea of gliding along looking down on the tree tops; I quite fancy the cantilevered glass floor which juts out into the Grand Canyon, strainght down for a mile or whatever it is.

I couldn't find the movie about construction, although there is still a lot of info about the 3S bahn on the site. I'm guessing that they helicoptered a lighter cable over and ran something across on that towing the heavy cable.
latest report
richmond, however they done it it's pretty impressive, first time i saw it it took my breath away!!!
queen bodecia, not sure i met them or if they were there at all, the chalet staff and chef were english students on gap years very nice and helpfull..
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy