Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Wengen next month for a week snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Elizabeth B, Where are you staying ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
D G Orf, TBA. My parents are staying in the Hirschen, so when they reopen next week, I'll see what deal they'll offer (cash is really tight at the moment due to 3 ski trips). Alternatively I'm looking at Wengenlodge backpackers.....and getting my parents to buy me food!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah ha Ok well then a couple of options for you, you could try the Bernerhof at the top of the highstreet in Wengen, they are fairly cheap and the food is supposed to be fairly good, the Wengen Lodge is cheap and chearful BUT it is right at the bottom of Wengen and the Hirschen is almost at the top of Wengen with a VERY steep walk up, you could also try the Alpenrose, if you don't mind a very small room with only a hand basin in it (toilet and shower just down the hall) you could ask to have the same room I have (say I sent you ) with meals at the current exchange rate IF they will do you the same deal it should work out to about £40 per night Dinner Bed and Breakfast, they do very good food by the way. If you'd like to try that option let me know (PM me if you like) and I shall let them know which may increase the chance of a good deal for you.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the suggestions. At the moment I'm seeing what options I can come up with that involve evening meals at the Hirschen...my parents are staying half board, so it'd be nice to have evening meal with them. But I can't sort that until they reopen in a couple of weeks time.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You might try the Falken, not to far up the road to the Hirschen from there
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just booked in to the Hirschen. Sfr 69 per night, half board......not too bad (especially as it's on my dad's credit card Wink )
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Very good price actually, let us know what the hotel/food is like to stay in please
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Will do. It's a single attic room, wash basin only...bathroom on same floor. Better than a youth hostel though Wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Definately, the room I have at the Alpenrose is slightly more but not in the attic and I get a balcony with a good view so I don't mind, besides you try getting halfboard anywhere in the UK for under £35 per night !
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Its quite on this thread at the mo....

Anyone heard any news relating to the region ??
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nothing new I'm afraid, havn't heard from my friends out there since the summer season started, I expect they are a bit to busy to chat, As far as I'm aware there is only one lift being replaced this season at Innerwengen and no changes to the hotels, but I could be wrong.

There have been discussions about there being a new lift from Arven to Eigergletscher (replacing the old t-bar at Salzegg) but those discussions have been going backwards and fowards since the late 1960's as I understand it permission was obtained but the lift was never built which is why they can still consider it. Also I suspect that the bumps lift may not run next season as it was in severe finacial difficulties this year, just does not have enough useage any more, Discusions have also been had about the possibility of replacing the Honegg t-bar with a chairlift because it is crossed by multiple pistes, unfortunately the Honegg lift is subject to quite high winds so if it is replaced with a chairlift it may run less often. I did hear that further work may also be undertaken on the rail link from Zweilutchinen to Interlaken Ost with the aim being to make that 2 lines all th way but it was just a rumor
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
They're in the process of extending the double tracking area just below Brandegg to extend the crossover point (which is currently just below Brandegg) up to the station.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes Elizabeth they have been doing that for the last year or so, I think it's supposed to be finished for this winter, which may help a little with the transport system, so have you been out there and come back then ? What was the Hirshen like ?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Has anyone ventured to the Mystery Park in Interlaken. We thought this year we would take a look when we return in the summer but thought i would ask the question here first before waisting our time ?
ski holidays
Chris I have not but I do know some people who have, one thought it was rubbish the other said it was ok but not brilliant, the premis of the park seems to be that all the ancient sites like the Pyramids and Stone Henge were constructed by visitors from another world or something along those lines, it i supposed to be for families but my friends thought it was only any good for pre teens, it is also supposed to be quite expensive, apparently there is a bus from Interlaken Ost to the site.
snow report
Chris Brookes, I looked at the promotional stuff for it, and it didn't interest me at all.

D G Orf, the Hirshen was very nice. I had a single room with washbasin....basic but pleasant (and importantly had a tv to watch the Euro 2004 games on when I wanted an earlish night). My paretns had en-suite. The bedroom was an okay size, but the bathroom was quite small.

The food was great - not one bad meal. It was nicely presented and reasonable portion sizes. There was no choice, but they did say that if you didn't like the menu then as long as you let them know of a morning, then you could pay to "upgrade" to the restaurant menu. Having said that, when my mum said that she didn't like curry, they did sweet & sour for her instead, and on another occasion provided chicken nuggets (proper ones - not frozen junk!) instead of a veal fillet that had cheese in (my mum also doesn't eat cheese rolling eyes )

The hotel has a sauna and jacuzzi that you can hire out, although I limited myself to one swim in the Wengen outdoor pool (bloody freezing at first....but where else can you lie back and relax surrounded on all sides by snowcapped mountains - and getting respect from every cable car passenger!!!
snow report
Elizabeth B, it's good to hear that there is more than one traditionally run restaurant in Wengen, their attitude to dinners sounds very much like that of the Alpenrose, i.e they have a set meal but if you don't like the dish they will change it for you so long as you inform them in a reasonable amount of time, when I get the time I shall add the Hirshen to my websites list of good hotels to stay in
snow conditions
Well D G Orf, you've convinced me, 2006 will be year I go to the Jungfrau region, probably in Late January - Early Febuary.

If you don't mind me asking, when are you going next.
snow conditions
It's a good question, unfortunately I have a mother with Alzheimers and I am her carer, the problem is finding somewhere for her to stay and be looked after whilst I'm away, if I can sort out a solution I expect to be out there in early Feb, assuming I'm there I will be staying in the Alpenrose in Wengen
latest report
RICHARDB - Which resort will you be staying at ??

DG Orf - If you change your mind and stay near the end othat month let me know and we can meet up.

I dont think we will bother going to that park then,we were just considering where to go if the weather turned bad.
latest report
Chris have you tried the Ballenberg (sp?) open air musem, one day a week (it might be once a month) they do a steam train from Interlaken Ost up there the rest of the time it's normal trains and a coach, lots of different buildings from all over Switzerland with different things going on inside, meats in the smoke house a vineyard structure, charcoal burning an apothacary or doctors house and so on, lots to do and you can be there all day, I've been there in rain and sun and both times enjoyed myself. Alternativly try St Beatus Hole on the edge of lake Thun, The castles at Thun, Oberhofen and Spiez are all open to the public, or of course a trip to Bern
ski holidays
No i havent but i will add that and the others to the list of ideas,thanks David.
ski holidays
Happy to help, our Swiss friends tell us that we have seen more of Switzerland than they have, in total about 4 months worth of travelling all over Switzerland
latest report
Not long to go and we can't wait to get off this rock !!
latest report
Lucky you, I'm stuck here I know where I'd rather be Crying or Very sad
snow report
Me too Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Just pre-booked tandem paragliding for us !!Going from the Schilthorn down to Lauterbrunnen,if you are going to do, might aswell make it a big one !! Razz Razz
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Brookes, Let us know what it's like (not that I'll ever do it Laughing ) if you can get some pics so much the better Little Angel
ski holidays
Go for it. I did a paraglide years ago from the hills above Interlaken. We flew over lake Thun and landed near the shore. A fantastic experience - take a disposable camera with you!!
latest report
When you've done it I'll tell a little story ... but not until Laughing
snow conditions
I want to ask you David....but i wont until we return !! I will have plenty of video and still footage to show you David...
ski holidays
I've now seen all these places in a documentary on the alpine railway on UK Travel (or some similar channel)

Some really fantastic views, slightly spoilt by the trainspotter obsessional commentary...and whoever decided to run the railway up to the Jungfraujoch was clearly bonkers! Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

...and whoever decided to run the railway up to the Jungfraujoch was clearly bonkers!

I think his name was Adolph Guyer, he actually sketched out the route one day sitting over on the Schilthorn, if you compare his pencil sketch to the actual route built it is remarkably similar
ski holidays
I believe they mentioned the chap's name and showed the sketch, but it was between bouts of telling me about the number of cars in each set and the varying types of profile for the rack drive...and he didn't even get to see it finished!
latest report
No but he was inspired, he decided right from the start that the railway would be electricly powered, at that time no railway in the world used electricity, he also decided to use hydro power when that too was in its infancy. More importantly after the one and only fatal accident (that was not his fault) he implemented a series of safety measures that ensured there were no other deaths, compare that with any other engineering project of similar scope of that period and you will see just how impressive that was, mind you the explosives store did blow up (no loss of life) with the result that it was actually reported in the press that the mountain had moved and that the explosion was heard in Germany Shocked As a project manager and civil engineer he's definately an impressive figure, though I believe like Brunnel he too was somewhat short snowHead
snow report
I'm back safe and sound BUT didnt do the jump in the end due to high winds . I could have done one at Beatenberg but i fancied the Schilthorn jump..We are back at Xmas/New Year so will do it then. Instead we did 3 days of hiking around Murren and took some lovely pictures... Truely relaxing it was... Cool
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, now you are back.. several years ago a fellow guest at my hotel decided to do a tandem jump from the schilthorn, what made it unusuall was that he was 72years old and a preacher, he told us after the flight that whilst it had been an incredible experience his most abiding memory was looking down and seeing nothing beneath him for several thousand feet, at that point he developed the sudden desire for a quick prayer just to be on the safe side Laughing
snow report
You had me worried David...lol

Counting the days now till Xmas/New Year time when we go back..and hopefully the weather will be fine to do the jump
ski holidays
If anyone's interested the ski passes this year will have photos on if you go for 10 days or more, don't get a special photo though as they are now printed on the passes so they can either scan an existing photo (passport pic possibly) or take yours in the station, this takes a few minutes though so try to pick a quiet time if you don't want to upset anyone, from memory I think they will issue ski passes after about 5.30pm for the next day
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy