Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

snow chains in Colorado do i need them in January?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

Booked a Nissan Equinox (or similar) for my trip from Denver to Dillon. Then round the great Colorado ski resorts. Now am i going to need snow chains and should the hire firm provide them? What are the mountain roads like going from Dillion to Breck, Keystone, A. Basin etc.

Any real life expereince and tips would be fantastic.

Cheers

Stu

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 14-10-08 14:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Someone must have experience driving in Dillon Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stuski, maybe if you made the thread title more direct? e.g. Will I need snow chains in Colorado? I have certainly been to the area but have no idea what Hire Car 3000 means.... (not driven though).

Also, when are you going?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx wrote:
Stuski, maybe if you made the thread title more direct? e.g. Will I need snow chains in Colorado? I have certainly been to the area but have no idea what Hire Car 3000 means.... (not driven though).

Also, when are you going?

Right on!

Going in January
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
O and hire car 300 are the company i booked my car hire though...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If it is a 4WD then you do not need snow chains on I70.
And the roads to Breck and Keystone are flat.
Avoid the Swan Mountain road (short-cut from Breck to Keystone) in snowstorms.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You don't "need" them for the most part.

But if it's looking like you're about to get dump on, you can simply ask at the counter and pay extra for a set.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers for the replies people. Since posting i stumbled across http://www.city-data.com/

Fantastic little website which has information on all states of America written by people who live(d) there. Think if natives can go 20 years without them i can go 2 weeks.

Cheers

Stu
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hey Stu. Martin Bell is on point. I lived in Summit County, Co for a number of years and drove a 4x4 Jeep Cherokee without chains almost exclusively. I-70 is quite well maintained but can be treacherous none-the-less. Don't be lulled into thinking that because it's a major highway it's "safe" in the winter. I-70 can get pretty dangerous especially with the amount of large truck traffic but chains won't be necessary. Have a great trip and make sure to get out to Arapahoe Basin and Copper Mountain. Not sure if Brecknridge is on your list, but it's actually one of the most mundane spots in the region as far as terrain and gets much more crowded than A-Basin or Keystone for example.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
abc wrote:
You don't "need" them for the most part.

But if it's looking like you're about to get dump on, you can simply ask at the counter and pay extra for a set.

Or buy them at any car parts store or major supermarket.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I just got an email from my sister and brother in law, on a road trip holiday out of San Francisco. They just got stuck in snow on a mountain pass and had to spend the night in a timber hut! Don't know where.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have skied 7 times in Colorado and always included Summit County in my holiday. Occasionally have hired a 4x4, but on at least three occasions have just used a regular car. On my last trip, in January 2006, there was a major dump and I was still able to get about relatively easily in my Chrysler PT Cruiser.
Having said that, the advice to take care on the I-70 is well placed. While I have never had any difficulty myself, there can be very heavy traffic on the interstate and it can be quite disconcerting if you're not used to it.
Once you get up into summit county however, as noted by Martin Bell, the roads are generally flat. Again, while Swan Mountain Road can be a very handy short cut between Breckenridge and Keystone, it's probably best avoided in a snowstorm, as is the Dillon Dam Road - better to stick to the interstate. You car almost certainly will be supplied with winter tyres which will help if there's snow on the ground, but just be sensible and drive to suit the conditions.
As for the skiing, do them all! As well as Breck, Keystone, A-Basin and Vail/Beaver Creek, you should alwso check out Copper Mountain and maybe even nip back through the Eisenhower Tunnel for a blast at Loveland.
Another useful tip is to register on the Barking Bear Forums at epicski.com They are a really friendly and helpful bunch and will hook up with you to cut a few tracks. If they work at the resort they might even offer you a discount voucher - from personal experience Happy
Have a great time - I'm very jealous.
CW
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Did that exact trip last year. Stayed in dillon too. No need for chains when we were there, just keep the 4-wheel-drive on and drive slow. Don't listen to the brecks haters if you've never been before - you have to go at least once and throw yourself off the lake chutes. Do the hike to the back 9 too. Copper and vail were my faves. I though keystone really lacked difficulty/challenge. Have an awesome trip.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy