Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Europe is far better than North America

Poster: A snowHead
wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How can you compare a pastime with a continent?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Troll Boy strikes again wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, go back to work..or get down the gym.. wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes. What's there to discuss? Confused

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin WTFH isn't here anymore anyway Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
North America has better snow
North America has VERY few avalanche prone runs
North America doesn't have off piste, which is better in my opinion as you can ski everything on the map aka covering the whole mountain

I go North America. I am the Patriot of this place, die Loyalists! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skiking4, North America has one mountain for each resort - boring.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
erica2004, not entirely accurate.

If you mean there are fewer opportunities to ski from resort to resort and that the facilities and accommodation aren't crammed so tight so that the average french apartment for four is small than the average US bathroom - I would agree Toofy Grin

skiking4, so what is Backcountry skiing if not off-piste?

fatbob, what skimottaret said... NehNeh
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Europe isn't full of Americans, there we go!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stoatsbrother wrote:
... so what is Backcountry skiing if not off-piste?

Off piste AND outside the resort area.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
europe does not have daft early lift closing times. Why fly for hours and have a transfer for hours when the lifts close at 3.30pm!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
chrisb, fair point I would say.

I guess the explanation is to make sure the pistes and ski area are closed down properly, especially since US pistes are often areas rather than narrow bands of ice surrounded by off-piste. Or maybe it is because the French love their Orthopaedic surgeons so much that they like to reward them by funnelling loads of skiers together into narrow icy runs just as the visibility goes and the weather cools NehNeh

Standee, and sadly - vice versa also makes the US more attractive.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mosha Marc, whereas European off-piste is the bits the ski area can't be arsed to look after inside their area? wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Backcountry is off piste, it just is to the outer sides of the boundary making more runs available instead of having in Europe with few runs but tons of space.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
At least in Eurodisney when we pay for something, we know it includes the labour charge.
snow conditions
stoatsbrother wrote:
chrisb, fair point I would say.

I guess the explanation is to make sure the pistes and ski area are closed down properly, especially since US pistes are often areas rather than narrow bands of ice surrounded by off-piste. Or maybe it is because the French love their Orthopaedic surgeons so much that they like to reward them by funnelling loads of skiers together into narrow icy runs just as the visibility goes and the weather cools NehNeh

Standee, and sadly - vice versa also makes the US more attractive.

Americans are, to a man, a vile race.
latest report
chrisb, ours close at 10pm.
latest report
comprex, we have indoor slopes that stay open much later than that Razz
snow report
Mosha Marc, it takes that long to make up for all the times the lifts stop for Brits to load and unload? Shocked
snow report
Standee, what a banal and stupid thing to say. And as a Brit - I think that proves my point about sometimes being nice to be away from europeans.

There are horrible yanks and good yanks. Horrible people from yerp and nice people from yerp.

This thread was started as a good humoured troll by someone who I believe likes North American skiing.
snow conditions
Standee, what a stupid thing to say. You are a grade A t*sser.
ski holidays
Why I love Europe:

1) Better value lift passes;
2) Within easy reach of UK;
3) Sleeping on my mate's sofa saves £££££s;
4) Lots of variety within a small area;
5) More vert;
6) Faster lifts.

Why I love Canada:

1) It's empty;
2) It pukes;
3) High quality terrain;
4) Lighter snow (in the interior...);
5) Great atmosphere.

Conclusion: I love them both Cool

...but Canada just that little bit more snowHead
snow conditions
Hull is a place that would have one plonker at least!

A geographic area is bound to have decent and vile people in it. So castigating an entire race by their geographic profile is ... er ... foolish!
snow report
stoatsbrother,

Indeed

On one side , I can go there for the weekend, huge areas/potential, familiarity, traditional apres

On the other, better chance of a powder day (if you pick carefully), can ski alone without worrying too much about avy/crevasse, more trees, tailgating

US people are always seem quite surprised as for them the Alps is the mecca though often they acknowledge they have shitted out with luck when they have taken a trip over.
snow report
Sharkymark wrote:
Why I love Europe:
6) Faster lifts.
Puzzled
latest report
skisimon, faster than many in Fernie perhaps, but great snow can be worth waiting for.
snow conditions
comprex wrote:
Mosha Marc, it takes that long to make up for all the times the lifts stop for Brits to load and unload? Shocked

ha ha ha ha

funniest thing I ever saw was Yanks trying to cope with the T-bar to Horseshoe bowl in Breck... now there is funny, down right hysterical and triple A clueless Laughing Laughing Laughing
it still brings a smile to my face nearly 20 years later...
latest report
stoatsbrother, and which resort to which resort can you ski to and from ? Breckenridge to Vail perhaps?
Actually, I do luxury - wouldn't catch me in a Pierre et Vacance. wink Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Standee, Hey, I have an American niece and nephew. And the Americans are great !
snow report
And there's me thinking this was an ironic, take the p!ss, thread rolling eyes
snow conditions
erica2004, http://www.skiutah.com/interconnect/

JT, wink
latest report
erica2004 wrote:

Not quite a true statement Smile plenty of places which contradict this.

I prefer skiing North America for my own reasons Very Happy But have nothing against Europe, and if only taking a weeks break at atime would head there. they are both different experiences thankfully wink
ski holidays
erica2004, I agreed you couldn't easily ski resort to resort, but there are resorts with more than one mountain... which is what you said.

Mosha Marc - indeed Sad
snow conditions
Mosha Marc, stoatsbrother, it's happening to almost every thread which has been started as a p!ss take. Wossamatter with everybody?
ski holidays
British Columbia is the place to go. No Americans or French Toofy Grin
latest report
Spyderman, spot on!
ski holidays
erica2004 wrote:

I just realized there're a lot of tourists on ski in Europe. Laughing
latest report
North America usually has several mountains like Europe... just less than half the size.
snow conditions
Will a McCain / palin victory change anyone's mind?
ski holidays
I am about to try US skiing, but I was a bit disappointed with how little off-piste (ie off-trail) there was at Whistler. The in-resort off-piste seemed to get skied out in a day -(like the close to the pistes stuff in, for example, Argentiere) and the further out backcountry couldn't be skied from the lifts but required serious skinning (in a day we skied a pathetically tiny amount of gentle stuff - I regretted doing it) - unlike the huge and varied areas available at the best European resorts where a guide can find you untracked snow long after the last snowfall - skiing back to the lifts (perhaps many miles away or circling back) or a linked lift sytem, or occasionally requiring a taxi or a short train journey - perhaps from another country. However if you want to discover European resorts beyond the piste areas you do need to go with a guide, which does put up the cost of holidays.

However, I did enjoy Whistler and I'd probably go back. I think I skied more steeps in one day with "Extremely Canadian" in my first of two days with them, than I have anywhere else.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy