Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting skis to/from resort

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone come across an alternative to the punitive charges on Easyjet or Ryanair?  I'm not thinking different airline e.g.BA or Swiss, I'm just trying to minimise costs for self and wife going to Argentiere and Kitzbuehel by sending luggage separately. I tried contacting Parcel2go but they turned out more expensive.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
With ryanair you will probably get away with 2 skis in double ski bag - to be honest I think you're stuck. when i looked at swiss air you could get return flights from heathrow to geneva/zurich for £120. easyjet/ryan air are barely cheaper and that's beforeyou add on ski hire
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This new luggage brand looks interesting - http://www.snokart.com/ - everything goes as one item either as luggage or sporting goods. According to the site they are at the ski show.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have just booked Ryanair Birmingham to Grenoble for March. Including 1 hold bag, skis & the "handling fee", it is costing me £120 return. On looking at the ski carriage detail it says "skis/snowboard (including boots and poles)" so I am assuming that I can take my bootbag and ski bag separately from my hold baggage with its own weight limit, meaning I can pack sallies etc round the skis to save weight in the hold bag - there is no bag that holds both skis and boots that I know of.

£120 sounds a lot, but I think that is only because they have always advertised ridiculous figures that represent only the "seat hire" element of the flight then as you go through the booking you get loads of bits and pieces added on. I think they'd be far less criticised if they said "let us show you how much we can discount your ticket", started with a figure representing the same cost as a scheduled alternative and then as you went through the booking process knocked bits off rather than what they do now. Eg the FULL price of your flight is £150. We'll knock off £20 "seat discount" for date X and £30 for date Y. If you don't have hold baggage we will knock off £20 more.... , if you're happy to board with group C instead of group A we will knock off £16. etc etc. It'd have a better "feel good factor" to see the price coming down not going up.

And to be honest I don't think £60 each way is that expensive when I consider it compared with how far that'd take me by train or by car these days.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Butterfly wrote:
` - there is no bag that holds both skis and boots that I know of.

More or less any roller coffin bag e.g. DaKine lowroller does this & can hold all your clothes and faff.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob, which, purely by coincidence, many airlines will now not accept as 'normal' hold luggage, and there are classified as outsize baggage. Another amazing coincidence is the mysterious handling charges which come with this classification.

rolling eyes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob, I thoguht they were not long enough for skis, only for snowboards!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Butterfly i've got a cheap and cheerful one purchased about 3yrs ago from ebay that fits skis up to 185cm
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Snokart bags fit all sorts in from what I gather depending what combinations you use.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ellis brigham double wheel ski bag holds two pairs of skis poles and boots (though for us that takes us over the 32kg limit)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anyone know exactly what Ryanair's current £50 for ski equipment (including boots/poles) gets you in terms of no of bags and weight? I assume this has to be in addition to their limit of 15Kg per passenger, irrespective of whether that is in 1, 2 or 3 hold bags!

fatbob, have just been looking at sites that have pics of the Dakine Low Roller. They say it has "exterior access boot pockets". Are these actually separate pockets that keep boots separate from other contents? Would ski boots or only boarding boots fit them?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I presume if you pay for sports equipment then that allows you to 1 bag upto 32kgs The sports equipment bit does say per item..probably cheaper to do boot bags as extra hold luggage
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As I understand it snowkart bags lock together creating one item of luggage.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Butterfly, I have this::

http://www.facewest.co.uk/Dakine-Fall-Line-Double.html

Good for a couple pairs of skis, pair of boots +clothing.

It's 185 cm long so plenty big for your skis
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gordyjh, We always get away with 2 sets of skis in one bag with EasyJet, and pay for 1 carriage.
snow conditions
or you can forget about your old skis, no maintenance and no wax, no shipping costs or hassles and rent the latest models instead Smile
snow report
arv wrote:
Butterfly, I have this::

http://www.facewest.co.uk/Dakine-Fall-Line-Double.html

Good for a couple pairs of skis, pair of boots +clothing.

It's 185 cm long so plenty big for your skis

Yes, been looking online and seen this and wondering really what the difference (apart from length) there is between this and the "Low Roller", anyone know?
ski holidays
Butterfly, I think you might have the only difference. Didn't really look too much in to it, needed the extra length of the ski specific ones for my skis.
snow report
wbsr wrote:
or you can forget about your old skis, no maintenance and no wax, no shipping costs or hassles and rent the latest models instead Smile

At Whistler rental prices I think I'd rather pay for the extra bag wink
snow conditions
arv, was wondering if the ski version has dividers/straps/pockets or whatever sized for skis/poles and the low-roller is designed inside specifically for boards. The advertising info is uninformative on this and I don't know who stocks the two so I could go and look - EB's website suggests they don't.
ski holidays
Butterfly, Nope nothing inside. They boot pockets are sufficiently padded but the ski space is just a big space with nothing in it. I just bubble wrapped my skis and shoved some of my clothes in there as well.
ski holidays
I bought a Volkl wheeled Double ski bag from Two Seasons in Peterborough today. Absolute bargain for only £40. It's 190cm long and I've fitted 2 pairs (of not too fat) skis in with plenty of room for a few bits of clothing.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy