Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Meribel with girlfriend and 5 kids!!! HELP

Poster: A snowHead
Yes it's true.... Whilst many of you may well be thinking 'Good Luck' it was actually through choice we made the decision to drive with all the kids to Meribel for next year’s ski trip. The Eurotunnel is booked for an early April Saturday morning 11.50am shuttle, with a planned leisurely drive through France during the day.

Can anyone please suggest CHEAP accommodation somewhere along route which would leave us with only 2/3 hours drive into the resort on the Sunday morning?? NB The 'Family' unit can be split into 2 rooms if needed.

In addition if anyone has any 'Low Cost' stop off suggestions during the route, or any other hints or tips for the journey please feel free to post them as they will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance..... Jason
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some info here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewforum.php?f=19
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Smithy1972, that should be doable. The cheapest option is a "Formule 1" hotel. They have rooms for up to 3 people, so the 7 of you would need 3 (not that they'd know if you had an extra bod, if your kids can sleep 3 to a not very big double bed!). I think current price is about 33 euros a room. There are ample shared bathrooms/toilets in the corridors. If you want your own facilities you'll have to pay a bit more but there are plenty of cheap, or cheapish, hotel chains on the outskirts of the main towns you pass near on the autoroute. You can generally let yourself in with a credit card if the reception is closed. People get very sniffy about Formule 1 and declare that they couldn't possible survive a night without a private bathroom - but it's no different from going to a campsite, or a youth hostel etc. I would personally not book in advance, because it's hard to know exactly how far you'll get (much will depend on the weather). You'll start driving around 2 pm French time. You'll not want to be too "leisurely" - you'll want to be on the autoroute doing 80 mph (or 70 if it's raining) for at least 6 hours, plus stops, before you stop for the night.

Take a picnic for lunch on Saturday, and plenty of drinks - buying them for 5 kids won't be cheap! As you won't have time for a leisurely dinner if you want to get really close to the resort AND get the kids to bed at a reasonable time, you could take a picnic supper too.

Good luck. snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Smithy1972, stayed here last year - http://www.charmilles-fr.com/htgb/0001.htm

Was a shade over 3-hours to resort the next day

Audio CDs great in the car - I will personally scream if I have to listen to the Famous Five again - but keeps the kids quiet for hours
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boris, move on to the secret seven Cool
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
boredsurfin, Evenin - long time no see

Who's that Boredsurfing, bloke who hangs around here

The worst thing about the Famous Five CDs is the sniggering from us parents - when they are talking about Dick and Aunt Fanny
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boris, Bl00dy imposters, I'm back now Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Smithy1972, Formule1 or Etap hotels somewhere close to Dijon or Macon. Don't expect luxury, cheep 'n cheerful establishements but certainly fit for purpose. Don't pay the extra few quid for breakfast, instead get up, get in the car and head to the nearest McDonalds for a quick brew and McMuffin, before your onward journey. But don't leave too late and get caught up in the 'airport transfer' traffic.

Meribel you say, in April ? Isn't it a bit low there for that time of year ?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

cheep 'n cheerful establishements but certainly fit for purpose.

I have frequently stayed in F1 hotels and recommended them to those looking for cheap overnights, but I wouldn't ever call them cheerful. "Cheap and with an air of dispirited resignation", perhaps? Also, whilst I agree with not paying the extra few quid for breakfast, we always get up and head an hour or so down the autoroute and stop at an "aire".
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There's a Premier Classe (Campanile's equivalent of Etap) in a Zone Commercial just south of Macon I've used in the summer. Lots of places to eat there and ideal to fuel up and get back on the motorway. Rooms take 3. There is a Campanile next door which may even have a room for 5 if you check.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Meribel you say, in April ? Isn't it a bit low there for that time of year ?

From Easter ski trips, chances are the runs into resort will be cut up/icy or a bit bare. But still plenty of skiing above resort level
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I like the ibis or mercure chains. Perhaps 10 euro more than formula one, but at least you get a room that doesn't feel like they are going to 'spray' it clean when you leave...

Personally when I've driven before I've tended to overnight near lyons as then the morning drive up is no more than 2hr 30 (unless you really hit the traffic), and the run up into the hills is just lovely - not for the driving, but for the views you start seeing mountains with snow on them and...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Smithy1972, do you intend doing any skiing on the day you arrive, this may influence where you decide to stay, are you aiming to get up early on the Sunday to be on the slopes at a reasonable hour or are you more inclined to go for the more leisurely saunter up to resort ? Just curious ...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="pam w"]Smithy1972, that should be doable. The cheapest option is a "Formule 1" hotel. They have rooms for up to 3 people, so the 7 of you would need 3 (not that they'd know if you had an extra bod, if your kids can sleep 3 to a not very big double bed!). I think current price is about 33 euros a room. There are ample shared bathrooms/toilets in the corridors. If you want your own facilities you'll have to pay a bit more but there are plenty of cheap, or cheapish, hotel chains on the outskirts of the main towns you pass near on the autoroute. You can generally let yourself in with a credit card if the reception is closed. People get very sniffy about Formule 1 and declare that they couldn't possible survive a night without a private bathroom - but it's no different from going to a campsite, or a youth hostel etc. I would personally not book in advance, because it's hard to know exactly how far you'll get (much will depend on the weather). You'll start driving around 2 pm French time. You'll not want to be too "leisurely" - you'll want to be on the autoroute doing 80 mph (or 70 if it's raining) for at least 6 hours, plus stops, before you stop for the night.

Take a picnic for lunch on Saturday, and plenty of drinks - buying them for 5 kids won't be cheap! As you won't have time for a leisurely dinner if you want to get really close to the resort AND get the kids to bed at a reasonable time, you could take a picnic supper too.

Good luck. :

Thanks for your help.... Greatly appreciated Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
masmith wrote:
Smithy1972, do you intend doing any skiing on the day you arrive, this may influence where you decide to stay, are you aiming to get up early on the Sunday to be on the slopes at a reasonable hour or are you more inclined to go for the more leisurely saunter up to resort ? Just curious ...

no skiing on Sunday... A leisurly day of ski fitting, walking around, and maybe a few beers!!! Happy
ski holidays
Smithy1972, Some of the NOvotels have rooms that sleep 5 people.
latest report
Smithy1972, Just a bit of advice, do not leave booking into any of the cheaper hotels until after 8pm as I have found they can frequently be full. I stopped at an F1 at 7:30pm the car park had 2 other car in it, when went out to eat at 8:30pm it was full and they were turning people away.
ski holidays
We stayed in a small hotel near to Dijon/Dole - http://www.leparcey.fr/pages/indexpag.html this has family rooms on the top floor with 4 beds but I am pretty sure they can squeeze in another one if needed. About 3 hours from the hotel to Meribel (we did it last Xmas) and if you leave before 9am you miss the worst of the Lyon traffic.
snow report
try this place in Albertville which is closer to Meribel, dirt cheap Hôtel Balladins Albertville Express
snow conditions
I have booked this place for New Year http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/de-la-poste.html?aid=303948;label=langres-9l1QNWQuRyHLebQB_P78ugS581775861;sid=7625f3f0da14cfd077ecb794ce8cbe8c
Purely off the reviews on trip advisor, it is more or less half way into the French leg of the journey, they have an apartment for 8 which I am sure would suit your needs. The problem with fomula one, Premiere classe etc apart from them being no more than a hostel (don't want to sound like a ski snob because i'm not) is they are situated in industrial areas and personally I couldn't sleep with £2,000 worth of ski's on the roof of the car and about £4,000 worth of kit inside it.

Also you really do want to find a nice local restaurant (well maybe not with 5 kids in tow) after a long days drive, make it part of your Hols and enjoy.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy