Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Booking this years skiing - now or last minute?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Been doing my usual searching around the web and cant help but notice the prices have rocketed this year.
I would have thought it would be a buyers market with all the credit crisis talk in the media, but doesnt seem that way.

Even the lower end resorts are charging high prices and the French resorts seem to start at £1000+
(looking at half term I'm afraid)

Already got the usual bargain for Austria at Christmas, but once a year isnt enough anymore so half term it is, however
the Salzburg flight alone is close to £400

So... are we going to see the prices drop dramatically as tour ops desperately try to fill the planes and chalets?
I noticed there were less bargains last year than the year previous, not sure why, last minute booking not what it was?

Anyone any ideas or anyone in the industry got a few pointers for a keen skiier without unlimited funds!?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tips:

1. Book early rather than late for half term - it's expensive because it's popular and doesn't need to be cheap.
2. Spell 'skier' properly.

Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
heh I pondered long and hard about that spelling
I may have spelt it wrong but imho my spelling has a certain kind of poetry about it
you cant teach that in schools, its an in-built instinct for beauty I feel Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Monkfish, too early for the Credit Crunchie to have an effect on prices... wait until early Jan and see what's around then is my advice. Skiiiiers should have the upper hand this year over TO's IMV - those with any spare £$€'s anyways
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Monkfish, if you are looking at Salzburg are you only interested in Austria or are you suggestable? wink I AM in the industry, but am not finding owners slashing prices and there are plenty of enquiries - people are just taking longer to decide. If you would consider France and DIY, drop me a PM - I may be able to help as I heard today of some unexpected availability in PdS - unexpected becasue there is only one week and it is highly sought after. Many larger places in particular, have been booked for months Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Monkfish,
Half term seems more expensive this week than any other year as everyone seems to have the same half term.

I doubt you will get anything cheap unless you are prepared to hold your nerve and wait and hope for cancellations that may not happen.

If you can't do this my best suggestion would be to get out a map of Europe and either look for flights to places that are not traditional ski airports but are in reasonable striking distance from the alps with BA or similar or drive.

Accommodation in Austrian resorts is not outrageously priced though is more expensive than last year.

Alternatively go at Easter
Cheaper and sunnier with usually superb snow.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
T Bar wrote:
Monkfish, Alternatively go at Easter
Cheaper and sunnier with usually superb snow.

Would echo T Bar - I've advised many people to do just this, when what they wanted for HT either doesn't exist or was booked long, long ago Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
no.
skiing is going to be much more expensive this year. sterling has fallen in value so much that it is unavoidable*.

*only exception is scotland.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Crystal still have a SC deal for 2 (in an apartment for 4, would be cheaper with 4) for £500 half term week. Doesn't seem bad for a resort linked to Verbier. I thought about that before I booked a DIY to Zermatt.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Monkfish, you've left it too late to fly at any kind of reasonable price. Your best option could indeed be to go at Easter. Otherwise my own solution would be to drive to a less well known resort (there are hundreds of them) and do your own thing. But you'd need to think hard about how to manage the journey to avoid the worst of the inevitable traffic jams.

Or, of course, take the kids out of school and go in mid January. wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You could still do something cheapish for half term if you sacrifice convenience and self-cater. BA flights to Genoa for that week are still 'not bad' and that puts you within a 3 hour drive of lots of resorts. You're stuffed for the usual Geneva/Turin ski gateway destinations admittedly. Saying that 'French resorts start at £1000+' is simply not true. Do some more research into self-catered places (away from the big tour operators). Email tourist offices directly and get yourself in contact with local apartment owners with no web presence.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was referring to tour ops when I quoted the £1000+ price, even with going self-catering the price of the flights makes it a little prohibitive for me at the moment.

Looking like an Easter flight to Salzburg and drive down to Ski Amade ...again. Flights about £230 but it does leave Manchester early Saturday and reutrn late Sunday ...those extra 2 days skiing count for a lot!

Slight worry with the relatively low height of most of the resorts in the area at that time of year, had a few problems in Courcheval 2 years ago at Easter with the very warm weather we had then.

Austrias definately my preferred destination at the moment, slightly obsessed with the convenience and freedom a car and a Ski Amade pass gives you. Cheers for all the help
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Monkfish wrote:
Slight worry with the relatively low height of most of the resorts in the area at that time of year, had a few problems in Courcheval 2 years ago at Easter with the very warm weather we had then.

Warm!??! at Easter?!? Shocked Surely not!?! - You Heretic, expect to be flamed by certain landlord snowHead's hoping to get top $ for their gaff this year Toofy Grin

Seriously, you're sensible to be aware of the issue... Easter is very late this year, April 12th. Silly to compare it to last year when it was March 24th or something
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy