Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Holiday for group of seven, France? : Advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so.....Hello.

I'm trying organise my first group ski trip for me and seven buddies on a tiny tiny budget.

So far i'm not having much luck with finding a week trip to France in March for cheap.

Any tips from anyone who's organised a group trip - websites, package deals, create your own, resorts etc?

I'm keen to go to one of the higher resorts like Val Thorens as more of a snow gaurantee.

All ideas appreciated.

Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
btomj, welcome to the forum

not sure you;'ll find what you want TBH. CHeap, March, big group - pick 2. If there were 2 of you, you;d have a good chance of a late deal, but with 8 people you;'ve less chance. Add in the fact that you;re colliding against half term and easter in march too, both of which push prices up.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi, ta.

I did think that would be the case - It's the only time we can all make it with work commitments. Maybe i'll just go with the girlfriend - although i'm desperate for a lads boarding holiday.
I've been with my dad and his friends every year for ages, which has been ok, but i'm looking for a bit more wild apres ski action as well.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
btomj, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
Have a look at www.ernalow.co.uk if you choose carefully some of their self catering appartments are good deals. If your group wants the 3 valleys staying in Brides le Bains reduces the cost BUT there is a 40 min gondola to the snow each morning.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A cheap airline such as Easyjet or Ryanair (unless you are taking your own skis - they make a big charge to carry them). Self catering is cheapest.
However, the smaller resorts are much cheaper - both lift pass and accommodation. How about Val Cenis - a very nice resort from which you can explore other resorts in the valley if you wish. Slightly more awkward to get to, though. You might think of driving out - you can do it in a day if you start v early. But remember to factor in the motorway tolls.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 17-10-08 15:40; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
btomj, Welcome to Snow Heads. Depends on which week of March really, but you shouldn't NEED to go somewhere like VT at that time, for decent snow, and you can avoid major school hols by going 2nd or 3rd week of March. As nbt, says, the bigger your group the less likely you are find a late deal where you can all be together. Are you planning to fly or would you drive? If flying, look at the price of flights into say Geneva or Chambery (lots of choices within an hour or two). If driving, you could stay a little bit out of a resort you fancy, and keep the costs down. Very Happy
snow conditions
 brian
brian
btomj, disagree with the above. March should not be ridiculously expensive as easter is well into April this year. But if going to France make sure you're after the end of the French school hols, so after the 1st week.

I'd go diy but I have a knee jerk reaction to tour ops as I find transfer coaches, 4am starts on said coaches, the dreaded Lyon charter terminal (tent) and being treated like a brain dead sheep as more akin to eternal torment than a holiday.

So, get on easyjet for flights now (there's a sale on).

Use this link to book 2 cars:

http://www.holidayautos.co.uk/cgi-bin/liveweb.sh/QSearch.w?ctryref=GBR&lang=EN&aff=xOneAccount

or get on a bus with www.altibus.com or find a private transfer (budget stretching but with 8 may be surprisingly cost effective).

... and find apartments or whatever direct (going through someone like Erna Low means adding on their premium) and online, eg. for Val T something like:

http://www.lechevalblanc.com/

March is a great time for snow as it has had plenty of time to accumulate but (with any luck) won't be in major thawing season yet.

Good luck and welcome to snowHead s !
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm not adverse to driving out - and tolls spilt between 4 in a car shouldn't be too expensive...

Snow chains on the mountain side are a bit of a chore I seem to remember from bitter prior experience though...

I took the overnight snow train from Kings Cross to Les Arcs earlier this year and that was quite successful but i'm bored of Les Arcs now and want something a bit more challenging.

two of us have our own boards, (including me) so Ryan air is probably out of the question if they impose massive extra charges - although my board and luggage nearly fits in one big board bag - does this still count?

I think i'm going to be brave and DIY it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmm - ways of keeping the cost down (in general terms)

1) Go in early Jan

2) Go DIY not TO (not always the case but often is) - get the TO price and compare against the s/c price.

3) Self cater

4) Make lunch in the morning to eat up the hill - can easily spend 140 Euro on a 7 day trip eating in the restaurants.

5) Drive in 2 cars, stop and get food on the way (valley cheaper than up the hill generally speaking) - this way you get 8 days skiing 'for the cost of 6'

6) Avoid the 'big-name' resorts - IIRC 3v / St. Anton seems to have the most expensive ski-lift passes when compared with somewhere smaller and less 'big name'

7) Stay in a satellite, rather than the main resort - e.g. brides les bans for 3v, vaujany for ADH, Bourg St. Maurice for Les Arcs etc.

Cool Ski republic do cheap ski-hire. ESF do cheap ski lessons - but you get what you pay for.

9) Austria can be cheaper than france..

But it's all a compromise. If you want 'night-life' then you'll want to be in resort rather than satellite, and satellite won't give you ski-in, ski-out.

Ok so here's an idea

Snowandtrek Morzine - Rusiisea 1 - £1000 for 8 = £125 each. Starting 7th March
Transfers = 65 euro return (same company) = £50
Easyget LGW to GVA, 1st flight out, last back includ taxes and luggage = £105

So for £280 your there and got somewhere to stay for the week. budget say £100 for kit hire and £125 for the pass (7 days Morzine/Avoriaz only)

So total cost now is £505, and all you got on top of that is beer tokens and food. If you s/c then you keep the costs down. Can't imagine it would be more than £75 each for the week assumes packed lunches. There's a really good supermarket in Morzine, so easier than it sounds. So total cost excluding beers - £580 which is a good as you would get (IMHO), unless you drive.

Compare with a catered chalet (pulled at random but central so more expensive) - http://www.chalet-morzine.com/prices.html 675 euros for the same time = £525 quid (not incl flights/transfers) - so add on the same elements c. £900 for the same thing.

If you're still stuck for ideas then check out this new book thats come out "White Weekends" - get it on amazon, as a lot of the strategies for weekend skiing are similar to doing it yourself on the cheap.

Have fun on the snow! (give the organising job to someone else next year!)

bb
ps maybe a 'snow travel agent' should be my next calling...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bertie bassett, you're wasted! Wanna job? Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
or check out swiss air £120 return flights inc ski carriage. car hire as above and then choose your accomodation
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Can't beat bertie bassett's costs - but skialot in Chatel is worth a look. Still got availability in March, and according to the home page, there is a discount for group bookings. I stayed there the season when Stuey first started - and I bet it's still good. No connection other than as a satisfied customer, some years ago.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Val Thorens will be quite a bit pricier than smaller resorts for accommodation, passes, rental and eating, you really should not need that kind of height in March.
I would consider the Maurienne valley if you are taking or renting cars. It is cheaper and more attractive. You can get a very reasonably priced lift pass which covers you for a day in each of the many seperate resorts although a couple of the pricier ones you have to pay a small supplement.
In addition if you want to ski Val Thorens you can do this by getting the lift up from Orelle. If you want to ski Val Thorens on the cheap it is possible to do this by staying at Orelle and skiing it every day though the lift pass will be a fair bit pricier than the valley one.

http://www.maurienne-tourisme.com/forfait-ski-maurienne-sans-frontieres.asp
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

i'm looking for a bit more wild apres ski action as well.

Then you don't really want to go to Val Thorens. And maybe you don't really want to go to France - the big French resorts are expensive and in the small ones everybody is tucked up in bed by 10 pm. wink Mid March is a great time to pick though, so don't worry about that - and I agree with all the above posts that you really shouldn't have to go high. Our apartment is at 1550m and has been buried in snow in mid March for the past several years.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Missed the bit about the wild apres.

Maurienne valley is probably a little quiet though I don't go for the apres so don't really know.
You might try Deux Alpes which has a reputation for apres. It is also certainly cheaper than Val Thorens and probably a bit tougher skiing/boarding as well. It also goes higher if you are certain height is what you are after.
snow report
btomj, I know someone who has a chalet you can hire for about 1500 euros I think (he might do a deal). between 8 that would be fine. Other suggestions for cost saving are good. If doing either LDA or ADH you can get regular buses to resort which is very cheap. If you drive, at the moment you can get very cheap crossings on Norfolkline (OK dunkerque is awful, but hey - you're only passing through). If going this way you can go straight D roads all the way to St.Omer, thus saving a little on tolls and not costing you much time. fill up at Carrefour in St. Omer. I also found that there's a hypermarket petrol station at Nuit St Georges just south of Beaune. Just random thoughts which might help. Very Happy
latest report
bertie bassett, On the other hand, from Crystal, in the same week, a catered chalet (Chalet Perrier) comes in at £659 per person, including 2 lots of ski carriage, 6 lots of ski&boot hire, 8 lift passes, flights (From Gatwick 8:55), transfers & chalet board.

A bit more than your £580, but not hugely so, and no faffing around preparing your own food. I would expect something similar to be going significantly cheaper closer to the time - IF (big IF) still available for 8.
latest report
btomj, If you want dirt cheap then try Skitopia, they have accommodation in Serre Chavalier and Montgenevre. The price includes, skis, passes (worth around £200) flights, tranfer and HB and free wine too. Accommodation can be basic but they have a new hotel this year, so can't comment on that.

http://www.skitopia.com/general/prices.html

If you are a young group, you might be able to tag on with a Uni trip, so that might be worth considering.

Welcome to sHs snowHead
snow report
OK for cheap in Maurienne valley

Ferry crossing Norfolk line cheapy early morning crossing £14 x8 persons in 2 cars= £108
Petrol Guessing 2 cars =£400
Accommodation appartment in Maurienne=€600-1000
Lift passes 8 person 5 days multistation pass + extra day in Val Thorens including 8x€120=£800

Total cost 8 persons without food or ski hire c£1900 -£2400 or £250-£300 per person

NB Slower driving on toll free roads add extra for autoroutes.
snow conditions
Plan B.

Focusing a little on more on nightlife trading in accomodation

Fly LHR to MUC - £105 rtn with Lufthansa
Hire 2x cars for one week - £50 each for a ford focus. Allow £15 each for fuel
Drive to Kitzbuhl - stay - http://snowbunnys.co.uk/ - real 'cheap 'n' cheerful backpackers type place (think slightly dingy newquay surf lodge) - £23 per night x 7 = £161

Total = £331 - Lifpass £160. Hire say £100 = £600

But you'll need to allow more for eating out as there's not a lot of catering at 'bunnies.

Or: http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/p23224?uni_id=117118#unitrates - 1617 euro for the week = >slightly more then £150 for the week. chuck in the bits as before and your on £580. then you've just got food 'n' beer, pimp place, but a bit outside town..

Now you're in a charming resort, quite chichi shops but some cracking nightlife, and some amazing skiing to be had. Give you self a test on the legnedary Hahenkahm (sp?) donwhill course.

Plan C.
Fly with O'leary STN to Friedchciken on SUNDAY = £134
Transfer with airport bus - £50
Appartement Mall Emil - apartment for 8 - bit more expensive so works out at £275 each (sun to sun) - but I would phone the tourist office as probably other cheaper options around. We paid around £150 each in Jan last year. Go for either Nasserein or Dengert or Moos (parts of the town) and it'll be a bit cheaper than 'tripping distance to scotty's'
Pass = £180, Hire - assume £100 as before

Total = £739 - but I would hope to knock off around £100 on the apartment rental. getting expensive but you're in one of the 'top 10 resorts in the world' (allegedly) with the infamouse mooserwirt, Krazy Kanguruh and others as well as some good on piste but amazing off-piste skiing to be had. Day trip up to zug/lech should be on the to do list.

Right now we've booked your holiday I'll go and look for one myself...

rolling eyes
latest report
So to summarise the collective knowledge of snowheads (sorry I know I've got a bit carried away)

You can get decent trips from around £300 (T-bar) to around £700 (st. anton), but each step is a trade-off. If you want to be in resort with pumping nightlife it costs a bit more. If you want the 'convenience' of flying it costs a bit more. If you want a 'brand-name' resort it costs a bit more. You might find better deals from the TO, but if booking for 8 get on with it - as I doubt you'll find availabilty come March unless the whole economy goes to rubbish.

So decide with your buddies which of these trade-offs work for you. Pick your resort and then getting looking / booking. The resorts website is usually a good place to start for s/c accomodation.

Enjoy (and this is my last post on this topic I promise!)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bertie bassett, With those prices you should be arranging the EOSB, Very Happy
snow report
bertie bassett,
Quote:

You can get decent trips from around £300 (T-bar) to around £700 (st. anton), but each step is a trade-off.

Spot on. I would not actually advocate mine if night life is important as it's probably a wee bit quiet in most of the Maurienne but you may find something. I was just trying to indicate what you could do on the cheap but still have reasonable accommodation and certainly a variety of skiing in probably pretty good snow. The prices that I checked were for 7th March by the way.
snow report
btomj, Firstly welcome to snowHead s. No doubt you will have a blast wherever/whenever you go.

Late deals are out as far as 8 persons are concerned! If you want "buzzing" nightlife France really is not the best place. Austria would be a better choice.

If you are wanting France. I would go DIY and you can do it on a budget!
First Book your flight to where you want, Geneva, Lyon, Grenoble. Then pick a resort that would suit! Go to that resorts website and look at agencies in the resort. Deal directly with agent or if you know a friendly snowHead that may be able to take you! With 8 persons you can either get a taxi or even cheaper hire a people carrier or van!

Have fun!
ski holidays
I am surprised you think Les Arcs doesn't have tough skiing - it probably has as many iof not more blacks than Val d'Isere, and some of the toughest off piste I've seen (notably off the back of the Aiguille Rouge, and especially if you also include La Plagne (which has no tough piste skiing) now that the link will be back in use. However you need a guide for the Les Arcs off piste.
ski holidays
snowball, La Plagne doesn't need tough on piste as there is so much off piste which doesn't get skied out by lunchtime after a dump like some resorts. wink http://thermique74.nuxit.net/
ski holidays
Anyone else wondering where "Wild Apres" and "France" are fitting into the same sentence?
snow conditions
Standee, yes, I did wonder that some posts ago. wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Standee, yes, I did wonder that some posts ago. wink

To be ABSOLUTELY honest, isn't the whole Apres Ski thing a bit of a myth that people used to regail when they got home when Skiing was still all exclusive and only for solicitors and surgeons. The real, honest, truth is that most big resorts have a few bars that are pretty busy and good fun, but can be expensive, which is pretty much the same as can be said for most tourist cities around the world.?
snow report
Standee, Naturally it depends on your memory or view of "apres ski". IMO apres ski used to involve having a dance in ski boots to both good and cheesy european music, having a good few pints and getting to know the group of nurses on holiday! Laughing

Some may find a vin chaud sitting at a table outside watching the last down off the mountain. It is not my idea of cracking apres ski, but I will not poo poo the idea as it is someones idea of fun!

I prefer my skiing in France which is why I took the step of purchasing, but I would not consider many resorts in France to come into my idea of apres ski. If I want that, I go to Austria, Andorra or Italy where I know I could have a blast!
ski holidays
btomj, I know you said France, but why not Austria, check out the germanwings flights from Stansted to Stuttgart 7-15 March for £56, free ski/board carriage, head up to St Anton or Ischgl, one of their satellites or one of the Vorarlberg resorts, plenty of snow still in March, use the resort tourist office websites to do online accommodation searches, B&B or s/c apartment should be 25-40+ euro pppnt depending on quality or location. Fly out Sat, home on Sun, for full 7 days on snow, find the 2nd sat accom last minute in resort or driving down to a valley town. What you're saving on that flight, put to good use and buy a few more Austrian beers.

Another non-obvious gateway to the Alps is Basel, flights are often still cheap here when they're astronomical elsewhere, swiss motorways mean access to most of Switzerland, W. Austria and even Northern French Alps is doable.
snow report
Flights into Geneva then the options are good.

ive used www.chaletsdirect.com in the past to source a cheap appartment/chalet

google ski resorts close to Geneva for your options.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy