Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Give me one thing to work on...

Poster: A snowHead
So, I'm off to Wengen in a week, and I'm looking for some help.
It will be my first trip of the season.
In total this season I will probably get 12 days skiing in. I'm an intermediate skier who has no loyalty to one teaching method over another, whether they be European methods, or American.

So, what I'm asking for is one exercise/drill/tip that I should take with me to work on.

Your answer MUST be in the positive. i.e. if it's primary focus is "DO NOT", it will be ignored, cause I want to know what to DO!

The final twist in this is that I am going to post the same question in 3 forums, here, RealSkiers and EpicSki. It's not a competition, it is to garner the widest amount of suggestions. I'm hoping at the end of this to have a few ideas from each site which I can then work on, and I'll report back my findings to everyone.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1000 steps, to get the feeling of balance between your two feet and the sense of "go there". 'Course, I'm sure you've done it dozens of times!

BTW, make sure you're stepping into the direction of the turn.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wear The Fox Hat, Without any idea how you ski, or how you've been taught it's very difficult to offer serious advice. However I suggest that you DO make sure that you're standing of the front part of your feet all the time, (better for balance and being dynamic) and that your bot stays high and your hips forward. Cool
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Here's a photo of me on my fat skis, but on piste, last year in Jackson Hole...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ssh,

Could you elaborate on this drill please.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon, certainly...

One of the more challenging skills of high-level skiing is independent leg action. The 1000 Steps drill helps you see where you have weaknesses in this and also helps you hone some of those very same skills.

On gentle, groomed terrain, link a series of long-radius turns, controlling speed with turn shape. As you begin a turn, begin to step from foot to foot while still shaping the turn. Do this while linking turns together. Step from one foot to the other, making sure that you keep each ski on the proper edge (gently!): inside ski on its outside edge, outside ski on its inside edge. In transition, allow the skis to flatten as you continue to step, then move into the next turn.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SSH. This may sound very silly to you, But why do they call it a 1000 steps ?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mick newby, I think it's because you start the exercise maybe only making two or three steps through a turn, and then you just make more and more, and, because the name comes from America it has to be BIG snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
WTFH, Lets not fall out with the yanks they might bomb us Smile Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ssh,

Thanks for that. Do you actually lift each ski of the snow or just remove the 'weighting'? I presume that your still using the edges to turn the skis & not cheating by stepping the turn or by foot steering?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon, no "cheating", certainly. Start by lifting them completely. Then, as you drill more, try it just lightening them, but still having the feeling of stepping. The point is to keep your feet moving, but to do so with very specific intention.

Wear The Fox Hat, yeah, you think you're funny, Brit-boy. Twisted Evil The idea is, indeed, that you try to do a thousand steps within each turn. Don't count, though! NehNeh Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mick newby, who's got time? There's skiing to be done! Wink Very Happy Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ssh,

Thanks. I'll be trying it this Thurs at the snowdome. Do you offer a money back guarantee on your coaching? Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon, absolutely! I promise it's worth every penny! snowHead Laughing Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mick newby, BTW, since I'll be see WTFH in Montana, he has other reasons to be careful...! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
This all sounds very familiar. If the terrain demands it I may pick the inside ski up but if it is an easy cruise I will be on both skis
The key diiference in these debates seems to be unweigh or don't unweigh. And you may not have to with modern skis so much but I still do. But sooner or later you will be in a situation where those skis have to come round within the natural turning circle of the ski, that is where you will still need a pedal or jump turn. That has always been the case but is may be that newer skis need less input.

Wear The Fox Hat,

Looking soley at that picture, i would think a forward flex in the knee would be required. This will enable you to put more weight on the ski and turn quicker. Push/drive the shin into the boot and both hands forwards avoiding the Brit armchair pose.

This will produce a more dynamic stance. Watch racers carve and adopt their stance with skis flat on the snow. The only lift off the snow should be a terrain lift.
I would imagine those skis promote GS type turns.

Thats my take on this but I have an old school technique and until I came onto this MB, was largely unaware of the two distinct camps.
snow report
JT,

Re your comment to WTFH suggesting more 'forward flex in the knee'.

I'm recently back from my second Warren Smith course and Warren's advice is this:

Use ankle flex not knee flex. If you have your thigh 'high' (ie more upright) & your hips/backside forward (hips over balls of feet) this allows you to flex/crunch your boots & centres your weight over the balls of your feet - as per Easiski's advice above. Yes your knee does bend/flex but only as a consequence of the ankle flex/balance/terrain etc, not as a deliberate or initiating movement.

This stance/technique allows both skis to be kept on the snow (no lifting) with nearer equal pressure & allows you to thigh steer the inner ski correctly.

The braquage exercise is perhaps the best test of ones ability to put all of this in to practice.

Another test is to be able to stand on a level groomed slope, skis almost together, & just simply & easily push yourself around 360 degrees with your poles, pivoting on the balls of your feet. This is great one for impressing your buddies when standing around having a chat etc.
latest report
spyderjon wrote:
Another test is to be able to stand on a level groomed slope, skis almost together, & just simply & easily push yourself around 360 degrees with your poles, pivoting on the balls of your feet. This is great one for impressing your buddies when standing around having a chat etc.

Didn't I show you that at Castleford once? Very Happy
snow report
Yes, but it may depend how dynamic you are going to ski something. You can stand tall and flex from the ankle if you are cruising but I would use the knees more for a more aggressive turn. In the picture WTFH appears to travelling at speed and a more forward flex would tighten up the turn if required. It would not matter to me if I flex the angle or knee...not sure I know what I do...as long as I maintained the stance over the skis!
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat,

Actually, I think you did - sorry but I couldn't remember who to give the credit to. I'm obviously not that easily impressed Smile

Problem was that my ability wasn't up to it then. Perhaps if you'd have charged a few hundred quid for the advice I might have taken more notice.

Have a good 'un in Wengen. BTW, I'm still planning on doing Epic in Jan 06.
snow conditions
ssh wrote:
mick newby, BTW, since I'll be see WTFH in Montana, he has other reasons to be careful...! Twisted Evil
When you off to Montana SSH ? WTFH will have to lose that brit armchair pose, I like that quote from jt , is that how you spot us brits, ill have to work on mine as well. Laughing
ski holidays
mick newby, we're there 22nd January for a week at the EpicSki Academy. snowHead
ski holidays
mick newby,

LOL!

I wasn't implying that WTFH had an armchair pose but it is well known they we can ski like that.
The term used to apply to new chalet girls, thats how they skied with their bums stuck out like that.
And the picture doesn't imply that....
And all the instructors would laugh and be able to spot us from miles off, that and gorilla turns....which means
forcing the skis around with an overt shoulder movement.

These terms used to typify Brits skiing but I don't think it does now. We are too keen to improve.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat,
Does it sound facile to say that the single thing you should most concentrate on is to enjoy yourself? If you are not taking lessons and are trying to concentrate on one technical thing from a ski forum you may be a) Doing it wrong b) It's innapropriate for you or c) It worsens another fault.
If you have a smile on your face it will have at least been a great holiday Toofy Grin
Just my 2 cents worth.

T Bar
snow conditions
spyderjon,

Spot on there. Nothing more than my opinion, but I believe that beginners should never hear the word 'knee' mentioned. When people hear 'benzee knees' that is all they do. Hence they end up in the back seat with no leverage over the ski. Ankle, ankle, ankle. Flex the ankles and the knees naturally flex in proportion. Hence the weight is kept where in should be, directly over the middle of the ski and you can allow the ski the carve its natural shape or pivot the ski however much you want.

Did I mention 'ankle'?
snow conditions
JT wrote:
mick newby,

LOL!

I wasn't implying that WTFH had an armchair pose but it is well known they we can ski like that.
The term used to apply to new chalet girls, thats how they skied with their bums stuck out like that.
And the picture doesn't imply that....
And all the instructors would laugh and be able to spot us from miles off, that and gorilla turns....which means
forcing the skis around with an overt shoulder movement.

These terms used to typify Brits skiing but I don't think it does now. We are too keen to improve.
I think it is safe to say that im an armchair gorilla.......and bloody proud of it Laughing
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
mick newby, we're there 22nd January for a week at the EpicSki Academy. snowHead
And is it very Epic, or is it semi epic with a few beer's
snow conditions
4thefunofit,

Poor WHTF, only came on for a pointer and has been called an armchair skier....I apologise WTFH if that was down to me, didn't mean that...and a beginner..!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mick newby, oh, it is EPIC, at least the last two have been! Very Happy
snow conditions
JT, I've been called a lot worse!
ski holidays
I'll keep working on new ones Foxy, as I carve tight little arcs around your planks with m'board.
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat,

Where are you skiing in Montana?
Are you meeting up with SSH to do a course or clinic...?

Beware he will have you buying B5's...... which might not be a bad thing at all....
I'll try them out in La Plagne in a couple of weeks....
snow report
JT, we're going to Big Sky for the EpicSki Academy. And I'll be picking up my iXRCs while I'm there, to replace my 3Vs. Very Happy
snow conditions
JT, see the link in my sig line. The EpicSki Academy is a 4-day opportunity to learn from coaches who are among the best available anywhere. One of the fun parts of the process is that they also contribute on-line at EpicSki.com...

WTFH has been to all of the ESAs so far. This will be my first one.
ski holidays
So then you'll be carving up the boarder....not that you see many boarders carve....scrapers, more like..!!
ski holidays
JT, That! my friend is a 'handbags at at first lift' challenge Smile, not all boarders spend their time playing bulldozer.
latest report
Thats true, but can you out carve Foxy?
Seriously, can you out carve skiers?
Edge to edge would take quite a radius...!!
latest report
JT, the first person I saw carve on snow was a boarder on an alpine carving snowboard. Wow! I wanted to be able to do that! Back then, I could carve, but those pencil skis didn't let me rip the kinds of arcs that a boarder could.

Today, I can. I'm grateful, but I still have snowboarding friends who can rip a carve as well as (and even better than!) most skiers.
snow report
JT, You'd be very surprised at how fast a boarder can execute a cross-under and the gates on a boarder slalom are much closer together than the skiers. You also have to remember that boards are shorter than most skis and the carve radius(i) is anything down to 7 metres. The governing factor is the ability to control it.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, Your stance is so like mine it's uncanny. It looks like we even have the same jacket! I guess all of the above advice would be good for me too. Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy