Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

vallee blanche/talking books

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This is on my list of "things to do before I die" and March next year is looking good. Now that I have discovered listening to talking books in the car I fancy driving there for a long weekend. Please could you lovely people supply me with any tips. Accomodation, lifts, guides, going with a group, apres ski, anything.......... Thanks.
PS recently listened to Ken Follet's Whiteout read by the latest Doctor Who chap. Lasted me all the way to Brussels and back, much, much better than flying and all the grief that brings. ....Any recommendations on talking books too? Many thanks, Simon
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I also like driving but Cham for a long weekend might be tuff, and expensive if you have not got a car full.

Books in recent trips I have done-
Stephen Fry reading Harry Potter all 7! will get you there and back plus some.
Stalin Court of the Red Tsar
recently I have taken to downloading podcasts (free) and listening to those, especially comedy.

If you are doing a weekend mission keep a careful eye on the Meteo www.chamonet.com/weather_forecast.p as it can be a show stopper.
Guides there are plenty to choose from and all charge much the same, Kenton Kool at www.dream-guides.com/ stands out
Apres there is only one place Chambre 9 and it just happens to be where you finish, has accommodation too. Get a curry over the road at Tiger, job done.

Lots more info here www.chamonet.com/ and elsewhere on this site.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hope you're not scared of height! The ski-ing is fine (I understand) but seeing people walking the ridge scared me off. Also the increase in altitude from the rapid ascent caused an old guy in the cable car to throw up everywhere, making it a less than fragrant journey.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Simon, iPod - podcasts - Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, etc. etc.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
P.S. Fancy learning a language? If you have a pause button on your CD player that you can use when driving, the Michel Thomas series are pretty amazing and will really work in a few hours.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Getting down the ridge in ski boots must be a bundle of fun. Done it several times in snowboard boots, including once with crampons on which really takes all the fun out of it... you could run down it with them on!

The actual skiing on the vallee blanche is pretty straightforward, indeed a hefty chunk of it is pretty dull. There are much, much better off-piste days to be done in the Chamonix valley, but it's still worth it for the whole experience. If you're an experienced off-piste skier/boarder and into steeps, try to find some like-minded people to do it with and get your guide to take you on the Envers du Plan (or the Petit Envers) or even the Vrai Vallee Blanche rather than the tourist route. Of course, this means convincing your guide that you're up to it if they haven't seen you ski beforehand...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We listened to some stuff from Ranulph Fiennes (thats probably spelt wrong) the explorer guy. that was pretty cool. The ridge thing didn't seem like that big a deal for us. We were tied together and the guide took our poles and it really wans't much of a problem. We skied a bit of a differnet route to the normal one. they all split off to the right after coming down the ridge whereas we went more or less straight on for a bit. Was untracked at the top and really nice snow. Defintiely worth doing, just not the most challenging thing ever.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We skied the VB a few years ago. It was well worth it.

My advice to you would be not to ski it until you have been in Cham for a few days, you can suffer from the altitude (as i did last year when we went up after only 1 day in the resort). The year before it was fine as we had been there for about 5 days before we did it. It's not bad but it can make you feel pretty dizzy until you get down a bit. And you need full concentration on some bits.

We used a guide form Evolution 2 who are based in Ogier Sports in the town centre. Very good. They will provide you with all the harnesses, transceivers etc. Just turn up with your skis, a packed lunch and plenty of fluid. I took a back pack which holds my skis for the arête walk at the top. If you book a guide they also sort out your tickets for the lift. You need to have the full valley pass, otherwise you will need to pay extra.

There are loads of routes to choose from and we skied a medium level one. A few hairy bits around crevasses but the guides know what they are doing. It took about 3 hours with a lunch stop on the glacier. The best lunch break i've ever had.

Enjoy it, it's awsome. Much better than skiing crowded reds/blues in Meribel NehNeh
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the tips and advise chaps. I'll start making a plan
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I slipped whilst walking across the Arette, which at the time was narrow and icy. My life flashed before my eyes, and I found out what colour adrenaline really is.... Shocked

A few minutes later, all was forgotten, as I spent a truly unforgettable day in surroundings normally reserved for the Ntional Geographic or Discovery channels Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

Ice cave

Bottom of the Arrete on a windy day

You might get this but not on the main track.

Look out for holes.

Avalanches not the biggest issue but possible

Can be lumpy at the end
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Take a rucksack that has some sort of strap arrangement for your skis and poles. Useful for the first walk down, and also for the walk up to the bubble at the end (or in our case all the way up to the station as the bubble wasn't working (mid-April 87). Have a brilliant run! snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks again everyone. Quite a few of my friends have now expressed a willingness to join me so I'm now looking for a chalet nearby. For maybe up to a week, early March. Anyone got one? We are all house trained!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy