Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do I really need all those pockets?

Poster: A snowHead
I've just bought an alpine climbing jacket that has to serve for both climbing/ice climbing (Mont Blanc in April) as well as skiing.

Because it's a climbing jacket (Arc'teryx Beta AR), it lacks the multiple pockets of the skiing jackets I looked at. What, exactly, does everyone carry in all those pockets when out skiing?

As a newbie skiier who has yet to ski in the mountains, I'm wondering if the jacket will be appropriate and if I should consider taking a small backpack?

Am also dreading the flack I might take from the hardened climbers - the danged thing is bright fuschia (that's pink, men) - a woman wearing pink on the mountain.... talk about fulfilling a stereotype rolling eyes
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I always ski with a backpack so the only things in my jacket pockets are lip salve, a piste map & my lift pass. I've never liked anything in my pockets, especially when you take a heavy fall. With your jacket being a hard shell a small pack to carry a spare layer is really useful & you don't have to make a compremises furst thing in the morning on what gear to take for the rest of the day.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zero-G, I've seen those Arc'teryx jackets - they are very 'fuschia' aren't they Laughing Still at least if you are in the unfortunate situation of needing a helicopter they will be able to find you. There are some threads round here about do you need rucksacks and what people take on the mountain with them. Personally I was advised at my novice level to not struggle to balance the added weight of a rucksack, so I fill my pockets with all the junk I think I need during the day - phone, wallet, choccy, drink, camera etc. I use all the pockets I have.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum wrote:
I fill my pockets with... phone, wallet, choccy, drink, camera etc.
That's practically a full picnic! Shocked But thinking about it, I suppose chocolate, water and camera are essential. Especially the chocolate Smile
I have a tiny 5 litre backpack, I think I'll take spyderjon's advice and use the backpack for another layer and the three essentials.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd agree with Megamum, . I wouldn't say I was a novice but I am nervous enough round chairlifts to not want to have to be pfaffing on taking a pack off and on , then spending the duration of the chairlift ride imagining the blimming bag falling out of my hands along with the ski poles of course. [lots of paranoia there]. Of course, I do usually have DH with me, who doesn't mind the rucksack thing. I would stuff the essentials like suncream, the phone, cash, maybe goggles depending on weather, maybe hat if the weather was looking dodgy, maybe camera...hanks for sniffly nose...
Have only occaisionally worn the pack, and it was odd having it on, but DH seems to not mind as I said.

And I would not worry one bit about the FUSCHIA jacket when out skiing. Having seen some of the men's gear in Ellis B the other week, that would probably be pretty conservative.

Enjoy your trips.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon wrote:
I always ski with a backpack so the only things in my jacket pockets are lip salve, a piste map & my lift pass. I've never liked anything in my pockets, especially when you take a heavy fall. With your jacket being a hard shell a small pack to carry a spare layer is really useful & you don't have to make a compremises furst thing in the morning on what gear to take for the rest of the day.

S'funny..I'm trying to do the reverse (at times).

I've got the classic dakine backpack with camelbak carrying functions, and tended to take goggles, spare fleece layer, sunnies, multi-tool, couple of scooby snax and some suncream/lipsalve, spare contacts, couple of cable ties, small bit of rope, snowboard binding spares, insulated blanket.. (blimey sounds like the 'conveyor belt' on a Brucie Gameshow!)

3 issues with the backpack
1) Some lifties don't like you riding the lift with it on your back, and being a border it just adds to the whole getting on/off issues if you have to carry a pack separately

2) If you do get away with it then you get cold back syndrome when on the lift as the pack rises your jacket etc up, can get a bit icy..

3) Even with the right layering kit and a decent jacket I find the backpack makes my back a bit more sweaty (urgh!)

Now I've got a helmet and can mount my goggles on those (crazy frog style) even if I don't need to wear them, then I find I prefer to ride without one...and so end up with the majority of that junk in my pockets (although I cut back on some of it). Obvoiusly the back pack will come back out on longer 'mission' type days and / or when I do more off piste.

- one suggestion might be to look if you can get pockets in a under-layer. I picked up a nice north face jacket in the S&R sale (designed to go under the shell) and that's got quite good pockets...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MarjMJ wrote:
And I would not worry one bit about the FUSCHIA jacket when out skiing. Having seen some of the men's gear in Ellis B the other week, that would probably be pretty conservative.
Agreed, saw the same in EB on Sunday. Was heading downstairs to the ice climbing wall and passed the snowboarding gear - thought I'd gone blind! But that sort of thing seems acceptable on the slopes. Not so sure about the mountain face though. Oh well, I didn't pick the jacket for it's colour, picked it for it's construction. One can only imagine that the Arc'teryx materials buyers must be colour blind.

bertie bassett wrote:
one suggestion might be to look if you can get pockets in a under-layer.
And ruin the beautiful lines of my pink jacket!? Wink Good suggestion though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zero-G wrote:

Because it's a climbing jacket (Arc'teryx Beta AR), it lacks the multiple pockets of the skiing jackets I looked at. What, exactly, does everyone carry in all those pockets when out skiing?

Nothing. The pockets are there to provide versatility: just the pocket you want when you want it, for one, two , maybe four items.

That said, modern ski jackets generally have a sewn-in lift pass holder in one of the large bottom pockets. I don't know whether your climbing one does.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm O.K. with the colour. Don't know about the pockets. Have had nasty accidents both as a result of pockets & rucksacks. I don't fall that often but when I do on hard ground the earth shakes. I have a jacket which has an inside pocket with a phone icon, a mp3 player pocket, a wallet pocket, lift pass sleeve pocket etc. I put my rather bulky mobile in the indicated pocket. I had a fall on hard snow landing on my chest breaking ribs making a chest cavity just right to accommodate a mobile phone - it hurt. Objects stored in my trouser thigh pocket have resulted in pain. If the weather is not certain I find myself carrying goggles, reading glasses, sunglasses, spare layer, water, Lion bar, suncream, lip salve, tissues, money, lift pass, camera, map, GPS, mobile etc. I have a backpack with a plate that spaces off the back which avoids perspiration build up but is awkward on chair lifts but I thought the back plate would protect in a fall, not so I fell arching my back more than it should and damaged my abdominals. I also find it a faff getting things out. I now either use a miniature backpack or lots of pockets putting harder objects in midriff & leg pockets and have avoided further trauma apart from a squashed lion bar.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lechbob wrote:
I have a backpack with a plate that spaces off the back which avoids perspiration build up

That never works quite as well as advertised IMO.

If you keep your sternum strap and shoulder straps tight, the plate squishes down the voids under the top layer of the jacket. Sweat is now trapped under midlayers instead of between jacket and backpack.

I wore a light Deuter 25L pack on Mt. Washington, over a HH jacket and a Patagucci Regulator fleece. Deuter has the mesh standoff, and it should transport perspiration through the mesh, right? When I took the pack off at the ~3hr mark, there was such a *puff* of steam through the jacket that my partner 100 feet below started cursing me for having a cigarette.

Quote:

I also find it a faff getting things out.

Yes.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zero-G wrote:
What, exactly, does everyone carry in all those pockets when out skiing?

Some cigars and a small hip-flask of Armagnac
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wearing a pack can be an integral part of your layering system. As in, you will notice the temp difference when you don't wear one.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I wore a light Deuter 25L pack on Mt. Washington, over a HH jacket and a Patagucci Regulator fleece

You forgot to tell us what brand your underpants are.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zero-G, I normally use a backpack for all my stuff. I come from a mountaineering background, where you generally don't fill pockets with junk. One aspect is that you pay a small fortune for a breathable material in your jacket - every pocket with stuff in it means that it doesn't breathe there. It is not so noticeable skiing, as you don't generate as much heat or moisture, but slogging up hills it makes a big difference.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pockets? Just a wallet and a phone. Anything else I take is too large to fit in a pocket or isn't required very frequently (fleece, bottle of water, GPS logger, and so on) so it goes in a pack.
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

I wore a light Deuter 25L pack on Mt. Washington, over a HH jacket and a Patagucci Regulator fleece

You forgot to tell us what brand your underpants are.
Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
RobinS has it spot on IMO

as for colour - i am all in favour of a little colour on the mountain. if you start taking fashion hints from male British climbers, you're in real trouble IMO
snow report
 brian
brian
Zero-G wrote:
Am also dreading the flack I might take from the hardened climbers - the danged thing is bright fuschia (that's pink, men) - a woman wearing pink on the mountain.... talk about fulfilling a stereotype rolling eyes

I bet you have flowers on your skis as well. wink Laughing

btw, what colour is taupe ? Confused
ski holidays
Lechbob mentions leg pockets, which can be very useful - less likely to injure yourself on things stowed below knee height. I'm struck with the number of "wallets" folk are carrying. I just have a credit card, a note or two and a few coins. Wallets are much too bulky. I don't mind a pack, and on a long day, or an uncertain one, will carry one with spare stuff for my OH - he needs a lot, being a diabetic, and because he has stiff shoulders he finds getting a pack on and off on chairlifts is very difficult. I always take mine off on chair lifts;it's an automatic reaction now to shrug it off as the chair comes round. "Smart" lift passes are a great step forward; I have mine on an elastic round my neck, under my mid layer - as recommended by the lift company - because if it's on the mid line it's more likely to be read by detectors on either side. And less likely to get too close to credit cards, car keys, or other items which can interfere with the signals. If I go anywhere now where you have to stuff the things into the machine I find it very annoying - we soon take these advances for granted.

I have a super small back with a frame and very effective "off your back" arrangement, which I wear for walking, but I can't wear it skiing at the same time as a helmet because, as I found to my embarassment one day, it makes it impossible to schuss. In that "head back" position the top of the pack meets the helmet. So I had to schuss looking not very far ahead of me, and it felt extremely precarious, but I couldn't face the walk which I'd have had if I'd slowed down.
latest report
pam w, I on;y carry one wallet Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I personally don't feel the need to carry much with me either - cash goes in shin pocket, sunglasses/goggles (whichever I am not wearing at the time) go in chest pocket. Lipsalve goes wherever else. Lift pass in pocket in left hand upper sleeve. That's about it (unless off piste, of course). I also tend to check the weather report before I go out in the morning, and speak to people in the know regarding prevalent conditions or upcoming changes in the weather, so can make the call on extra layers before I go out....
snow conditions
brian, muddy pale browny/green
ski holidays
Shades of taupe here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taupe
snow conditions
my pockets tend to be full of snow as i forget to zip them...everyething else is generally in my pack..and never had any issue with packs and lifts
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Megamum, cathy, thanks ... and named after a mole, who'd have thought it. Armed with this info, I shall now impress mrs b during her next sortie into the world of soft furnishings. Toofy Grin
latest report
Suncream, lip salve and sunglasses/hard case in a bottom pocket.
Bottle of water in the other bottom pocket.
Piste map/insurance details in the upper pocket
'Smart' lift pass in an arm pocket
Phone and MP3 player in the inside pocket
Wallet and maybe a buff or hat in trouser pocket

I get the feeling I carry too much stuff with me Shocked

Edit:
And having felt like I was going to freeze to death on a few long, slow crappy charlifts in the first few days at the EoSB, carrying a spare layer round can be very useful Smile
latest report
As per mark_s, but no MP3 player and generally no water
Plus keys, goggles, tissues, snacks (e.g. mini-Mars) and reading glasses
Also, usually one item each from the rest of the family.
I find I am always a pocket short.
rolling eyes
snow report
In jacket pockets... nothing. Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
car keys, wallet, lip salve oh and the all important mobile (to contact Mrs Fred so she can get the drinks in -see below)

anything else I may need is in the pack carried by Mrs Fred - she has her book in the pack as well. When she has her frequent pit stops she does not get bored waiting for me to return from my adventures.
ski holidays
This thread definitely needs reviving.
snow conditions
brian wrote:
I bet you have flowers on your skis as well. wink Laughing
God no (if I had skis)! I have a strong aversion to anything floral. I believe flowers belong in nature, not on my person (don't want to look like I've skinned my granny's sofa!)

Hurtle, that thread is quality Very Happy

Thanks all, some useful info here. I suspect my EDC will be very simple (and should fit in my tiny backpack):
* Lift pass
* Water
* Mid layer
* Chocolate
* Money/credit card (no wallet)
* Camera

Living in London and constantly being bombarded with noise pollution I am looking forward to hearing nothing but the sound of my skis gliding over the snow and the wind rushing past me - so won't carry an iPod.
And the rebel in me would prefer to be non-contactable when I'm out skiing, so boo to the phone *cue responses about safety and being able to call for help when lying off-piste with two broken legs* hey, I like to live dangerously Toofy Grin

I see this topic is a little bit of a
Can of worms
snow report
I'm with you, sans ipod. I like the can of worms snowHead
snow conditions
Patch wrote,
Quote:

Some cigars and a small hip-flask of Armagnac

I like your style Very Happy , see you in the cigar lounge at the Trofana Royal wink
ski holidays
My backpack has a water reservoir thingy in it. Fellow skiers have been known to "josh" me about this and later in the day to start begging me for "bitty". You know who you are! snowHead
snow report
Lechbob, very cool location BTW wink
ski holidays
Best way of carrying cash and cards is one of these http://www.smartmoneyclip.com/?gclid=CNiSh7i-qZYCFQuY1QodOD5lzQ (play the video, you'll love it Very Happy )

Why all the pockets? Well, before 1980-something when Nevica deduced that "pockets mean pounds", ski jackets generally just had the two on the front and one inside. Nevica started stitching them in all over the place and had great success. At one time it was virtually the only jacket to be seen in (where's the puke smiley?) and people happily paid a premium for all those extra pockets. More pockets meant that retailers could better justify stocking huge quantities of the stuff. Honestly, their success was largely down to pockets. Net result is that all others followed and now we all have to stand at the top of the run checking zips for 35 minutes before setting off.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, Laughing

DSC00122
DSC00123
DSC00124
snow conditions
Bode Swiller wrote:
At one time it was virtually the only jacket to be seen because, once you'd looked at a nevica, you couldn't actually see anything else for about 40 minutes

As demonstrated above. That's AWESOME Cool I need one of those and a pair of vuarnets for true "Dad Style" (TM).
snow conditions
 brian
brian
I am proud to say that in 26 years of skiing I've never owned a Nevica jacket. Although I did have a mid-80s Berghaus with a fairly "vivid red", for the purposes of this thread I should probably call it cerise wink , stripe across the front.
snow report
arv wrote:
I like the can of worms
Why thank you, kind sir! I have plenty more where that one came from, usually found on the pantry shelf next to a stack of large wooden spoons.
Btw, compared to your jacket, my fuschia monstrosity looks decidedly conservative Shocked

Cunners Hey, don't knock the Vaurnets. Had a pair of those bad boys back in the very early 90s Embarassed
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy