Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

travel insurance without UK residency requirements

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I've been living in Germany for 3 years and now want to ski for a season in France, but because of the residency requirements of most (all?) british travel insurers, I'm having problems finding insurance that would cover me. I've tried searching for German insurers but they are all incredibly expensive or will only cover for a few weeks and not a whole season. So does anybody here know of a company (British, French or German) that would cover me for a whole season?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure about complete season, but for normal travel, I think mine is Flexicover (had a different one before, but forget which). It is a UK policy, but you specify which country to be your "home" country, and this is where the travel must start from. Obviously there's an extra premium for non-UK residence, but it's not excessive.

Insurance seems to be one thing that totally escaped the EU common market and freedom of movement.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Surely living in Germany for the last 3 years you have some sort of health cover do you? If so then your provider should be able to quote you for travel insurance. I dont live in the UK and have my travel cover through my health insurance provider.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
what risks are you looking for the travel insurance to cover?
at some point you leave the realm of travel insurance and into household, health insurance etc
latest report
 brian
brian
sar_m, if it's primarily to cover you for the actual skiing rather than the travelling, try carte neige.

Here's a davidof article that might help ...

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Articles/Insurance-For-Backcountry-Skiing-And-Snowboarding
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks for the ideas. I should have probably mentioned that I'm a student in Germany and am therefore covered under my EHIC, so don't have any other insurance in Germany, but the companies in Britain that I've asked have said I also don't fulfil their residency requirements (most of them have said i've got to have stayed in the UK for 6 of the last 12 months).

Brian- that article is very useful I'm going to look into some of the companies it mentions.

A combination of carte neige and EHIC might be ok but I'm not sure if this would be enough. Would this cover me to be sent back to Britain if I was seriously injured? Also in the article on pistehors it says it only covers medical expenses up to 3800 euros, would my EHIC then cover the (potential) rest or could I end up with a BIG bill?

Arno-I primarily want to be insured for skiing on and off piste, but ideally I would want some general medical insurance so if I slip in resort and break my leg or something I'm covered and something that will get me home if im seriously injured either skiing or not. It would also be nice to be covered if my skis were stolen, but at the moment I'm having real problems finding anything so this isn't a priority.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sar_m, take a look at the offerings of some of the national mountaineering clubs - eg austrian alpine club has always had a good reputation for reasonable rescue insurance
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Try International Health Insurance danmark a/s. They do world wide cover as their usual policy and it seems reasonable. What they cover in terms of medical expenses is far greater than anyone I've looked at. I had health insurance through them years ago - they were excellent and reasonably priced.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy