Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region

Poster: A snowHead
D G Orf - any further news on the promised snow?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wanted to thank all of your for your great posts. I am making my first trip to Wengen on 24 February and have done enough cutting and pasting from the forum to fill my week. I even joined the GBSC to save on ski rentals, group ski and social events. If I ski for six days do I need to do the heli trip or will I find enough to ski without it. Does the DOC have any group activities? I have skiied a lot but bad knees sidelined me the last few years so I want to start easy the first few days.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi teddy you should check out the DHO (down hill only club)the scgb also meets in the place every night .
then move on to other nice bars in town silvas bar in the silberhorn is nice as is the sunstar bar (jeremys bar)
in the hotel sunstar.Sinas pub and pizza place is good and so is the hotel falcen if you would like to go back in time a little.as for sking it is snowing now and I'm sure you will have a great time in Wengen.
Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chris Brookes, Good to see Fredy puts on a good party in tiffanys,had agreat lay in ,it's still snowing
and I'm skiing in 3 hrs and have another 8 weeks of it. Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowchic, your very lucky snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snow has been falling since midnight on Saturday night local time, we now have about 15 to 20 cm of beautiful fresh powder snow in the village with more up top,visability a bit poor but bring on the snow, sadly I depart Tuesday night but never mind I`ve had a great time as usuall
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I look forward to viewing the snowy pictures on your return !!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well now that I'm back I shall see what I can do, when I left last night it was still snowing slightly with snow on the ground right out as far as Basle, in Lauterbrunnen there was about 30 - 40 cm lying in the village last night with about 45 - 60 cm in Wengen, the rain on Friday and Saturday seems to have helped stick the new powder snow to the old base so once the weather clears there should be some excellent skiing in the area
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Only just over 2 weeks to go before i go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm just hoping the snow will hold out!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Inga, Should be fine baring another rain storm Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks DG Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Crumbs, 30-40 cm in Lauterbrunnen,would have loved to have seen that.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris Brookes, yes looked lovely last night, bought a tear to my eyes as I went down in the train, most of the Gardens in Lauterbrunnen were full of snow to their little fence posts, even in Interlaken there was a good 15 to 20 cm lying on the ground, of course this is a lot more than can be found on teh lower pites but the run to Lauterbrunnen from Murren has been open the whole time I was there with plenty of people saying the condition was very good
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And to see the snow around lake Thun,wow !!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A little more good news, apparently the Salzegg lift is nearing the end of its useful life and moves are now underway to replace it with a chairlift, this lift will supposedly start from the Arven chairlift bottom station and cross above the railway tracks, no definate news as to when this is likely to occur but the word from my local friends is next season or the one after, also they may well have to replace the honegg drag lift with a chair lift as it is crossed by pistes in multiple locations which apparently is now a big no no as far as safety goes, how this affects the Bumps lift I'm not sure of but it's quite possible that within a few years that it will no longer run
snow conditions
D G Orf, pictures ?
snow conditions
Bumps has been under threat for several years from lack of use. I just wish more people would realise that on a snowy day the visibility down there in the trees is great - it's an ideal way to enjoy the powder.
If Salzegg, Honegg and Tschuggen could be replaced with chairs it would make such a difference, particularly for the ski school.
snow report
Chris Brookes, give me a while ok I've got a head full of cold at the moment

telford_mike, Tschuggen is probably the least likely to be replaced, when they moved the Gummi lift bottom station to its new location they significantly reduced the risks of an accident on the Tschuggen Tbar, one of the things that the Swiss look at is the number of accidents that occur on any lift or piste each year and make changes accordingly, of all the lifts teh Salzegg has the worst record so is likely to be done first, they did add a tv camera to the top of one of the pylons to see the blind spot on the lift but that seems to have made little difference (my local friends suggest that this could be due to the lifty getting a bit of a snooze or reading his paper) The Honegg one has to be done because of the new regulations but I'm not sure when it has to be done by, it might not be until something like 2010, one theoretical possibility is a new link below Tschuggen to teh Mannlichen gondola middle station but I think it's marginal at best
ski holidays
GOOD NEWS -

The Schilthorn Bahn has opened today !!

Everyone can get access and ski down from the Schilthorn...

Im so excited ive booked a week in March 05......and i can't wait !!
ski holidays
Yipee!!!.

Ahead of the scheduled date of 12th March ( which was my last day there ). So will not require the helicopter after all

Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
That's good news....a couple of weeks ahead of schedule as well snowHead
latest report
Nice one Chris! EnjoY!
latest report
Inga, if you get the time,do visit Murren and the Schilthorn,its unspoilt and absolutely lovely. You can also (Weather permitting) ski from Murren via Winteregg down to Lauterbrunnen.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 28-02-05 19:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I will certainly endeavour to do that Chris............oooh, I'm at work and hardly able to contain my excitement!!! 4 days to go!!!
ski holidays
Inga, lucky bunny ! Wish I was going back Sad
snow report
Inga, snow-forecast has a free day today.The following link shows you the weather in Wengen for the next 6 days .

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Wengen.0to6mid.shtml

I bet when you drove to work today you wanted to be skiing,i did(stuck on beaumont hill for an hour this am snowHead snowHead )
ski holidays
same for me - just 4 days to go!

thanks Chris Brookes for that excellent weather forecast link - I was just about to fish around for the same when your opportune post was made snowHead

Gee its really cold there -6 for saturday, presumably at resort level but I see that sun will make an appearance. Still looks like winter rather than spring skiing there.

PS - they've got the min and max temps the wrong way round!!
snow conditions
hibernia, You going to Wengen too hibernia? Wonder if we'll bump into each other!

Chris Brookes, actually I was a good little girlie and walked to work this morning in my snow boots!!!!!!!!!!! It's funny isn't it how Jersey grinds to a halt every time we get a millimetre of snow!!!

Some peeps in my office didn't make it in til midday Shocked - slackers!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Inga - no, I am going to Grindelwald on Saturday. I will either be skiing with our group - 10+ and/or the SC rep in Grindelwald. We will, of course, be over in Wengen at various points and may indeed meet up. Look out for the flurescent yellow one piece Schoffel ski suit Shocked - no joking on that one!!
snow report
hibernia, Inga, don't forget to visit Murren,its pure heaven and the snow level is excellent at the mo:

Murren (1650m) 110cm
Schilthorn 2970m) 240cm

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Murren.0to6mid.shtml
snow report
Will a very cautious 60 year old lady be ok skiing to Murren Chris? I'm taking my Mum and want to make sure I don't take her anywhere that'll freak her out!
ski holidays
Inga, she might not want to ski down from Piz Gloria but take her there anyway the views are incredible and well worth the effort and she can always go back down to murren on the cablecar and ski lower down
snow report
Like David said the views from Murren are stunning if nothing else.The runs in Murren mostly consist of blue and reds,i would suggest Winteregg as its open tree line skiing and the restaurant serves lovely homemade rostis.(see the piste map link below,need Acrobat software).You can also look way way down at Wengen from there !! Laughing

http://www.schilthorn.ch/incms_files/documentbrowser/Pistenplan_Muerren-Schilthorn.pdf

Visit the pictures ive put on the snowhead gallery at

http://www.frostybear.net/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/95

Not long to go...very lucky and leave me some snow..please Laughing
snow report
Mind you its cold there at the moment, wrap up warm wink
ski holidays
I will do, I've bought myself some thermal baselayers!
snow report
need to cheer myself up a bit, but that snow forecast seems to be now inaccessible.

So lets look at the press release re the opening of the cablecar on the Schilthorn -

http://www.schilthorn.com/index.php?uid=5
ski holidays
Tomorrow morning,have a look at this webcam of Stechelberg. If the snow is good there then the snow will be fantastic up high !!

http://www.stechelberg.ch/de/willkommen.htm click on webcam .
snow report
Chris Brookes, looks like it will be fantastic higher up then Laughing

Arround 20-30 cm of snow at Lauterbrunnen, 60-70cm at Wengen, 90cm at Grindelwald, 100cm at Murren, 120cm at Mannlichen/Kleine Scheidegg,220cm at First, and 240cm at the Schilthorn, though I always take the Grindelwald/First readings with a pinch of salt as they must take them in a very sheltered spot I usually deduct 20% of of their values for a more accurate result.

Last snow was I think on the 28th and there may be a little more on Thursday and Sunday this week, otherwise the weather should be very nice, pistes are supposed to be very nice and off piste is still powder
ski holidays
It looked lovely this morning on the Stechelberg webcam... I was sad enough too try and find the webcam when we had to park overnight (Dec/Jan 05 trip)there as we had missed the last funnicular from Lauterbrunnen to Murren.The next day we drove back down to Lauterbrunnen capark via trying to find it. snowHead sad i know snowHead

Flying this time(March 05) so i wont be that sad.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 3-03-05 8:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Oh David...the good news is you tell the world how wonderful the Alpenrose is. The bad news is you tell the whole world how wonderful the Alpenrose is...

and then it will always be booked and the only slot you (well, not you, we) will ever get is the slot we had the year before if we book ayear in advance. Our friends have a favorite place in Zurs like that. They tell us if you have not been before, forget it...or go in May in the mud and establish a relationship with the owner.

Everyone: the Alpenrose is close to perfect! As long as you do not want a spa (who needs that?) and you want Switzerland as it was. Or as I imagine it was!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy