Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

when do kids use poles?

Poster: A snowHead
My little one is asking to use sticks like Mummy and Daddy. He's been skiing only once and is nearly 4 - not sure it's really time to introduce poles into the mix is it?!?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
adance, Probably not yet. My 6 year old will be 7 when he next skis and has done 30 days full ski school plus kindergarten stuff before that. He will get to use poles this season.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What level has he got to?

Once they have mastered controlled snowplough turns on easy terrain, then I'd start them taking poles. They clearly aren't going to be doing pole-plants at this stage, but poles are useful for so many other things, so get used to carrying them sooner rather than later. You can always leave them by the side of the run for a pole-less ski.

The above applies to adults as well as kids!

#1 son started was perfectly happy taking poles at three and half: http://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo?photo_id=78045753&album_id=24872733
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
He's mastered snowplough and turns quite well - managing to stop too which is a bonus!!! Maybe I'll look at it for the next holiday - see how it goes.

thanks
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
adance, I'd agreestoatsbrother that it would be best for him to wait a while. However, if he's very keen to be a "grown up" skier I wouldn't want to spoil his enthusiasm. How about telling him that once he's learnt to carry his skis himself, he can add poles too? If he's already carrying his own skis, and is so keen, go for it!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Our ski instructor friend tells us they are allowed to use poles when they stop using them to beat each other up in lessons
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
genepi, but that happens in adult classes Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My daughter used poles in February for the first time full time - she was 8 and was on her 4th yearly skiing trip and 4th week of 1/2 day ski school - she also had them a couple of days the previous year. My youngest who was 5 and on 2 full year of ski school (and one abortive week when he was 3 yrs) tried poles for the last few days this year, but got into a right pickle with them on the button lift at MK this year Embarassed apologies if any snowheads were there that day. He got on much better when I took them away from him. His sister was fine and is a full time carrier, if not user of poles (a bit like me Embarassed , but they are useful for rescuing kids from steep slopes. Laughing )
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sort of similar to the previous posters but I found poles to be a bit competitive. My youngest is 5 but in classes with a few years older than him and he was the only one without poles. He really wanted to be the same as the others but once he had them found them difficult to hold on the lifts etc. I would recommend not using poles until they have mittens or gloves which fit quite well so they can grip the poles properly when needed.

That said part ofthe deal to have poles as that would no longer need to push him along onthe flat bits so not all bad then.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My younger brother has just turned 8, been skiing since he was about 3, and only started using poles towards the end of last season. He kept saying he wanted them because everybody else did, but we found they actually just complicated matters and he was a far better skiier without them, as it allowed him to focus a lot more on what his skis were doing, rather than trying to force himself to use poles for turns etc. In fact, he only really started using poles at all when we started taking him in little bits of off-piste!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
genepi wrote:
Our ski instructor friend tells us they are allowed to use poles when they stop using them to beat each other up in lessons

I used to be a fencing instructor and the childrens class was always a struggle... try stopping a gang of 6 year olds from prodding each other left, right and centre Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Actually they took on the safety message pretty well. It was more a case of banging swords together at foot level whilst waiting to take to the piste. Stopping the fifteen year old girls from smoking weed in the changing rooms was another matter altogether hehehe
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarpa, if you can't beat them...Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
poles at this age actually used for poling- that is pushing along in flat/uphill bits. If no poles then instructor has to push the little darlings-

so if junior is getting out and about on the mountain- s/he needs poles.....

or a very kind father/instuctor....(not me then)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
edsilva, I must admit that even given my youngests ineptitude with poles on the lift I will still let him try with them on holiday next Feb purely because it does help them get up the slight inclines that seem endemic in most places. The eldest has been far more independant since having poles. I favour the self approach myself - if they want to ski then they carry their own skis to the slope and if I can get poles in their hands then they get themselves up inclines unless I am feeling incredibly benevolant or I know they are tired. My own skis weigh enough to carry without having to carry theirs too, and I still find negotiating uphill sections myself awkward enough let along trying to shift them as well unless I take my skis off and stack them somewhere until the kids are on the level.
snow report
Best thing about letting them have poles - they can push themselves along on the flat Toofy Grin

Ended up completely sh@gged pulling my twin boys along before they had poles
ski holidays
Our kids were desperate to have poles. I think they got them on their 3rd ski hol when they were 7, possibly 8, by which time they were skiing pretty much any marked run. Fortunately there was only one bit of poling needed at Sunshine, where we skied at that time, but as Boris suggests that's enough; my arms were so stretched that I could undo my ski boots without bending over.
snow conditions
Does everyone feel that their little ones should be carrying their own skis Puzzled
ski holidays
When in Poland Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Quote:

Does everyone feel that their little ones should be carrying their own skis

Instructors generally insist that they carry them, and that they pick themselves up when they fall down.... but even if you weaken and carry his skis, you shouldn't have to carry sticks too! It's a good argument to use to counter the "I want sticks like grownups" arguments. OK, once you can carry your skis, you can have sticks. wink Even a 4 year old should see the logic, even if they don't like it.
snow conditions
adance, I think your kid is far too young to be carrying poles. However they all want them. It's easy to disabuse them... make them put on the wrist straps properly and take them off properly every lift you come to - they soon decide the sticks are not worth the effort! They should carry their skis, and of course carrying the sticks too is just too hard. I carried my own skis since I was 3 - never did me any harm! Basically no-one should have poles until they can ski without waving their arms around .. so with kids this is later than with adults. Also they will learn to skate on the flats which is a good skill to have, will get better independent balance - I coud go on, but I won't. Good luck, and be firm. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy