Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prices in Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone provide any info on prices in Tignes this year, or last as an idea. Beer. shorts, taxis, meals, etc?

Much obliged

Steve
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Most likely Expensive, Expensive, Expensive, Expensive and probably expensive.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I felt like I had been raped when I paid for a lemonade at the restaurant at the top of the Gondola from Le Lac. Went on a bar crawl with €150 woke up with a few coin in my pocket & a cracking hangover - I hope I enjoyed it. Didn't have much use for a taxi & & only ate out for dinner once as was in a catered chalet. Had a nice lunch at Marmots (?). Was brilliant skiing though & you can choose how much you spend on food & drinkv- you can go out on the lash or fill up on chalet wine & supermarket beer or perhaps even abstain, not that I would.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
oddly bottled water is fantastically cheap- I wonder why?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
not too bad, come in for a drink and i`ll give snowheads reduced prices, 4.50 for a pint, pukka pies at 5 and give advice where to go and not get raped
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kariaapartments wrote:
Can anyone provide any info on prices in Tignes this year, or last as an idea. Beer. shorts, taxis, meals, etc?

Much obliged

Steve
When we were there free busses ran all the time so no need for taxis,we always bought a bug jug of beer and shared,as for eating out,there are cheaper places if you hunt around,oh by the way the skiing is great.Enjoy.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Large beer 6 euro
5.50 for a plate of chips
5 for a coke
Many places have an early doors happy hour. Try the Loop, Jam. And Alpaca in le Lac.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kariaapartments, Whilst I was there, Loop happy hour was early doors apres ski and 2 for 1 on kronenbourg and bottles of toffee vodka for €15. most other places have happy hour too, but it was Loop Loop Loop for me... I did happen to sample some kind of offers on cocktails in Alpaka which were pretty amazing, I think I bought a cocktail and got a free shot or something along those lines...

Wherever you go, it's quite pricey so make sure you take advantage of happy hours and special offer nights, pick up a copy of 'the mountain echo' free magazine available in most bars which will let you know whats happening!

Enjoy it!
George
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not just Tignes, but all the Mega resorts.

My favourite was ADH last year, a group of 4 us went into a mountain restaurant for lunch and spent 150 euro between us, which I think is quite enough for lunch thank you very much. After leaving the table 2 went to the bathroom and 2 of us went outside to wait on the deckchairs. No sooner had we sat down the waiter came along and asked if we wanted a drink I said no thank-you, my friend said I'll have a lemonade. The waiter asked regular or large, he replied large please (He is from Manchester after all wink ). The waiter came back with a Beer Keller sized glass full of ice and cheap lemonade ........... 13 Euro's sil vous plait and the cheeky B*****D expected a tip.

Buyer beware Razz Razz Razz Razz

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 20-10-08 0:38; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alpaka Lodge wrote:
not too bad, come in for a drink and i`ll give snowheads reduced prices, 4.50 for a pint, pukka pies at 5 and give advice where to go and not get raped

BARGAIN wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alpaka Lodge wrote:

Snowheads have receivd a discount in the Alpka for the past 3 seasons Little Angel Come on a Monday night and you also get some FREE nibbles + it's champagne night. Champagne and chps is a favourite of some locals rolling eyes

The prices in Tignes & other resorts are generally cheaper than most city centers but they can't match £1.95 for a pint of Tetleys like my local club Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stewart woodward, at £1.66 a pint (ex vat) that is nearly wholesale cost, ah wait, it is Tetleys we are talking about, so a fair price then Laughing wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Taxis?
Use the free resort bus - runs 24hrs/day. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers everyone, least I know which classification of credit card to take? £5 a beer! I only budgeted for £100 per day, guess I'm fortunate to have booked full board?

Steve
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boredsurfing wrote:
stewart woodward, at £1.66 a pint (ex vat) that is nearly wholesale cost, ah wait, it is Tetleys we are talking about, so a fair price then Laughing wink

Tetley's, John's & Stones all about the same price also petrol at 96.9p/Lit Blush Oh the joy's of the NORTH wink
snow report
Hi Steve (kariaapartments). Honestly, deals on apres in France are seemingly hard to come-by, especially in one of the world's largest ski areas. The holiday I booked last season with www.action-outdoors.co.uk seemed to be the best way to experience Tignes on the cheap. Actually, most of the holidays I book anymore (2 or 3 per season) go through them much in part to the free meals and the fact that everywhere they set me up to stay has a bar in the building with less expensive prices than town bars and its always full of like-minded travelers. If nothing else, its a good place to start the apres party from, and the town center bars/clubs are literally right down the street. In fact, the bars are so close to the accomodation you could walk to them in a t-shirt in the middle of winter...yeah you might be cold, but throw back a few shots and add a little "vin chaud" and you're all set!
latest report
peakseason, do you have a connection with action-outdoors? It's just that 3 of your 4 posts are recommendations for them. You should be up front if you do have an interest there. Of course you might just be so highly impressed with them that they're all you want to talk about wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
hi cathy. i guess i didn't even realize my zeal for "advertising" for the folks at A-O. But to answer your question, my recommendations come purely from admiration for what they've accomplished as far as helping people play in the hills for cheap. I'm from the states originally and riding in europe is very much of an unattainable prospect for many US skiers/riders, or at least it used to be. I randomly came across their site one day while looking for all-inclusive deals (all-inclusive without strings attached is relatively hard to find on either side of the atlantic). As for my background, I've been skiing/riding for 25 years and worked throughout the snowsports world in multiple capacities, as well as quite a few years doing nothing but living the life of a ski/board bum hopping from beautiful mountain area to the next. I suppose the fact that my lifestyle, like so many others who participate in these forums, caused me to sacrifice much of my financial stability to basically "ride the world." Ultimately, I have lived a charmed life in many regards wherein much of my equipment, lift tix, travel, etc. has become very affordable based on prodeals, etc. It was a bit different coming from a place where I am relatively well-connected to a european ski scene wherein i did not know a soul and my "credentials" in the industry meant very little. In a nutshell, the folks at action-outdoors made my first (and subsequent) trips to the French Alps (which are perhaps my favorite mountains in Europe based on the challenging and vast terrain) so affordable that even an american board bum could afford them. The more I researched holiday providers around the globe I found that the deals at A-O really can't be beaten these days for quality budget travel. My only issue with them is that they don't book flights (at least not regularly as far as I know) which would ultimately give more americans and canadians the chance to ride places like Chamonix or the Espace Killy (Val and Tignes). If you're not up to speed on holiday deals in the states, i can honestly say that a-o packages cost less (even with a transatlantic flight) than a person in New York for instance would pay for a week in Aspen or Vail. Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted you (and anyone else for that matter) to understand my perspective toward A-O. They made it easy for me to enjoy affordable winter holidays, so I figured I'd pass along the good karma...that's kind of what these forums should be about in my opinion. BTW, if you're looking for some tips on where to go in the states, i'd be glad to point you in the right direction. Have a good one and happy travels!
snow report
peakseason, so why in this thread where the question was about advice for Lake Tahoe did you recommend Flaine with Action Outdoors? http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1043391#1043391

And in this thread give advice for Val d'Isere and Action Outdoors when the thread is about Ischgl? http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1043391#1043391

Pimping of companies/resorts tends to get ridiculed - why don't you post about something else other than AO?? Replies to a question should be more or less relevant - if someone's asking about Lake Tahoe they don't expect to get answers about Flaine! All you're doing is putting off people using them - well you're putting me off anyway, even though I am going with them in January!
snow report
^ they do seem very cheap though...

... I'll get me coat wink
snow conditions
kariaapartments,

Quote:

£5 a beer! I only budgeted for £100 per day

That's what I like to see - a man's man who can budget for 20 pints a day - and no doubt still be on the first lift every morning!!

Must admit, I'm more a couple of halves of Kaliber shandy man myself.... wink

Anyway, it's been posted on here before, but being presented with the bill at Grizzly's Bar @ Val Claret is enough to leave anyone except Roman Abramovich feeling violated - 8 euros for a 33cl bottle of beer Shocked Very nice bar though....
ski holidays
It's the first 15 that give me trouble. I'm normally fine after that? Looks like I will be giving the Grizzly's a wide berth! Just need some snow now and we should have a good outing.
snow conditions
kariaapartments, Grizzleys is worth a look in. As it's a shop too, you can just browse.

Just round the corner there's a Belgium place with an awsome beer collection. No idea of the price though - too much indulgence to remember Embarassed
ski holidays
Boredsurfing,
Quote:

stewart woodward, at £1.66 a pint (ex vat) that is nearly wholesale cost, ah wait, it is Tetleys we are talking about, so a fair price then

Cask Tetley's is pretty good if well kept. Not that creamflow/smoothflow crap
snow conditions
Well we are off tommorrow so on my return I'll let you know the average price of a tipple. Supposed to be getting some snow next week so at least the skiing should be ok?
snow report
There's plenty of snow on the glacier already (it was great this week) and that's all that will be open next week. Some new snow is always welcome, of course, but it looks much too cold..... brr. I wonder whether all the bars mentioned above will be open - the place is pretty quiet.
ski holidays
Thanks for that Pam. How were the queues? is the Funicular open?

Steve
snow report
kariaapartments, yes, the funicular will be open - it's the only way to get to the glacier (weather dependent of course). queues? first lifts will be full of racers.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah, I can second pam w, I've just got back from Tignes too and yes the snow was great on the glacier-I'd not skied on just the glacier before, I had only been to Tignes when the whole area was open previously and the snow was better than I expected it to be.

stewart woodward,
Quote:
also petrol at 96.9p/Lit
hurrah! I had to look twice when I filled up my car on the way to London Luton on Tuesday just outside Coventry, it was the first time I had got petrol in a week or two-99.9p per litre again at last-hope it keeps on going down a bit more. Do you go to the Alpaka Lodge after work? I've not been in there before, I'll be back in Tignes in 5 weeks so I will go and have a look. Are you back on Snowheads reguarly now you're back in Tignes?

Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:
Large beer 6 euro
5.50 for a plate of chips
5 for a coke

That is a very good description of prices there I would say. I had a large beer there on Friday and it was 5.50 Euro in the Taverne des Neiges and the chips were 5 Euros an' all. Great chips. Couldn't drink all the beer though will have a small one like I normally do next time. wink

kariaapartments, no queues this week. There was a huddle naturally waiting for the funicular when we would get there about 8.45am but not enough to pack the funicular out by any stretch of the imagination, plenty of seats available even with the racers going up. Pistes were very quiet. At many times our group were the only people skiing down at that point in time. Some of the pistes are closed for race training though as you'd expect. We would come down on the funicular to catch the minibus back to the chalet at about 3.15pm as I recall, but I can't be certain. pam w might remember.
snow report
Yes, I think the last funicular was 3pm. I was pleasantly surprised at how uncrowded it all was. No queues for the T bars, and loads of room on the non-racing pistes (because there were scarcely any ordinary punters up there; practically everyone on the mountain was a finely tuned professional athlete. 'cept us!
snow report
Just Got back. Thanks to all for your info. The skiing was tremendous. I think the queues were a little longer due to Half term, but nothing outrageous. The place we stayed at was fantastic as were the staff, but I'll post about that in another forum. First time there, but certainly not the last.

Steve
ski holidays
Tartiflette's just cost me 12 euro in a nice restaurant...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy