Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort for non skiing member of party

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking for a resort which offers something for my non skiing wife (she likes to walk and sketch/paint). We have been to Les Gets a number of times and love it - very pretty, good walks, lots of trees & stunning views etc, but I'm worried about snow coverage for first week in April 2009. So... can anyone recommend a good looking resort with reliable snow for early April? I was thinking about Avoriaz - good snow but I don't think it will be a patch on Les Gets for how it looks and things to see and walk to whilst I'm on the slopes. Cost is a consideration too... Any help appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What about Zermatt ? I know it has a reputation for being expensive but I have been there twice and you can find good value. No problem with reliable snow in April and some stunning views. Your wife can even ride up to the glacier on the cable cars. I haven't been to Avoriaz, but from what I've read it isn't too picturesque.

Almost forgot, there is also access to the mountains by train and your wife could also do a day trip to Saas Fee where there are some great walks and mountain scenery.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd recommend Wengen. You can get out of Wengen (both up and down) by train, and the scenery is spectacular.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rich.ll, I would also go along with that, as I did Wengen and Zermatt last year. Eiger or Matterhorn, tough choice. Do them both. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for that. Haven't heard of Wengen before. Have searched the net - it has some good reviews but some have said snow is not that reliable. Is that your experience or do you think it will be ok in April? Cheers.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Flamenco, Monetier-les-Bains, lots of fantastic walks, scenery,hot springs, bus to Briancon, a world heritage site. More info on my website (see signature)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Saas Fee is very nice and has very reliable snow
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rich.ll wrote:
I'd recommend Wengen. You can get out of Wengen (both up and down) by train, and the scenery is spectacular.
Yes Wengen would be great as there are loads of marked walking trails right into ski area,and scenery is spectacular and would be great for an artist.You could even take train up to top and meet the skiers for lunch.Not a lot to do in town,but rest makes up for that.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Apologies if this sounds like apartment owners bias, it really isn't meant to. I have spent time in both Wengen and Monetier-les-Bains as a non-skier (weather related), and there is certainly more to do in Monetier.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Flamenco wrote:
I am looking for a resort which offers something for my non skiing wife (she likes to walk and sketch/paint). We have been to Les Gets a number of times and love it - very pretty, good walks, lots of trees & stunning views etc, but I'm worried about snow coverage for first week in April 2009. So... can anyone recommend a good looking resort with reliable snow for early April? I was thinking about Avoriaz - good snow but I don't think it will be a patch on Les Gets for how it looks and things to see and walk to whilst I'm on the slopes. Cost is a consideration too... Any help appreciated.

Try Chamonix - it's a big year-round town (more visitors in the summer than winter) with great facilities: a huge municipal pool with slides and saunas, indoor tennis, an ice rink; multiscreen cinemas and art galleries; loads of shops etc. The scenery's spectacular: at least the equal of Zermatt and Wengen, and plenty of the lifts are designed for pedestrians as much as skiers (e.g. the Aiguille du Midi has a restaurant at 3,800m right next to Mont Blanc; there are mountain trains up to the "Sea of Ice" and up and down the valley. There's a huge range of restaurants (at least 100 in the main town) and plenty of bars to choose from. It's an "impact" resort in an amazing setting with loads of history (the "birthplace of mountaineering" etc) and is also a short drive from great places like Annecy and Courmayeur in Italy, both of which are cracking towns. Paul
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Serre Chevalier.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont, Lizzard, Hopefully after this winter I'll be agreeing with you Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Why not come over the hill to Morzine. Les Gets is on the edge of the system, Morzine is more central, easy access to Avoriaz for the skiers. And we now have a bus service (1 euro per trip) down the valley as far as Le Jotty, so days out for her indoors to walk and paint some of the pretty hamlets.
http://www.valleedaulps.com/tourism_vallee_d_aulps_hiver_anglais.html
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ppaulus, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another vote for Chamonix (A must do in your life) Took my non skiing parents and non skiing grand parents for a week last March and they loved it,so much to do and see wink
ski holidays
Flamenco, Iwould be careful of going to Wengen late in the season as they're apparently not allowed to make snow after 1st March. Walking would be great for your wife, but there's not much else to do. Either Zermatt or Serre Chevalier would be excellent, but Zermatt is prettier. Your wife can also go very high on the cable car system at Zermatt and see (and sketch) the Matterhorn from altitude - all without skiing. BTW: why doesn't she ski??
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy