Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arc 1950

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm sorry if this question has been asked before - I did check but couldn't find anything. Is there any discernible difference between the Sas Raddison and the Intrawest apartments in Arc 1950? For the week we want the Sas is £160 more expensive. Also any tips about 1950 or Arc generally greatly appreciated - we haven't been there before and your inside knowledge would help make our holiday more special (hopefully!). We are going 31 Jan for 7 days via Eurostar. Thanks a bunch.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
HI Greenfinch

Welcome to snowheads.

I'm not sure on the apartments, have not been to les arcs since 1950 was built, so can't help but no doubt Rob will be along in a minute who is very knowledgeable on all things 1950 related, although he lives down the hill a smidge.

In terms of tips etc, then what sort of skiing do you like to do - you'll find it all in les arcs from gentle greens and blues for the learners to some challenging blacks and some great off piste runs, like from the top of the aiguille rouge.

Have you seen the interactice on-line brochure - http://www.lesarcs.com/brochures/ which has quite a lot practical information in it (and in various languages!)

You mentioned you're going by Eurostar - our trip was by that method - is that the overnight one or the daytime one. If it's the overnight one then take earplugs, eye-shades and a bottle of vino. Have a few drinks as you leave waterloo (ooops I meant that funny place north of the river) and then relax and try and get some kip. It's quite an easy walk on arrival from the train station to the funicular but it's not that well signed (IIRC). Take the funicular up the hill too 1600 (you'll need to buy a pass unless you've bought a lift pass online) and hop on the free shuttle bus round to 1950. If you're on the daytime train then you should be good to check-in, if you're on the overnight then go and ask nicely at the reception. Chances are you might not be able to check-in but they probably have a left luggage area where you can leave your kit. Grab some brekky, some skis, and hit the slopes, but take your passports etc with you.

In terms of lift pass - I've found when I've done la plagne that it wasn't worth getting the full paradiski pass for the full number of days. We got the la plagne pass with 1x day in les arcs, which seemed to work fine, as there's more than enough on one side to keep you busy, and if you want to go back across then you can just get another 1x day extension.

Enjoy - I'm out there all season so will have some better tips once I've reminded myself of a few runs and bars
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JimW is the 1950 expert as he has a place there. From what I've seem of the village all the accommodation is high quality.

I agree that a Les Arcs pass with a one day Paradiski extension is a good idea. If you are looking for lessons the ski school in 1950, Spirit 1950, has a good reputation.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hey there, we stayed in the Intrawest apartments over new year a few years ago. To be honest they were great, I can't see any reason to spend another £160. It's not that they were overly luxurious or anything but they we definitely very comfortable, well equipped, clean etc and I can't fault them. A very pleasant place to stay.

1950 as a whole is essentially what you would expect from a purpose built village, very functional, great convenient, not a whole lot of character which I do like in a resort but may not matter too much to others. The skiing is great as there is so much scope, the only draw back of 1950 is that you can't go anywhere else (i.e. 2000, 1800) later in the evening so you've got to be satisfied with what you've got at that level.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
greenfinch, welcome to snowHead

We have a place in the IRR end of town which is the original, and so perhaps ever so slightly more worn, on the basis on being a few years older. Mind you, I think there were re-decoration programmes going on this summer - it used to be run by a company called HMC, who sold it back to Intrawest last year, and we love it.

The difference really seems to come in the peripherals - the reception areas seem a little more lively, the fires more readily lit, the cushions slightly more plumped. But since both ends of the village are pretty much integrated, you won't miss out on what the other has to offer - everything really is within easy walking distance (or, easy 'just popping back to the apartment because your daughter has forgotten gloves / suncream/goggles/ sticks before ski school" distance)

To be honest, the rooms are bigger than any other you'll find in Europe for the price , maybe not quite NA sizes though. Our place, 2 bedrooms, (can sleep 6 if you use the lounge), is 56sq m + 18sqm balcony. Which if you were to flog at ye olde traditional French resorts (ie the 1960's super blocks), would probably be sold for 26 skiers.
Kitchens well equiped, TV with satellite in each apartment. Hotel style bathroom pack on arrival (OK enough pimping, I know. Sorry)

What to know about 1950 - well, have a search around Snowheads (the search button is at the top LHS) I think I've written a few tomes on here! But some instant advice...

Really is ski-in ski out - I might have posted the pictures on here of us skiing into the boot-room before unclipping (a one off - I confess) - and has pools (indoor and out, and indeed swim through!) saunas, hot tubs, small amounts of gym equipment in each block, plus dvd library, street entertainment every day of the season, supermarket, speciality shops, wine shop run by Brits, kids club, blah blah blah.

Spirit 1950 is a good school.

Renting kit is expensive in Ogier, but queues in Concept are horrendous. There is pedestrian access to 2000 via the cabriolet, which can lead to better hire opportunities.

Restaurants get mixed reviews amongst the owners - some better than others. But there are Take-aways from the Italian and East ( indian, mongolian, thai iirc -etc.) and the supermarket does a wicked roast chicken: order at lunch, pick up to go with your veggies in the evening.
Generally the bars are varied and acceptable, with a variety of either traditional entertainments, live music, or video walls for the X-games generation. Albeit can be pricey if you are doing it all night every night.

One downside of the SAS end of town, is that that is where the night-club is, and last year, after the smoking ban was introduced, the noise pollution from everyone popping out for a fag was apparently disturbing. Perhaps they have sorted that this year with double doors.

Good choice on the Eurostar. As the other say , plenty of ways up the hill. Don't be put off the option of a taxi - about €70 euros, even for the mini bus type, which if there are a number of you can seem like a good deal rather than lugging your suitcases over the bridge to the funicular, ( a long haul after you get off the Eurostar, you have to get off via the main station, and then go back on yourself) and then the 100yds or so to the navette at the top.

Or there are buses from the bus station part of the rail station direct to to the village (Autobus Martin, ) which I think are about €12 a head

But as I say, search Snowheads for more details, or drop me a PM, and I'll dig out some previous advice for visitors ( cut and paste, what a wonderful timesaver!) -you'll have a great time

Jim
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We stayed in the SAS Raddison. It was extremely comfortable - separate bedroom to living/kitchen. Also, it was virtually ski-in/out. We had a great time.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
a friend is thinking of going next easter, what will the snow cover be like then.

jase snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the information everyone. Thanks Jim for the tips. We (OH&I) are cruising intermediates! All help greatly appreciated.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jase2472 wrote:
a friend is thinking of going next easter, what will the snow cover be like then.

jase snowHead

In a typical year lower slopes would probably be very soft or slushy in the afternoon and quite icy in the morning, but upper slopes should be good. Easter is a nice time to be in resort with the potential for long sunny days and pleasant temperatures.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
greenfinch wrote:
Thanks for all the information everyone. Thanks Jim for the tips. We (OH&I) are cruising intermediates! All help greatly appreciated.

Well you've got to have ago at the villaroger to montalbert challenge (or the other way round) but if you are staying in 1950 would make sense to go to montalbert for lunch and then back for tea. It's purely for fun and a good excuse to stretch the legs and go across the VE for a look at the 'other side'
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy