Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing on Grass !

Poster: A snowHead
Just came across this on youtube, and wondered if this is what skiing in the future might look like when we reach meltdown!
http://uk.youtube.com/v/9bDfjqTwAxU Sad I hope not!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you'll be long dead when there's no snow on Earth.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sharon1953, one of the guys at our club used to ski a lot on grass. He's now dug out his old skis - he has about 6 pairs - and is trying to get it going again. AIUI, it's quite active in eastern Europe, but the last active club here was in Usk, and closed down a few years ago. I believe Martin Bell used to do a bit and knows all about the history. There are quite a few more clips on YouTube of regular grass skiing.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Timmaah, well I was thinking of my great, great, great, great......grandchildren!! GrahamN, I must admit, it looks fun, would help to deal with those post ski holiday blues in the summer months!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sharon1953, one of my favourite runs was on grass. Homegrown too. Smoked the number right at the top after a long climb, floated all the way down.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A great sport. Main principle to remember: NEVER let your grass skis touch together:
http://uk.youtube.com/v/il4vIhGY-O4
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Martin Bell, how do they work when it comes to stopping, because they don't have an edge?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I remember when you could hire them at Hillend.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I never ski on grass, it puts me off.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skied on grass for years in times gone by. It was always great fun.

Martin was it you or your brother that skied the dual slalom on grass at Sheffied when Nigel Smith brought you (or your brother) down

It was always a good laugh at races, far less serious.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dek wrote:
It was always a good laugh at races

Especially when Graeme McGuire was still racing.
That was indeed me with Nigel at Rother Valley, ca. 1985.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you want to ski on Grass, try Bulgaria !!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I live in Usk and friends have a converted barn that is on the opposite hill side to the old grass ski slope. The little hut is still there. Can't say I see the attraction. Now if ever have a major dump again here in south wales my friends do have a proper landrover.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kendub wrote:
If you want to ski on Grass, try Bulgaria !!!

Or meribel two seasons ago
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Or meribel two seasons ago

Some of the time. I was there at the end of March with great conditions - it even snowed most days/nights.
snow report
Quote:

Especially when Graeme McGuire was still racing.

McGuire in his massive parcel delivery van, the Beck familly, Nigel as well.
Those were good days where the word enjoyment in racing wasnt banned.

We left after one of the first runs to go to the pub so the race was postponed until every one was back and ready to start again. (British Championships Shocked )

I still have a couple of old pairs of Rolkas in the loft, all this nostalga tempts me to dust them off. Maybe a Snowheads no snow meeting - remember grass skis were the original carving ski - no side slip there.

Quote:

one of the guys at our club used to ski a lot on grass. He's now dug out his old skis - he has about 6 pairs - and is trying to get it going again

Lets do it GrahamN - NSB (not season bash)- mid August Rother Valley Country Park

Anyone have any old photos?
snow report
David Murdoch, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Dek wrote:
Anyone have any old photos?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1316099&id=757486788&l=d607b
World Champs, Japan
ski holidays
Will see if I can dig out some old photos when I get home next time.
snow report
I know there are still european grass ski championships because PGs daughter was age group champion not that long ago. I think she won the group above too. Very Happy PG used to drive all over (Czech republic etc.) to take her to the races.
ski holidays
Does grass skiing need relatively the same technique as snow skiing?
snow conditions
I’ve often wondered where grass ski-ing ‘went’. With more of UK covered with grass than snow it seemed a good idea. In the late 70s/80s (?) there was a grass slope at Limefitt Park (Lake District).
There was a grass slope in Chamonix (1989 I think) in the same area where the summer luge was situated, near to the Mer de Glace Station.
Yes, it uses the same techniques as snow ski-ng; I found that I was able to ski scruffy parallel turns within minutes of getting on the things.
snow conditions
I did my first ever grass skiing yesterday. It seems harder and more tiresome for me than skiing in the snow, but it seems to be an excellent way to improve your skills before the season. I do not think that I post pictures since I spent more time on the ground than on the skis. Very Happy
ski holidays
Martin Bell,
I have put some old photos on my facebook and sent a link to access, few with Nigel S & Lesley B looking about 14
snow report
I do it all the time. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER,
Some employers are far too keen to insist we dont these days - oh the good old days when we didnt have to worry.....
latest report
Its big in iran and I don't see why we don't have it here as we have plenty of grassy hills. There does seem to be a problem with stopping as you only appear to be able to carve on grass skis, not having ever tried. I want to see some freestyle on grass skis. Twisted Evil
snow report
rambotion,
There used to be a lot grass skiing in UK, also racing.

There were British Grand Prix races in Hillend Edinburgh, Usk Wales, Brighton & Petersfield England. There was also a European Championships held at Petersfield.

Skiing also used to happen near you at Sheffield in Rother Valley Country Park

Free style on grass has potential for being verypainfull though. Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, didn't you tell us there had been some off-piste grass skiing at Gloucester?? Wink
ski holidays
Just read the discussion about grass sking in the 80's - good fun but sold my skis quite a few years ago! Would love to have another go - does anyone know if there are any sites or clubs operating now?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy