Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

info porte du soleil PLEASE

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recomend the best resort to stay in within the porte du soleil area and any hotels
we are looking to go for as little as possible so we can get two trips in this year
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends what you define 'best' as I should think. If you are looking for high altitude made for purpose ski resort then Avoriaz will crop up -although not sure how you would get on with the 'little as possible' as I think it is usually pretty pricey. Morzine and Les Gets are nice - plenty of hotels and apartments to choose from, well linked with a huge ski area. Loads of choices for you in the Portes du Soleil as it is a big old area Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chelt881, As MrDan, says, depends on what you want, as to what is the best resort. When are you hoping to go, as this will have an affect on where you are advised and the costs you'll encounter. You mention a hotel, but do you WANT a hotel, or would you self-cater, again to keep costs down? Give us a few more clues and we can help Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stay on the Swiss side, I have never had any troubles getting around from the Swiss side, and teh resorts are easy to get to from GVA, with little traffic on the way, the train is a good bet too. Look at Morgins or Champery
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chelt881, i loved Avoriaz for it's wonderful ski in-ski out and it's car less too which is a nice touch Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I like morzine as it has more character than avoriaz...

chelt881 you need to be more specific in terms of what you want
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Les Gets is smaller than Morzine and IMV prettier. 1hr by bus from GVA.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i agree with halfhand that Les Gets is the prettiest of the bunch...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There aren't many villages as scenic as Champéry and although you can't really ski back to the town, it's a good base to explore the higher areas above Avoriaz without having to experience Avoriaz. Much quieter on the Swiss side too
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
chelt881, I'd suggest using the Snowheads search function...it does exist...

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 26-10-08 18:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Try Chatel, is less well known but right in the heart of the Portes Du Soleil. A really nice mix of a traditional village with some great bars and restaurants. We're two lifts away from Avoriaz and can get there faster than you can from Morzine. Also have direct access through to the Swiss side through the Super Chatel lift.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Avoriaz has snow when everywhere else does not in PDS. Try Hotel Dromont, and look for a deal from them at about half their normal price. Otherwise its a bit pricey.Great food and is ski out Ski in with a bit a poling!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you want to do two holidays for "as little as possible", do a DIY trip to a nice apartment in Les Gets (or one of the other resorts). Fly to Geneva (so you can get duty free spirits) and hire a car from Geneva so you can stop on the way and fill it to the brim with delicious food, cheap beer and wine and live like kings for the week. Unless you are teetotal, buying all your food, drinks, teas and coffees at hotel/bar prices is the surest way to push your holiday costs into the stratosphere. A car is useful in the PdS - lots of places easy to visit in the car, a bit of a pain with buses.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We've stayed in both Avoriaz and Morzine (twice). For us Avoriaz worked out cheaper and more convenient. Switzerland is probably cheaper but I wouldn't be happy with the poorer snow conditions.

Our way to keep the cost down was to look for french apartment owners through sites like Media Vacances, Homelidays, Abritel and Interhome. Always possible to find a bargain that way, but no good if you want to stay in a hotel.

We also stayed in a hotel in Montriond which is great for the Ardent gondola. It was very cheap and basic. It's called Les Sapins and it's right next to the beautiful frozen lake.

There are loads of nice catered chalets in Morzine but I reckon the French-owned ones are cheaper.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ski-finder wrote:
i agree with halfhand that Les Gets is the prettiest of the bunch...

Yes but the skiing is dull
snow report
zzz, compared to where ?Morzine wink
ski holidays
I also think that Les Gets is the jewel in the crown of the Portes De Soleil. We love the cruisey runs and enjoy the atmosphere in the village(which is the prettiest in the area by far). If we do wake and and feel like a bit more serious skiing we may head slightly further a field. But then again there is always that spot that we all like to keep secret.......Mont Chery.
ski holidays
garyscott20, another little secret, we're going to try this one snow permitting........

http://www.valleedaulps.com/plan_pistes_saint_jean_d_aulps_haute_savoie_portes_du_soleil-plan_des_pistes_saint_jean_d_aulps-1512-HIVER-FR-SKIER.html
ski holidays
Lou, I have been meaning to get over there for the last few seasons. It looks like a great day out if the snow is good. Thanks for the reminder though. Also just remembered I need to buy my lift passes for our planned weeks this season as the discount ends at the end of the month.
ski holidays
Lou wrote:
zzz, compared to where ?Morzine wink

Oh come on, Pleney is awesome and as for Super Morzine, hardcore or what. Toofy Grin

No, Les Gets is fine but the skiing is boring (except Mont Chery for the odd day) so if you are in Les Gets you have to travel, and by the time you've crossed Pleney, walked across Morzine, snoozed over Super Morzine and finally made it to Avoriaz it's nearly lunchtime. Have lunch, quick blast up and down the Hauts Forts and it's time to leave to do the reverse of the above.

Much better off in Morzine, and the bars and restaurants are better too. We even have a Chinese now! No more tartiflette for me!
snow report
Each to their own, but I wouldn't rank a Chinese very high up on my list of skiing must haves. zzz, You cannot seriously enjoy Chinese more than Tartiflette whilst skiing!!!!!
snow report
Lou wrote:
garyscott20, another little secret, we're going to try this one snow permitting........

http://www.valleedaulps.com/plan_pistes_saint_jean_d_aulps_haute_savoie_portes_du_soleil-plan_des_pistes_saint_jean_d_aulps-1512-HIVER-FR-SKIER.html

We were there in March 07 (the poor snow season) and although there was plenty of OK snow, on the sunny side it was slushy and very heavy - would be lovely in better conditions though! There is a nice bar/restaurant at the bottom of the Grand Terche gondola which is a good spot (nice big terrace) for an apres ski beer before heading home, and as they have now invested a lot of money in snow-making to cover the slopes to the base, I'd be hopeful of being able to ski to said bar terrace! Very Happy
snow report
Tartiflette wins hands down Very Happy
ski holidays
Tartiflette for a skiing hol definitely but might wear me down if was there for longer so would be tempted to try Chinese eventually!

Anniepen, I look forward to it Very Happy
snow conditions
Lou wrote:
Tartiflette for a skiing hol definitely but might wear me down if was there for longer so would be tempted to try Chinese eventually!
Very Happy

That says it all. I reckon that it is only possible to eat a finite amount of tartiflette in a lifetime. I've reached that limit.
snow report
But Chinese ... up a mountain ... in France? Just wrong!
ski holidays
In answer to the first question - Champery without a doubt. Pretty village, and from the bottom of the cable car you can be in the middle of Avoriaz within 30 mins. Day trip to Les Gets not a problem. Access to all of PDS villages. In 3 years there has only been one week when we couldn't ski back to just outside the village at the end of the day. More snow making each year. New chair at Les Crosets and another new chair to improve the link back from Champoussin for this year.
1.5 hours easy drive from Geneva and 2.5 hours by train from Gva airport to the cable car with one change (i.e. you have to move from one side of the platform to the other). Swiss self catering apartments are double the size of their French counterparts. If you pm me can give you more details.
ski holidays
pat51, /Champery is a really pretty village but I have to take issue with some of your post. I'm sorry but I think even M. Vuarnet would struggle to be in Avoriaz in 30 mins from the bottom of the Champery telepherique. As for a day trip to Les Gets,..... come on. And another thing.... I'm a confirmed PDS skier and I'm always up for some Ski Agricole but the ski down to Champery is rarely intact.

Despite all of this I think it offers far better access to the PDS than Les Gets. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
zzz wrote:
[b]Despite all of this I think it offers far better access to the PDS than Les Gets. Very Happy

Every other resort in the PdS does that...
snow report
totally agree.......except perhaps Abondance or La Grande Turche or maybe that little resort at the Col de Corbier.

Should we start a "I hate Les Gets" thread.

Come on you know it would be fun.
Laughing
snow conditions
Well, I might have been a bit optimistic about the 30 mins but definitely can be done inside 40 (35 on a good day) via Ripaille and Chavanette. We catch the 8.50 cable car and are at the Tour lift before 9.30. As for the run home - well, last year did it every day in 2 different weeks - 3rd week Jan and the end of March / beginning of April week no probs. Year before it was rubbish at Xmas (but wasn't everything) but covered in March. Year before that fine in March. Yes, can get to Les Gets, probably not to do it justice but can get there. Even on legs the wrong side of 50. I will admit though that it's not the place for a dancing on the tables and have yet to find anything that looks as though it might be open after 11. But then .. have that cable car to catch in the morning Very Happy
snow report
zzz wrote:
totally agree.......except perhaps Abondance or La Grande Turche or maybe that little resort at the Col de Corbier.

Should we start a "I hate Les Gets" thread.

Come on you know it would be fun.
Laughing

Too late, already done
snow report
pat51,
I think it's a lovely resort, and the back drop of the Dents du Midi makes it really special. It's not often that you can't ski down, it's just a little...........interesting sometimes. I particularly like taking friends to the restaurant on the side of the world, you know the one, take the double drags/t bar(v.quaint) by the side of the wall and ski towards the Grands Paradis.

Everybody loves it.

Cheers
ski holidays
chelt881, have you already decided on th PdS? And what sort of skiing are you looking for?
latest report
My wife and I had our first skiing experince at Grand Terche last year for around 6 weeks BUT after a crash with another skier my wifes confidence was "busted", Shocked we are looking for wide gentle slopes this year to build her confidence back up. Les Gets or Morzine ? We have a house near Grand Terche so anywhere local would be good.

Also without dropping the thread any ideas about confidence building...........red wine Very Happy
snow conditions
stephenc, Welcome to SnowHeads snowHead - sorry to hear about your wife's crash, that can really knock confidence. I'm a bit of a Les Gets-ophile, but even so, would suggest you try there first. There are nice open pistes plus the bowl, which (as long as you're not there in Feb Very Happy ) should offer her a gentle reintroduction. Good Luck
snow conditions
stephenc wrote:
My wife and I had our first skiing experince at Grand Terche last year for around 6 weeks BUT after a crash with another skier my wifes confidence was "busted", Shocked we are looking for wide gentle slopes this year to build her confidence back up. Les Gets or Morzine ? We have a house near Grand Terche so anywhere local would be good.

Also without dropping the thread any ideas about confidence building...........red wine Very Happy

I think the trick is in the timing. Don't go new year week, or from 14th Feb for a couple of weeks after that it should be better, as the slopes will be emptier

Although I was surprise by quite how busy bits of avoriaz were last year w/c 6th Jan which I would have expected to be quieter...
ski holidays
Quote:

14th Feb for a couple of weeks after that it should be better
The optimum two weeks are from 9 March, when all French ankle-biters will be back at school.
snow conditions
chelt881, Any further information on when you want to go?

There are a number of snowHead s that have a lot of knowledge on the area! Give us the details and I am sure we can help.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy