Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good Ski Boot Fitter near Manchester

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking to buy some new ski boots and have read around this forum that its important to find a good boot fitter. I live near Manchester so have a Snow & Rock (at the Chill Factore) and an Ellis Brigham close by.

Am I best to visit one of these two shops (and is one better than the other) or are there any better independent places near by?

BTW I have been skiing for 3 years and would class myself as an improving intermediate.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anything Technical in Kendal has been highly recommended to me several times. I'm going there next week to get some boot fit problems sorted.

http://www.skiequipmentuk.com/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SCollier1, I thought that Ellis Brigham at Castlefield did a good job for me three years ago and when I went back last year they tweaked the boots for free. Having said that I do not have any experience of other fitters.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ventura at St Helens Chris really knows what he's doing. Also you got Rivington Alpine at Horwich and they Guy there is also very helpfull.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If I already have boots (unused) can I make an appointment, at somewhere like Ellis Brigham, for some help with them? or do you have to have bought your boots from the shop you go to for tweaking? (or in my case, advice on how to get the things on without twisting knees!). And will it cost fortunes?

I know I could just ring and ask, but I'm cowardly.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I found an excellent shop that knows their stuff it's in St Helens so not far from Manchester. Was very pleased with my boot fitting experience.

Chuds
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chudders, Welcome to snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kittya, you could walk in and ask.. would imagine they will charge you but not a whole lot.. I needed some work done on my boots and popped into somewhere local and they charged £15 to knock a spot out where boots were on a bone.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
arv wrote:
kittya, you could walk in and ask..

Did that very thing today. My boots are fine, my feet are happy. Got some footbeds and got rid of most of the day. Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kittya, happy days!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kittya, happy days!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
it has to be Ellis Brigham in Castlefield, Manchester. I've bought 2 pairs of boots there in the past and have been impressed by the assistant's knowledge each time. You can try on as many pairs as you like and there's no sales pressure.
I've tried boots on at Snow and Rock before and wasn't very happy with the service. The assistant would have sold me any pair of boots whether they fitted or not. He must have been on commission for selling foot-beds as that was all he wanted to sell me... and he really tried to convince me that if I didnt use a foot-bed I would permanently damage my feet. What a k@obhead... so... Brighams for me every time !!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tried Ellis Brigham in Manchester yesterday, but after spending 2 hours, came away empty handed, they didn't have any boots to fit my partner and his wide calf muscles and didn't want to put any in the oven to stretch them incase they still didn't fit and then they would lose money. We made the trip tp Rivington Alpine near Bolton and boy what a difference! Over 400 boots in stock. Graham had every gadget possible to make sure that the shell fit perfectly and knew immediately which 2 boots in stock would fit each of us and he was right first time! Coffee and flapjacks were served whilst we were well and truly measured and stood around warming our boots up. 4 hours later, we left the shop with a pair each, moulds and everything fitted to make sure we have the most comfy boots possible. There was no fee for fitting and he will do re-adjusting if it is necessary for free too after wearing them in. Professional from start to finish, we would recommend this shop to anyone, Graham knows his stuff. You can ring up to book an appointment which can help but make sure you are prepared to give up a whole morning or afternoon as Graham does a proper job. I didn't realise my feet were so technical ! The boots were also very reasonable cost wise too, as was the clothing. We would most definately go back again and would recommend to all, novice or professional.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JonnyRocket wrote:
it has to be Ellis Brigham in Castlefield, Manchester. I've bought 2 pairs of boots there in the past and have been impressed by the assistant's knowledge each time. You can try on as many pairs as you like and there's no sales pressure.
I've tried boots on at Snow and Rock before and wasn't very happy with the service. The assistant would have sold me any pair of boots whether they fitted or not. He must have been on commission for selling foot-beds as that was all he wanted to sell me... and he really tried to convince me that if I didnt use a foot-bed I would permanently damage my feet. What a k@obhead... so... Brighams for me every time !!

Agree always had good service from EB in Manchester. My wife even bought a pair of boots from the clearance outlet at Rossendale (which sadly is no longer there, had some right bargains) They were £90 reduced from about £270. The chap at Ross rang Manchester and told them He was sending someone over for fitting, they spent about 2 hours fitting these boots which they must have been selling at maybe even less that cost. OK I did also buy footbeds.

Great service every time I go there, have to agree S&R staff at CFe, don't seem anywhere near as switched on.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
2269vjs wrote:
Tried Ellis Brigham in Manchester yesterday, but after spending 2 hours, came away empty handed, they didn't have any boots to fit my partner and his wide calf muscles and didn't want to put any in the oven to stretch them incase they still didn't fit and then they would lose money. We made the trip tp Rivington Alpine near Bolton and boy what a difference! Over 400 boots in stock. Graham had every gadget possible to make sure that the shell fit perfectly and knew immediately which 2 boots in stock would fit each of us and he was right first time! Coffee and flapjacks were served whilst we were well and truly measured and stood around warming our boots up. 4 hours later, we left the shop with a pair each, moulds and everything fitted to make sure we have the most comfy boots possible. There was no fee for fitting and he will do re-adjusting if it is necessary for free too after wearing them in. Professional from start to finish, we would recommend this shop to anyone, Graham knows his stuff. You can ring up to book an appointment which can help but make sure you are prepared to give up a whole morning or afternoon as Graham does a proper job. I didn't realise my feet were so technical ! The boots were also very reasonable cost wise too, as was the clothing. We would most definately go back again and would recommend to all, novice or professional.

The fact is, they didn't try and sell you something that would never have fit. Other places would have. I know of people who swear by Rivington Alpine and clearly this was your experience, might take a look there myself when my current boots need replacing, but that will be in a few years.
snow conditions
Kel, 2269vjs, Another thread which echoes your thoughts. Graham is getting a reputation here on snowHead , and well deserved in my opinion. snowHead

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=57047&highlight=
snow report
Kel wrote:
2269vjs wrote:

The fact is, they didn't try and sell you something that would never have fit. Other places would have. I know of people who swear by Rivington Alpine and clearly this was your experience, might take a look there myself when my current boots need replacing, but that will be in a few years.
I have to admit, I wrote my last post in Nov 2008 before i skiid last season... I went skiing for a week in Jan 2009 and after just one days skiing my big toes took such a batterring that I got infections under both big toe nails and ended up in alot of pain... and it ruined my skiing holiday. I went on to lose both big toe nails. I took the boots back to EB and had them "stretched" before my skiing trip earlier this season (Jan 2010), and I had custom footbeds made, as they recomended. I lasted for 2 days skiing before the pain was so bad, that I had to ditch my own boots and hire some others...I must admit that the work they did on the boots did make an improvment, but not enough... I got an infection in only one big toe this year ! I've been back from Austria for one week, and my toenail is black and loose and in a few weeks time it will come away as it did last year !
My advice... trust your instincts.. I knew the boots were too small, but I let the "knowledgable" EB sales assistant convince me that the boots were the right size for me... I showed my own Salomon boots to the boot man in Austria this season, and he said straight away that these boots werent right for me... he said that they always fit Salomon's a size bigger as they are a very tight fitting (shorter) boot.
snow conditions
JonnyRocket, well i hate to tell you but the austrian was obviously out to sell you something...often we need to go down a size in salomon to get a performance fit, i don't think i have ever ha to go UP form what someone measures on a brannock device (certainly not on any recent models)

there is a vast divide as to what is too big, too small and just right but needs a bit of a tweak, i have a client who works the season in austria, she got boots from us, called me up after 4 weeks skiing hard on the glacier on them ..she loved them, no problems no pressure points all good...... she then stood for 4 hours at -17 teaching and her toes got a a bit cold, she went to the 5 best shops in the resort to ask if they would just stretch the toe box a touch to give her toes a little more space for when she was stood around teaching...every one of the 5 shops told her in no uncertain terms that the boots were too small if she had to have ANY work done in the toe box... she knows they are not too small, I know they are not too small, but the whole of the austrian resort was set on selling her a bigger pair..probably so she could dance in them til 3am

in 20+ years of fitting boots i think i have come across less than 10 pairs of boots that are physically too small, some may be the wrong shape and appear too small, others may be down to a biomechanical issue with the foot and many more probably feel too small due to technique (sitting in the back seat will bruise your toes)
snow conditions
SCollier1, would echo what woody911 says. Ventura always seem to know what they are doing.
latest report
Just got 2 pairs of boots fitted for my girlfriend and myself at Rivington Alpine in Bolton. Exceptional service and attention to detail. Fitting took approx 5 hrs for us both and every detail was looked at and explained. Graeme the guy who runs the place was very knowledgeable and friendly. Service even included coffee, flapjacks and a big soft german shepherd to keep you entertained! Would highly recommend him and certainly be going back again Very Happy
ski holidays
I would agree with OoMpaloompa unless you are willing to travel South?
Problem with the 'big' shops is that you could get someone who is OK or someone who has been fitting boots for 2 months!
ski holidays
CEM wrote:
JonnyRocket, well i hate to tell you but the austrian was obviously out to sell you something...often we need to go down a size in salomon to get a performance fit, i don't think i have ever ha to go UP form what someone measures on a brannock device (certainly not on any recent models)

there is a vast divide as to what is too big, too small and just right but needs a bit of a tweak, i have a client who works the season in austria, she got boots from us, called me up after 4 weeks skiing hard on the glacier on them ..she loved them, no problems no pressure points all good...... she then stood for 4 hours at -17 teaching and her toes got a a bit cold, she went to the 5 best shops in the resort to ask if they would just stretch the toe box a touch to give her toes a little more space for when she was stood around teaching...every one of the 5 shops told her in no uncertain terms that the boots were too small if she had to have ANY work done in the toe box... she knows they are not too small, I know they are not too small, but the whole of the austrian resort was set on selling her a bigger pair..probably so she could dance in them til 3am

in 20+ years of fitting boots i think i have come across less than 10 pairs of boots that are physically too small, some may be the wrong shape and appear too small, others may be down to a biomechanical issue with the foot and many more probably feel too small due to technique (sitting in the back seat will bruise your toes)

It's funny how when things are hard for shops they are all out to sell you a different boot.

CEM is bang on, I have only seen 1 pair of boots that could be deemed 'too small' in my 8 years of fitting, but even then it was resolved by strecthing the Toe Box, grinding the base plate etc.

Stretching tools are extremely expensive, hence why some people don't even talk about it! Only a limited number of boot shapes out there and millions of different feet. If a shop doesn't contemplate stretching a shell or have the tools to ensure you get the best fit or mention a footbed then RUN RUN RUN!
snow report
Quote:

Stretching tools are extremely expensive, hence why some people don't even talk about it!

Jimmythefoot, tell me about it , your company has just taken anouth £500 off me for another one to back up the supply.... think that must be around £15,000 we have spent on qulaity tools to adjust boots.... but as someoen said when they saw our workshop the other week.... "you are just not rich enough to buy cheap tools" Toofy Grin
ski holidays
CEM wrote:

CEM... so what do you recommend I do with the boots ? I was going to put them up on Ebay. I would be reluctant to have another tweak done to the toe box, only to find the boots a problem again. Skiing holidays are expensive, and I'd be reluctant to have another one spoilt. Even the liners on their own are uncomfortable, and feel too short.
snow conditions
without seeing it it is impossible to say if it is right or wrong.... but..... do a shell check and let us know how much space there is behind your heel (liner out foot in empty shell toes just brushing the front...how much space (in MM not fingers) is ther behind the heel),now move your foot to the centre front to back and pivot on the heel, how much space have you got either side of the widest point of your foot?

then answer........

what size is your calf at the top of the boot?
have you got good flexion at the ankle?
what footbed are you using?
what model of boot is is?
what size?
what size shoe do you buy?
how much skiing have you done?
how often do you go?
what level of run do you enjoy best?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy