Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone been to Nassfeld?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off on my annual group ski trip to Nassfeld in Austria, end of Jan 2009. I can't find that much information about it though because it's not very well known with the British market.

We're actually staying in Jenig, which by the sounds of it is a VERY quiet village 2km from Tropolach where the main ski lift is. You get a ski bus there every day, which takes about 10 minutes.

From the looks of it it's got a very good lift system and is mostly red runs with a few blacks which is ok.

Has anyone ever stayed there? Any tips for skiing and apres-ski? I get the impression everyone goes for a drink at the end of the day's skiing near the main lift station, then disappears for the evening.

I'm a bit worried that we'll be stuck in our chalethotel with nothing to do in the evenings because Tropolach's too far to walk back. I like a good night out!

It's not me who's booked it by the way.

I did do a search but not much has been said about it other than it's quite good - and the name means "wet field" ! Confused
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Its a great ski area with a good snow record, and very scenic. think it has a bout 110km of pist and there is some easily accessable of piste sprinkled among the runs. Generally no ques to worry about. Mountain restaurants and reatauarants and bars in general cheaper than elsewhere in Austria and much cheaper than France, 3 euro for half a liter of beer ish. Jenig is pretty quiet (although very pretty) think there are only a couple of hotels there, you could prob walk down to rattendorf which is about 800m away and has a restaurant bar. Tropolach has barenhutte at the bottom of the milenium gondola which has typical austria apres ski. Next to Barrenhutte is the cube which has a couple of pretty lively bars and a massive nightclub which is also quite busy till about 4 am most nights. There are also a few other bars in tropolach, and a few hotel bars, a nice one in the 4 star hotel which i forget the name of. There are also a couple of good-ish places in Hermagor which is a bout a 10 min taxi ride away from Jenig. All in all you are probably going to have to make use of a few taxi's if you want to get on it, but they are generally not expensive and Jenig is a 5 min taxi ride from Tropolach so not really a drama. The apres is not going to be Solden or Ischgl but there is enough to do to have a really good time, espeacially if the Cube is lively......
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For more info

http://www.ultimate-ski.com/Ski_Resorts/Austria/Nassfeld/index.html
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's really helpful, thank you very much Smile As long as we can get a taxi back at some ungodly hour, that's fine. I've experienced St Anton nightlife and I doubt much can top that haha.

OK, looking forward to it now!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Picadilly wrote:
I'm off on my annual group ski trip to Nassfeld in Austria, end of Jan 2009. I can't find that much information about it though because it's not very well known with the British market.

Oh, yes. One of the last secret resorts hidden from the Brits. Very Happy
Very good pistes, good snow (sometimes too much), but it is not famous for its nightlife
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Also in this ski book (approx 10 pages on the resort) I just bought called "White Weekends" by Tom Robbins..
http://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Weekends-Where-Stay-Party/dp/0593060156?tag=amz07b-21 Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Was there around 2 seasons ago and agree with all the above posts and yes you will most likely be the only British there.
The Bear House is the main ski bar in the afternoon and you can't miss it as its right beside the car park.
Check out whats on in The Cube for the dates you are there and if you just want a quite drink in plush surroundings head for that 4 star hotel over by the lift station.
A cash machine is located in the lift station.
Also check out Heinz's bar just of a piste if you can find it,cant quite remember exactly where it is so ask around,its really small but does a great Wheat Beer & Wurst with horseradish.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nassfeld was one of my 'local' resorts when I used to live out in Carinthia, and it really is a hidden gem. Back then there wasn't really a resort as such, as it was before the big millenium gondola, but the skiing is fab, quite varied, and easy to navigate. Plenty of easy and accessible off/between-piste and good fast lift system.

Can't really help with nightlife etc. but you will have great skiing anyway! I hear the Cube is a place for young things so I guess the bar there would be lively. Taxis are quite cheap generally, so you should be able to get to/from Tropolach at night if you want.

D
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all for your help, much appreciated. I'll make sure I report back afterwards!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
im looking at going to nassfeld over new year
the only reasonably priced airport i can get flights to is venice
has anyone travelled from there using trains/busses
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nigel b, have you checked Klagenfurt airport. Ryanair flies there from London Stansted. There is direct transfer from the airport to the ski resort.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you drop the tourist office an email they will get back to you and give you some advice. They could also arrange taxi's for you, think they do this for about E50 each way per person or less for a big group.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kerekip, JimSearle, ive tried the main airports around the resort ,Klagenfurt,Graz, Ljubljana and Trieste but they have either no flights or stupidly expensive due to xmas/new year
im the wrong side of london for stansted so i usually go for gatwick/heathrow/luton

i emailed the nassfeld website and they could only offer me a transfer from klagenfurt

at the moment ive found accomodation,return flights to venice with an overnight stopover,the transfer is my missing link!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Klagenfurt is on the Vienna - Venice line and I think there are regular trains (jpurney is roughly 3 and half hours). From Klagenfurt you can take a train to Villach and from Villach to Hermagor where you can take a bus to Nassfeld/Tropolach. You should be able to book through rail Europe.

http://www.raileurope.co.uk/Default.aspx?tabid=36

Could you not book a small car prob as cheap if there are a few of you.

Its a good resort so Im sure it will be worth it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nigel b, we're flying to Klagenfurt end of Jan with Ryanair, and I live in Hampshire as well. Stansted's really not a problem.. it also means we get 8 days skiing - result!

Whereabouts are you staying?
ski holidays
Picadilly, im thinking of using boardnlodge
http://www.boardnlodge.com/
i had a look at the ryanair flights and they came to something like £400!!
were almost certain to go to venice
spend the night there and part of the saturday then transfer by train to nassfeld

JimSearle, thanks for your help with the trains
there is only 2 of us so a car wouldnt be worth it

we can go from venice to hermagor
hermagor to villach
depends on what train we take depends on the transfer ut were in no rush(i did have a look at going overnight-be in the resort by 8.00am!!)

on the austrian train website they can give you times and prices from villach back to venice but cant give you prices from venice to hermagor!
snow conditions
Venice for a night and then a nice train journey through the Alps, actually sounds quite tempting! Def beats the overnight caffiene fueled mad dash through france that I will be doing on the 26th!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy