Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fernie

Poster: A snowHead
Hello Out There,

My first post on Snowheads so I would like some information about Fernie.

From the piste map it looks like a fantastic learner resort with green and blue runs from the top of the mountain down.
Me and my girlfriend are looking to go there in Feb 09 for 14 days and we are both learner skiers.

Can anyone give me some advice on this before I book it?

It does look amazing but we went to Sauze D'Oulx in Italy this year and it was not a good experience so looking for some helpful improvements to our holiday.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm...

The greens and blues "from the top down" tend to be winding cat tracks as the easy way down rather steep bowls, and the lift system isn't that efficient, especially for lapping the lower, milder pitched slopes.

It's a great place, and I love it, but I probably wouldn't recommend it to people that aren't that advanced. Good call on 14 days though, maybe look at Banff for a good alternate?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh. and my mate went to Sauze D'Oulx with his family a few years ago before he started doing seasons and said it was godawful. I have no experience of the place before I get torn apart by the people who own chalets there Wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fernie = not the best place to learn to ski but is amazing if you are intermmidiate upwards the bowls are vast and lovely and uncrowded. their website says it all, steep and deep. if you went as a beginner you wouldnt see hardly any of the mountain which is a waste as daveC says most of the greens are just cat tracks which your instructors wouldnt take you on anyway, my advice go in 2-3yrs when you can start to get to grips with the mountain.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dontlikeheights,

If you Dontlikeheights, then Fernie isn't probably the best place to go. The best parts of Fernie are up in the bowls, but as the others have pointed out, these are much better suited to the advanced skier.

HOWEVER, Canadian instruction is excellent, and by taking lessons in Canada you're sure to improve a lot, so in your position I'd consider Banff for a 14-day stay: a large variety of easier slopes across the 3 ski areas, and a nicely progressive series of more demanding areas to graduate to as you get better.

As sabraham recommends, maybe think about Fernie and its (sometimes) legendary powder in subsequent years.

PS Welcome to snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Acacia wrote:

HOWEVER, Canadian instruction is excellent, and by taking lessons in Canada you're sure to improve a lot, so in your position I'd consider Banff for a 14-day stay: a large variety of easier slopes across the 3 ski areas, and a nicely progressive series of more demanding areas to graduate to as you get better.

And if you do decide on Fernie, I'd definitely request a certain David C at the ski school to sample the awesome instructing on offer Very Happy

(seriously, the CSIA style is excellent, even if you do to to Banff)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DaveC wrote:

And if you do decide on Fernie, I'd definitely request a certain David C at the ski school to sample the awesome instructing on offer Very Happy

SPAM!! Will you also be pimping wdf shizzle to your punters too?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hey, I told them I think it's a bad choice first... but will have to ask Kiwi1 if there's a commision system with WDF first Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd agree with DaveC - Fernie is an excellent choice for an intermediate skier looking to improve quickly, but not for beginners. I'd consider another resort if you;re only learners. THe Banff area has some greast skiing, but the drawback is the travelling: all 3 ski areas require a bus trip (or drive). You may be better to look at a resort with accomodation closer to the slopes such as whistler or one of the interior resorts like Sun peaks. If you;re going all that way then you;re doing the right thing by doing a full fortnight; however I might just throw a spanner in the works and ask if you should not consider going somewhere smaller while you're still learning, as you won;t get the full value of a huge resort (with attendant costly liftpass) if you;re sticking to the beginner and early internediate runs....

DaveC, enjoy Fernie - are you out there permanently now? will have to look you up if we ever go back, but then there are *soooo* many resorts that we haven;t been to yet.....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What they said...best snow I've ever skied but not for beginners, those who prefer groomers or tree-haters snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the advice.

As a new member is that a free weeks ski instruction being offered by Dave C?
Thank you and the offer is kindly accepted.

I understand the help that is being offered and I made my judgement by the piste map.

Does anyone have some resort names in Canada where it is ideal to learn?
Am set on going to Canada for a fortnight so it would be appreciated.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nbt - it's not a permanent move yet, we'll see though... I didn't think I'd go back once, nevermind repeatedly! Utah and SLC calls next season if the USD ever perks up...

Dontlikeheights wrote:

As a new member is that a free weeks ski instruction being offered by Dave C?
Thank you and the offer is kindly accepted.

I can't do free instruction, but I can do free demos of the wonderful White Dot Freeride skis!

I guess with 14 days skiing you'll come on a lot actually, since you've got a lot of time to get into the swing of things. Have you considered something like a week in Kimberly and a week in Fernie? No idea if TO's do that kind of thing like...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The only offer I ave seen like that is for Whistler and Banff.

Will do some searching around but at 800ukp pp I looked like a bargain for 14days in Feb.

What is the best learner resort in Canada?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dontlikeheights, I have a tendency to favour Banff over anywhere else on the planet but it would suit your needs-it also has a shorter transfer than most other Canadian resorts-not that it matters due to the fact you will be there for 2 weeks.

Apres is fantastic and there are plenty of off hill activities!

There are 3 different resorts each with something good about them. My favourite being Lake Louise for the terrain, 2nd being Norquay and final (exc the Dive and the Wild West) being Sunshine.

WHen are you planning to go?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We are going 14th Feb 09.

As I said above were are both learners and want somewhere we can get plenty of skiing in on green and blue runs and build ourselves up.
And then take it as we find it.

I have looked at Banff but the transfers seemed like a lot of additional travelling around but please correct me if I am wrong.
latest report
DaveC wrote:
nbt - it's not a permanent move yet, we'll see though... I didn't think I'd go back once, nevermind repeatedly! Utah and SLC calls next season if the USD ever perks up...

We're off there for this season's jolly, I'll tell you how good it is when we get back Smile
latest report
Resorts to check out

Whistler: you will be *fine* here. there is loads of terrain for all levels. It's not cheap though
Banff: the transfer from Clagary is not too long, but you do have to schlep out to the actual skiing each day which can get tiring if you;re already knackered from learning to ski

Worth checking out the okanagan Resorts: sun peaks and big white and another one or two that I forget. smaller resorts, some ski-in ski-out, quite close so feasible to do a day's skiing then transfer in the evening. Having said that, I remember when I was a leaner I often had a day or at least half a day off even in a one week trip, so a day off in the middle of a two week trip might be a a good thing! start your fitness work now (that will be another thread though!)

I can recommend Frontier ski, we used them for our trip to fernie and they made everything very easy for us, arranging the various accomodation and the transfers with very little hassle, and with local contacts in case of problems: I have no connection with them other than as a satisfied customer. http://www.frontier-ski.co.uk/

Panorama is ok, but the transfer from calgary is quite long and the resort is about half an hour from the nearest town. You;d go craxy being there for two weeks. Kicking horse is very good for good skiiers, evern worse than Fernie for beginners
ski holidays
Dontlikeheights, £800 for a fortnight is a good deal especially around half term. While I agree that Fernie isn't the best flattering blue-green resort there are a number of reasonably wide runs on the shallow bottom of the hill for you to explore. Elk and the other beginner chair are where you'd head after a couple of days on the bunny slope and once you get the confidence up the easier runs down lizzard bowl and off timber should be achievable. I'd say Big White or Sun Peaks would probably be better places for never evers but I suspect the deals just aren't as good there.
snow report
Dontlikeheights, You could hit Kimberley for the first week, it's more of an intermediates resort, and then move over to Fernie for the second week after you have had some instruction and time to get some ski legs. Both are owned by RCR so you should be able to still score deals.
snow conditions
Hello

We are planning a trip to Fernie for family weekend in Feb (we live in Calgary and have done for a year). We are strong intermediates but we come with our little kiddies. Anyone stayed at Stanford Chalets- the one bed ones? Fernie seems pretty expensive compared with elsewhere.

If I were you I would do a two centre thing, as someone suggested 1 week at Kimberley then a week at Fernie. I would recommend this option over the albertan options that some people mention- mainly due to ease of access and the cold may put beginners off.

We have managed to ski quite a lot of places near us with our kids, and they really enjoyed Kicking Horse- despite what other people had said!

Gryphea
snow report
Thank you all for the information.
It has been of great value.

Still am stuck on the thought of Fernie but will wait and see.
Too many resorts to choose from which offer so much for every one.

I just want to make sure that my OH enjoys herself this time.
This is the most important factor.
snow report
gryphea, Stanford is in no man's land but as you'll have a car its no big deal- there are on site facilities I think like a pool etc. Clearly your kids rip if they liked KH so will have lots of fun at Fernie.
snow conditions
Dontlikeheights, Fernie although not ideal for beginners, the lower slopes are wide and gentle. Instruction is top quality, our very own DaveC is there. Empty slopes, friendly, good food, beer and I'll be there at the same time. Toofy Grin
snow report
Spyderman wrote:
Dontlikeheights, Empty slopes, friendly, good food, beer and I'll be there at the same time. Toofy Grin

So Banff or France it is then wink
snow conditions
fatbob,

Thanks. The water slides are a clear attraction. My kids do rip- Learnt at the Lions castleford which set them up for a fab season. Sadly I predict my 6 yr old son will be out skiing me by the end of the season.

Gryphea
snow conditions
Dontlikeheights, Fernie is great - but not for you. You need somewhere with a more gentle open hill, rather than the multiple valleys of Fernie, and its more relaxed slope-grooming approach. When a ski instructor from Fernie says go elsewhere you really need to listen to them!

You can stay in Lake louise itself which is very very quiet at night, but a 5 minute bus from the slopes.
ski holidays
stoatsbrother wrote:
Dontlikeheights, Fernie is great - but not for you. You need somewhere with a more gentle open hill, rather than the multiple valleys of Fernie, and its more relaxed slope-grooming approach. When a ski instructor from Fernie says go elsewhere you really need to listen to them!

You can stay in Lake louise itself which is very very quiet at night, but a 5 minute bus from the slopes.
Thank you for the advice.
I am listening to all the advice people are posting on here.
I just stated that I am keen on Fernie but nothing has been finalised.

I am looking at Lake Louise now and to be fair it does look like a great.

Another question then regarding the lift passes for Lake Louise.
Is it better to buy it through the travel company I plan to book with or in the resort when I get there?
The travel company says it is 600ukp each for a lift pass to cover the two weeks.
ski holidays
Dontlikeheights, check out the price on the Lake Louise website in Can $, remember to add the tax, then work it out at the exchasnger ate (currently arounf 1.96 I think.) Last year I bought through the tour operator as their prife was set using a very good rate, something like 2.35 (they do it a year in advance). this year is different though, the can dollar has been a lower rate for over a year. also need to check whether the lift pass the TO offers is for lake louise and norquay, if you are there for two weeks you will want to go to sunshine, I'm sure.

which TO are you using?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dontlikeheights, Have a look at Kimberly do one week there and then go on to Bannf. We did that a few years ago and the people in the group that had one weeks skiing under there belt loved it.
ski holidays
stoatsbrother wrote:
When a ski instructor from Fernie says go elsewhere you really need to listen to them!

Then again, I did my first week skiing without being on a family trip there a few years ago there as a holiday(with just a mate) - I was pretty rubbish (in fact, terrible), and loved Fernie. My cousin's coming out for the season as a total beginner this year.

I really think people should experience Fernie as like a couple of people have said, it's a great place to push your skiing and improve really fast. The week in Kimberly/week in Fernie thing loads of people have suggested now is a really good idea, imo.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy