Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving into Switzerland

Poster: A snowHead
Next March, after years of self drive/self catering in 3 Valleys, Espace Killy & Grand Massif, we are breaking with tradition and going to Switzerland. My question is this. With Switzerland being a non EU country, is it OK to load the car up with as much food and wine as we can squeeze into it at a French Hypermarket & nonchalantly drive through the border or do the Swiss customs take a dim view of such a practice? Puzzled

I'd also welcome lots of positive comments on how good the skiing is in the Printze area of the 4 valleys as the decision to go there has been made more on the quality/price of the chalet (including the colour of the kitchen units) rather than any knowledge of the mountains!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Roger King, why bother, MIGROS is good value.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Simple answer is no. They will most likely search you car, and it's not worth the incredible fines. That said, you can bring in goods just to a certain limit...

http://www.traveldocs.com/ch/customs.htm

Only 2l-3 of alcohol Shock

There goes that plan...

So ya... better just go to MIGROS
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's actually quite a restrictive list isn't it. I wasn't aware of that when I drove through Switzerland from France (and back from Italy) last summer, not sure whether I'd have been within the limits. They seemed more interested in Motorway Vignettes though. Add their restriction on Satnav's which store POI's/speed camera locations too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Roger King, My advice advice is to buy a Motorway Vignette before hand and they will wave you through without stopping you. Works for me. snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Colin B,
Quote:

Add their restriction on Satnav's which store POI's/speed camera locations too.

Am I going to have a problem driving into Switzerland with my TomTom then - yikes! I was banking on it getting me there!! Please tell me more.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, Take a look at this thread
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, I've driven into Switzerland three time with my TomTom without a problem. I was asked at Rotterdam after getting of the ferry whether it was only a GPS and not a radar detector, the only time I have been asked. The policeman was ok when I said it was GPS only. As I said earlier, if you buy your Vignette before hand, they will probably wave you through the Swiss border without stopping you. I suppose if they did stop you, they might inquire whether you had speed camera info on your TomTom, but I doubt that they would follow it up if you said no.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Colin B, Thanks a lot for that - I hadn't seen the thread. I followed the link to TT web site - it said my TT shouldn't have been shipped with Switz speed cameras, but I checked anyway and couldn't find them - so I think I'm probably OK. I did also remove the German ones jsut to be on the safe side too as that other thread suggested that those too were illegal.

I assume the presence of a satnav without the camera locations is fine on the continent and that you can still use them for finding your way?

In fact I am astonished at how easily I become a satnav convert - it is making a huge difference to my lone trips in the car to see clients and deliver goats to new owners etc. It is also brilliant on unlit strange roads in the dark to gain some appreciation of the lie of the road. I used to not give them any time whatsoever - I was so wrong!! Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David L wrote:
Roger King, why bother, MIGROS is good value.

Compared to the EU Migros is extortionate !!

An Example 1kg of fillet Chicken in Holland costs around €6.00 in Migros it is over €15 !!

http://www.leshop.ch/leshop/Main.do?rnd=0.10538754157531283&referrer=http%3A//www.migros-shops.ch/%3Fid%3D3%26lang%3Dfr

Aldi opened a store just across the border in Germany (Basel) and Migros suffrered a 50% loss of customers !!

However, I do confess to use Migros Supermarket restaurants to get a relatively cheap good meal. Last year I was in Migros in Bern & shared a table with the American Ambasador. He told me he reguarly had his dinner there because it was such a rip-off everywhere else in Bern, I had to agree !!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stanton wrote:

Aldi opened a store just across the border in Germany (Basel) and Migros suffrered a 50% loss of customers !!

I've shopped there, and yes we got stopped at the border in a swiss car Sad
Near that aldi is the carhaart skate park, awesome place, they even lent me a board because I forgot mine.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
geepee wrote:
Roger King, My advice advice is to buy a Motorway Vignette before hand and they will wave you through without stopping you. Works for me. snowHead

May work for you but I don't think that's great advice... It really depennds on which border you go through and what for a mood the guy is in... I for example got stopped when going to Switzerland last time I drove there and had my car thoroughly searched. They thought I was smuggling cigarettes...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Everyone I know who lives in Geneva does their shopping in France!! It's common practice isn't it?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We often shop in Germany, especially for meat which, as stanton, says, is very expensive in CH - although also extremely good quality. The borders are a bit of a lottery but as long as you don't want to ship your own booze in, which is cheap if bought in a supermarket (not Migros, though, it doesn't have a licence) particularly in Denner, you will be fine. They also have a no-dairy policy to protect the subsistence farming that is still the staple of many.

I regularly get stopped but have never been searched. A cheerful Guten Tag (or Gruezi if you're feeling brave) and no fumbling for your docs and they will let you through. If your lights are broken, your car is filthy, you're wearing your greasy hair in a ponytail under a baseball cap, the suspension is creaking with the weight of the load or you look generally undesirable (being Eastern European would count as far as the protective Swiss are concerned) then you may be in for a grilling. Don't give them the chance...

G'luck!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I went to the Migros near Geneva airport one day, but never again. I found it not only expensive but also disorganised and generally a poor shopping experience. However the cafeteria in the same building is super value, as Stanton suggests. I have mostly crossed on the Bernex border crossing on the motorway from France. I normally have a vignette but on occasions have had to stop and buy one. we've never had any problem with customs there, but I have seen some cars being absolutely taken apart. They generally seem to be fast expensive cars driven by smartly dressed young men. Tatty old Brits seem to have an easier time. But a litre of spirits per adult should last a week, anyway! wink
snow report
Quote:

But a litre of spirits per adult should last a week, anyway!

really???
ski holidays
my litres must be smaller then..

All the swiss my g/f works with do all their shopping and petrol buying over the border in Germany
latest report
Petrol?? I doubt it. The cheapest petrol in Western Europe is in CH - currently at CHF 1.70, about 80p.
snow report
I must have driven over the Swiss boarder 50 times in the last 4 years and (touch wood) have never been searched or even questioned, all they seem interested in is, do you have a vignette.
latest report
I went to Geneva from morzine a month ago. I forgot my passport and didn't think of it till I has in switerland. On the way back the douanne were stoping cars and checking the boots but this was for vehicles entering france from switzerland. Luckily I didn't get stopped!
snow report
Quote:

driven over the Swiss boarder 50 times

That's a touch excessive however much you despise snowboarders!
ski holidays
Thanks for the useful information everyone. Not sure if I am actually any more sure of my plans though. I always feel very much at home in French supermarkets so Migros (of whom I'd never heard) will be a new experience. Any knowledge of the skiing around Thyon? Is it true that it is a mountain covered in T bars?
snow report
RobinS, Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow report
Quote:

my litres must be smaller then..

A litre of spirits contains 40 units of alcohol. So even if you drink nothing else during the week, you’re way over the recommended level of 28 units a week for men, 21 for women. Adding a modest half a bottle of wine a night and one pint of beer a day will mean you are drinking 91 units of alcohol. Few people will stick to the recommended limits on holiday but even so, I think that being 3 or 4 times over the limit should be enough for all but the most dedicated binge drinkers. wink
ski holidays
pam w, we'll have to let you off, given the time in the morning that you wrote that post, but I think that the fun police have their own forum...

Maybe the all night session has driven you to get on the wagon - you know what they say about the reformed! wink
snow report
Roger King, I skied in Thyon 2000 about 20 years ago (so am happy for my knowledge to be out of date) - the skiing was excellent. The resort was not so much a resort as a ski station, very quiet at night, pedestrianised from what I recall. There WERE a number of drags, again AFAIR, and wide cruising pistes. The views were spectacular though. Sorry can't be more helpful, but it WAS a long time ago!
snow conditions
Powderhound wrote:
Petrol?? I doubt it. The cheapest petrol in Western Europe is in CH - currently at CHF 1.70, about 80p.

Er, where? But agreed, much much cheaper than in Germany a couple of weeks ago

Migros is dry by its articles of association (the founder was a teetoller) which is why there's usually a Denner or PickPay next door. Wine by the case in those is usually pretty reasonably priced
ski holidays
eng_ch,

Quote:
Er, where?

Not in Kanton Zurich I'm afraid!! Too many bankers (and insurance salesmen) to support nowadays!!

Twisted Evil wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Powderhound wrote:
Not in Kanton Zurich I'm afraid!! Too many bankers (and insurance salesmen) to support nowadays!!

Twisted Evil wink

Bum, didn't think it was the Shell by us! Although I did hear a report that the Richti Coop is down to 1.75
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy