Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When Is It Going To Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Can someone please re-assure me, I am the same every year. I keep looking at the webcam's and their is nothing, not even a hint of the white stuff and I start panicking about there being no snow for New Year.

I am confident, that by mid December it will be there, but I can't help thinking that it should be there now.

OR IS IT JUST ME

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's forecast a little flurry for later today / tomorrow / this week over most of the Alps I think. Only a dusting, mind.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's snowing RIGHT NOW on CairnGorm Mtn: http://www.cairngorm-mountain.co.uk/webcam/ptarmigan_large.jpg

Only the slightest dusting, should be more showers sticking later if the temps drop as forecast.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Winterhighland, what's that tangled-looking mess that looks like it's hanging from the lift cables in that pic?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kel, No - not just you.

I am the same

There will be snow and there will be skiing - some years better than others.

I went 2 years ago when it was the worst start to season for years - still had plenty of snow
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We must be all doing this ! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
already been snow on the webcams..its just melted again..looks like Midweek will be some snow fall...its been fairly dry so far..just need a bit of a temp drop and some percipetation.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Me too (I've got a big birthday coming up and want to be on skis).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
........................and don't forget - only October

I did re-read most of last years snow threads to see when the snow starting falling Embarassed
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
started around this time didn't it last year? then that massive dump in November
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Early December when the first real snow was around - I posted this

Boris wrote:
Piste basher at work so must have been a reasonable dump

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Owners have reported snow fall in Samoens already! Not in the village granted, but that's only 700m so suprising if it had been! Fluffy white stuff at 1600m though Very Happy Boris, lovely picture
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anniepen, just wish Peisey-Vallandry would turn their cameras on - they're all showing snow, but is from April rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boris wrote:
Anniepen, just wish Peisey-Vallandry would turn their cameras on - they're all showing snow, but is from April rolling eyes

That caught me out on one of the webcams I was looking at Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jonm, depending what direction the camera was looking at the time - the 'tangley' thing your seeing is most likely the floating bull-wheel at the top of the West Wall Poma.
ski holidays
Looking back at past records the first snow that settles and is adequate for skiing normally comes around last 2 weeks of November/early December.
snow conditions
We head to Morzine on December 23rd, I am certain Avoriaz will be top notch, Morzine/Les Gets maybe not so, but remember, the later it starts, the longer it lasts! PLLLEEEAAASSSSEEEEE Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Quote:

I start panicking about there being no snow for New Year.

Kel. Get a grip. It's October. The cows are still in the field, the trees are just turning, I was out walking in a T shirt yesterday. If there's still no snow in, say, the second week of December you have permission to panic. wink
ski holidays
Standee, "the later it starts, the longer it lasts" - uh? not sure where you get that from. If the Cham season starts on the 10th of May, it will last exactly one day.

I think you mean the "earlier it starts the longer it lasts". Puzzled closing dates are fixed by the hand of man, opening dates are influenced by the hidden whim of the snow gods.

And as pam w, suggests, get lives all of you. It's Autumn. Skiing is a WINTER sport. You are a season early.
snow report
There was 15cms of snow here, at 1600m, two weeks ago, according to my neighbours. It's gone. It was bound to go. It's October.
snow report
Quiet David Murdoch. This sort of thing gets me through the Autumn. And the Summer. And the second half of Spring.
snow report
pam w,

It's winter in Canada. http://skibanff.com/conditions/webcam3still.php
latest report
paulio, what's wrong with: kite-surfing, parapente, VTT, walking, speedflying, climbing, bouldering or even plain sunbathing?
ski holidays
does not compute
snow conditions
Boris wrote:
Early December when the first real snow was around - I posted this

I remember that day well. I had to drive from Les Arcs to Val d'Isere and because I needed to make an early start the road from my apartment hadn't been cleared. The snow was so deep that there was a bow wave coming off the front of my car!
latest report
David Murdoch wrote:
And as pam w, suggests, get lives all of you. It's Autumn. Skiing is a WINTER sport. You are a season early.

Yeah, but Autumn is BOOOOOOOORING...

Very Happy
snow report
FastEddie wrote:
David Murdoch wrote:

Yeah, but Autumn is BOOOOOOOORING...

Very Happy

You could always do a pre-season trip to one of the resorts with a glacier...
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
You could always do a pre-season trip to one of the resorts with a glacier...

Yeah, but having an oppressive mortgage is BOOOOOOOORING...

Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch wrote:

Last Sunday

.... but I would rather be skiing
latest report
DB, actually that looks pretty good to me - where was it?
snow conditions
achilles wrote:
DB, actually that looks pretty good to me - where was it?

The Rax Mountain, Austria.

more pics at the end of this thread
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=43265&highlight=

It's just over an hour from here (Vienna) on the Lower Austria / Steiermark border. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Rax-Schneeberg.png

more info here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rax
latest report
DB, Looks wonderful - and a tad exposed. I see you roped up in parts. Great stuff. Reckon I'd enjoy that as much as skiing- -though perhaps I am just envious - not been out in the hills the last 2 summers.
latest report
achilles wrote:
DB, Looks wonderful - and a tad exposed. I see you roped up in parts. Great stuff. Reckon I'd enjoy that as much as skiing- -though perhaps I am just envious - not been out in the hills the last 2 summers.

To be honest it looks a lot more difficult/exposed than it was. It was basically hill walking with a bit of scrambling which had fixed cables / ladders in exposed places. A harness and one of these is used http://actionoutdoors.co.uk/shop/petzl-scopio-eashook-p-1966.html for safety.
Many of the experienced locals did this route without any safety equipment. As a father of two young children I play it safe, besides if I fell off and killed myself the wife wouldn't arf give me a right telling off.
snow report
This season is predicted to be warm .
snow conditions
Oh SHUT UP !! I don't want to hear words like warm, melt, global warming and rain. Anyway got a snow-alert email from snow-forecast.com for Arabba this morning so winter's coming I tell you.
snow report
dsoutar wrote:
Oh SHUT UP !! I don't want to hear words like warm, melt, global warming and rain. Anyway got a snow-alert email from snow-forecast.com for Arabba this morning so winter's coming I tell you.

So there! Very Happy
snow conditions
I can confirm that the season is predicted to be warm with very little snowfall at all

......... in the Dutch alps.
ski holidays
Next week huge snowfalls in the alps at low altitude, if the current predictions don't change at least...
ski holidays
Snowed here today, here comes another 9 foot winter Toofy Grin
snow report
stanton wrote:
This season is predicted to be warm .

Oh gawd - here we go again. rolling eyes

You predicted no-one one be skiing in 06/07 as it was a terrible season - and you were wrong.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy