Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Should I go in early Jan with a 5 yr old daughter and 8 yr old son and wife who have not skiied before. I know Val and Tignes very well and fancy going again but everybody else fancies Austria. Looking for a 4 star hotel with pool, budget is not limitless unfortunatley. Must have a guarantee of snow and good ski school.

S
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
simbasolo, welcome to snowHeads snowHead . Can't advise on Austria but I'm sure someone will be along shortly.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
simbasolo,

Welcome to snowheads. High French resorts such as Tignes will be relatively cold in January for the little ones, however is general should have better snow conditions. Austria would be a good bet for first time skiers. Pretty scenery and not as bleak.

I really liked Saalbach and Zell am See.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
How about Schladming. Short transfer from Salzburg and interesting town. Lessons are on the Rohrmoos where there is also a very long toboggan run - floodlit at night. Four linked mountains also a ski bus. Lots of snow cannons also just in case!
Favourite area is Lech/St.Anton but not sure how good it would be for children/beginners.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
simbasolo, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Obertauern in Austria has a pretty good snow record, there's some nice gentle skiing, ski in/out hotels. I'd highly recommend the Hotel Schneider http://www.schneider.at/englisch/index.html , complete with lovely pool. Food is great and they cater well for kids. The resort runs a bookable airport shuttle from their website, which is very good & convenient http://www.obertauern.com/Home.199.0.html?&L=1
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
simbasolo, 4*'s in Saalbach were reasonable value when I went there and the Hotel Christianna was quite central..well anything in the main street is central of 5 mins or so from the lifts. I think it had a pool..and it wouldn't be too hard to find one which did have anyway. The Austrians are big on their Wellness centres, ISTR.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
simbasolo wrote:
Should I go in early Jan with a 5 yr old daughter and 8 yr old son and wife who have not skiied before. I know Val and Tignes very well and fancy going again but everybody else fancies Austria. Looking for a 4 star hotel with pool, budget is not limitless unfortunatley. Must have a guarantee of snow and good ski school.

S

Look at Serfaus, extensive skiing, snow sure and a paradise for kids!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
simbasolo, Would consider Serfaus (Hotels Lowe and Baer look great for kids), Oberlech (Hotel Montana - stayed there with our 3 kids this year and rated it best ever holiday) or Obergurgl (Hotel Weiss and Gurgl looks good). I have looked into these for this year, and tick all the family boxes - ie close to slopes/lifts, 4 star or 4 star superior acc., close to ski school, stuff for kids to do in hotel.

Oberlech is a cracking place to take the kids as the skiing is nice and easy, great lift system (mostly heated seats), you're on the slopes (something of a rarety in Austria), there's a great toboggan run down to Lech which is open till 10 at night and the service and quality of pretty much everything is 1st class. www.oberelch.com

Serfaus is probably even more family orientated than Oberlech as there's a fantastic looking kids area with tubing and loads of other non ski activities. I've not been though but have seriously considered it. Obergurgl gets a great write up too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
simbasolo, try Wengen in Switzerland, at that time of year I'd expect it to be fairly snow sure, the hotel that would suit is probably the Sunstar as that's a 4* with a pool, right opposite the nursery slopes, 30 seconds from the cablecar and 2 minutes from the station, lots of gentle slopes including an easy run back to the village and a good ski school
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
simbasolo, welcome to snowHead .

As per boabski, I would recommend you think about Serfaus. It's not really on the big TO radar but I have no idea why, it has a large ski area (linked to Fiss & Ladis) so would appeal to all sorts, but is really marketing primarily to families and has a very good reputation for high standards of accommodation and family facilities. I have not been myself (yet!) but know a few people who have who were very impressed.

Obertauern is good from a snow and hotel point of view, but it is not as pretty as some of the more traditional villages. Obergurgl would tick your boxes as well I think. Lech is lovely but it is more expensive so it really does depend on your price range.

D
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy