Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mottaret Piste Tips

Poster: A snowHead
Would like to make the best out of the week were going in Jan. Some days we will just set off and see where it takes us but sometimes its also best to know where to look.

Whats the best run you enjoyed at the 3 Vallees and which lifts did you take to get there?

Is there a best time of day to ski certain places?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We went to La Tania last year and the Chapelets red run furthest away from Mottaret is excellent if you like to get away from everything.
It is almost like back country skiing without the risk.
Not many people seem to go there and therefore it often has freshies.
If there are young children with you then the Indians slope is great, with their Tepees half way down.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jerusalem above St. Martin De Belleville....Just so you can sing it loud and proud
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jerusalem is a beautiful run, perfect easy red run.

Heading over to the glacier in Val Thorens is great fun too. takes about 1.5 hours to get over there but the runs at the very far right (as you look at the map). Think its actually called the 4th valley ?Orellss? maybe ?

For me the best advice and circuits were gleaned of this great site :

http://www.meribel-unplugged.co.uk/meribel/skiing/guide/intermediates.htm

The are also really helpful if you email them.

Taemo
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Has been a long while since I was in the 3V but am going again myself in Jan. From previous trips there in the 90's my favourite memories are of Mt Vallon (the run to the right of the gondola as you are descending) and the itinerary run from top of La Masses (I think) to Val Thorens. really looking forward to exploring the area again.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I love the runs down from Mont Vallon (PLATIERRES I, PLATIERRES II, bouvreuill, MONT VALLON). When I was there last they had about a metre of powder off the sides of them! Also like tetras from the top of LOZE but it can be a bit hairy and is sometimes closed due to avalanche risk. The skiing over the far side of Couchevel is great too and you're well placed to get over there from Mottaret (straight up the PAS DU LAC gondolla). And, of course, jerusalem. Can't go the the 3Vs without bombing down that a few times.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I know it's not everybody's cup of tea but we had a lovely day out in the 4th valley with a great lunch
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another vote for Jerusalem - even though I did catch an edge, bite through my lip and made sure it really was a red run.

Although it is easier than green - I also really liked the run down from Motterat to Meribel
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's an 'indiens' run down into c1650 too.. again great fun with kids to make relevant indian type noises... as a piste itself it's a little dull, apart from watching nervous skiers fall over at the slightly steeper bit...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boris wrote:
Although it is easier than green - I also really liked the run down from Motterat to Meribel

You still get some air off the rollers if you have tucked it from the top.

My favorite of all would be Chamois, it is just a nice gradient and is usually fairly quiet with good snow.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MFC, I'm sure skimottaret will be along soon to advise... hope you have a brilliant trip
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You've really wetted my appetite. I'm not due to go until Feb half term and have a last minute one planned for 13th December but was planning on Tignes(never been) but you have made me really think hard about 3Vs again!! snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MFC, as above you should really visit skimottaret.com loads of great info of exactly the type you're looking for. I am going in Jan and also starting to salivate about all that mileage!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers all and keep the best runs coming wether there blue,red or black. Id really like to set off somewhere early and be the 1st there with fresh powder or at the minimum have a head start on people on were to go and how to get there.

Ive been to Bulgaria twice and the 1st year was skiing on tar mac and the 2nd was much better but still I was no way as near as excited as this.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MFC, You'll love Mottaret then. No comparison I would think. The Mont Vallons was the last run we did last season - I was in tears about halfway down it was soooo beautiful. Would agree with taemo about the 4th Valley too. It is a lovely run all the way down and the view is spectacular towards the Ecrins if it is clear. Jerusalem seems to be the one everyone raves about. There are some pretty fiercesome moguls into Meribel.

Val Thorens is good if the weather is clear. Go high. Les Menuires is ok - La Masse is supposed to be a quiet spot to aim for, but it was pretty yucky and icy the time we went.

The Saulire is well worth a go on the Courchevel side - the gondola trip is quite a blast and the run is a great red.

You will have an absolute blast.
snow report
I'm at home now so I've got all my notes from when I went last. Had great fun on dou des lanches and jockeys. From Mottaret easiest way (correct me if I'm wrong someone) is truite, RHODOS 1 and 2, blanchot, LOZE. They're both fairly flattering blacks. It's worth doing it in the morning unless the snow's good as jockey goes down to Courchevel 1300 so it can get a bit slushy at the bottom. If you want a challenge, gd couloir from the top of SAULIRE is pretty good. Hardest piste I've ever done, I think. It's along a pretty scary path then into a narrow, steep couloir which opens up into a steep mogul field (when I was there, anyway). I was taken on it by a SCGB rep and I'm not sure if I'd be able to find it again so possibly worth asking or finding someone who's done it before.

Chaplets, rocher and bel air are lovely long reds over on the East of Courchevel. Saw some French kids doing GS training down rocher so you could see if you can keep up by practically straight lining it down there. Wink

Chanorossa would be worth it just for the views from the top but it's a great run too, nice and wide so you can hoon it down there but watch out for moguls. It seemed to be half groomed and half moguls when I was there. It's got a red, J. pachod running next to it so a good one if you've got weaker skiers with you.

I might agree with others about the 4th valley but when I went there it was -32C with 30-40mph winds so I didn't really see much of it or appreciate the runs, what with trying to stop my flesh from freezing! I'd recommend a slightly more sensible day... rolling eyes

Mottaret is a great base for the whole 3 valleys so you can easily ski everywhere. Up PAS DU LAC for Courchevel, PLATTIERES for Val Thorens and Les Menuires. If you fancy trying the whole 3 valleys in one day there's a thing called the Escapade that you get from the tourist office. You're meant to stamp it over the week at points around the 3 valleys but some blokes decided to do it in one day. I was going to do it from Mottaret so I've done a route from there but I never got round to it in the end. I'll just have to go back again...

You're going to have a ball - wish I was going!
ski holidays
If you can hit it without crowds perhaps at lunch time I'm vary top of La saluire either down to la Praz or 1550 depending on how the mood takes me ( but stopping is for wimps) -involves either 1300-1500 metres vertical drop.
snow report
olster, my mates Richie, Will and Aaron are the current record holders for the Escapade and absolutely blasted it for the day.... You need to be in shape to do that one justice.

MFC, depends on what you enjoy skiing and your ability level. I have three itineraries for beginners, intermediate/advanced and a description of all the black runs in the 3V's www.skimottaret.com on the downloads page.

The lower meribel valley can get icy at times on some runs so it pays to follow the sun and do them at the right time. For instance Mauduit piste can chatter your teeth lose or be stunning depending on when you take it. also take advantage of being the highest point in the valley.. Me personally i like getting up early and beating the crowds from meribel and get first/early tracks on Mount Vallon.. Cote Brune is a nice area, can be a bit cold first thing but has relatively unused pistes that are in good shape like lagopede or mouflon.

Or get up to the top of saulire and hit the combe or creux pistes for a wide fast red run burn lower down try chanrossa. "M" is a very under skied black that is usually in great condition. Off piste is fantastic on Mt vallon and in the Creux Noire bowl.

your spoiled for choice really Toofy Grin Cool
snow report
Yes, I'd agree with skimottaret - first bubble out of Mottaret and then hammer down Creux. You can just about manage a second lap before anyone from Courchevel can arrive.
snow report
skimottaret, Nice place - good idea having the itineraries - will bear all in mind for our next trip to 3V. I guess you live there?
latest report
MarjMJ, no, based in blighty but should get 7 or 8 weeks in this year.... Toofy Grin

and on the east side of the valley chamios is good as rjs says...
latest report
I think Mottaret is the best place to be based for someone who wants to explore the whole 3 valleys area, The more 'up for it' you are, the better it will suit you. I'm not saying you need to be an expert to enjoy it, far from it. But, I think it's one of those places which serve best the skier who wants to be on the first lift (or maybe the second) and whatever the day throws at them, wont be back till tea-time snowHead

It's a few minutes above Meribel, just over the ridge from Les Menuires, not too far from Val Thorens (40mins - 1hr) and best of all, has a direct lift that drops you at the top of the Courchevel area even before people staying in Courchevel can get there. The 2 main lifts have a good capacity so you don't tend to wait in the mornings. However, if you get up late i.e. >10:30 AM you'll find it's central position leads to a lot of traffic and consequently much greater likelihood of queues.

The biggest downside of staying in Mottaret IMV is the runs back into town at the end of the day as, although they are blue runs they are a little on the steep side which results in a lot of tired beginners hesitating, falling and side-slipping the snow, polishing the piste - this freaks out other nervous skiers and so the problem is self perpetuating. The worst time for this is between 3 and 4PM as that's when most 'tired people' quit for the day. However, take half an hour for a drink on the way down and hit the village at about 4:30 and it's not an issue anymore. However, at the end of the day, beware if you miss the last lift on the 'Plan des Mains' coming back from VT or Mont Vallon. The alternative is a long shallow run called the 'ours' which is so legendarily tedious, it's almost worth doing just to be able to nod sagely in agreement when others (innevitabley) complain about it.

I'd say my top tip though is to grab the bubble up the Courchevel side at 9AM and take the Creux down towards the Chanrossa chair. It's a wide red run that's an exhilarating warm-up without being too trying but best of all, which catches the sun in the morning. IMO it's one of the best first runs of the day. Where you go after that is up to you.
Take the Chanrossa up into the area above Courchevel 1650 where everthing's blue and red and quite pleasantly intermediate (that's where the runs that Llew mentioned are). Or, head past the Chanrossa down to the Aguile de Fruit and Creux lifts which take you back up above 1850.
latest report
Quote:

The biggest downside of staying in Mottaret IMV is the runs back into town at the end of the day

yup... take em late and slow and just play around at the side of the piste (or sneak onto the stade Toofy Grin )

I always say it should be named Courchevel - Mottaret instead of Meribel Mottaret as it is definately the closest to the top of the courchevel serviced area. I routinely beat people staying in 1850 to the top and meet them with a coffee in hand....
latest report
admin, absolutely and totally agreed. I don't much like Motters as a place, but location-wise it's unbeatable. And, oh, that first run down Les Creux after the piste basher - what bliss!
snow report
Creux for me defines the term "Red Run". A fairly decent pitch on the top, but really wide. It then flattens out further down with some nice angles and rollers that one can thrash down.
latest report
Been told by my better half that i can go off for an afternoon and play, so could you also let me know about any black runs. Take into account that its my 1st time on a black but feel comfortable doing that!
ski holidays
MFC, read this http://www.pleva.net/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/3valleysblackruns.pdf

there is a very easy black in the Meribel valley called Combe Tougnete that you could have a go at... It has little sections of steeps that flatten out so you can try it in small bites...
latest report
skimottaret, this is relevant to something I posted on another thread, but I'd like to check it out, so that I don't mislead anybody...the VT black that's off the back of Cime de Caron, that joins up with Gentiane and Maurienne (sp?) on the way down to the Rosael chair - it's not very black, is it? I did it in good conditions, but it didn't seem hard.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, you mean the one going to the 4th valley? hmmmm..... In good conditions it is quite easy but i took two kids down it last year and the visibility was awful and it is narrow in places and hard to tell if you are on or off piste....

The whole link to the 4th valley is like that the wind gets up and the snow blows all over making the skiing pretty hairy... I dont go there unless there is no wind.
snow conditions
skimottaret, oops, thanks - I'll copy and post to the other thread - wouldn't want Megamum getting into difficulties on my account! Shocked Shocked
snow report
Quote:

but should get 7 or 8 weeks in this year....

...nobody likes a gloater - just jealous really Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Agree about the blue run down - it is like plate glass and a true cripples corner at the end of the day. I have been known to take the gondola down with an accompanying hip flask Toofy Grin

Agree too about it being the centre of the network. Mottaret definitely has a lot of good points.
snow conditions
La Masse. Some great lines under the chairs Lac noir and Masse 2. Good pitch, chalky snow, north facing (ish) and quiet-though not a problem in Jan.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy