Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

January lads trip suggestions

Poster: A snowHead
Hi I am looking to book the annual lads trip and want to equal or better last years experience in Soll. Six chaps in forties seeking good skiing, and apres. Travelling in January or March. We can all ski now so I suppose its about the night life. Soll was good, but a tad young and laddish, so if you have any suggestions please let me know. First pre season post this what a great feeling Very Happy Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We're off to Schladming in January with Crystal ski for the night during the world cup mens slalom.

Here's a thread that will give you some info........ http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=929690&highlight=schladming#929690
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mfamily2, are you looking for Austria again? If not, what kind of nightlife would be more your scene?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mfamily2 wrote:
We can all ski now so I suppose its about the night life.

Not sure I quite understand that... Puzzled

now you can ski, wouldn't it be more about the skiing? As my skiing has improved (and as I've aged Sad ) time on the mountain had become more precious and time in bed with a hangover seems like a waste.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
red 27 wrote:
mfamily2 wrote:

now you can ski, wouldn't it be more about the skiing? As my skiing has improved (and as I've aged Sad ) time on the mountain had become more precious and time in bed with a hangover seems like a waste.
Have to agree with you on that one,the older you get the less skiing time you have,make the most of it.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How about Bad Gastein - old world charm, hot natural spring baths, extensive skiing up to 2.655 m high and it is is one of Austria’s most traditional resorts. Or Ellmau- SkiWelt Wilder Kaiser-Brixental, Tirol Austria's largest connected ski area, incorporating 9 villages from Going, Ellmau, Soell, Hopfgarten, Itter to Westendorf. This area is only 7 km from St. Johann and 18 km from Kitzbuehl and offers 250 km of slopes. Outstandingly maintained downhill runs at all levels of difficulty, broad slopes, an ultramodern infrastructure to ensure a top standard of comfort and convenience, and speedy transport without long waiting periods. Snow is guaranteed thanks to the ideal northwest location and snowmaking facilities
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mfamily2, Ive been going an annual boys trip to St Anton since 2003 and have not considered anywhere else as we've pretty much found valhalla. We range from 37 (me at the youngest) to 60, with average abge being late 40's. The skiing is great, but probably the main reason for going is the apres ski. It rocks. From around 3 in the afternoon everyone starts congregating in several large pubs up the slopes and stay there till 7ish, ski down in the dark to the village then either continue or do the sensible thing and get dinner. Check out this German guy at the Mooserwirt - one of the funniest clips I've seen http://uk.youtube.com/v/mYjO1Vvoa5E - can probably sympathise with him, although I've not quite been as bad as that! I never thought I would like cheesy apres ski music, but for some reason after a few (magnificant) beers at the Mooserwirt you find yourself singing along - effing magic.

Don't know what your ski abilities are but St Antons slopes are undergraded, ie some blues are verging on black in places, but some of the blacks are actually pretty easy. If you are a cautious skiers, then the Rendl area is great for you, as is Lech and Zurs which are abot 20 mins away.

Here's the St Anton website http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/winter/ViewPage.asp?Site=STANTON2-WINTER&PageID=206&lang=201 which is good for finding rooms etc. Best airport is Innsbruck at just over an hour away. This website also good for the lowdown http://www.st-antonamarlberg.co.uk/index.htm

Ischgl could also tick the boxes but never been there so can only go on what other people have told me.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It sounds like you will appreciate St Anton or Sauze d'Oulx.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
st anton, has great slopes and a good apres ski - i went at the start of April this year and was on most nights to watch champions league football in all the busy pubs! most of the clubs were open till 3/4 am as well!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
red 27 wrote:
mfamily2 wrote:

Who mentioned lying in bed with a hang over?

Also getting older hopefully means more time to enjoy this type of trip which will involve long days on the slopes and hopefully if we find the right resort, lots of beer and good company.

Also despite having reached the ripe old age of 46, my knees are still working fine and I am resisting the urge to slow down just yet

cheers Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mfamily2, how about Saalbach, plenty of skiing and apres ski there...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ski-finder wrote:
mfamily2, how about Saalbach, plenty of skiing and apres ski there...

I'll second that. Some of the best skiing in Austria, less crowded than Sankt Anton and great apres-ski. What more could you want... Good second choice would be Ischgl.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've been going on an annual boys trip since 1989. Tried several resorts including St. Anton and Solden. both famed for their apres ski but for the last twelve years or so it has always been to Ischgl. Why? Lovely village, reliable snow, great lift system, large ski area but, most of all. apres ski that is not of this world. I know a lot of people who have been to both St. Anton and Ischgl and they all rate Ischgl better for night life. The first time I went I couldn't believe it and, to some extent, still can't but I'll leave it to you find out.
As for people mentioning hangovers, Austrian beer is brewed under strict purification laws - no chemicals = no hangover. Just don't try the Stroh 80!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Ischgl. Why? Lovely village, reliable snow, great lift system, large ski area but, most of all. apres ski that is not of this world. I know a lot of people who have been to both St. Anton and Ischgl and they all rate Ischgl better for night life. The first time I went I couldn't believe it and, to some extent, still can't but I'll leave it to you find out.
Seconded
Quote:

As for people mentioning hangovers, Austrian beer is brewed under strict purification laws - no chemicals = no hangover.
So true... although I wouldn't say NO hangover
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fair point. No chemicals = a bit of a hangover.
snow conditions
Been to Ischgl once for the day. Aprés so good we stayed late...skiing was fantastic in April and it was the 'cr*p' season a couple of years ago, too Cool
latest report
Ischgl lives up to all the hype. Had a similar experience as sharkymark. Planned on staying for one day but ended up getting so sloshed we stayed for two more. The "eye-candy" is definitely worth a look (and a touch if you're lucky)! I will say the lift system is kind of like disneyland, actually a messy eye-sore in my opinion, so its not my favorite place to ride. I'd head to Val d'Isere in a heartbeat! The riding is top-notch and the nightlife equals, and probably surpasses, its reputation for world-class skiing. This is a cool package that might be up your alley. Tons of like-minded, on-hill and apres oriented travelers, plus its cheaper than anything else I've found, http://action-outdoors.co.uk/resort_valdisere.aspx

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 21-10-08 11:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I'm a bit surprised - doesn't action-outdoors go to Ischgl then?? Confused wink
ski holidays
peakseason wrote:
Ischgl lives up to all the hype. Had a similar experience as sharkymark. Planned on staying for one day but ended up getting so sloshed we stayed for two more. The "eye-candy" is definitely worth a look (and a touch if you're lucky)! I will say the lift system is kind of like disneyland, actually a messy eye-sore in my opinion, so its not my favorite place to ride. I'd head to Val d'Isere in a heartbeat! The riding is top-notch and the nightlife equals, and probably surpasses, its reputation for world-class skiing. This is a cool package that might be up your alley. Tons of like-minded, on-hill and apres oriented travelers, plus its cheaper than anything else I've found, http://action-outdoors.co.uk/resort_valdisere.aspx

Peakseason if you are connected in some way to action-outdoors, it would be upfront to say so. If not, apologies, but you do seem to tout their services very regularly......
snow report
I am not sure what peakseason means by a messy lift system in Ischgl. It's got lots of efficient high speed chairs accessing lots of varied terrain so I think it's great. Ischgl village is also a great resort to stay in, lots of nightlife, but high standard accommodation too.

As mooted above, Saalbach would also be a good option for your group.

D
snow report
Can only fond one post from peakseason that doesn't include a link. Hmmmmmm is Val d'spair the new La Ros?
snow report
Bode Swiller, I've thought about going to Ischgl for a few years now, instead of St Anton, but I've heard about loads of Russian mafia types now starting to take over (this is coming from my neighbours boss who was there this year), and this has put me off to an extent. Is this true or did he just have an unlucky experience? Noticed that there were a lot more in Lech this year too - maybe they can't get into Courcheval Laughing
ski holidays
cathy wrote:
I'm a bit surprised - doesn't action-outdoors go to Ischgl then?? Confused wink

Ah, glad to see peakseason has edited their post to add the action-outdoors link rolling eyes Obviously not a great fan of irony then Madeye-Smiley

Peakseason - spamming such as yours tends to have a negative effect and you are doing no service to action-outdoors at all. Never mind the smack on the bottom you'll get from admin.
snow report
boabski wrote:
Bode Swiller, I've thought about going to Ischgl for a few years now, instead of St Anton, but I've heard about loads of Russian mafia types now starting to take over (this is coming from my neighbours boss who was there this year), and this has put me off to an extent. Is this true or did he just have an unlucky experience?

I've heard this too from a group of lads who went to Ischgl two years ago instead of St Anton again. This year they are trying Zermatt.
latest report
Or for something a bit different, you could try Mammoth Mountain... and then on to Vegas for a weekend?! About a 4 hour drive between the two - fly to Vegas or LA.

Erm, closer to home Val d'Isere has one or two lively nighteries...
snow report
boabski wrote:
Bode Swiller, I've thought about going to Ischgl for a few years now, instead of St Anton, but I've heard about loads of Russian mafia types now starting to take over (this is coming from my neighbours boss who was there this year), and this has put me off to an extent. Is this true or did he just have an unlucky experience? Noticed that there were a lot more in Lech this year too - maybe they can't get into Courcheval Laughing
Didn't notice more or less Russians than most other places really, apart from Russia of course. Depends which week your boss was there... if it co-incided with Russian New Year then they will be everywhere. As it happens I quite like them, find their grumpy ways quite interesting and their women help loosen up your neck muscles whilst walking to the lifts... if you know what I mean. I doubt they are mafia, more likely just successful-ish business peeps. Worth giving them a quick здравствулте! - always helps break the ice. Anyway, what could be worse than a bunch of chavvy oiks from the UK? "'ere we go, 'ere we go..."
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, Smile
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, Can't remember what week it was but basically they would go into a hotel bar only to find that most of the tables had been reserved. Then a youngish guy with bodyguards would come in and pretty much clear the place of all males and leave the nice looking women, paying the bar staff €30,000 in the process. Also loads of blacked out Rolls Royce Phantoms, again with bodyguards etc. You're probably right though, beats neds (Scottish for chav) any day of the week.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy