Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Plagne Soleil

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I’m after a bit of La Plagne advice. Found a nice looking apartment in Plagne Soleil, which is ski-in/ski-out – just wondering about the convenience of Plagne Soleil in relation to the rest of the areas, as it seems like a pretty small area. Has anyone stayed there before?

Is Plagne Soleil actually part of Plagne Villages, or just close by? It looks like Plagne Soleil is on a couple of runs that go down to Plagne Centre, but do they come out in Plagne centre at a convenient point for accessing the rest of the lifts? Is there an easy way to access the rest of the skiing while avoiding drag lifts?

What about having a few drinks after skiing? Don’t need huge nightlife, as we’ll have a big enough group to make our own fun staying in, and we tend to be in bed early so we can get up early to ski! More concerned with if we stop somewhere at the end of the skiing day to have a few drinks, will we be able to get back home easily afterwards, or will we need to make sure we finish our ski day in Plagne Soleil. Plus I’m also quite keen on the whole torchlit descents and fireworks etc that lots of resorts put on at new year (which is when we’re going) – will there be any of that going on in Plagne Soleil, or will we need to go elsewhere? (and then same applies about getting back afterwards??) What about going out for dinner a couple of nights? Are there any options in Plagne Soleil, or should we go elsewhere, and how easy is that?

I know there’s a bus system that runs quite late – can you get taxis around if you stay out later than the buses? And are the buses free? Do the same buses go round all the villages, or do you have to get ‘connections’ to get to some places?

Sorry for all the questions, hope someone can help!

Thanks,
Claire.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Claire

Been to LP a few years ago (x2) so I might be a little out of date, but stayed in both 1800 and Plagne Centre.

IIRC plagne soleil is the bit near the melezes lift. If you ski down to the bottom of those runs then you would either need to take a lift back over the top of Plagne soleil and drop down into bellecote which is good for accessing the Roche De Mio, glacier and that side of the resort as well as going down to montchavin for les arcs access. To access Plagne centre and the whole right hand side of the resort (looking at the piste map) then you'd need to pick up the short beginner chair which runs up to plagne centre. This is short but SLOW and is where all the kids start to learn on, so it can be a bit start stop. So yes you can access the rest of the network without drags provided you are up and on it before ski school. Alternatively it may be possible to cut across to one of the drags near plagne villages, depending on where in plagne soleil you're staying.

I could be wrong but I think 'soleil' is aimed more for families than those wanting some nightlife - I don't think there's much in terms of bars etc. The restaurant 20 yds to the left of the top of the melezes lift was our defacto 4pm 'vin-chaud' stop on the way home, and then the run back to PS would be a doddle. It's more a vin-chaud in the sun on the terrace than pumping Austrian apres (depends on what you like though!) . If you've not got kids then I might suggest that belle plagne would be more useful/fun as there's a few more bars and we managed to have a good time when we went one new year. Only trick is to make sure you're not dropping into bellecote at 09:30am as the queues can be horrible..

Not sure about the buses never used them other than the ski bus from 1800 to PC in the morning.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cxxx, First stop the best facility for all things La Plagne is www.perso-laplagne.fr The English translation of the site will be ready in a couple of weeks or so.

Soleil is across a piste from Villages.

Re: lift access bertie basset has summed it up nicely. In the evenings the free busses are frequent and connect all the 'altitude villges'. Including 1800 where Le Mine nightclub is to be found.
Generally the buses run round in circles but at off peak sometimes a change in Centre is needed. By road Bellcote is quite a distance from Centre/sloleils/villages
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi

I've skied in La Plagne for the last ten years or so including a full season there a few years back. I've always been based in Plagne Villages which is the nearest resort to Plagne Soleil, thought they are only separated by a piste and a car park.

IMO Plagne Soleil is in a very good position in relation to the La Plagne ski area. It has its own drag-lift which takes you to a very cruisy blue area from where you can easily get to Bellecote, Plagne Centre, Plagne Villages etc. The other option is to ski down from Plagne Soleil and into Plagne Centre, here you drop down to two chair lifts, one takes you back past Plagne Soleil and drops you off just above Bellecote. The other is, as mentioned above, a slow beginner chairlift that takes you to the main lifts of Plagne Centre. Although slow, and uncomfortable due to no footrest, I never had a problem with this lift. The third option is to ski past the two chairs, over the bridge, and down into Plagne 1800.

Plagne Soleil only has a couple of bars, but one of them seems to be very popular with the Brits who visit. English style pub, normally shows sports and a nice terrace for those sunny days. There are also bars on the slopes that will be more than capable of serving you a few drinks before you head down to resort.

Buses, there is a shuttle bus that runs between Plagne Villages, Plagne Soleil and Plagne Centre until fairly late, not sure what time they stop though. Fairly late though. There is a decent, for La Plagne anyway, nightlife to be had in Plagne Centre. I think some of the bars do a shuttle bus back to resort if you do miss the last bus as well.

Personally I've always liked Plagne Soleil, a nice modern resort that is easier on the eye than some of the La Plagne monstrosities, as well as being in a good position in the ski area. I would say though, that I prefer Plagne Villages as it has a better link to Plagne Centre, both on piste and via the telebus lift that runs until about eight at night.

Hope this helps.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
LaserStock wrote:
Hi

The third option is to ski past the two chairs, over the bridge, and down into Plagne 1800.

I recollect having to cross a road to get back to 1800 - down the 'les mines' piste is that still the case?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks the replies guys - very useful! Sounds like a decent enough place - vin chaud on the terrace sounds perfect!

Is it possible to walk between Plagne Soleil and Plagne Villages? Or Plagne Centre for that matter?!

Do you know if there will be new year fireworks etc. going on around there? Will Plagne Centre probably be the best place?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cxxx, Each village has it's own fireworks display which will be well advertised in each resoort.
Walking from soleil can be done along the roads or in a straight line across the piste! once in villages there is a telebus (Youghurt pots) lift down to centre or you can walk down the road, tis a long walk back up!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy