Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix January 10&17

Poster: A snowHead
I shall be going on a Ski Club of GB off-piste holiday to Chamonix 10 - 17 January.
The holiday includes 6 days skiing. However I plan to get out by 12.00, in time to ski all of the first Saturday afternoon (10th) and intend to leave on a late flight and ski the whole day on the last Saturday (17th).
If any good off-piste skier would like to meet up to ski either of those days I would love to hear from you. An avalanche transceiver would be an advantage.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 9-10-08 14:31; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowball,

hmmmm.... I am due to go to Val D Annivers on the 17th but might..just might, be stopping over in Chamonix on the way through.. as we did last year.

We haven't fine-tuned our travel arrangements so I will keep an eye on this.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
OK - I hope we can meet up. I expect a few of the others on the holiday will be joining me but I've had no response on that yet.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am now considering hiring Remy Lecluse on the last day (17th). He is free, so keen to hear from anyone interested. Might consider hiring for a half day only if it suits people better.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We'll be there, it could be fun to meet up! What kind of thing were you thinking of doing?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, it depends if enough people from the holiday (or other) want to hire Remy. But in general I would probably be skiing off piste as much as seemed safe. If not with Remy then probably at Argentierre on the last day.

Any chance of meeting up on the 10th - 12.30 or later? Perhaps you could show me a few things if you live there (I'm going by your Sig.) First ski of the year so I'd need to get my ski legs! Also for the 17th - might you want part of the action with Remy? I don't know what level you ski at. The holiday isn't the highest (gold) level, unfortunately, the SCGB have given up doing those, but it is the next down. Do you normally ski stuff like the Pas de Chevre? I wouldn't do that without a guide.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 15-10-08 9:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am out in contamine then and would be interested in sking probably the last sat. I may even have to go to the airport that evening so if all worked out could possibly give you a lift back there. Just depends when my friends are coming out.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi, brock, same question about Remy (have you skied with him?) and what level do you ski at?* Do you like the steep and deep?
I have booked Alpybus, to pick me up at 6.00, but thanks for the offer. If you ski with me and someone else skis with us who could use the lift, may I pass them to you?

* SCGB grades here if it helps!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Remy can ski both left and right.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Remy can ski both left and right.

Puzzled
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We've actually never done the Pas de Chevre because we've never yet been there when it's in condition and we've had someone to go with. But definitely up for it, or similar, depending on conditions! NB though, our skiing is nothing special so we'd be on snowboards for that. We're there from the 15th to the 24th with some friends, some of whom are good off piste skiers (they run a heli company in BC), and they might well want to come too. I'll see how the plans go, keep in touch!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hmm, strange - I've never been there when you couldn't ski the Pas de C. Well, occasionally there is too much avalanche danger for a while - as with anywhere else.
How many of you would there be? Guides normally won't take more than 6, or at the very most 7. I have one person from the holiday who wants to go.

What do you mean by "depending on conditions". A guide wouldn't take us down a run if it was unsafe.
If this goes ahead can you commit yourself and friends? I wouldn't want to book a guide and then suddenly find half the group withdraw. (Unless they have payed in advance wink )

Can you ski all snow conditions - including if necessary, breakable crust? (I'm not expecting you to be stylish on that Skullie Madeye-Smiley ) Are you happy to ski a 40º slope? Do you ski mostly off piste, or just occasionally? Are you happy to climb half an hour if necessary to get to something good?
How would you rate yourselfon the SCGB thingie above? (I'm not asking for Gold like on my own holidays - purple is fine).

Sorry for the third degree but it would be a pity if we couldn't ski the things we wanted to because someone wasn't up to it.

Guides are sometimes not happy to mix skis and boards because some things are much easier with one or the other (long traverses, skiing out on the flat) but it can certainly be done if we want.

Hope I haven't put you off Very Happy

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 16-10-08 0:10; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Price for the group is xxx, by the way, which is very good - some are over €400 !

Edited to take out Remy's rate which was a special one for me.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 7-01-09 18:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'll ask them and get back to you, agree, you don't want to be let down! Smile
There's always been either too much or too little on the P de C, (which is what I meant by 'depending on conditions') or we've been with people who couldn't do it.
I know some of the guides don't want to mix boards and skis, for understandable reasons. The Posettes Couloir is about 40 isn't it? That's about the level we like. I'll pm you my email...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Posettes couloirs are 35º-40º (I just checked in my off-piste book, in case my memory was off). That is a very nice slope.
Well, a particular descent may have problems, but it is very, very rare for there to be nothing off piste worth skiing! Usually, even in the worst conditions of lack of snow, with a bit of walking or a short minibus trip the guide knows something which has not been skied and is on a north face that collects snow. On just one occasion in Val Cenis, on the last day of a week with a guide, two weeks after the last snow, he couldn't think of anything worth doing off piste and took us ice climbing instead. (I do 3 weeks a year of off piste skiing, each one with 6 days with a guide). As far as I am concerned pistes are just a way to get to and from off piste.
JT and brock, any further thoughts?
ski holidays
Oh sure, there's always something! Smile
latest report
And I like a bit of ice climbing if all else fails Smile
snow conditions
And how about the 10th? Any chance we could meet in the afternoon and do Brevant/Flegere? Or will you be away?
snow report
That would be ideal but I doubt we'll be there because the chalet's rented out. Having said that, you never know. We might come early and stay with friends for a bit, if we're not busy, in which case it would be great. Off-piste at Flegere was amazing last January! Here's a pic from the top of the Floria on the 17th...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chaletlaforet/2199059645/in/set-72157603867305137/
snow conditions
firebug, your Alpenglow shots are amazing.
ski holidays
jbob, thanks!!
ski holidays
firebug, Gorgeous photos! Very Happy
snow report
Great photos. Any of those jumpers you?
snow conditions
 brian
brian
firebug,

This ...

is absolutely stunning. Very Happy
snow conditions
Thanks for the kind words!
Alas no. In fact, looking through that set, anyone who *isn't* jumping is me Laughing
ski holidays
Thanks Brian! The plus side of having long waits for the last gondola down at Flegere is that you get to see some amazing skies Smile
snow report
snowball,

My VDA lot are climbing in the Himalayas atm...but I think they are back very soon . I will try and hurry up an answer as soon as possible.
snow conditions
snowball, have just seen that remy lecluse should be in la grave on sat 17th of jan
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
He told me a couple of days ago he was free on the 17th . He said he was booked for the 18th. Where does it say he is booked for the 17th?
snow conditions
on the mountain tracks website it could be that the trip starts on the 17th but he does not start guiding untill the 18th
snow conditions
Still one place available. I unfortunately had a misunderstanding with firebug, thinking she was talking about their being a group of 4 (including 2 from the USA not confirmed yet) when she actually meant 3. So I told brock, probably I had no room and he has now arranged something else.
latest report
Now even firebug is doubtful so I'm back looking for people.
snow report
Still looking. I have only one other for sure but several possibles (from a position a few weeks ago when I put off one person because I thought I had too many).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy