Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Quick piste question from a dumbass

Poster: A snowHead
I should know this really Embarassed

Pistes around here are marked blue red or black.
Which is the easiest, middle and hardest? ok even I know that black is the "hardest" for want of another word but which one is the easier of blue or red? I've never paid any attention to what particular piste I'm on, I don't look at the mountain that way.

thanking you already,
A. Dumbass
Wengen
CH
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
blue

Edit: and they don't do gold...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In ascending order of difficulty:

Green
Blue
Red
Black
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, I would have said red Embarassed
Green? Never heard of them, I don't think we have them here Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stab,
Quote:

Green? Never heard of them, I don't think we have them here

You do when there isn't any snow. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stab, From my experience no green in Switzerland if that's where you are. Just Blue, Red and Back in increasing order of supposed difficulty.

However, now that I am a 'more experienced' skier I am subscribing to the more enlightened viewpoint that the condition of the snow is more important than the slope grading having skied both Fond (blue) and Rhodos (red) in VT and having categorically decided that they had got the grading muddled up Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JP wrote:
stab,
Quote:

Green? Never heard of them, I don't think we have them here

You do when there isn't any snow. Toofy Grin

No such thing as no snow, you just aren't looking hard enough.
I found this lot last week hiding in the shadows, wasn't all in one place though. Made a snow skate track, run - jump - slide - quick kickflip - repeat.

Keeps me out of trouble I suppose.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 15-10-08 17:36; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Aren't they all white?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum wrote:
having skied both Fond (blue) and Rhodos (red) in VT and having categorically decided that they had got the grading muddled up Laughing

Laughing I can't believe anything where I live is black, seems a bit of overkill to me.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stab, Your idea to just ski what you find and hyweljenkins, that they are all white are, as two concepts that I've heard proposed several times before, statements that make a huge amount more sense since VT than they ever did before. iI used to think that the slope grading was the absolute news about how difficult things could be. I now know how wrong that was - all sorts of things come into it - snow quality (time of day, warm/cold, amount of use/churned up quality, powder/hard pack/corduroy/ice-y), visbility, and yes, I think I will add them separately (though they really snow quality things) SODDIN' BLOODY MOGULS Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, I've seen people absolutley spazz out once they see the black poles, they were doing fine before that. Moguls are fine until they are on the landing from somewhere, then it's my turn to spazz out.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stab, how are you on the snow skate (to side track the thread) we don't get enough snow here to have them out and about Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've done Black runs that have been easier than moguled blue runs. The grading is a very rough guide and varies greatly from resort to resort and Country to Country.

And stab, you then have the North America gradings with all sorts of Diamonds.

snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
and it's all marketing (as discussed on here before) - i.e. resort x wants to capture more of the 'family' market so downgrades a couple of blacks to reds and reds to blues and blues to greens et voila..henceforth a great family resort (well looks that way from the stats)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
arv wrote:
stab, how are you on the snow skate (to side track the thread) we don't get enough snow here to have them out and about Laughing

a bit meh, I can ride it around town ok and do some shove its/the occasional kickflip/heelflip. It's more a bit of fun when I cant do a different board activity Smile The one I can't ride is that salomon one, the pp3 with the small ski underneath, that thing is impossible.
snow report
Yeh it is hard. Good fun on the flat deck though.
ski holidays
stab, Monster Trolling esp if u got >1500 posts rolling eyes Don't try a pseuds corner and claim "Gotcha" PRICK Evil or Very Mad If its a genuine query (cha yeah wink ) then apologies but take your head out your ass and stop smoking the weed DUDE! Cool
latest report
Megamum wrote:
all sorts of things come into it...visbility...SODDIN' BLOODY MOGULS Laughing Laughing Laughing

Or both at once. That's always a fun experience Laughing
ski holidays
Does not compute Laughing
latest report
halfhand wrote:
stab, Monster Trolling esp if u got >1500 posts rolling eyes Don't try a pseuds corner and claim "Gotcha" PRICK Evil or Very Mad If its a genuine query (cha yeah wink ) then apologies but take your head out your ass and stop smoking the weed DUDE! Cool

it was a genuine question, hand on heart.
ski holidays
mark_s wrote:
Megamum wrote:
all sorts of things come into it...visbility...SODDIN' BLOODY MOGULS Laughing Laughing Laughing

Or both at once. That's always a fun experience Laughing

They aren't as scary if you can't see them Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Sage, try Verte in Val d'Isere at about 4pm. It's a green run back to La Daille, and is hilarious - bodies everywhere. As almost all of the ski schools use it it has some fantastic moguls by 3pm, only for a fifty metres or so, but some of them are quite large and all of them irregular. I had a discussion with an American woman while her husband was bricking it:

Me: Use the entire width of the piste and you'll be fine.
Her: I know how to ski.
Me: Well, looks to me like you're sh_tting yourself.
Her: This is a green run - it's ridiculous.
Me: Actually, it's white.
Her: It's obsurd to expect beginners to try this.
Me: There's a lift there - you could go back up and take the gondola down.
Her: This is stupid.
Me: This is Val d'Isere, baby, not frikkin' Whistler. You should have checked out its reputation before you came.
latest report
hyweljenkins, is that the run that starts as a track and also has a notorious area susceptible to ice about 2 thirds the way down? If so, hilarious indeed. Almost carnage on a couple of runs one December I seem to recall.
snow report
hyweljenkins, a bit mean - that is very much a one off bit of grading, even for Val d'I, and it is (for about 100metres) very misleading.

Mind you - for good skiers it is very exhilarating to take that bit straight! (But wait till it is empty).
snow conditions
Chasseur, not that I remember, but you get the Daille chair and turn off to the right towards the Mont Blanc chair, and then head down. There's a bridge you pass under before the piste splits (it's just divided by a fence) and joins Piste "G".
latest report
I've been trying to convince certain members of my family to pay a little less attention to piste gradings but they won't have it.

Think I'll just forward this thread to them!

Megamum's post in particular, and I completely concur with stab's point about people losing it just because they can see a black (or red) pole.
snow report
hyweljenkins, sounds familiar, but the run I recall (def marked green), runs down past some hideous (IMV) apartments on the left at the bottom and terminates by what I think is a bubble lift - poss not the same run? It was quite a few years ago now to be honest.
ski holidays
most of the time a black is a black or a red is a red just because of a 100 m stretch of difficult slope, otherwise it would be a lower grade. A blue with a shaded area that gets iced up can be much worse than a red !! Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, you can see how hard that stretch from the bottom of the Semanmille lift, so if you get stuck in the moguls, tough. If you're a jogger you wouldn't try for a sub-four hour marathon, would you?
snow report
Chasseur, That's the one.....for the nervous beginner (!) the tip is to definately use the entire width of the slope, and to veer right towards the very bottom. For anyone else, the tip is to drop off left before the restaurant, dip under the barriers, and use the race piste wink
snow conditions
Guvnor, I'm sure the race piste was open to all-comers when I was there Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Guvnor wrote:
Chasseur, That's the one.....for the nervous beginner (!) the tip is to definately use the entire width of the slope, and to veer right towards the very bottom. For anyone else, the tip is to drop off left before the restaurant, dip under the barriers, and use the race piste wink

Thanks - my how people seemed to lose their nerve, having handled the track with the steep drop to the left, begun to relax, reminding themselves that they were on a green run and then contending with the ice! You could almost smell the fear!
snow report
My sister "Is this run a red run cos I can't do red runs"
Me "Don't worry it's a blue"
Sis "OK then, I'll be able to ski it then".

A short while later down the 'blue' run

Sis "Why are the poles red if this is a blue run?"
Me "Cos we're in Austria, it's their national colour. You're skiing it fine so it can't be a red run can it?"
Sis "OK, I'm alright as long as it's blue"

Later that evening in the bar

Sis "Where's that long blue run we did, I can't see it on the piste map, only a red run"
Me "Err, it was that red run"
Sis "But I can't do red runs"
Me "So you keep saying"

Sis now skis red runs quite happily Toofy Grin
ski holidays
stab, think I should apologuise coz I was a bit rude last night. Sorry Embarassed it's the drink you know I should take more water with it. Little Angel
snow report
halfhand, it's cool don't worry, its the internets Smile
ski holidays
FenlandSkier wrote:
Sis "Why are the poles red if this is a blue run?"
Me "Cos we're in Austria, it's their national colour.

Brilliant. Laughing
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, nice one.
snow conditions
hyweljenkins wrote:
Sage, try Verte in Val d'Isere at about 4pm. It's a green run back to La Daille, and is hilarious - bodies everywhere. As almost all of the ski schools use it it has some fantastic moguls by 3pm, only for a fifty metres or so, but some of them are quite large and all of them irregular.

That's the very run I was thinking about, one of those bodies has been mine head first down the slope in a Superman impersonation. Sad

snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy