Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half Term ski trips - any ideas please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi - just found this forum, looks good.

I have been googleing for hours.

I am looking for a not too much £'s holiday for 5 (2 adults and 3 kids) in 2 rooms (twin and tripple)
over the school holidays half term - hotel, transfers, lift pass, ski hire, etc

Found this which looks ok - thomas cook
http://www.thomascook.co.uk/holidays/snow?_requestid=156889
until you add all the costs in and then it's over £1000 per person

Found this - Crystal
http://www.crystalski.co.uk/crystalskiDispSearchResults.do;jsessionid=gjHG6+oH-gSiil3tcuSLtw**.wa02node2?siteId=78
But when you click the links to continue the cost go up to over £1000 per person

Are there ANY websites that just a give a "REAL" cost for a hotel ski holiday (less than a million pounds each ?)

I tried looking on bmibaby.com (you should do it just for fun) - £760 JUST for flights

Have I left it too late ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You won't find low flight prices for half-term now, not that go to any of the usual suspects anyway (Geneva, Turin, Grenoble and so on). Somebody will be along in a minute to say 'go at Easter instead' which is good advice, but if you're limited to half term and on a budget I think your best bet is something a bit outre like BA to Genoa, then a longish transfer to somewhere like Sauze. That's the DIY option anyway, and pretty much presupposes self catering. If you want a package deal you'll have to hold your nerve and go last minute to avoid spending megacash. Risky.

Assuming you can get flights (or drive, or get a coach or train or whatever) look at slightly less travelled resorts - famous French ones won't be much fun and won't be cheap, An agency called Snowtrex do a good selection of less-travelled places, at knockdown prices, but I can't claim to vouch for them or any of the resorts themselves.

Welcome to snowheads by the way.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.equityski.co.uk/

All-in prices including pass, insurance etc. However, they deal with schools a lot and are busy that week - if you like what they offer, book it now because availability will be limited.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank for that
I tried this
http://www.equityski.co.uk/engine/res_resortlist.aspx
But they have no availablity for the half term other than self drive - my P reg would be slightly upset at the prospect

I called them and the ones they do have start at £940

Any other ideas please - getting desperate
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Stressed Mick, The words "half term" and "cheap" are not found together often.

I do ours (30+ group) myself, that is not through a travel agent or tour company. By the time we pay for a (very nice I must admit) apartment, flights, transfer, pass, kit, lessons then the cost is around the £1,000 per head mark at half term.

And you are a bit late, so will get done over on your flight prices now.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
[quote="Mosha Marc"]Stressed Mick,
I do ours (30+ group) myself, that is not through a travel agent or tour company. By the time we pay for a (very nice I must admit) apartment, flights, transfer, pass, kit, lessons then the cost is around the £1,000 per head mark at half term.

Do you have a link to a website please
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Stressed Mick, train? Friends of mine are coming to 2Alpes by train next half term, found it cheaper than flying. (I'd offer to let you their apartment, but they're using it. Obviously.)

Otherwise .....

Reconsider the driving option, stay somewhere out of resort.
Camping! (Not as daft as it sounds - heated mobile homes.)
Self cater and book direct with the resort rather than through a TO/agent.
Try http://www.rocketski.com/ and get kids discount up to age 16. Same company as Equity though, so probably same problem with flights.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stressed Mick, not really one site,

1. Decide on a destination.

2. Go to chosen resort tourist office website, set up standard room request email and send to all Hotels/Residences etc. you remotely like the look of. (Repeat in differing resort if required)

3. Choose one from those who say yes. And put on reserve

4. Book flights.

5. Confirm accomodation

6. Book car hire or transfer.

7. Start looking at resort webcams three months before trip date.

Thats about it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you

Tried this
http://www.rocketski.com/engine/res_resortlist.aspx - put in
any country
any resort
flight from manchester

They have no availablity for those dates - someone MUST have
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Stressed Mick, I think you may have to be flexible about your departure point. Regional flights are limited and sell out quickly, especially for that week.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have found these
http://www.alpineelements.co.uk/ski-holidays/discount-half-term-ski-deals.html
They have only London departures but the chalets look nice - I think we will have to share with others

and
http://www.folgarida.co.uk/
They have Manchester departures half term for £850 fully incl (if you add in the room discount)

http://www.silverbluetours.co.uk/index.php?section=29
I called them and they say they have availablitiy but I have to call them on Monday for Manchester departures as the person on the phone was not sure

Has anyone any other links

Next year I will book in Feb for the following Feb
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Stressed Mick, if your car won't make it have you looked into hiring one in the UK and driving down.

Eurotunnel and Leisuredirection (I think) do some pretty reasonable all in packages including channel crossing and apartments, probably the cheapest option available to you at this late stage.

We stay in the same chalet each Feb half-term and leave a deposit for the following year when our holiday finishes.

This year has been compounded as all the UK are on the same half-term week.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Stressed Mick, what's your budget?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
about £4,000 to £4,500

But this MUST be everything

I have looked on a site called if you ski com - but it is very confusing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd write off the Alpine Elements one. Sharing a self catering chalet with a bunch of people you don't know sounds rubbish - you don't go on holiday to argue about who has or hasn't done the washing up. And their price doesn't include lift passes etc so I can't see it being particularly cheap either.
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
I'd write off the Alpine Elements one. Sharing a self catering chalet with a bunch of people you don't know sounds rubbish - you don't go on holiday to argue about who has or hasn't done the washing up. And their price doesn't include lift passes etc so I can't see it being particularly cheap either.

If you book a chalet that holds 8 and there are 5 of us - will there be 3 others in the chalet or will we get it to ourself

Sorry - never stayed in a chalet
ski holidays
Stressed Mick, that week of the season there will be certainly be three others as well. At least. Laughing
ski holidays
I think I have it Smile
when I started this thing this morning I din't know it would be so hard - there are still 4 months to go
You live and learn

I have one site - £4,415 "fully" inclusive 3* hotel with sauna jaccuzzie, etc for 5 people (my kids are all over 18 - so no kids discount)
lift pass - ski hire - transfers - manchester flight

Going to try and book it - and see if the price goes up each time I press continue Twisted Evil
latest report
Stressed Mick, DIY and self catering isn't so bad - book it all yourself and drive there. Even Easter and half term you should get change from £1500 all in
snow report
Ok - if you convince my other half to do the cooking and washing up for the week - ha ha h - it's meant to be a holiday for all.

Just looking for a nice holtel by the slopes with all mod cons

Not asking too much I hope Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Quote:

Not asking too much I hope

That week, and booking this late? Probably.

How about:

Ryanair flights £300 each return
Campsite 500€ for the week
Car hire about 300€
Alpe d'Huez lift pass 230€ each

Not quite slopeside hotel though. Laughing
ski holidays
........... or this: http://www.la-cascade.com/ English-owned, refurbed this summer. Hotel, but not exactly on the piste.
snow report
Campsite 500€ for the week

Ha Ha no thanks

I really can not see my missus in a tent (maybe 30 years ago)
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
........... or this: http://www.la-cascade.com/ English-owned, refurbed this summer. Hotel, but not exactly on the piste.

Not exactly on the piste - an understatement
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?near=Bourg+d%27Oisans&q=Bourg+d%27Oisans+ski&f=p&btnG=Search+Maps&rl=1

Thank you for the information though - it seems that everyone on the forum is very knowledgeable about all things skiing
latest report
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I have booked - http://www.folgarida.co.uk/index.htm
sorted - a REALLY BIG thank you to everyone who offered advice.

Got - 3* hotel near slopes - Manchester flight - Ski Hire - Full area lift pass - Transfers - etc -etc
£883 per person

I think though I will book earlier next year
snow report
No longer "stressed" mick

"Happy" mick now
snow report
Stressed Mick, not a tent you twerp, a heated chalet. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Though I imagine they would probably let you pitch a tent if only for the comedy value.
snow report
Stressed Mick, looks nice. You'll have to give us a report on it when you get back.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard wrote:
Stressed Mick, not a tent you twerp, a heated chalet. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Though I imagine they would probably let you pitch a tent if only for the comedy value.

Sorry - I missunderstood - I'm new to all this. Normally I just go to Thomas Cook (did that yesterday)
OMG - VERY expensive
snow conditions
Stressed Mick, check out www.tracksvacations.com they have availability for the date you want at a reasonable price with kid's discounts as well. You can travel to Bourg St Maurice by train, or fly to Geneva, self drive isn't too much of a hassle either it's a 10/11 drive to La Rosiere from Calais.
ski holidays
David L, Perhaps you might care to read that Stressed Mick has now booked before leaping in with another opportunity to spam?
snow report
Stressed Mick, you seem to have done well for yourself - Folgarida looks brilliant.
snow conditions
Lechbob wrote:
Stressed Mick, you seem to have done well for yourself - Folgarida looks brilliant.

Hmmmm Maybe I'll ge there and it will be not so good (I think would get upset if I said a rude word)

To tell you the truth I have never heard of the place - the web site looks good - but then it would, wouldn't it. Puzzled

But I have booked now after all the stress of google. So at least we have a holiday.

I think this forum is more for people who "do thier own thing" - self drive, book hotels, get lift passes. etc etc. I am just a tourist - not that that is a bad thing as that is what 90% of people are.

I like to book and ATOL backed holiday. I like to be met at the airport and taken to the coach, I want to be taken to my nice hotel (near the ski slopes) and have someone bring me my lift pass and take me to my ski class.

AAAaaaaaahhhhhhhh. Relax - holiday time.

I will let you know if it good or bad - have done so googleing on the resort this afternoon and it mixed. Some people say its good and some say bad. Most have never heard of it (includeing the resort search in this forum)

Oh well - sorted (I hope)
ski holidays
Stressed Mick, after a couple of times, DIY can be like that - and a lot cheaper and more flexible. Keep reading this site for the next few months then try it for next year. AAAaaaaaaaahhhhhhh. Relax - holiday time. more money in the bank for vin chaud!
snow report
Hi Stressed Mick,
We had the same issue, prices seem to have increase loads from last year.
We've ented up booking accomodation in Morzine and driving for the first time due to the flight prices.

We went to Madonna di Campiglio a few years back and had a great time, snow was great.
I don't think it was linked up to the other resorts at that time, but even then the area was great.

The main street of Madonna di Campiglio had lots of boutiques and lots of well to do Italians out showing off their designer cloths.

I'm sure you'll have a great time.
snow conditions
Llew wrote:

The main street of Madonna di Campiglio had lots of boutiques and lots of well to do Italians out showing off their designer cloths.

I will take my Diamante lapels for my jacket then Toofy Grin

You would not believe how long I spent on Google. But it seems that every website has a price and when you select it and go to the next page the price goes up - what a scam Mad

I think the biggest problem is that I have to go during school holidays (my "kids" are all over 16) but I work for the education authority so I have to take holidays when the schools are closed - and every company seems to put up the price at this time.

They call it supply and demand - I call it rip off if you can.

I don't think 895 fully inclusive is that much - all the other I looked at (that seemed OK with ATOL stamp etc) were much more for half term.

I like that site (forgot what it called) as they just have the price and thats it - no extras. My booking confirmation and flight ticket came in this mornings post - I only booked at the weekend so thats OK
ski holidays
Stressed Mick, it's not a scam. The base price is usually for flight, transfer and accommodation - everyone booking a package wants these. The rest of it is optional extras - usually lift pass (choice of different areas, kid/adult passes etc etc), lessons (group/private/none/not with the TO's chosen ski school, thanks) and equipment hire (lots of people have their own kit). Bit difficult to give a set package price and still offer people the choices they want.

As for the peak season prices, plenty of late deal packages are sold in low season at tiny margin/break even/a loss. Half term goes at full price because providers could sell everything twice over, and this compensates for poor pickings at other times of the season.
snow conditions
Only the accommodation element alters in price, lift pass normally remains the same expcept at the very start and end of a season. What I do find a scam (sprry Lizzard) os the underoccupancy supplements, particularly for apartments that they fail to mention when they quote you the initial price. I just checked out the Alpaga aparments in Villeneuve, and the supplements for 2 people were £350 for a one bedroom apartment.
latest report
Helen Beaumont, under-occupancy supplements can be a complete scam altogether. I've worked for a company which routinely charges a supplement for rooms which are in fact singles and could never be anything else. Charging a supplement for an unused bed in a twin is fair enough (costs are calculated per bed space), but asking extra for a blatant single room takes the p!ss, to my mind.
ski holidays
Of course it is.

I must have paid many thousands of pounds over the years for my family to go skiing during school holidays.

The flights cost the same - from the airline to the ski tour operators (confirmed by BA groups Dept)
The lift passes cost the same - halft term week as they do the week befor (http://www.ski.it/upload/files/FFM_LIST_ING_WEB.pdf)
The ski hire cost the same - halft term week as they do the week befor (http://www.rosattisport.it/?hl=listino_it)
The coach transfers cost the same
etc
etc
etc

It's a scam - charge more when people have no choice - well one choice to go or not
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy