Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice for family looking for ski resort in Austria?

Poster: A snowHead
birba, Hooray! Well done on making a start! Austria was my first ski holiday and I loved it - sure you will too!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i`ve decided at last! we`re going to Seefeld! We`re going to book an apartment in the next few days, there was a lovely one called Hous Dresden, anybody know what its like?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just do it girl, you will not regret it. Our Austrian friends will not rent out crappy accommodation so dont worry. Enjoy..... Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Obertauern is a fabulous resort for your needs with pretty much guarenteed snow. 1 hour from Salzburg- same as Kitzbuhl. Some great Hotels, good schools,good bars.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As somebody who is returning to Obertauern next January and will probably clock up even further visits there, I would have to say it is not a place I would take my young kids. No public pool or other kids' non skiing activities, the shoppping is pretty lame and the resort is a fairly charmless straggle along the main road. I haven't been to Seefeld but it sounds as if it has more character. Also the snow-guaranteeing height of Obertauern means you often have white outs while the live webcam feeds on local TV show the neighbouring (lower) resorts enjoying perfect visibility.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
we are definately going to Seefeld we booked an apartment called Landhaus Charlotte which looked lovely in the photos and isn`t that expensive and what`s even better is that now 2 firends of ours are coming with us too they booked the same block of apartments! I`m really looking foward to this holiday i`m really excited! anyone know of any good websites that sell moon boots? Thank you to evreyone for all the very good advice.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
birba, well done! Sure you'll have a wonderful time. Depending on what you mean by moon boots, take a look at Ebay - quick search with just the words moon boots returned this http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1311&_nkw=moon+boots&_sacat=See-All-Categories - may be useful even to get an idea of what is available Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Birba

The best family ski resort in Austria is Serfaus. It is not easy to get accommodation at peak times but the kids ski programs and the resort are the best in Austria for families. It is at the upper end of the market in Austria and prices reflect that but I ski it very often and would rate it the best for families. St Anton is great for many things but crowded and steep lower slopes, ski buses and some pretty intense apres ski make it not ideal for families. Zell and Kitzbuhel are also good options but Serfaus (or the neighbouring Ladis and Fiss) is the best: http://www.ineedsnow.com/ski-holidays-austria/serfaus/serfaus.html

matt
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Birba

I have just seen that you are off to Seefeld - great for families and Innsbruck just a short train ride down in the valley. Superb snow record as well, nothing much yet apart from some north facing slopes (I was close by today) but we have snow coming in the next few days it seems. Have a great time and try and fit in some tobogganing.

matt
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
i`m so happy the snow record is good and that it will get snow soon, thanks for the info Matt! Thanks Anniepen for the advice too! I got a ski jacket yeasterday in tk maxx it`s a kids one so i got it at a good price, still have to get ski trousers and boots for my daughter. what other gear do we need? Do we need things like thermal vests ect? and do you wear you normal clothes under the ski ones? Do we need sunglasses even in winter and sun lotion? sorry for all the questions just trying to find out as much as possible. I can`t wait to go and make a huge snowman and we will try tobogannig too! Sorry another question, is the railway line very steep from innsbruck to Seefeld?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
birba, Definitely you will need goggles and sun cream
Most folk will have sun glasses as well for nice days but goggles win hands down on cold snowy days
You will need a mix of clothes and will end up taken too much most of the time you are learning you are likely to be too hot
Its worth getting good hats and gloves that keep the wet out TK Max had some gortex ones last time I was in if your budget runs to that.
Enjoy Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
birba, You will definitely need sunglasses and at least a category 3 pair - the sun is very strong up the mountains with it reflecting off the snow. You will also need some high factor sun cream (as you'll probably be of similar skin tone to me being from Ireland - ie pale blue)- get the wee tubes of ski specific ones as they have a lip balm thing too. Probably wear 3 layers for top half - base layer (eg thermal or drifit type thing), mid layer *(light fleece or similar) and outer layer (waterproof jacket - does not necessarily need to be thick, but ideally wind and waterproof). I would also be tempted to buy a fleecy pair of gloves in addition to ski gloves. I hate how bulky ski gloves are and ski 80% of time with a pair of fleecy ones that are windproof and they keep my hands warm enough. I only wear ski gloves when it's snowing. TK Maxx is a good place to hunt for stuff. If you're buying goggles buy the ones with the orange lense as this helps in flat light (ie when its cloudy). Otherwise you'll probably wear your sunglasses most of the time
* a soft shell is a good idea as you can use this if warm enough as your outer layer.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
All this talk of St Anton, and not a word of the Nazzerein end of town - its till got the gondola access
but its much quieter
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
birba, you will be able to. Seefeld has an incredible snow record.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gazza2, I know where you're coming from and whilst I love St Anton, I really do not think staying in the village, even at Nasserein is the best of the options available for beginners. ST Christoph and Lech/Oberlech, definitely but not St Anton
ski holidays
boabski wrote:
gazza2, I know where you're coming from and whilst I love St Anton, I really do not think staying in the village, even at Nasserein is the best of the options available for beginners. ST Christoph and Lech/Oberlech, definitely but not St Anton

I agree - where do you progress to on gampen/kappel once you've mastered the basic nursery slopes, oberlech is a much better alternative IMHO.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy