Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI - "If" you are good enough - you will pass - if not ??

Poster: A snowHead
I notice that most people who slag of BASI are those who (in the option of BASI) simply ain't good enough for the badge.

Of course this normally goes against that person own self assessment.

Or – even worst – people who know they simply are not good enough but it’s much easier to slag of BASI than take the time and spend the effort to improve..

I have read and read (and read.......ad Tedium) post after post from people who slag off BASI as they don't to be put through the treadmill.

Fine - BUT - if you are as good as you (obviously) think you are, then do a BASI course and at least this way you will get an objective assessment of your ability.

There is another alternative – why not become an instructor and get the badge from another association where the criteria are of a lower standard – at least you’ll get a badge which will make you happy Very Happy

BASI is (if you like it or not) our National Ski / Board / Telemark / Nordic / Adaptive instructor’s association. Should we not support it in a forum like this?

I have worked in many resorts (ISIA) all over Europe and BASI seems to get more credibility from foreign ski schools than we do for our own ski/board community
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Who is whinging?

As a bystander I think there are some issues with BASI, not least the whole industry that seems to have sprung up around instructor development courses which would put me off the BASI system possibly on cost grounds compared to other systems which are less demanding in terms of supervised courses (setting aside the question of absolute standard).

Also as a bystander the whole SSE,SSS, BASI re-leveling, changing playing field seems a bit farcial too.

But overall youa re right - if its too hard look at yourself not the system.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Johnathon Anderson, Well said although the course is expensive and doing the levels can be time consuming it is a proffesional qalification and it is important that it is not just a roll up pay and qualify course.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Johnathon Anderson, what slagging off of BASI are you referring to?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar wrote:
Johnathon Anderson, what slagging off of BASI are you referring to?

May be this

Johnathon Anderson wrote:

Whilst there are undoubtedly some exceptional BASI instructors about, as an accreditation system it is deeply flawed
I have worked in many resorts (ski not board) and my BASI has always been accepted as it is seen all over europe as a good example of the instrcutors level of ability to "ski" and to "Teach"

I am confused.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jbob wrote:
I am confused.

I think that post would be less confusing with some quote tags.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry - I did not refer to the thread hang on I will get the link(s)

I do agree in some ways about the dry ski slope thing - I have never been on one (went for a coffee near one once)

It seems to be a money making idea - but as a basi member I think there really need to be just one organisation doing the qualifications
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rjs, was "Whilst there are undoubtedly some exceptional BASI instructors about, as an accreditation system it is deeply flawed" a quote from someone else?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
here is one

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=41986
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I know some brilliant basi snowboard instrcutors - it is very easy to get the badge - if you are good enough

If not you can always slag them off and say you can't bothered and look around for a badge thats easier to get
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jbob, It was from a post by dt on near the bottom of page 1 of stab's thread.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I agree with Johnathon Anderson, that we should be proud that as a non alpine nation are good enough to get in the Euro zone. However there are issues for BASI that are spoken of from the top to bottom of BASI as well as out side it. It would be a good thing if these were (allowed) to be aired then tackled. Should lead to an improved Association.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rjs, thanks, confusion resolved.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is a forum where any issues can be aired, as with any organisation - it’s called the AGM. Unfortunately very few members attend.

Not saying I do, but I think if I had any major issues then I would!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
beanie1 wrote:
There is a forum where any issues can be aired, as with any organisation - it’s called the AGM. Unfortunately very few members attend.

The AGM is 25th Nov - most course start the following week so most people will arrive at the weekend - 4 days after the AGM

Very strange

Sorry corrected below

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 21-10-08 16:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Johnathon Anderson, you're clearly r@d - can i touch you? rolling eyes
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
Johnathon Anderson, you're clearly r@d - can i touch you? rolling eyes

Sorry don't understand
snow report
Johnathon Anderson,
Quote:

The AGM is 25th Nov - most course start the following week so most people will arrive at the weekend - 4 days after the AGM

Just had a quick look at website and a quick tally shows 13 courses will be running the week that includes the 25th.
snow conditions
I can only find these

Zermatt Alpine Refresher/Conversion/Level 1 Resit 22/11/2008
Zermatt BASI Mountain Safety Re-assessment 23/11/2008
Zermatt Alpine Ski Teacher ISIA Technical Resit 24/11/2008
Zermatt Euro Mountain Security Training 24/11/2008
Zermatt Snowboard Level 2 Instructor Technical Resit 24/11/2008
Zermatt Alpine Level 2 Instructor Technical Resit 24/11/2008
Zermatt Alpine Level 1 Instructor 24/11/2008 - 28/11/2008
7 courses

Plus this
Zermatt Child Protection Module 21/11/2008
But that is not normally a stand alone course
latest report
ooops missed these

Zermatt Alpine Level 2 Instructor 17/11/2008 - 28/11/2008
Zermatt Adaptive Level 2 Instructor 17/11/2008 - 28/11/2008
Zermatt Adaptive Teacher 17/11/2008 - 28/11/2008
Zermatt Snowboard Level 2 Instructor 17/11/2008 - 28/11/2008
Zermatt International Ski Teacher Diploma Teaching 17/11/2008 - 21/11/2008
Zermatt Alpine Ski Teacher ISIA Technical 17/11/2008 - 28/11/2008

Yes you're right
snow report
Johnathon Anderson, the OP just seems really pointless:

"if you slag off BASI, you're not good enough and fyi I have my badge"

who cares?
snow report
Yeah you're right

Bye
snow conditions
Quote:

slagging off of BASI are you referring to?

that's one of the few legitimate uses of "off of" that I can recall seeing Toofy Grin

(having just spent the best part of 2 weeks in the US the frequent use of "off of" really got to me. Just don't get me started on the "We proudly brew" Starbucks coffee Laughing )
latest report
This thread looked like fun... ... but I have lost the will to live now
snow report
I actually think Jonothan has a valid point, most people i've met who slag off BASI have a personal axe to bear of some kind or other... (note most, not all!)

(edit: replaced "people" with "point" as made no sense!!)

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 21-10-08 17:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
beanie1,

They may well have, if they think BASI has any relevence to their skiing. If you want the qualifications you probably have to play their game, for good or bad..if you don't, they are irrelevant.
latest report
Yoda, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
I came on this thread to slag off BASI from the non-members peanut gallery and what do a find? Another discussion on grammar. rolling eyes

My 2p. Assuming the courses listed above are but a subset of those available over the course of the year, clearly BASI or its designated training partners have a substantial business to run in getting people through badges alone. Is the proliferation of such courses confusing and/or offputting to an onlooker? Yep. For this reason if I wanted a skiing "badge" alone I would probably go with the Canucks whose system I can readily understand (plus there are associated benefits such as getting a nice holiday in Canada, lower cost of accomodation etc).

I don't think absolute technical level comes into it although I've always been surprised that BASI ran specific off piste training courses for instance as my default assumption was that people who were wanting to be instructors had at least a reasonable grounding in such a fundamental aspect of the sport.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
wait until I fail, then we'll see slagging off Laughing
ski holidays
Yoda wrote:
Quote:

slagging off of BASI are you referring to?

that's one of the few legitimate uses of "off of" that I can recall seeing Toofy Grin

Well, I do try my best Wink
snow report
fatbob wrote:
I don't think absolute technical level comes into it although I've always been surprised that BASI ran specific off piste training courses for instance as my default assumption was that people who were wanting to be instructors had at least a reasonable grounding in such a fundamental aspect of the sport.

indeed - when i was doing the BASI thing it used to make me cross that I would have to pay about £500 to do some course which I had basically already done more than once!

i was actually really shocked at how little off-piste experience some of the people on my course had. they were probably better at carving pretty lines in the snow on a groomer but really quite weak at steeps, variable etc
latest report
[quote="Arno"]
fatbob wrote:

i was actually really shocked at how little off-piste experience some of the people on my course had. they were probably better at carving pretty lines in the snow on a groomer but really quite weak at steeps, variable etc

I fully agree with you on that - and I think that many BASI trainers will too - but I can't speak for them so....

I think some of the problems lay in the way some people think about the role of “ski/board instructor”. Some people see it as a badge – validating their current level of ability. Others see it as a profession.

If you really just want a badge there are many many places where you can get one after only a few weeks skiing.

But if you want to see ski instruction as a profession, you need to reach a certain level of skiing/boarding skill before you can attain the badge.

This is where the problem starts. Many people have a self assessed (or mate assessed “you’re really good you are”) assumption of their level of skill.

But who is to say what the required level is to be able to demonstrate and teach others and then to judge whether you have it.

As an example – you don’t really need to study at a UK university to become a doctor – you can either just go ahead and do and hope for the best or you can study in another country where the skill level required for you doctorate is lower. But in either of these case could you been seen as having chosen medicine as a profession.

The same apply to BASI courses. You really don’t “need” to pass a BASI course to be a British person who teaches skiing – you can work in Switzerland or go to another country where the skill level required to pass is lower. But – again – in these cases could you been seen as having chosen ski instruction as a profession.

You don’t need to even bother with BASI if you do not want to pass through the BASI system – BUT, to slag he association off and the levels required when you choose not to at least try – for whatever reason (you may be too good) is to say the least a little churlish.

If you feel you have the skill level required “AND” you want to teach skiing then why not try your hand at a BASI course.

I have NEVER seen (or heard of) a trainer saying to someone – sorry your cr@p, go away. You will always get constructive comments on a way forward – maybe this is the route cause of the slagging off – I don’t need anyone telling me how to board/ski…..my mates all say I’m brilliant
snow report
fatbob wrote:
I've always been surprised that BASI ran specific off piste training courses for instance as my default assumption was that people who were wanting to be instructors had at least a reasonable grounding in such a fundamental aspect of the sport.

They don't - they are called (by some) off-piste course but they are in fact off-piste mountain safety course teaching and assesing te skills required to lead small groups off piste and the required safety precuations needed.

This is not BASI's doing but a requirement of the ISIA
snow conditions
So where does the level required to pass BASI compare with other countries that have not yet been mentioned? (e.g. USA, France and Austria etc).
latest report
DB wrote:
So where does the level required to pass BASI compare with other countries that have not yet been mentioned? (e.g. USA, France and Austria etc).

I am not (nor ever will be Very Happy ) a trainer. But having worked with many other country's inststructors in my opinion BASI has one of the hardest to pass levels.

Next time you are skiing (if you have the honor to be in the same resort as a BASI member) look at how the BASI instrcutors not only ski/board but also how they teach - then compare them with others. Ask your self - would the other contry's teacher have passed a BASI course.

Don't get me wrong - virtually all european ski instrcutor courses are about the same level - but BASI has introduced a "re-assess" every 3 years. Look at some other associations and ask would all thier intructors pass if they took it again now - with BASI virtually everyone would

Thats just my opinion - but of course I am biased wink
snow report
Most of the instruction I see is coaches teaching Austria's up and coming stars on the glaciers. Based on my experience, for a learner skier I'd say that a native English speaking instructor would in general give the best results because the communication is better. As the people who are instructors outside of the UK tend to be born near mountains (e.g. France, Austria, Switzerland, USA) I'd say that in general they are the better skiers esp. when it comes to offpiste skiing. There are however a few exceptions to this rule but these tend to be UK skiers who spend seasons in the alps from a young age. For these reasons when comparing top level instruction and skiing then BASI is not at the top IMHO.
snow report
Quote:

I came on this thread to slag off BASI from the non-members peanut gallery and what do a find? Another discussion on grammar.

- merely an attempt to inject a little humour into a very peculiar thread which seemed to have been spawned from a galaxy far far away.... Laughing

as far as I am aware most folk around here have nothing but praise for many BASI instructors they have encountered - myself included.

Johnathon Anderson, if you consider that thread you quoted as "slagging off" then stick around, you ain't seen nothing yet Laughing
ski holidays
We are in fact tested by BASI for our god like qualities.
snow report
Do you pass?
snow conditions
Johnathon Anderson wrote:
We are in fact tested by BASI for our god like qualities.

Fortunately BASI dropped the assessment for having an excessively large ego because everyone was getting top grades. It was only when it was replaced with the Deity Test that the sheep could be sorted from the goats.

rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy