Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Birthday bash ideas

Poster: A snowHead
It's my fortieth birthday in mid April so I think I'll do some snowboarding/skiing. But as it is a birthday I'd like to do something a little different. Sadly, as I am not a millionaire, the fortnight's heli-riding somewhere exotic isn't going to happen. More realistically, it will be a long weekend dash to somewhere in Europe with some friends. I've had a few ideas...

1. Val Thorens but stay in the Chalet Refuge Plan Bouchet over in the fourth valley
2. Try ski in four countries in four days- Switzerland, Lichtenstein, Germany and Austria.
3. Somewhere Nordic and North - Riksgransen
4. Check out the Carpathian Mountains in Ukraine - (friend lives over there now)
5. Enjoy knee-deep powder in Scotland (honest, I did do it once at this time of year)
6. Skwalling, teleboarding and other strange hybrids in a french resort
7. Sierra Nevada or something mediteraenean - Cyprus? Greece? Sicily?
8. Chamonix back country with a guide

... but I thought that the wisdom of a snowy crowd might come up with somthing else that is that little bit different and memorable Your ideas
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How about a driving your own Dog sled team, followed by snowmobiling to a restaurant for dinner folowed by skiing back to your chalet in the dark with head torches! All possible (at a price) in La Plagne Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stay in the ice hotel in Zermatt?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SussexSnow, La Grave Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
second the idea of skiing at night - absolutely magical.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
masmith wrote:
Stay in the ice hotel in Zermatt?

Or Stay at THE Ice Hotel http://www.icehotel.com/

Organised that for my partners 40th Birthday. A trip you'll never forget - absolutely fantastic Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Folks,

Thanks for the ideas. Now, to find the icehotel at La Grave, reachable by husky dog. Night skiing: I did dawn boarding at La Bresse and that was super, run to yourself, super cold, groomed and smooth. That gives me an idea, to ride from 6am to 10pm there.....

Keep 'em coming!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Got married in THE Ice Hotel (see above). Absolutely (sorry, excuse the pun - that's the name of the bar's sponsor) fantastic experience. Didn't go skiing although I wanted to the day before but the missus to-be said if you do go skiing the day before our wedding don't bother coming back. I did try the "but I'm not supposed to see you before the wedding" line but it didn't cut much
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another vote for the Ice Hotel in Swedish Lapland - went there for my 40th. Amazing experience.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Other Ice Hotels are available, including the one in Engelberg, which combined with the hiring of a guide could mean some decent off piste as well....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For my "21st " Laughing birthday we stayed in Grindelwald and did the train up to the Jungfraujoch...magical, snowHead magical snowHead . It was a bit too early in the season to ski, but the views from the train and inside the Eiger were utterly stunning for someone who is not much of a mountaineer.

The Ice Hotel thing sounds pretty cool though... NehNeh
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sent off for the tourist board pack for Engelberg. So, I've been peering over the piste map and thinking about the hotels. huts at Trubsee. However, I am a bit skeptical about Engelberg's claim of 2000m vertical. It looks like their is a BIG flat bit at the Trubsee lake that sits between the upper mountain Titlis sector and the way down to the lower valley. Can you ski it in a oner? Anyone done it? Or do you have to do it via the Laub?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From your list, id go Chamonix backcountry with a guide.

Anything backcountry and steep id choose over piste stuff anyday Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Engelberg with guide would be unreal.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chasseur wrote:
Another vote for the Ice Hotel in Swedish Lapland - went there for my 40th. Amazing experience.

Surely it will have melted by now then....? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
valle blanche cham with a guide....
ski holidays
Schuss in Boots wrote:
Chasseur wrote:

Surely it will have melted by now then....? Toofy Grin

Nope - I checked before I made the recommendation - and they have vacancies!
snow report
Come on guys. A hotel is a hotel is a hotel. Ice or not
40th birthday? You gotta Do Something.
My suggestions:
1. The Tarentaise Tour
2. One day's Heli Skiing out of La Rosiere/La Thuille (
YouTube movie)
And as its April, don't waste those lovely warm thermals. Do something really different
3. Paraglide from Roche de Mio (La Plagne) to Courchevel
(BernardC reckons its possible - see here).
Now, that would be on hell of a weekend.
latest report
Paraglide.
ski holidays
SussexSnow wrote:
Sent off for the tourist board pack for Engelberg. So, I've been peering over the piste map and thinking about the hotels. huts at Trubsee. However, I am a bit skeptical about Engelberg's claim of 2000m vertical. It looks like their is a BIG flat bit at the Trubsee lake that sits between the upper mountain Titlis sector and the way down to the lower valley. Can you ski it in a oner? Anyone done it? Or do you have to do it via the Laub?

You can ski it in a oner from the top of Jochstock. The Titlis piste route involves hopping on the Trubsee hopper - a flat chair and a relatively flat ski out. I would be great to stay at Trubsee or Jochpass if conditions were good I think though it would mean you missing out on apres carnage in teh Yucatan.
ski holidays
Cool, will trace the piste map.
The tourist office brochure lists all the huts and hotels up the hill and there seems to be a few at Trubsee. Mini pub-crawl at altitude. Quite tempting to stay up the hill.
snow conditions
Was thinking about this the other day, altho not willing to wait for 40! Look into going to Lillehammer to do the skeleton/bobsleigh thing. Followed by a bit of skiing/boarding/snowmobiling. Or splash out and do the Cresta in St Moritz.
snow report
SussexSnow,

What about:

1. Bobsleigh at La Plagne, Innsbruck or Calgary? All open to the public.
2. An introductory ski tour with a guide (ie uphill using touring skis/skins) with a night or 2 in a mountain refuge? Hard work but a fantastic experiece.
3. Catskiing in Canada? Guaranteed fresh tracks every run!! Available on a daily basis (eg at Fernie)- or staying a few nights in a remote mountain lodge. (Google "Canada Catskiing"). Expensive but amazing & worth it.
4. Staying "up the hill" at the Kulm Hotel Gornergrat - 3100m above Zermatt? Amazing location and ski from the door - first on the mountain on your birthday!! http://www.matterhorn-group.ch/en/gornergrat/hotel/index.php Very Happy
snow report
the ice perv, I wondered about the La Plagne Bobsleigh (and hope to do it this Christmas). but it appears to close the end of March - see here.

Has anyone here tried the La Plagne Bobsleigh run - or any bobsleigh run?
ski holidays
I have tried both - don't bother with the bob-taxi. It's fun but when you've tried the actual bob it's quite tame. The real bob however is a blast. You will get a real thrill and I highly recommend (if they still do it)
snow report
Staying up the hill is appealling more and more. www.gerwand.com at Val Senales. 3200m.
latest report
Sorry, all, completely got it confused. The Bob-taxi IS the thing to go for,. It's the bob-raft that's a bit tame (in comparison)
latest report
Has anyone tried Cresta or skeleton?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy