Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap ski holiday - best companies etc to use

Poster: A snowHead
I am trying my hardest to find a reasonably cheap ski deal. Would like to get everything all in for no more than £850.00 for two people (adults) to include lift passes, food, travel and accomodation. Can anyone suggest anything and where is the best place to look? Since Monday the prices seem to be going up!!!

Places I don't really want to go are Bulgaria or Andorra.

Thanks

Jo
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shocked I'll be watching this one with interest!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Joey, £425 each, literally 'all in', is a big ask, if that's what you mean.

Last minute deals might be your only bet unless you get very lucky with a DIY trip to a fairly off-radar resort at an off-peak time of the season.

Or do you mean £850 each?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What time of year and what's your skiing ability? You might get a last minte deal in a catered chalet with someone like Crystal, but could well be in a resort with limited skiing. You'd be really hard-pushed to get lift pass as well for that price! Do you have your own skis/boots?

You're probably too late now to get a cheap flight & then do DIY
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have you looked at Bulgaria or Ando.......Oh Embarassed
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Was looking at getting a cheap ski deal in Jan 09 and yes around 850 quid for the both of us.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Special offers from Crystal http://www.crystalski.co.uk/specialoffers/specialoffers.html

For example, looks like you can get an apartment in Tignes for about £200 mid-December incl flight/transfer. Beware when booking apts then you don't get hit with under-occupancy charges. But you will have lift pass on top and food
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Or full board in Hotel Leifer, St Wolfgang in Austria for under £300 mid-Jan with Crystal
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Joey, i am going on a couple of cheapies this year and it seems to me that you should at least stretch budget to £1,000 to be realistic. Problem is that lift passes seem to have gone up a lot over recent years as everything is linked and book bits seperately.

look at small resorts and book early as you often get ski pass included. try Skitrex. i'm goin to La joue de loup for about £180 pp that inclused SC accom, lift passes for week and ski hire (have own boots) at discounted rates flights £70 rtn.

You have to add food to that and transfer. you can get a coach if flight times for about 30 euros rtn each or train and bus or hire a car for £180.

All in, providing that you dont want wild apres everynight, i think £500 will give you a nice week in the snow. Trick is accom and lift passes built in.

Good luck, keep us informed.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Libertine wrote:
try Skitrex.

Snowtrex?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lets try L2A for a week(ish) - Two flights to Grenoble - £200, stay in Lutins Hotel in a shared room £240, ski passes/hire for two £400 ?, which leaves £10 for transfers and food Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rayscoops, hardly a helpful post !

L2A is not a small resort and your search too all but 30 seconds. i'm sure i could find cheaper at l2a than that anyway, but as i'm not going, Joey, will have to do the leg work and he knows what he wants and what his expectations are. Personally, the accomodation is not a priority for me.

People always rely on the easy option and do not dig about enough and thats why they pay too much and moan when they hear about others in the same accomodation getting it for half the price!!! I think a grand is enough for a quietish week on the slopes. The snow doesnt fall depending on how much you have paid !! Ultimately, the snow IS the thing you go for and is completely free, you just need to be savvy in accessing it !!

paulio, sorry, meant snowtrex, they were doing a sale last week, not sure what they have up now.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
peakseason should be along in a moment...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bertie bassett, Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We have managed to get such deals in the past couple of years but only by booking last minute - anything from two weeks to actually the day before! Have been with Skitopia last minute and they offer all-in deals. Also been with Ski Miquel and Total. By booking late you can watch the webcams for snow conditions in resort. We have been to Lech in Austria, Alpe d'Huez, Serre Chevalier and Reberty in the last couple of years for just under £500 each all-in.
snow report
I think timing wise you are too late to get a cheap DIY flight + accom deal, and too early to get the TO discounted deals. As there are only two of you, if you can be flexible about when/where, I would leave it now until about 6 weeks out from departure date, when the deep discounting (e.g.) usually starts.

I am expecting it is going to be a funny year for deals though. I think a lot of people will be finding TO deals stack up well if they haven't been able to get good flight fares this year, which might mean there are more people after the packages, so fewer left to be discounted. Having said that, I know the brochure prices increased quite significantly too (to cover their increased costs and currency fluctuations etc.), so people who are reluctant about spending any money at all might have been put off. So difficult to say how it will pan out really! I would hang on if I were you and hold out for a late deal. I think that's the only way you are going to get £425 per person all in. Estimating about £150 for liftpass, you are needing a package for around £275 which is not unprecendented, but not very common.

Also depends if you need to rent gear or not, this might push it over the edge!

D
snow conditions
Libertine, why is that not helpful? there was no request for a small resort? L2A is about as cheap a resort to get to with the flights and bus transfer, Les Lutins is as inexpensive a hotel you can get and is 2 minutes from the main lifts and in the center of town. I would much refer to be in a big resort like L2A, right next to the lifts, than some small one horse resort at a low altitude that means I spend an hour a day on a smelly bus to get to the slopes Very Happy

Alternatively I would head to Austria andn arrange something similar, staying at the B&B of one of the snowheads Very Happy
snow report
This? http://www.mmv-holidays.co.uk/mer-montagne-vacances.php

Hotels are full board, but price doesn't include flights.
ski holidays
If you do find something, please let us know, links etc.
snow conditions
cathy wrote:
Or full board in Hotel Leifer, St Wolfgang in Austria for under £300 mid-Jan with Crystal

St Wolfgang is a lovely place but its 30 minutes to Postalm, all blue runs and an hour to Gosau all red runs. We got a deal a couple of years back to the Hotel Zimmerbrau for £199 from Newcastle. Great skiing, great hotel, great company I would do it all again at the price no problem whatsoever !
ski holidays
Also I would go back to flangsax place.........but we are skint next year Mad

http://www.austrian-adventures.com/
latest report
Joey, second or third week in January is the best time for last-minute catered chalet deals, but you need to wait 'til everyone's back to work after New Year for the cheapest price. Just 2 of you, you should find something good in a well-known resort, but if the snow is iffy anywhere, that will be the cheapest. Not sure how the credit crunch/TOs cutting capacity/airline failures will play out this year, my guess is there'll still be bargains in Jan.

Check out this thread for the details of what I have experienced over the last 9 years.

Some more advice on this thread too. Half brochure price or less is a good deal.
snow conditions
bookmark Cool
latest report
oohhhh... it's close Smokin Joe, but I don't think there is a cigar involved....

BnB accommodation from €200pp for a week + gear hire @ €100 per week + ski amade pass @ €189.... = €489 £380ish + flights=£whoknows...

Still good value though - even if I do say so myself!
snow report
Inghams were doing Poiana Brasov in Romania for £463................

Flights, transfers, equipment, ski/board (6 x 4hrs, 3 x 2hrs) school, pass, half board.

And the kicker (drum roll please)....................

Free bar in the hotel after 4.30 pm till midnight. Hic.

Limited area, but pretty unbeatable for a beginners brochure deal.

And if things aren't going that well you can always take a day out to visit Dracula's castle, just down the way.

Just a thought.....................
snow report
Quote:

Places I don't really want to go are Bulgaria or Andorra

What's wrong with Andorra (when there's snows) Puzzled
snow report
There are some excellent deals on C4 teletext service at the moment. Was looking last night and even Christmas week has some HB deals at around £350-£500. Even saw one SC deal in Austria in mid Jan for £99 inc F & T!!!! Probably a loss leader I suspect rolling eyes
snow report
Chasseur wrote:
There are some excellent deals on C4 teletext service at the moment. Was looking last night and even Christmas week has some HB deals at around £350-£500. Even saw one SC deal in Austria in mid Jan for £99 inc F & T!!!! Probably a loss leader I suspect rolling eyes

Whenver I have contacted these types of deals on Teletext (admittedly, not for a while....) they had JUST sold the last places at that price but did have....and went on to describe something that came out at about twice the cost, somewhere other than where I'd enquired about in the first place
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I went on the same holiday to PB last year thatBCjohnny recommends. Very good value...long transfer...very limited ski area, but the hotels/food/school were all very good. The quality of the hire equipment was very poor...take your own boots if nothing else!
This year I've booked with Snowtrex at Val Cenis - also mentioned above - incredible value, and high enough in mid jan to be fairly snowsure (I hope!)
We're driving, and staying SC, but you could get cheap flights to Geneva or Grenoble and either catch the train (regular bus service from Modane to the resort) or hire a car. Half board was an option that I didn't bother to cost in, but you might be able to make it within your budget.
latest report
I've had half board package in a decent 3* in Tignes for £189 off peak, but is was literally book on Friday, fly on Saturday. I don't really think you can plan to have an all in for £425, you just have to see what's available. The laws of supply & demand apply
snow report
Try Total Ski - here's the link to their special offers http://www.skitotal.com/Specials.aspx. My son just booked with Ski World for a room for 3 for £948.60 for all 3 of them fully catered, flights and transfers the week before Christmas in Courchevel 1850. Otherwise, sit tight and wait for the next crop of deals. As already mentioned that January week when schools go back is usually very cheap compared to the rest of the season. Good luck!
ski holidays
In the end I booked a hol to Serre Chevalier. Am going on the 10th Jan 09 and have booked through the serre chevalier reservations website. Have booked an apartment for two of us. The cost of this including lift passes as they had a deal on was £360.00. Have already booked flights with BA for £200 for the two of us so we reckon it will cost no more than £950 and we get 8 days skiing rather than 6 days.
snow conditions
In regards to waiting last minute for chalet deals in January, what are the chances of finding a chalet with space for 7 people?

Ive never booked last minute for more than 2 people so not sure if I will be able to find anything, and so wandering if I would be better biting the bullet and booking now?
snow conditions
Jbo, how much of a disaster would it be if your group of 7 was split into two or three different properties in the same resort? If it would be a real problem I'd bite the bullet now. Getting a last-minute booking for 7 people, especially if you have preferences for which you resort you end up in, sounds like it might be quite a challenge.
snow report
Rob, we wouldn't go if we were seperated hence the question really. Im of the same opinion that it will be difficult/unlikely to find something, but interested to hear peoples thoughts on it.
latest report
Jbo, try www.chaletsdirect.com of you all want to be together.
snow report
I'd agree that finding last-minute for 7 people in one place will be a bit of a hard task - the bigger the group, the harder it gets. 2 is fine, 4 is just about ok, 6 is hard etc etc.
latest report
It blows my mind people in the UK haven't found htis company yet...I'm originally from the States and have been set up by them for a couple of years now. I had one of the members ask if I worked for them because I've provided others with links, but I kind of thought thats what these forums were all about, sharing info, getting advice, etc. Check them out www.action-outdoors.co.uk Everything is included...Everyone keep talking about these great "all-inclusive" deals except they dont include lift tix, food or instruction. These folks put it all together and I dont think they have anything that costs more than 750 GBP (dont quote me but thats pretty much the top of the spectrum as far as cost). Fact is, people from the States can spend a week in the Alps for less than going to places like Aspen or Vail for the same amount of time.
snow report
peakseason, the multi share room is a bit off putting - too old for dorm sharing !, but cheap for Joey, maybe
snow conditions
peakseason, coach travel and shared bunk rooms? 750GBP?

For the same sort of money you can fly, hire a car, and have a nice private self catered apartment!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy