Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to ski from Sion?

Poster: A snowHead
Some will know that Mr HH and I are big fans of valley towns rather than staying in big resorts. So, based on many a post on snowHeads we're heading off to Sion in December, but where to ski? There are the big obvious choices but are there any small overlooked areas that we should try out? Don't mind driving a reasonable distance to reach something interesting.

We've never visited this area before so all advice welcomed and restaurant recommendations would be good too....we're camping in the Ibis but I won't want to eat there often!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ski resorts within 1 hour of Sion Airport
Arolla Fiesch Saas Almagell
Belalp-Blatten-Naters Grächen Saas-Fee
Château d'Oex La Fouly Verbier
Crans-Montana La Tzoumaz Villars - Gryon
Evolène Morgins Zinal

Taken from http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Sion.html wher each name is a link to the resort Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In December go high. Verbier is about 45 minutes drive or 25 minutes to Le Chable then cable car up the hill.

Veysonnaz and Haute Nendaz are also close or you could go to a smaller place like Champex Lac, Diablerets, Villars or any of those listed by boredsurfin.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Two of the closest areas are Anzere and Ovronnaz, both smallish, interesting little areas - providing conditions are good and they are fully open, Anzere should last you a couple of days, mainly reds and some good off-piste; Ovronnaz a bit smaller still, and varied, but only worth one day trip probably. Anzere is on the way up to Crans; Ovronnaz is on the same (south-facing) valley side, but west of Sion. Both have a similar aspect to Crans, including the same great views. Apres poor but that won't matter if you are staying elsewhere.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
homphomp, totally off topic, but how are you getting to Sion?

I've always thought it looked like a great airport to fly into, but haven't been able to find any reasonable flights...did I miss something or are you taking a private plane Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ChrisWo, Inghams used to run a charter there on Saturdays in the high season. I booked seat only on it on a number of occasions- in fact 5 but only landed at Sion 3 times - if they can't see the runway from 1,500m they have to abort and often in the winter there's an inversion and the valley is full of cloud, so you end up in GVA anyway.

homphomp, a bit further afield but doable by train with one change is Zermatt. If you've never been there it's a good day out and you may need the glacier in December.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
homphomp, If there's good snow cover you could spend a day skiing at Leukerbad and then plunge into the spa waters afterwards. Not far from sion, just above Sierre. Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ChrisWo, I would love to arrive by private plane....sadly I didn't win the lottery last week!! We are driving down so it will be easy to travel around to various places.

Thanks for all the suggestions....I'll check them all out and start planning an itinerary! Roll on the snow.... snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
homphomp,

That plane - or rather, pilot - would need the mountain rating for that airport, I think. I have always wanted to do the same into Courchevel..and my friend has one...but we have never gotten round to it... Sad Sad Sad

You would have plenty of choice for the day with Sion as a base... but I can't help thinking that it is a waste to go up and down the valley all the time... just my thinking, thats all
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tiny airport - you would not want to spend much time there. Been there for Verbier. But also landed at Geneva when weather conditions stopped us getting into Sion... as Steve Sparks says.... so good luck Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm really surprised nobody has said Grimentz (given that there have been threads on it recently). Beautiful old village, smallish pisted ski area but great off-piste.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 21-10-08 11:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nendaz, La Tzoumaz, Les Collons, Crans-Montana, Vercorin, St Luc/Chandolin, Grimentz, Zinal.

I've stayed at Ibis Sion a few times & the food is actually ok.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT wrote:
.... I can't help thinking that it is a waste to go up and down the valley all the time... just my thinking, thats all

We like to mix things up a bit...some trips we base ourselves in a ski station and stay in the one area, but we often base ourselves in valley towns which let you go to resorts that you simply wouldn't want to spend a week in! So from Sion we'll be looking to ski in smaller resorts which only warrant one or two days to explore, we'll pop into the Four Valleys of course just to check it out for a future trip...but this one is about variety and quiet overlooked gems!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ssnowman, How far out of the main centre is the Ibis? Will we be able to stroll it in reasonable time or is it so far out on a limb it wouldn't be worth it? (We have stayed in places which were a 45 minute walk to town and still walked both ways each evening....certainly come back fitter!!)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Zinal and Grimentz piste maps here (Plus Vercorin and St-Luc.)
ski holidays
Powderhound wrote:
In December go high. Verbier is about 45 minutes drive or 25 minutes to Le Chable then cable car up the hill.

Veysonnaz and Haute Nendaz are also close or you could go to a smaller place like Champex Lac, Diablerets, Villars or any of those listed by boredsurfin.

Whats access like into Verbier from Le Chable. Plenty of parking ? busy times ?. Thinking of a day trip late Jan
latest report
homphomp, Food in the IBIS is exceptional value in our opinion .. but the location of the hotel is dire for walking around the town itself which is OK and quite fun. Basicallly stuck in a commercial/industrial estate.

From the hotel Nendaz is 'just up the hill' as it were ... by far your closest option but parking in Nendaz is bad unless you get up very early. Id probably drive ( or take the Post bus) to Siviez which is only a couple of Kms further ( and better parking) and then the 4 Valllees is your oyster .. musch better than starting in Verbier! Anzere involves a bit of a hike from the hotel .. Crans-Montana and Val d'Anniviers are better options ( maybe train to Sierre and take the c-car to Crans?)

edit - and despite what has been claimed earlieron this thread almost as fast to ski to Verbier from Siviez as drive there ( even Zermatt might be closer!)
Dont bother with Les Diablerets / Glacier3000, nothing worth skiing unless everything is green below 2500m.
latest report
dz4d1v, It's the easiest way to ski Verbier. Loads of parking 12 minutes to the snow and you can buy your days pass at the bottom. Very unlikely to be that busy in late January even after a dump. Pop into Le Rosbif for a beer and pizza afterwards to round off a great day.
ski holidays
Or from Sion you could via the back door to Verbier via Les Collons.. I will be trying that this year...as I will try and get over from Zinal for a day...
ski holidays
Steve Sparks,

Thanks for the info. Any suggestions on a route to get the most out of a days pass
ski holidays
dz4d1v, JT, Agenterre,

you can easily get into Verbier from Collons or Siviez but if you start in Chable then you can have an apres vin chaud or beer up in Verbier at the Fer a Cheval, Pub Montfort or Farinet Apres Ski and still catch the last cable car down to your car. Le Rosbif is worth a swift half too... If you are clever you can even get the train from Sion to Le Chable via Martigny which would negate needing a car...
snow report
Powderhound, .. and waste most of the day Toofy Grin snowHead

.. there are other bars in Switzerland, some dont even require driving afterwards? wink

It's not my holiday but NO WAY would I bother going to Verbier by train/car if I were staying in Sion.
latest report
Agenterre, it's not mine either... and I wouldn't stay in Sion!
latest report
Agenterre and Powderhound, to be fair dz4d1v hasn't even said that s/he is staying in Sion and it was me who introduced the concept of beer. But assuming that dz4d1v is asking for a route that is how to get the best out of a day's ski pass rather than a day's drinking pass (although some would say I'm best qualified on the latter); I would suggest the following for someone who is happy on bumps and off piste and has good weather.

From Les Runiettes get the Funispace up to Lac Des Vaux. Do one lap on the 4 man chair at the Lac, so you know what it's like, then for a warm up go down to La Chaux and take the jumbo to the top of Col de Gentianes. Up the Mont Fort lift to the top of Mont Fort. Take in the view, come down the front side, stay right and carry on down to Tortin. Take the bubble up to the top of Tortin and then ski back down what you've just gone up in the lift. Take the lift back up to Col de Gentianes and then ski down to La Chaux via Cabane Mt fort where you may stop for a tuna roll, glass of gamay and chocolate brownie. Take the La Chaux express back up to Ruinettes and funispace to Attelas. Now if fresh and loads of time take Vallon d'arbi to La Tzoumaz and back to Verbier via savolyeres and carrefour. If a bit tired take Vallon d'arbi to col des mines and then down to carrefour and back to Verbier. If knackered down through the coombe back to Verbier.

I think Powderhound, has identified a suitable itinerary once you return to Verbier.
ski holidays
For me to get down from Zinal and into the Verbier lift sys...and passing Sion on the way.. it is going to take in the region of 2 hrs before I get to ski..that is my thinking...plus we would want to look at the backside of Mt Fort and over the top of Greppon and then end up back at Collons.

It may well be a little snow head trip
snow report
Steve Sparks,

You're correct, I highjacked the original thread after it strayed onto Verbier. I will be staying in Thollon with easy access onto the autoroute from Montreux to Martigny so essentially the same question but from a different starting point. I'm not adverse to the concept of skiing and beer but a word of warning. Last April my friend I normally ski with was driving back from Chatel when he was pulled in for a random breath test which luckily he passed or I guess they would have taken his license/car on the spot. As he was skiing alone he hadnt pursued our normal routine of morning beer, lunchtime beer, afternoon beer etc.

Thanks for the route, I will study the map .
ski holidays
homphomp,

From Sion I think you could be putting your ski boots on well within 30mins at Collons....
Evolene under 45mins
Arolla 1 hr
Zinal/Grimentz, 45mis and Cran M the same.

Just ball-park really from looking on the map
snow conditions
JT, It took me 20mins to get to Veysonnaz when I was there in Jan.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steve Sparks, homphomp, otherwise the 4 Valley Rally in reverse.

Start in Thyon or Mayen de l'Ours and hoon over to Verbier where you can do lunch at any number of venues (Chez Dany, Cabane de Tortin, Cabane de Montfort...) before hooning back again - finishing with a Super G run down the Piste de l'Ours to ensure that the legs are well and truly used! Just make sure the lunch does not run on too long - a taxi back from Verbier or Veysonnaz is expensive.
latest report
Roads clear we can normally do the drive up to Les Collons in 20min, parking is bad at the weekends though so get up early. The new high speed 4 man Etherolla chair (instead of a 2 man) will help getting the links quicker. Drive straight to LC 1850 and take the Petit Valon draglift.If you are staying in the Printze sector my favourite run is the long red down to the bottom of the Vessoynez bubble. A lot more fun than the Piste de l'ours which always seemed to be in the shade.

The link back to LC is a long narrow road, marked as a read if I remember but not too bad.

Other options I fancy further up the valley are Evolynne and one day when I get hit with a magic you can actually ski stick, Arrola

Roll on Feb and Easter
snow conditions
Agenterre wrote:

From the hotel Nendaz is 'just up the hill' as it were ... by far your closest option but parking in Nendaz is bad unless you get up very early. Id probably drive ( or take the Post bus) to Siviez which is only a couple of Kms further ( and better parking) and then the 4 Valllees is your oyster .. musch better than starting in Verbier!

edit - and despite what has been claimed earlieron this thread almost as fast to ski to Verbier from Siviez as drive there ( even Zermatt might be closer!)

We stayed in Nendaz two years ago and snow conditions were not great for skiing to Siviez, so we drove everyday to Siviez. Parking is excellent and free, providing you get there earlyish i.e before 09:00. You can then get to the Verbier skiing much quicker than from Verbier itself as Argenterre says. Queues for the Siviez to Nendaz bus were horrendous but we sailed by in the car. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Powderhound wrote:
Agenterre, it's not mine either... and I wouldn't stay in Sion!

Is that because you don't do valley towns or because there's something wrong with Sion?? We've got plenty of time to change our minds.....
ski holidays
homphomp, as a base to ski a different resort every day Sion is ideal. But as a holiday destination, the Ibis, Sion is not in the most attractive part of town.

If your primary concern is relative ease of access to lots of different places, then I reckon it's a good choice. If however,you want to be able to walk out of the hotel and find lots of bars & restaurants, then it won't suit you.
snow report
homphomp, I know it's big and obvious, but if you've not already been to Zermatt you really do have to go.
ski holidays
homphomp, I would base myself out of a valley town (Chamonix/Banff/Cortina/Courmayeur) but find that Sion is not the most charming of them (the Rhone valley is pretty industrial) although the centre is not bad. The Ibis location is not ideal though...

There is a lot of scope for good day trips and you can get to plenty of small places swiftly, but not much else to do or see in the evenings in town. Bains de Saillon and another spa that escape my mind are quite near though so depending on what you like doing you may find things to do.

All these things are subjective of course. Horses for courses and all that...
latest report
Thought I ought to follow this up with a "Thanks for the Advice we had a great time" post. I took a print of all your advice with me and we used it every day to plan where we were off too next!

Day 1 - Anzere. A nice place for a day trip, easy free parking on the outskirts of the village served by a free navette. Enough piste to keep us interested for the day, all in all a good start to the break.

Day 2 - Veysonnaz/Thyon. Parking in Veysonnaz was a bit of a trek from the lift, on balance I think we'd have done better heading up the road a bit further and parking by the Ours Blanc...you live and learn. Did not try and make it over to Verbier as it seemed too far....next time maybe. We particularly enjoyed the two reds down to the bubbles (Veysonnaz and Ours Blanc) another good day out.

Day 3 - Evolene. What a lovely chocolate box village! Great drive up the valley topped of by a rubbish access road to the lift...but free parking. Tiny ski area above the village....really wild and deserted over on the alpiette (sp?) sector, you could feel like the only person on the mountain! A bit on the small side if you're an on piste skier but lots of nice off piste sections between the runs made this a good day trip.

Day 4 - St Luc/Chandolin. Hmmm....horrible drive up the valley, narrow cliff edge stuff, and pay parking which was a trek from the lift. Don't think that we would do any of the resorts up this valley as day trips again. Still, we had a fun day on the slopes, didn't get much of a look at Chandolin as the weather pulled in and it's rather bleak up here when the wind and snow are in full flow! Gave it up about 3.30 and went home for early beers!

Day 5 - Crans Montana. A foot of fresh and nasty driving conditions we decided on Crans M as we could get there on the funicular from Sierre. This was easy to do once we found it (they seem to want keep its presence a secret by not signing it!) and the views over the Valais from the funicular were fabulous. The lift system at Crans M seemed to cope perfectly well with the hoards of people looking to have fun in the fresh snow on New Years Day...the only bottlenecks were for the gondolas from the bottom. Without the fresh snow the pistes would probably have been in a pretty ropey state....some places still were even with the new coating. Not a place to go unless there's been a recent dump.

The Ibis at Sion was better than expected....the room was typical Ibis, but you wouldn't expect anything less. The bar was welcoming and the restaurant served excellent food at good value prices. It was a 30 minute stroll to town so we had no problems heading out for a change of scenery and Sion has a nice range of restaurants to choose from.

All in all I'd recommend Sion to anyone else who likes the valley town experience and is happy to make seeing a variety of places and the road trips there and back part of their skiing experience. Not the place to go for full on apres ski or if you are a first lift/last lift type of person.
ski holidays
homphomp, That road will be the saving of the valley ....IMV. Grimentz and Zinal are better places for car parking altho I have heard the main car park in Zinal now charges...

I'd forgotten about this thread..we could have upadted a few more tips re parking and stuff
snow conditions
Glad you had a good time! Happy New Year...
ski holidays
 brian
brian
homphomp wrote:
TDay 4 - St Luc/Chandolin. Hmmm....horrible drive up the valley, narrow cliff edge stuff, and pay parking which was a trek from the lift.

Ah, music to my ears. Laughing

If anybody else is daft enough to fancy the dodgy road, t-bars, etc. etc. of St Luc/Chandolin then keep going through St Luc and park at the foot of the Tsapé chair in Chandolin. It's still pay parking but only a couple of quid a day and you're likely to get a space pretty near the lift.
snow conditions
Did a day in Grachen on the 28th of December, lovely little place with some interesting reds at the top. Bloody cold tho.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy