Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking a baby on a ski holiday?

Poster: A snowHead
Only just come accross this thread and are in the same boat.
We took our 8 year old when she was 3 1/2 but left her with grand parent before.
She was about 1 year old when we left her the first time.
Our new daughter will only be 5 months and Mrs Llew doesn't want to leave her.

However felt had to ask about your calculation with respect to flying rather than driving.
We have opted for driving for the first time.
We are going half term and taking grandparents, therefore the cost of flights for 4 adults, 1x8 year old and 1x4 months old look to be around £1600.
To drive with a car full we plan to use Tesco club card vouchers to book channel tunnel.
Surely fuel, tolls, wear and tear, over night stops will not come to half that?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As I say, luckily, grandparents are happy to pay for themselves. Looking at a deal through crystal, if you dont take flights its less £60. Say 4 people are in the car = credit of £240.

I make it roughly a 1600 mile roundtrip by car from bournemouth (which will take approx 13 hours each way). My car does roughly 450 miles with £55 of fuel making 12p per mile = approx £200 in just fuel. Not sure on toll cost + winter tyres / snow chains = I think I would rather pay to fly.

Im sure an accomodation only deal may make the sums considerably different (were also looking at going in January) , but at this moment in time, not found the right deal out there yet!

P.S. my clubcard vouchers will be used for chirstmas lunch!! Blush
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
toll cost roughly £70 each way

Winter tyres/chains are an investment and cost spread across several trips

Whatever suits in my view - I've never looked at flight options cos I like the drive

.............and I really hate flying Embarassed
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah ok, I guess it does make a big difference as to when you are looking at going.
I expect driving to be a similar price no matter when you go.
Since it is the first time driving down, then will have to see what its like with a baby.
Definately agree with "luckily, grandparents are happy to pay for themselves" and they even do the food shopping and most of the cooking.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boris, Sorry a bit off topic, but are Winter tyres nessessary if going to a low resort like morzine?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Llew, you'll get a million and one responses to that - I'm sure others will add to this but:

1. A winter tyre will give you better performance in low temps/ice/rain and snow/ So if there is a small amount of snow on the road you will probably not need chains. If you live in the alps or making several trips they would be a worthwhile investment.
2. Having chains is a really good idea - at times they will be a legal requirement to use and police will enforce. Can rent or buy before you go or buy closer to the resort - would suggest buying/hiring in the UK and practice putting them on
3. Your normal UK tyres are legal - but if there is snow you may find you need to put chains on
4. If the roads are clear you won't have a problem
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Boris, I was looking at taking chains.
I have needed to put chains on a hire car one year on way up to Flaine.
It was starting to get dark and it was the first time I had every looked at them.
Great fun, Not!

As it is the first time driving down, if the driving goes well, then I may look at investing in a set of winter tyres.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Llew, Jbo: depends on your deal.
If going as part of a package with Travel Operator, then usually worth sticking with the operator flight.
However, if going DIY, then a full car usually wins out.
But Llew,
Four adults, and 8 yr old, and 4 mnths old, and all the luggage? Now, that's a different matter.
That's two cars. Or a bus.
I would take the plane.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonpim, yep its going to be a big roof box wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Llew, Brilliant!
Kids in the roofbox,
Why did I never think of that?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Either leave the baby with the grandparents or don't go.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jbo,
Quote:
P.S. my clubcard vouchers will be used for chirstmas lunch!! Blush

But they are worth more if you convert them to deals, and use them for your eurotunnel crossinge.g a £10 clubcard voucher is worth £40.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Helen Beaumont, absolutely - our current 'deals' total is £1500, which would have gone on skiing but due to it only being valid for Virgin and Cosmos holidays, is instead going to pay for a nice chunk of our trip to Florida next summer instead.

And to think we used to spend them in cash in store...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skiing grandparents are the best of all worlds. (Being one myself, I say that with confidence!). I wouldn't have left a 4 month old baby with anyone else but they're very easy to travel with (mine were breastfed at that age, which makes things hugely easy, but even formula fed babies shouldn't be having any other foods at 4 months, so no need to take suitcases full of his favourite mashed up stuff). We didn't ski with tiny babies (couldn't afford it!) but I did a solo round the world trip with my last baby at 4 months without the slightest problem (the job required that I went to London, and I couldn't leave her for a week as she was breastfed). And without any extra baggage too - just a baby sling, a wheelie suitcase and the boobs. You don't need to cart pushchairs etc - you can rent them in ski resorts. Travelling with kids becomes a problem once they're mobile and object to being confined. A 21 hour journey with a 16 month old can become a trial.....

We spent 6 weeks travelling with our No. 3, from 6 - 12 weeks old. Disneyworld, Washington, grandmothers' houses, friends, etc. At that age they don't even need a cot because they'll stay where they're put. She generally slept with me, or in drawers, or on sofas, or spare beds. The only problem we encountered was ludicrously over air-conditioned American buses, e.g. between Orlando hotels and Disneyworld. My OH had to take his T shirt off to wrap round her.

Modern babies seem to have become very big consumers - my grandchildren never seem to be able to travel without a whole car full of equipment. But it's really not necessary.

If it's really cold in resort I'd be inclined to leave a baby indoors where possible and if it's sunny they'd need sunglasses. They look extremely cute in them but mine always tore them off at the first opportunity.

You must have this holiday now - it'll be much more difficult next year! But OK as long as you keep the grandparents sweet. I have a secret dream (well it's not a secret now.....) to teach my grandson to snowboard. But he's only 2.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jbo, Go for it, we did it earlier this year with our 8 week old. I had second, third and fourth thoughts but was glad we did it and now going away feels really easy! It sounds like you'll have lots of support while away.

We did go in March so it was a bit warmer but everything was fine. She was an angel and slept for a lot of the journey. We couldn't face a long car journey as she hated her car seat so we were glad we flew. It was the easiest journey we've done with her as it has become harder now she is more aware. She needs more entertaining!

I recommend you plan for every eventuality, e .g. if bottle feeding allow for airport delays and take plenty of bottles. You can buy pre-sterilised bottles that you use once which we found really useful. Take loads of formula in hand luggage just in case the cases go astray! We found that she needed more to drink/eat due to altitude and cold, drier air. We only took a few nappies and bought some in Morzine which saved on luggage weight.

We also took a kettle so we had one in our room as the chalet used an urn which meant re-boiled water. Plus we took all the bottle washing stuff. Otherwise we rang the chalet and checked that they had all we needed, e.g. cot etc.

If you plan to use a baby carrier then they may not fit into it whilst wearing a snow suit so we took booties, extra socks, hat, gloves, a jacket and a large fleece which fitted my husband and also went around the baby. I think you can get a wrap-around cosy for some carrier brands though. We also took baby sunglasses for the brightness of the snow and sun block. Plus, teething gel and calpol.

For the plane, we took plenty of toys and books and made sure we gave her a drink on take off and landing to help with the air pressure. We've done 3 trips/flights now and only once has she had a cry and that was the last 5 minutes of a flight - presumably the air pressure. Once we gave her a drink she was fine. I also sang to her!! Perhaps the other passengers would have preferred the crying!

All the best.
snow report
This is my first post on the site - I've been looking at the thread about planes and children with a cold sweat. We're taking our boy to Les Arcs 1950 at the start of March when he will be 12 months old, and wondering about how fellow passengers will respond. All has been made quite clear with the Two Tribes of antis and pros. Calpol ahoy.
latest report
actually it may be Calpol for mrs OM and myself rather than OM Minor
snow report
oldman, welcome to Snowheads. And don't worry. It's a very short flight, and if you encounter any grumpy old gits, just ignore them. Have a great trip.
latest report
oldman, just follow excellent advice from pam w and Hayls - you'll be fine.
The only problem we ever had was the one mentioned by Hayls - crying from ear discomfort when descending into airport.
Make sure he has something to eat as the plane descends - doesn't work everytime, but can help.
snow report
oldman, Don't worry yourself. The people most worried about what baby does during the flights are mum and dad. In our experience (short and long haul with two boys, from the age of 3 months to XX years), the younger they are the easier it is!
snow conditions
oldman, don't worry, honestly. As RobW, you'll be more bothered than anyone else and other parents will be sympathetic. OM Minor may be natural on a plane, and may not be even slightly pertubed! Our eldest son flew first at 8 weeks, then 10 months and 18 months - he was fine each time and slept for most of the flights.
snow report
jbo

Don't drive with a 4 month old. Even if you had to pay 1000 extra, it's not worth the hassle. Driving with a little one can be a nightmare.

If the grandparents are happy to go, then go for it. Just be sure to give them equal, if not slightly more time, out on the slopes. I would ease into the week-long trips without the kid. Start of small with one-night or weekend holidays, then work your way up. The misses will be begging for time off around the time the little bug starts moving more and getting into everything!
latest report
Quote:

Driving with a little one can be a nightmare.

Babies vary. Some are good in cars and basically just sleep (but then can decide, when you arrive home exhausted at 3 am after 12 hours driving, that it's time to wake up and have Lots of Fun). Others don't like cars. You soon find out which sort of baby you've got. wink
snow report
Total agree pam w, We have used the car to send our first who is now 8 years and our latest 6 weeks to go to sleep.
Drive around the block a few times and hey presto fast asleep.
ski holidays
pam w, You've omitted the carsick ones Skullie One of ours couldn't go for more than 20mins without throwing up. She's a bit better now (23yrs later)
ski holidays
genepi, ah yes, you're right! None of mine were desperately car sick but my daughter still remembers the day when, about 9 years told, she threw up so violently and suddenly on a day trip some hours from home that I had to go into the nearest shop where I could buy her new underwear, a new track suit and new trainers and socks. She still needs frequent stops and bags of crisps to nibble, and she's now 25 and buys her own clothes. wink
latest report
not a nice picture
snow conditions
pam w, Sounds like mine A trip to London up the M3 recently involved a stop at each service station - 3 in total rolling eyes But the change of clothes thing - well, I got used to packing several changes of clothes for all of us on a long trip. We lived in Edinburgh when she was at her worst, & needing to make many trips to Essex.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't know anything about taking little kids skiing but maybe there's something in here
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/holiday_type/winter_sports/article2696566.ece
snow report
Travel sick kids? (both mine were) No problem!
Drug 'em. And they sleep the whole way.
We used Joy rides (hyoscine) or Phenergan (promethazine).
Not forgetting all the other sensible precautions: babycentre.co.uk.
ski holidays
We took my son when he was 12 months.

We stayed in a hotel we'd been to a number of times before so I emailed them asking what equipment they could lend us to save carriage.

If your wife is breastfeeding then that's easy. If not then you can get sachets of pre-measured formula. Check what the airline allows you to carry in the cabin. Obviously if not BFing then you will also need to take bottles, steriliser etc which starts to get tricky as babes in arms don't get a baggage allowance.

We got clothes from young explorers http://www.youngexplorers.co.uk/ They do all-in-ones, thermals, cosy toes etc. If you can take a pushchair then do as it means you can go out with the baby and they can sleep.

We took turns skiing. On the whole it worked pretty well.

Go for it! Very Happy
latest report
I'd check the airline about baggage because we found they vary. When we went with BA we paid the tax and an extra £20 for the infant booking and got a 22kg baggage allowance and hand luggage allowance - very useful for the changing bag and bottles etc. We could also take tins of formula in the hand luggage. We had to taste all the bottles we took.
latest report
Thank you for the positive and constructive advice! Its a definite that were going to take the baby and the babysitters ( I mean grandparents)!!

I just need to find a good deal as babies are expensive! Shocked Very Happy
snow report
Jbo, go DIY, book a big and well equipped apartment where nobody has to sleep on a sofa bed in the living room. Maybe in a compact resort where you can meet easily - somewhere where your accommodation is just a short hike from a central lift point, and from the shops. When we did a similar arrangement we found grandma much appreciated the clatter of hungry skiers coming in for lunch after ski lessons. She did lunch, I did the evening meals. Eating out on the slopes pushes up the cost hugely, if you're trying to do a holiday on a budget.
And whoever is home with the baby will want a nice place to be - not a poky hole.

If you want to self drive, look at Erna Low - they have some good apartments available, though it can be cheaper booking direct with owners. If you fly you can make life easier with a private taxi/minibus transfer.

Apartments in mid Jan are not expensive - maybe 400 or 450 euros for two bedrooms, well equipped. If you want to fly you might consider renting for two weeks so you can travel mid week and have 10 days on the slopes. That should provide plenty of time for everyone to ski and be more relaxed all round. The main ski airports are pretty grim at weekends. snowHead
latest report
I totally agree with pam w, we have gone DIY for the last 4 years and are convinced we save compared to package prices.
We have used http://www.pv-holidays.com/ or local accommodation agencies for apartments/chalets.
I'm sure I've seen another discussion on here with useful links for car hire, bus transfers, etc

We are lucky enough that Grandma likes shopping, cooking, therefore its almost fully catered.
We tend to give her a night off and pay for a meal out wink
latest report
Quote:

We tend to give her a night off and pay for a meal out

Lucky old grandma. I hope you do the washing up too! My flute teacher, who had just had a baby, and loved skiing, told me her mother wouldn't be much good as a baby sitter because she was always off heli-skiing. wink

DIY isn't always cheaper but it's much more flexible, and you can find a far better choice of apartments, with no question of "under-occupancy" charges. The internet has made it all very easy.
latest report
Jbo wrote:
As some people have said, the grandparents are quite happy to pay their way as theyre also skiers and we'll take turns between baby sitting and skiing. I looked at the drive option and for the time it will take and the cost in fuel, it works out better to fly. Although I may look for flights from Bournemouth to reduce the overall length.

Thanks for the positive comments on taking the baby! I used this forum last year for advice on skiing when pregnant (Mrs Jbo was 10 weeks when we went to Breckenridge) and we went for it, (although taking it very carefully with me right behind her the whole time) so I suppose were more of the risk taking type! Cool

Our little boy will be 7 months old when we go in February. We are driving - I prefer it and it is much more convenient (we are in Bournemouth too).
ski holidays
oldman, welcome to snowheads.

don't worry about kids on short haul flights- really....

or long haul

especially if breast feeding- they just feed

ours have travelled quite a bit with no problems at all-

best of luck and have agreat time- everyone has been there and the thing about having children is that the vast majority of people will go out of their way to help you
snow report
Jonpim wrote:
Travel sick kids? (both mine were) No problem!
Drug 'em. And they sleep the whole way.
We used Joy rides (hyoscine) or Phenergan (promethazine).
Not forgetting all the other sensible precautions: babycentre.co.uk.

Would endorse the efficacy of Joy Rides. Our youngest can be sick on a 20 minute journey to school, so we had to find something that worked when driving to the Alps! He's too young for Kwells, but the above are for younger children and did the job. All the way to Les Gets and back, and only threw up on the final descent from there on the day we left! We'd forgotten to give him a tablet rolling eyes
snow conditions
Jbo wrote:
all the baby paraphanalia we would need to take, cold weather etc etc.

have a look at www.bebebel.co.uk . We've had guests use them in the past, you order all your baby stuff, i.e. nappies, milk etc, with them and they deliver them to your hotel / chalet before you arrive. Most places that welcome families will (or at least should have) have cots, highchairs, car seats and all that sort of stuff. We've even got changing mats, spare bottles, swimming nappies in stock. So if you choose the right place you can get away without having to be too laden down.

With regards to bringing grandparents to babysit, always a good idea Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy