Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurotunnel change travel times

Poster: A snowHead
I have just received an email from Eurotunnel advising me that my time of travel has been changed from 11:50 to 13:50. It is on a peak travel day Friday 26/12 and I suppose it is because of a knock on effect of the fire, but it is still very inconvenient as I will have to drive 2 hours extra in the dark which I hadn't planned to. The only option they are giving is a refund and as I paid with Tesco vouchers I don't suppose they would when they looked into it.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kel, They changed mine yesterday to an hour later, I phoned and they changed it back to be just half hour earlier than it was, no problems. But it's not a Tesco booking.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kel, I am waiting for details of time changes for my crossing on 27/12 before deciding what to do.we're booked on the 12.20 I think. 13.50 would mean a bit longer in bed, and we are only driving to Reims.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've just checked my booking online, and no time changes on there as yet.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kel, That doesn't make sense! My 12:20 booking on 26.12 has moved forward to 12:05, emailed today. How on earth do they work these things out? I wonder if it is based on when you booked - my crossing was booked on 21.8. I'm still waiting to hear when my crossing back is going to be bumped to. I went through the tunnel earlier this month and they were only running (car) trains every 1 1/2 hours. I think they're giving priority to Euro$tar and freight.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Boredsurfing wrote:
Kel, They changed mine yesterday to an hour later, I phoned and they changed it back to be just half hour earlier than it was, no problems. But it's not a Tesco booking.

Gave them a call and they offered me 09:00, not much use to me, I have accepted revised times.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is the Peage lit up as I haven't noticed previously, as I have never drove on it in the dark and don't fancy driving the planned 320 miles to my stopover Hotel at Langres in complete darkness.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kel, Only in places. The vast majority will be in the dark. You could try turning your lights on though, which might make it bit brighter wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Steve Sparks,

Razz I will already have drove over 300 miles and might feel a little tired, good tip though wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kel, if it's a good evening, weather-wise (ie clear, not foggy) you don't need to worry. The road will be pretty quiet - you'll see the tail lights of the truck in front 3 miles off. The driving is so much easier than on our nose-to-tail motorways, there's no comparison. But it's a pain, when you'd planned your journey differently. Don't be so set on reaching Langres that you carry on if you are really tired; just stop that much earlier. Do make sure you've fitted headlamp deflector things - you don't want to be constantly flashed. The central crash barriers on the autoroutes are well designed to cut down glare from oncoming headlights, but you do get the odd flash from traffic going the other way.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w,

I am planning on reaching Langres as I want to be skiing for Sat lunchtime next day. Their are 3 drivers in the car but I know who will be doing the bulk of it. I should really stop earlier, but I don't want to get stuck behind all the traffic on what is probably the busiest Saturday of the season. I know what it will be like as I am usually on one of those coaches travelling cattle class . wink .
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've finally got my changed travel times. 5 minutes earlier on the way out, and half an hour on the way back. Even trains for the return on FRiday 9th January cannot be booked now. I I have been warned that it was chaos at Folkestone last week at the start of half-term. A friend transferred to the ferry rather than face a four hour delay, and that was for her rearrnaged crossing time. I am sure they are doing their best in a bad situation, but lets hope it improves before December. I am tempted to rearrange.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How much are the chunnel charging in view of the disruption? I'm looking at a UK run at the beginning of Dec (almost certainly cheaper than car hire) and the seacat is looking the best option at the mo, even though it's Boulogne rather than Calais, adding a half hour to the journey time
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eng_ch, prices remain exactly the same from what I've looked at.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm doing three sets of returns since the fire and before the season and all of my times have been changed..the most is by an hour!!

As you exit the tunnell french side make sure it's eyes right and you can see the burnt out remains in a heap!! Shocked
snow conditions
Went across to Paris last week and while times were changed all ran smoothly. The only downside is as it was 1/2 term and they are running at 1/2 capacity then all trains were full and no early departures were available. First time we took the Disco across and at +1.85m all we do is go in with the coaches in the front carraiges of the standard train.

Still an incredibly smooth service, above air, train(?) and car ferries, eurotunnel is my favorite form of transport. So easy with 3 kids in tow.
snow report
Is this affecting the Euro-star or just the vehicle carrier train times?
ski holidays
Eurostar have their own revised timetable out so unless you booked before the accident there shouldn't be any major changes. Of course you should check first, they have a page up to help out..
snow report
eng_ch, prices seem the same, only problem is when I tried to book they'd sold out for the day I wanted. Got a ferry for less than £20 instead as I have the advantage of starting about 60 miles from Dover.
ski holidays
andytb,

I changed my return crossing from Sunday to Wednesday only 2 weeks ago, thought I may as well have another 3 days whilst I'm there Madeye-Smiley . Then only last week it got changed, only by 40 minutes, so no big deal.
latest report
Just had my revised times email - a huge 5 minutes Laughing

Booked very early for Jan (and am a loyal customer) wonder whether they factor in any of this when re-allocating places

thefatcontroller, Much prefer the overheight carriages - more space generally. The only issue is if one of the kids needs a wee and you're stuck behind 10 coaches full of kids/grannies. I always carry an empty 2-litre bottle just in case Shocked
snow conditions
Surprised that a Disco was allowed in overheight, last Xmas and half term disco's with no box or rack were being turfed out of the overheight lanes.
I've given up trying to get into o'height, it is more pleasant but for 40 mins it doesn't really matter, does it Very Happy
snow conditions
Never had a problem with the X-trail, even when we decided not to put on our roof box last Xmas, we went into the higher carriages.
ski holidays
I booked my crossings for 28th November and 21st December on 18th September so quite a while in advance. Both crossings were originally at 14.20. Had an email on 21st October first of all to say the return crossing had been altered to 14.29 instead which was hardly any difference so no probs there, and then on 22nd October I had another email to say the departure crossing on 28th November had been altered to 13.50 so half an hour earlier, again not a lot of difference. I'm ok with the amended times, I do wonder why they just don't send you one email saying your new times are x and y though. Puzzled
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:
Surprised that a Disco was allowed in overheight, last Xmas and half term disco's with no box or rack were being turfed out of the overheight lanes.
I've given up trying to get into o'height, it is more pleasant but for 40 mins it doesn't really matter, does it Very Happy

Offically height break is 1.85m and my Disco is 1.92m. No issues with me going in the overheight lanes, if I did take it in the normal lanes I think I would have got myself a convertible FOC Laughing
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, That explains why the Disco drivers we saw were arguing Laughing I shall keep an eye next moth to see what is going on Toofy Grin
Are you going to Les arcs in January?

A couple of years ago there was going to be an extra charge for 'cars' in overheight, haven't seen it mentioned lately............
latest report
Boredsurfing, There is a button on the Disco to drop the height specifically for situations like this. Think it takes it down about 5cm and only usable at low speeds but still would not take it in the normal carraiges as they have specified the 1.85m barrier.

Yes, and driving over in Jan. Will PM you on this as looking at routes and where to stop etc.. wink
latest report
thefatcontroller, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=28639 might be of use to you.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Think I'll probably opt for the seacat - for me one of the reasons to pay more on the tunnel is the more frequent crossings, allowing more choice of travel time, especially with 8 hours at this end. When they lose that flexibility, for me they lose any claim to extra money out of me Smile
snow report
thefatcontroller wrote:
Boredsurfing, There is a button on the Disco to drop the height specifically for situations like this. Think it takes it down about 5cm and only usable at low speeds but still would not take it in the normal carraiges as they have specified the 1.85m barrier.

Yes, and driving over in Jan. Will PM you on this as looking at routes and where to stop etc.. wink

I suspect you will have lots of choice, when booking last minute accom in January Toofy Grin wink
ski holidays
We have had all our booked trips so far changed - December and then January. Not altered by much although the Jan one they have moved us from 6.20am to 7.30am which is later than we want (have to pick outlaws or baby sitters up from Lyon en route). I will call to try and change.
snow report
We've just received a letter from Eurotunnel advising us they've changed the timings of our December crossing. Very odd because they seem to have written to tell us they've changed our crossing times to exactly the same ones we already had booked Puzzled Puzzled I wonder if being booked on Frequent Traveller tickets has helped us to avoid being changed but why on earth have they wasted a piece of paper and a stamp?
ski holidays
Just got an e mail changing our half term crosing but onlt the return trip by 14 mins!

Which suggests the repair work is a bit behind schedule as it was going to be finished by early Feb.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 8-11-08 10:30; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
I got a letter from them yesterday changing our times for Christmas. Strangely the new times are exactly the same as the old times, exactly the same as homphomp (although we're not frequent travellers).
snow report
rob@rar, See you on the train them....perhaps ours are the only crossing times that haven't changed?!
ski holidays
We got an e-mail today telling us they had changed out January times for the reurn leg only by 20 minutes and then we got another e-mail later to say they had changed again but were now the same as the origianl times that we had already booked.

One trick you can do is go on the Eurotunnel website and do a dummy booking for the dates you are travelling. It will show what trains are sold out or available still to purchase when you are travelling. Using this we knew when travelling last week for 1/2 term that all trains around our time were sold out so it put more focus on making sure we were on time. With one train running if you miss your time you can have to wait hours......
snow conditions
homphomp, outbound on the 21st, 07.35 train.
snow conditions
rob@rar, Well....they must have a few services that haven't changed then....we're 23rd at 18:20.
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:
Just got an e mail changing our half term crosing but onlt the return trip by 14 mins!

Which suggests the repair work is a bit behind schedule as it was going to be finished by early Feb.

The repair work is on schedule to be completed by the end of January BUT they are re-arranging February's timetable as a precaution
ski holidays
The latest I could find says repairs finished by mid Feb, but this is dated October
http://www.ciltuk.org.uk/pages/industry-news/article?91A2F229-2E92-47FD-B6DC-80B9E43394F6
Civil Engineering mags are saying the same.
I did the dummy booking thing suggested for 06/02 when we go out and they've marked 2 out of every 3 departures as sold, but they havent told us our departure has changed yet, so hopefully not tempting fate with that statement. Coming back on Feb 15th is completely blocked out so we better not miss our train !!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy