Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lake District Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Boxing Day.
Caught out again by surprisingly good conditions

The snow has drifted well against the fences with hardly any rocks. Lovely dry cold packed powder that took an edge beautifully and coped well with the 25 skiers and boarders or so today. Excellent visibility was a bonus.

Sadly it looks to be going milder tomorrow so we’ll have to see how much if any cover is retained before the next cold snap.

I've posted some pics here:

http://forums.winterhighland.com/read.php?f=9&i=256&t=256
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never mind where the skilift is - the ski-ing looks pretty good on the other side too. Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sincredible. But true Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Am gutted!

I just rang the raise snowline out of curiousity because I know they've been skiing up in Scotland, and heard Bernard say that they had a good day's skiing!!!

I'm down south with the family, so couldn't have made it anyway but I'm glad the club managed to get a good day in!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some pictures from todays adventures.
A very wintry day indeed !

http://clipper.unitedhosting.co.uk/~winterhighland.info/forums/read.php?2,51666

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 29-12-04 19:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PeterS, link's not working. I can get onto winterhighland OK but can't find that particular post. Thanks anyway.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, I've been caught out by a server upgrade at Winterhighland. I'll have to work out how to upload my pics to the new site.

Peter S
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OK,

The link should now work - try this:

http://clipper.unitedhosting.co.uk/~winterhighland.info/forums/read.php?2,51666
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You can ski in the lake district!! never knew that.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wintry outlook for the Fells in the early New Year !

http://www.mwis.org.uk/mountain/LD.PDF
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wintry, yes. Fun, not so sure. Your report tells of Blizzrds and Whiteout. Not my favourite weather.
Will you give it a try, or will you stay indoors with the Whisky and nuts?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You learn something new every day Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jonpim wrote:

Will you give it a try, or will you stay indoors with the Whisky and nuts?

If this forecast comes off then I'll be up with the nutters, assuming I can get a 'domestic day pass'. snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OK. Have fun. And tell us all about it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Raise was operational on Wednesday with 3 runs complete and a surface of compacted snow.
It didn't run on Thursday in an attempt to save the base during the mild interlude.

An inspection is taking place today regarding the possibility of skiing this weekend.

I suspect it'll be touch and go whether enough snow fell last night to replace that lost on Thursday.

Will keep you posted if we get any action tommorrow.
snow report
I can't believe I didn't know there was skiing in the Lakes. I'm up there at every opportunity and have been since I was 6 months old! Where is Raise?? In your photo it looks as if there's a lift? I feel as if I've suddenly entered another universe! Quick, quick, tell me where and I'll be there. I was there over the weekend. It snowed overnight on Monday and into Tuesday and driving back I kept think I could ski down some slopes if only I could be bothered to walk up!
latest report
Jane, and its not just Raise which is on/near Helvellyn, details here:
http://www.ldscsnowski.co.uk/

If you check this site:
http://www.snowlion.freeuk.com/

another six sites in England are mentioned. I'm afraid I've never skiied any of them as I didn't know they existed until after I had moved to Scotland Crying or Very sad .
snow conditions
Wow - this is amazing. There looks to be lots of snow of some of those sites. I wish I'd known last weekend! I wonder how often there is skiable snow on any of the slopes. Are there any members out there who would know?
snow conditions
Bit narrow at Raise this weekend, but a good skiing surface nonetheless.

Latest pics;
http://www.winterhighland.info/forums/read.php?2,51666
snow report
PeterS, thanks for the link. It looks good. We'll have to come and check it out next time we get a chance. But I doubt there is any point in becoming members as we live in Devon. Still, if climate change does it stuff sooner rather than later, and the Gulf Stream packs up, we might even have skiing here! There a silver lining in every cloud .........
snow report
Hi Jane,

Fraid if you want to ski there you will probably have to join.
The club reluctantly had to do away with day membership because of requirements from its insurers.

However annual membership is only £23 and a day ticket £5 thereafter. A season ticket is only £17.

Therefore to become a member and buy a season ticket is cheaper than several hours at an indoor ski slope Laughing

To get the full benefit it would be better to live within an hour and half of the car park...and be into hill walking Sad

I'm now on day 5 at Raise so my marginal skiing cost is now down to £3.40 a day.
On a good day 10,000 feet of vertical is quite possible at Raise.
That means that the cost of my next days skiing could be as low as £1 for every 2941 feet of vertical Shocked

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 25-01-05 14:14; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Peter S, yes, thanks for the continued reports.

I am into hill walking, but I'm about 2 hours away - and that's on a clear run with no traffic.

I do get to the lakes quite a bit, so next time I'll have to pop the skis in just in case. snowHead
snow conditions
Has there been any skiing there during the past 7 days. I was hoping there'd be some snow for this weekend, but it's not very likely.

Anyway, I live in hope and there's always next weekend!

Would love to see anymore photos of English skiing!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy