Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dark Summer goes Dark for the Winter

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A press release sent out by the freeskier's magazine Dark Summer has announced that, due to bank funding falling through at the last minute, they will not be publishing any issues this winter. Instead, they intend to focus their efforts on their website....
Dark Summer wrote:
It is with regret that we have to announce that, due to some recent last-minute issues with our bank, Dark Summer will not be producing any issues in the 2008/09 season. Unfortunately, in this current financial climate it has made it tricky for small independent companies like us.

While we are sure that rumours will quickly spread that Dark Summer has finished forever, that is not the case at all. We are simply taking a break for a year and will be back and bigger than ever in October 2009.

Not being the kind of people who like to sit around twiddling their thumbs, you can rest assured that we will not be silent for the next 12 months. We not only have some great plans for the 2009/10 issues of Dark Summer that we want to put into play, but we also have some long-standing plans for our website that we will finally have the chance to make real.

We have long since felt that UK freeskiing needs a community, an independent voice to help it progress and Dark Summer still intends to fill that role.

We want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has help us through this year, and all those who have given us their support through this difficult decision.

As always, Dark Summer is a magazine for the UKs freeskiers and we always want your input. If you have ideas, comments, questions, or you're just sat at home bored, then drop us a line or swing by the website. Keep your eyes on the site for the changes you will start to see appearing in the coming month.

And most importantly, have a good, snowy season wherever you end up.

Zack Wragg
Editor-in-Chief / Publisher
Dark Summer Freeski Magazine
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Blimey, first UK snowsports casualty of the credit crunch that I can think of Shocked - that's a shame but glad they intend to publish again, fingers crossed on that!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
roga, there have been a few recent casualties in the ski travel industry... World Ski and Ski Wild to name but two. In the long run Dark Summer will be better off if they concentrate on the web and forget hard copy stuff.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bode Swiller, when I wrote that I thought someone more knowledgeable than me would come along and tell me I was wrong, glad it was you Toofy Grin Laughing

I agree that they'd probably be better concentrating on the web but there's something nice about having a hard copy mag in your hands, particularly when it's free and as high quality as Dark Summer is. Another way of delivering the mag is PDF via the site so I wonder if they might continue to produce PDFs this season, although it's a lorra hassle to design and create these if there's going to be no print version.

BTW, although I'm not exactly a park monkey I think it's a great wee magazine with a real buzz my only niggling reservation with DS is that it completely ignores what I've noticed is a thriving scene in Scotland, particularly at Glencoe where, when I visited last season, I noticed a higher proportion of steezy types with baggy pants than I think I've probably seen anywhere apart from Mammoth! Then there are guys like the Mackay brothers, winners of the third edition of the Columbia Rideweek at Courchevel, and based in Scotland, who were hucking it in the back corries at Nevis last time I was skiing there. Perhaps now that they are web based they'll have a little more time and flexibility to explore what's happening right on their doorstep on home snow (the real stuff as opposed to the dome stuff) and home mountains!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
roga, you make a good point about us not sufficiently covering Scotland. The reason we haven't put anything in the mag about it is that I've not had the chance to get up there, or have anyone send me a story about it. There is a lot of stuff that I would like to be able to cover in the magazine but haven't been able to yet, but we are a small team here (currently just me) and my day job gets in the way a little bit at the mo.

I see the break as more of a chance to manage the problem we have rather than trying to fight it out and die off completely. The web stuff is something I have wanted to do (alongside the magazine) for a long time, but once again my time constraints come into play. Having this season to develop the web stuff, and spend a good deal of time picking up all the articles that I have wanted to put into the magazine, I think we can come back stronger next season with a complete web/print package. Or at least, that is the plan.

I am toying with the idea of dropping some streamlined issues this year in PDF form (issues 13.1 and 13.2) but not 100% on it yet. We'll see how things play out I guess.

Ultimately, it is a bit of a pain in the bum, but I think it is also a great opportunity to develop.

(Thanks also to admin who has been a star)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
roga wrote:
I agree that they'd probably be better concentrating on the web but there's something nice about having a hard copy mag in your hands...

There is but I find myself checking websites as and when I can, mainly because I can get at them anywhere/anytime but I've now got 2 issues of Fall Line sat on my table back at home unread.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy