Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Rentals - how to spot a decent pair of skis in the shop?

Poster: A snowHead
As a family, we have our own skis. Bought after studying reviews, taking good advice (mostly from this site!), and being 'considered' purchases.

However, for a future boys weekend trip we're not taking skis - renting in resort instead.

Is there an easy way to spot a 'decent' set of skis, quickly, in the rental shop?

Or, more importantly, how to spot the crud?

I can check the edges and bases easy enough, but how can I make sure that the skis offered will be appropriate for me?

Incidently - intermediate, on-piste skiers.

Thanks,

SM

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 10-10-08 23:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shockingmoment,

Depends on the time you go..too early in the season and the shop might want to keep this years new stock back if the conditions are poor.

I always paid for premium and picked them out myself. If I felt the shop was trying to palm any old stuff onto me, I'd go elsewhere.

Get there in the evening after the days skis have come back, this is more crucial on changeover days. The shop might want to service these but thats ok, you can go and pick them up in the morning after you have settled on your choice and reserved them. Leave a boot ( shell ) if need be for that quick pick up and getaway on the way to the lift.

It is good to have a wish-list but that can get blown apart by the shops stock. Be prepared to shop around..not on price so much, but on choice.

The techs will/should have good knowledge of their stock. Be honest with your skill-set and they should be pleased that they have set you up on a ski that you will enjoy.

If the resort is quite big the range should be good and you'll find something...the problems come when you only have 2 or so shops to choose from.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you own skis, why rent??? I take my skis even if I'm skiing for one day as I know what I'm getting, know they have been serviced and don't have to spend valuable time wondering hire shops trying to find what I want!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SM, for 'suitability' it is probably good to stick to the brands you know. You said you researched when you bought your own skis so you have a certain amount of information already. Like, for example, I know next to nothing about present Rossis line up and so I would avoid them if I were to rent. As JT said a decent shop will have a wide enough choice.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We bought our skis some time ago - mine are Salomon X Scream 8. Better skies than I'll ever be a skier! that probably applies to most skis - for me at least.

6 of us so with luggage etc, skis too much hassle for a weekend.

I suppose if they're recognised brand, shiny and new, with good edges and bases - they'll probably be fine for what we need?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 10-10-08 19:29; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Turns'turns, oddly enough Firefox doesn't like your name. Had to edit it between someone else's brackets for bolding. IMV brands tend to stick reasonably to their own categories. I would expect a detuned GS ski from Rossignol today to behave generally like my 9XOs from 2001. Or, at least, to suit me generally as well as they did.

shockingmoment, (see? that worked fine...): again, IMV. 1. you don't want to spot the "decent" skis. You want to spot the best shop. And it's not easy. The best shop will have the best skis, best service and if you don't like what you just did the home run on, they'll swap them for something else.

Things to look for:
- hand finishing or hand servicing
- a great welcome, time spent advising on rentals rather than handing you a pair
- asking the ski tech, "how long have you worked here?"-> A. 2 weeks=bad, A. "my 6th season"=good,
- a generally nice environment and a very clean and tidy workshop (actually, that might be the most important)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, read the OP again... slowly...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry, didn't really answer with that. The best skis look good, have properly repaired bases (i.e. no holes, no crappy repairs) - in fact the bases should look like new), they should be waxed and sharpened after every use, they should be clean, no accumulations of crap around binding moving parts, etc.

They should IMV as ever be no more than: premium/test/gold rate=current season, "standard"/silver rate=1-2 seasons, "budget"/bronze rate=<3 seasons old. Any older than that is like a crappy pub - the turnover isn't high enough so the beer goes off. "Test" skis should also be something worth testing...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shockingmoment,

Did the same thing last year, decided to buy new skis so left my own skis at home and rented with a view to trying different skis throughout the week until I found ones I wanted to buy.

Caught an edge at speed on day 3, right ski did not release resulting in severed ACL. Bindings were set correctly but I had know way of knowing if they were realeasing on their setting. Unsurprisingly the shop said they were but would not let me have them checked independantly.

Personally I will never rent skis again, its just not worth the risk of injury. If I don't have my own I just won't ski.

If you do this please make sure you check the bindings out as thoroughly as possible, Dr Mike Langran's site has good advice (I'm wise after the event) on how to check.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
red 27 wrote:
kitenski, read the OP again... slowly...

yup, done that, still stand by my origional statement. do you want to spend the boys weekend trawling around shops, or sipping a cold one, as you've taken your own skis???
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
robboj, nasty injury, but really, do you think rental bindings are that dangerous?

If they were, there'd be a whole load more injuries than they are. You may have been unlucky and had a dodgy binding.

On the evidence presented though, it's the least probable cause. Sometimes bindings just don't release when they're supposed to.

So, deciding never to rent skis again (unless there are circumstances you haven't mentioned) seems a rather irrational reaction.

Sorry about your knee though, not good. I hope you're rehabing well.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

If you own skis, why rent???

I have my own skis, but sometimes rent:- depends on several things: snow conditions, airline ski carriage charges, how long I am going for, which airport I am going from and the hassle factor of getting there.....etc....etc.....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
People have different requirements, depending on the situation.

In this instance, we arrive late at GVA and don't want to wait around waiting for 5 pairs of skis + 1 board to arrive. And there'll be one pair at least that'll be late.

If we can get off sharpish theres at least 2h of 1st night beer to consume.

In addition - squeezing 6 of us into a hire car (or possibly 2 cars), with the skis / 1 board, plus our luggage....

1st morning - get up early, 1/2h in the ski shop - sorted.

Sorry to hear about your injury robboj.

However, I can catch an edge on the best skis, in very easy situations - and have done so too many times to mention. Always end up with a mouthful of snow. Nothing more serious yet.

Good point about the bindings not releasing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
robboj, sounds nasty... and has rather scared me. Never considered buying (I get 4 days on the snow a year) and always rent... only ever had "intermediate" skis and i tend to base my decision on them looking cool. Are there some obvious things to look out for?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Every time I use a different/boot binding config, I'll test them. A simple twist out will do this from the toe piece...IF ...your quads are in good shape. Depending on the make of the binding I can do this easily upto about DIN 9, which happily is about where I set them.

There are thoughts and arguments about setting toes and heels differently but you should know your kit for this... and of course, some might say that certain makers reference to DIN isn't quite on the money for an absolute reference that it
should be, All I know is what 8.5-9 feels like (roughtly ) and how much force it takes me to eject out of them.. It is a pretty stiff twist but gives me a degree of peace of mind.
latest report
You should be a little worried but not of rental bindings but that any binding could have the same results, i cant see how robboj can definatively blame the binding.. who knows if it "should" have released or not he is only guessing, but people feel better if they can blame something
latest report
geeo wrote:
You should be a little worried but not of rental bindings but that any binding could have the same results, i cant see how robboj can definatively blame the binding.. who knows if it "should" have released or not he is only guessing, but people feel better if they can blame something

Steady on. He did not say that they 'should' have released. He said that he had no way of knowing if they were realeasing on their setting, and that the rental shop would not let him have them checked independently.
ski holidays
shockingmoment, I you find a good shop then tell them what you ski on normally, and what sort of skiing you want to do and they should be able to produce a suitable ski for you. IMO no-on should ever take the base level hire skis as they are almost always cr@p! Make doesn't really matter that much, the type of ski is much more important.
ski holidays
David Murdoch, Knee is rehabing really well thanks, ACL was reconstructed late May and my final appointment with the consultant is late Nov, when I should be signed off to ski again. Booked a holiday for 2 weeks in January. You're right, it probably is irrational , but I feel that I am eliminating one more risk by making sure that I only use properly tested and set bindings.

ski-finder, No, the skis I rented were VIP rated Volkl Race Tigers with the Marker IPT Motion bindings. This happened on New Years day so the skis were a very few weeks old at most and looked as though they had only been used a couple of times, therefore no obvious sign or likliehood of a problem.

JT, Agree completely - exactly what I now know to do courtesy of wiser heads. shockingmoment, thanks, and I have done the same many times before, please follow JT's advice and also look at Mike Langrans Site - here is the link-

http://www.ski-injury.com/prevention/st

geeo, if I am blaming anything it is my skiing and no it does not make me feel better, the only indisputable fact is that if I hadn't fallen then there would have been no problem. However, I was not exactly dawdling when I went over the handlebars and stopped about 25m from where I first landed. I have done this before many times and know that it should have been no more than a faceful of snow, a couple of bruises, a badly dented ego and a good laugh for my skiing partners, perhaps even a candidate for wipeout of the week. Had I been on my own skis then I'm pretty sure this would have been the case.
ski holidays
robboj, I'm definitely not going to suggest to add any unnecessary risks...but equally I don't think anyone should be put off hiring based on your misfortune. Good luck in January, I'm sure you'll be fine.
snow conditions
marker bindings, I've said it before and I'll say it again, they suck. And I don't ski.
snow report
stab, nonsense.
ski holidays
David Murdoch, yeah I know, for sure I only get to see the rental versions, which do suck. But saying I'll never rent again because they didn't release is a bit sweeping, no end of people come back to where I work moaning that they fell and the binding didn't release, 9 times out of 10 it's the customer lying on the computer check in thing (skier type mostly). Skis aren't airbags are they, they aren't guaranteed to come off.
I saw a guy last winter who was seriously mangled up from a non release, face all smashed in and knackered leg, his bindings BFU checked out ok. Just one of those things I guess.

Now you should all man up and snowboard, release isn't an option Smile
snow report
stab, Ok I'll be a bit more specific.

I am not going to rent skis ever again because I do not trust any rental shop to have checked the bindings to the extent that my unfortunate experience has taught me to demand, if I am ever satisfied that one will do this I would consider renting again from them.

Your response just reinforces my view. rolling eyes

David Murdoch, You're quite right, I don't want to put anyone off renting - just encourage them to carry out a few simple checks and reduce the risk of same happening to them.
ski holidays
robboj, but what are the simple checks Puzzled
ski holidays
robboj wrote:
here is the link-
http://www.ski-injury.com/prevention/st

Nice one - thanks,

SM
latest report
ski-finder, They are in the in the link above.
snow report
robboj, ah yes... you can't i work with websites all day can't you! Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ski-finder, No worries, just make sure you check your bindings - and enjoy your skiing snowHead
snow report
David Murdoch,
There is a 'n' in the middle wink . Is the name of a Snowhead supposed to turn 'bold' automatically? Never does in my posts...

I agree with you and that was what I was trying to convey: brands have certain character which you can reasonably assume doesn't change very sharply (exceptions do exist!!) and so the questioner should find something familiar in the store.

Shockingmoment,
Some stores now have their full range of products on their websites, not just a couple of big brand names and categories (VIP, or stars...etc) . Your resort will have their official website and that will have links to the sites of rental shops (usually under 'rentals' or 'shopping'). Worth checking those out, with a bit of luck you will find the actual models they stock and you will be able to choose the more suitable ski.
snow report
So the general gist of the thread is to be cautious of rental equipment, as people have experienced difficulties with skis not releasing? And that the gear may not be kept in pristine condition, or the bindings may be faulty or whatever, possibly due to the lack of knowledge of shop staff?

So hands up who owns their own skis, keeps them in the shed all summer, drops them round to their local ski shop for a quick edge 'n wax once a year (which may be carried out by the fresh faced Saturday boy with who knows what experience...) and then scratches their head as they think of who to blame for any similar accidents?

Alas, skiing is inherently a dangerous pastime - if you are going to rent, then rent from a shop with the best reputation and don't lie about your ability, weight etc etc. If you own, ensure you look after your gear, and if you are unlucky enough to injure yourself, don't be so quick to point the finger of blame at others. Oh, and make sure you have adequate insurance.
ski holidays
Turns'n'turns wrote:
There is a 'n' in the middle wink . Is the name of a Snowhead supposed to turn 'bold' automatically? Never does in my posts...

Bold names are done automatically if you click on the name at the LHS of a previous post, it doesn't work with the name that you have chosen.
ski holidays
Guvnor wrote:
.......and if you are unlucky enough to injure yourself, don't be so quick to point the finger of blame at others. Oh, and make sure you have adequate insurance.

I hadn't noticed anyone in this thread had.
snow report
rjs wrote:
Turns'n'turns wrote:

Bold names are done automatically if you click on the name at the LHS of a previous post, it doesn't work with the name that you have chosen.

The single quote character screws up the javascript which adds the bold emphasis - this could be cured by admin changing the code to url_encode all usernames in the javascript call before the page is displayed, or by usernames being restricted to alphanumeric characters only.
snow conditions
ousekjarr, ha ha ha, best hijack I have seen for ages...did make me laugh tho'

robboj, would think with all the rehab, your quads are going to be in good shape..?
ski holidays
achilles, certainly robboj appears to have an axe to grind Confused
snow conditions
Guvnor, he's clearly cautious after a bindings related injury. So am I. He wonders if the shop looked after the bindings well. So do I. He does not blame anybody for the accident ("if I am blaming anything it is my skiing") - such things happen, but there is a niggle in the back of his mind. Me 2. He now uses his own skis because he feels more in control. So do I. Spyderjon looks after my skis. Keeps me happy, but I don't think friends who rent skis are idiots, and, unlike robboj, I still rent skis for specific occasions. But I am a bit picky where I rent them from, and I certainly don't go for a cheap pre-holiday deal.
ski holidays
achilles, So what you are saying is that you agree with the sentiment of my post in general, just wanted to get on my case about suggesting that some people are happy to apportion blame post-accident on anyone rather than themselves?

robboj, I would like to retract my previous statement, which may have inadvertantly suggested you implied blame on the rental shop. My apologies for any distress caused. The cheque is in the post....

Geez, when is the snow coming? People are getting really tetchy these days..... rolling eyes
ski holidays
stab, I have skied and fallen (lots) on my volkl/marker kit. never a problem.

...until I rented a ski with a non-marker binding. I fell and broke my ACL.

I had the bindings checked with my boots after the incident and they worked ok. All This of course means very little in statistical terms Confused
ski holidays
Guvnor, I was saying that no one had blamed anyone else. Frankly, I had lost the plot about the sentiment of your post. Toofy Grin

lampbus, yabbut, that was some fall in very bad light, when you couldn't see well enough to take any action which could have reduced the effects of falling. (Like you, I was there wink )
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy